*** [RD 1] Bengals Select ~ AMARIUS MIMS, OT ***

18 minutes ago, dex said:

Here is a quote from Kirby Smart about the inexperience of Mims:

"I think the eight career starts is a mistake," Smart told reporters during Georgia's Pro Day on Wednesday, March 13. "What does that matter if you block Travon Walker, Nolan Smith, Robert Beal your whole career... Would you rather have a guy who's played 27 games and played against nobody or somebody who played against first-round draft picks every day at practice? I know which one I'm picking. ... He's uber-talented. He's going to play a long time [in the NFL]." 

We're not seriously going to brag about who you played against in practice, are we? 

• Like 1

I just heard that Seattle had Lautanu's previous OL/OC coach there now. I'm sure they loved Murphy, but the fact that they passed on Troy definitely says a little something, given that he was supposed to be such a beloved player (for those wishing we took him over Mims, however small of a group you may be). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sea Ray said:

We're not seriously going to brag about who you played against in practice, are we? 

Not just practice, he played in the college football playoff and played well. He went up against top competition as a starter. The only concern here should be about his number of snaps, not whether or not he can play or needs to fix parts of his games. I get the concerns I have them too, but this isn't a project the kid is good, and with him not being forced to start he can be brought along at a pace that will let him be ready when Brown leaves or gets hurt. 

I was 75% for and 25% against going in because of the playing time concerns and "health" doing some research on the injury he had, I'm not concerned about health anymore, just snaps. He will get those. But I think the people calling this a project haven't watched his tape.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

A bevy of first round picks who went on to prove it in the NFL? Why not? Word on the street is that he never lost a one-on-one there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Well, players certainly get far more total reps in practice than they do in official games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cat said:

So... does this pick suck or not? What I'm reading is that he's another project, but on the other hand he's the next Big Willie.

He's not Willie. Willie could run block. Mims is a pass blocker that has the size and athletic ability to run block but that's not his game, he is a guy that is athletic enough to move to left tackle once OBJ is gone. Assuming he works out at right for a few years. None of the other tackles that might have been there could do that.

That said the sample size is not as large as the other guys, but what sample is there is top tier. 

• Upvote 1

In the moment, it was a sound choice. If developmental metrics are involved, it has way more ceiling than floor. 

In longer-term, I doubt strongly that he will bust out. There are enough good things now to merit that he will be at the very least a decent pro. He’s a natural RT—which merits the choice for development also. But reading some bloviating media yakkers—they are creeping in on the “athletic enough for LT”. Don’t go anywhere near that until you find out what you have at RT. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He's not Willie. Willie could run block. Mims is a pass blocker that has the size and athletic ability to run block but that's not his game, he is a guy that is athletic enough to move to left tackle once OBJ is gone. Assuming he works out at right for a few years. None of the other tackles that might have been there could do that.

That said the sample size is not as large as the other guys, but what sample is there is top tier. 

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm supposed to hang myself or be happy...

16 minutes ago, Cat said:

So... does this pick suck or not? What I'm reading is that he's another project, but on the other hand he's the next Big Willie.

Duke Mayweather of OL Masterminds says:

"Athletic FREAK and just a ball of clay, best football is ahead of him and he's an even better person."

Good enough for me from the guru.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Duke Mayweather of OL Masterminds says:

"Athletic FREAK and just a ball of clay, best football is ahead of him and he's an even better person."

Good enough for me from the guru.

Yep...

Duke is the master of teaching olinemen.

Keen eye on flaws to correct.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

In the moment, it was a sound choice. If developmental metrics are involved, it has way more ceiling than floor. 

In longer-term, I doubt strongly that he will bust out. There are enough good things now to merit that he will be at the very least a decent pro. He’s a natural RT—which merits the choice for development also. But reading some bloviating media yakkers—they are creeping in on the “athletic enough for LT”. Don’t go anywhere near that until you find out what you have at RT. 

I'm fine with him getting reps at both spots for now, if either Brown goes down he will need to step in at one of those spots. Now for the short term yes right tackle and if he works out and they think he can do it move him when OBJ leaves and get a right tackle at that point.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The injury stuff does concern me but I have to assume the difference between NFL strength & conditioning vs college is dramatic, even at a program like Georgia.  The fact that he (apparently) tried to come back while still hurt says a lot.  Good on the Bulldog coaches for having the sense to pull him before he made things worse but I'm confident this guy will be on the field if he's at all able.  No more of these OTs that seem to keep coming up with mysterious muscle strains every time they have to jog a lap.

Still wouldnt mind seeing 2-3 more OL picks in this draft but what a relief to see them do the obvious thing and invest in what should be a long term answer at OT.

When I hear the injury stuff, I go back and look at Anthony Munoz college career.

Dinged up a lot and look how he turned out.

And welcome back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Can't find an exact figure but from Wiki... (edited by me)

Muñoz played college football at the University of Southern California from 1976 to 1979.  The Trojans won a bowl game in all four of Muñoz's seasons, including three victories in the Rose Bowl. However, injuries had cut Muñoz's freshman and junior seasons short, forcing him to miss the team's Rose Bowl wins in both years.

In the opening game of his senior year, Muñoz suffered torn knee ligaments and had to miss all of the remaining regular season games, though he did return for USC's 17–16 Rose Bowl win over the previously undefeated Ohio State University on New Year's Day in 1980.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1