Draftable players the Bengals have met with

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

My memory may be making this up, but it seems to me that this is the first year we have had this heavy a presence of OL/DL in our 30 prospect visits?

I'm loving seeing it personally

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

My memory may be making this up, but it seems to me that this is the first year we have had this heavy a presence of OL/DL in our 30 prospect visits?

Seems like it's more prevalent - at least, so far. It's good news because typically (going off of my faulty memory) they take at least one, if not more guys they bring in for a top 30 visit. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw some ST/returner kinda guys, too. 

Just now, BlackJesus said:

Since Sweat is in town, somebody check the Skyline nearest to the Stadium ... He might be getting a "snack" 

20180813-200623-largejpg.jpg

Might need to get an emergency credit card limit increase, too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

Seems like it's more prevalent - at least, so far. It's good news because typically (going off of my faulty memory) they take at least one, if not more guys they bring in for a top 30 visit. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw some ST/returner kinda guys, too. 

Myles Murphy visited last spring. Other 1st rounders who visited were Kincaid, Mayer, Nolan Smith

11 hours ago, texbengal said:

Not sure on that... smacks of Ogbuehi a bit. Has the tools, but also coming off of injury and he has less experience than Ced did. Exciting prospect but sounds like from what others have said/intimated, he needs reps and technique work. 402 snaps total is basically half a season. But I'm sure they are doing a lot of due diligence on him, as they should. 

I get the "ball of clay/you can mold him" stuff, and having Trent Brown at RT to start this season gives him time... but given Brown's injury history, tough to assume that he'll make it a full season without missing some time. so I'd be nervous with Mims starting games as a rookie. He's certainly athletic enough.

Anyway, maybe at #18, there will be other Ts available so they'll have a decision to make... or maybe they go DT or CB or WR. We'll know in a few weeks. 

For Mims, it was 402 true pass blocking snaps, which I think excludes play action. 0 sacks allowed for his college career is impressive, similar to Dawand Jones, though Mims is a bit smaller. He had a total of 803 snaps in his college career and only had 1 penalty called on him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

For Mims, it was 402 true pass blocking snaps ... 0 sacks allowed for his college career is impressive

Some quick pass set highlights of Mims at RT (note: he wore both #65 & #77) ...

^ When I watch Mims tape, I see someone who is very light on his feet. For him, it really is ballet. Despite his huge size, he usually wins by finesse, angles, and arm length, instead of power. He almost never lets the defender get into his body or drive him backwards. I would put his pass blocking at 9/10 and his run blocking at 6/10 = for a 7.5 average.

However, he lacks the nasty aggression you usually see from someone as big as him, and almost seems like a big brother playing against his little brother, who is not going full speed sometimes, but realizing he can win anyway on natural talent alone.

His frame is very lean and despite being 330 lbs he could probably play at 350 lbs and be a better run blocker with the extra girth. With 36" arms (same as Patrick Paul), he looks like he was created in a laboratory, as I think this is what an OT would look like if we had to show an alien an example of one. The wildcards would be his passion for the game, and lack of game experience. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, dex said:

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at LSU, Smith was primarily a three-technique defensive tackle in former defensive coordinator Matt House’s even fronts, although he
has experience everywhere from nose tackle out to the five-technique. He flashed impact potential as a true freshman in 2021, but he tore his ACL in the 2022 opener
and was still working his way back to form during the 2023 season, finishing his final season with only 4.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. With his long, large frame and
body quickness, it is very easy to see why Smith was a five-star recruit — and why NFL teams are intrigued with his pro ceiling. But he needs to land with a patient
coaching staff that can help him maximize his rare toolset. Overall, Smith is a traits-based prospect with his size, movement skills and pop at contact, but his
inexperience is evident on tape with his inconsistent technique, block recognition and rush plan. NFL teams covet 6-5, 300-pound athletes on the defensive line
and those types are in short supply in this draft class, which will only boost Smith’s draft projection.
GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 64 overall)

This from The Beast

On 4/17/2024 at 9:21 AM, spicoli said:

SUMMARY: Joshua Cephus (SEE-fuss) grew up in the Houston area and started playing football at age 4. His father (Rodney) played football at Texas Southern, and his
brother (Aaron) played at Rice and Hawaii. Cephus bounced between quarterback and receiver at Dekaney High (also a standout in baseball, basketball and track). A
two-star recruit, he spent five seasons at UTSA and became the school’s all-time leader in catches (313), receiving yards (3,639) and starts (56), working primarily out
of the slot. Using his body length, Cephus frames the football with natural focus away from his body — and drops are rare on his tape (2.8 percent career drop rate).
Although he is missing an explosive gear, he is crafty as a route runner and will uncover with his ability to sink or snap his stem. Overall, Cephus isn’t a burner and is
only average after the catch, but his body control and quarterback-friendly ball skills are better than several pass catchers currently playing on Sundays.
GRADE: 7th Round-Priority Free Agent

• Upvote 1