*** [RD 4] Bengals Select ~ ERICK ALL, TE ***

Erick All TE, IOWA

Height: 6-5, Weight: 250

Experienced three-down TE with receiving confidence and production. Has the athleticism to get open on occasion in the NFL and has a flair for the spectacular grab in traffic. Route-running intricacies are a part of what he brings to the field and is a solid albeit unspectacular blocker. Doesn't have serious seam-stretching speed. (Chris Trapasso)

Summary

All is an experienced, well-rounded TE with receiving chops and improving blocking skill. Doesn't quite have the juice needed to separate at the top of his route if he needs to throttle down to change directions, but his burst off the line is impressive, and he ran a variety of routes in college. Definitely some nuance to his route-running ability. Can flash some wiggle if he's staying vertical in the route. Not particularly fast for the position but his acceleration off the snap allows him to sneak up on DBs and LBs down the field. Will bounce off tackles after the catch. Blocking has improved over time. Used as a lead blocker often and mostly successful finding LBs and delivering a pop. Does tend to lunge into those blocks, though. Will make the occasional freaky catch in traffic but hands could be a bit more reliable overall. New-age TE2 type but has a complete game.

About
  • 2023: Led team in receiving yards despite missing final 7 games
  • 2021 (at Michigan): Honorable mention All-Big Ten
Strengths
  • Has enough athletic burst to threaten vertically
  • Strong hands to make difficult grabs in traffic
  • Glimpses of YAC via contact balance

Love the player *if* he’s healthy. 

He can really run, catch, block… everything. Wasn’t sure why he left Michigan because he was great there. Can get down the seam, breaks tackles. 

but he’s had some terrible injury luck. 

• Upvote 1

11. ERICK ALL | Iowa 6043 | 252 lbs. | 5SR Fairfield, Ohio (Fairfield) 9/13/2000 (age 23.62) #83

BACKGROUND: Erick All, the middle child of three, grew up in Richmond, Ind. When he was five months old, in February 2021, his family home was engulfed in flames. All wasn’t breathing when a fireman (Tom Broyles) rescued him from a second-story window, but an EMT (Shawn Phenis) was able to resuscitate him. After 10 days in the hospital, All returned home with only a few minor scars. Hisfamily relocated to Ohio, where All blossomed in youth sports in Fairfield, specifically baseball and football. He attended Fairfield High School, where he played JV as a freshman and varsity his final three seasons (teammates with future FBS OT Jackson Carman and DE Malik Vann).

After recording 15 catches for 248 yards as a sophomore wide receiver, All moved to tight end as a junior and caught 28 passes for 336 yards and three touchdowns, earning first team All-Conference and second team All-District. As a senior, he led Fairfield to a 7-4 record and the school’s fourth straight trip to the state playoffs. He again finished first team All-Conference as a senior with 30 catches for 465 yards and four touchdowns. All also punted and returned punts and was named Fairfield’s Special Teams MVP. He also played varsity baseball as a sophomore but gave up the sport to focus on year-round football.

A four-star recruit, All was the No. 12 tight end in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in Ohio. With Cade Stover list ed as a linebacker, All was the highestranked tight end recruit in the state. His first offer was from his hometown Cincinnati in June 2017, followed by nearby Kentucky and Indiana. All later added Power 5 offers from Boston College, Florida State, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Wisconsin. He earned MVP honors at a Michigan camp the summer before his senior year and committed to the Wolverines in June 2018. Growing up an Alabama fan, All disliked his home state Buckeyes, which was another driving force that led him to Ann Arbor. He was the No. 13 recruit in Michigan’s 2019 class. After missing most of the 2022 season following surgery, All entered the transfer portal and left on messy terms, stemming from split opinion regarding his 2022 back injury (All’s tweet: “Not everything/everyone are what they seem and I learned that from my time at Michigan.”). Because of how Iowa features the tight end position, he had his eye on the Hawkeyes even before entering the portal and committed soon after visiting Iowa. His girlfrie nd gave birth to the couple’s son (Houston) in September 2022, and the family lived together in Iowa City in 2023. All earned his general studies bachelor’s degree from Michigan. He would have received an invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl had it not been for his ACL injury.

YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD DROP NOTES 2019: (11/0) 1 10 10.0 0 0 Michigan; Enrolled in January 2019 2020: (6/2) 12 82 6.8 0 4 Michigan 2021: (13/8) 38 437 11.5 2 4 Michigan; Honorable Mention All-Big Ten 2022: (3/2) 3 36 12.0 0 0 Michigan; Missed the final 11 games (spinal surgery); Team captain 2023: (7/7) 21 299 14.2 3 4 Iowa; Led team in receiving; Missed the final seven games (ACL) Total: (40/19) 75 864 11.5 5 12 HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6043 252 10 1/8 33 79 - - - - - - - - (no workout – right knee) PRO DAY 6044 253 10 1/8 32 3/8 80 - - - - - - - - (no workout – right knee)

STRENGTHS: Smooth athlete with adequate size for the position … works well down the seam and can pull away from linebackers at the second level … smooth in his route transitions and sustains his momentum out of breaks to win on slants or digs … finishes with quickness and toughness as a ball carrier … big, accepting hands and appears natural adjusting to throws … does a nice job isolating the football with crowded catch points … gives consistent blocking effort … at his best blocking on the move, connecting on the backside of split-zone runs or picking off linebackers at the second level … physical at contact as a lead blocker to help spring runs (see 2023 Purdue tape) … a team captain at Michigan and quickly indoctrinated himself as part of the Hawkeyes’ program.

WEAKNESSES: Dropped too many easy throws … can run the full route tree but lacks refinement with his steps and pacing, giving defenders a chance to drive on the catch point … can be baited into extra contact with defenders … only average physicality as a blocker and doesn’t have the body power to turn defenders from the hole … wasn’t asked to block in pass protection … his medical evaluation will be paramount after he suffered back-to-back season-ending injuries — he underwent “life-changing” spine surgery at the BioSpine Institute in Fort Myers, Fla. (October 2022), which sidelined him for most of the 2022 season; tore the ACL i n his right knee (October 2023) and missed the second half of the 2023 season.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Iowa, All was a “move” tight end in former offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s pro-style spread scheme (56.2 percent of his snaps in the slot, 41.3 percent inline). After four years in Ann Arbor, he needed a fresh start following his 2022 back injury. He then led Iowa in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns in 2023, despite missing the final seven games (ACL tear). A promising pass catcher, All shows athletic movements up and down the field with natural tracking skills, although he needs to cut back on focus drops. Though he is more strong than powerful, All is competent as a blocker with his ability to locate and hook defenders from the backfield or wing. Overall, All needs to continue developing his consistency, but he is solid across the board with his athletic receiving traits and willingness as a blocker. If healthy (a big “if”), he projects as a No. 2 tight end on an NFL depth chart, as an F tight end or H-back.

• Upvote 1

I understand why Mims was maybe a better pick than some other healthier player but when we're down to the middle of the 4th round? IDK, think I'd rather take someone that's not rehabbing ACL and back surgery. I doubt this guy was markedly better than everyone else still available.

Not to be funny but I'm for drafting players that could at least walk to the podium unassisted. Or was this guy a first round pick if healthy?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I understand why Mims was maybe a better pick than some other healthier player but when we're down to the middle of the 4th round? IDK, think I'd rather take soneone that's not rehabbing ACL and back surgery. I doubt this guy was markedly better than everyone else still available.

Not to be funny but I'm for drafting players that could at least walk to the podium unassisted. Or was this guy a first round pick if healthy?

No, if healthy, this is about where he'd be picked. Bengals must be confident about his medicals since they didn't discount him. I'd have expected Stover or Wiley to go beore All since he doesn't have any especially stand out qualities. But he's well rounded. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I understand why Mims was maybe a better pick than some other healthier player but when we're down to the middle of the 4th round? IDK, think I'd rather take soneone that's not rehabbing ACL and back surgery. I doubt this guy was markedly better than everyone else still available.

I hate to say it, but this feels like a Mike Brown "hometown special", just as I suspect Carman was.  I guess back problems is just part of the package.

I like All's tape, but as many are saying here... why?  We didn't need a question mark player here.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No, if healthy, this is about where he'd be picked. Bengals must be confident about his medicals since they didn't discount him. I'd have expected Stover or Wiley to go beore All since he doesn't have any especially stand out qualities. But he's well rounded. 

In that case it doesnt seem like good value for the pick. I guess it may solve the yearly musical chairs at TE... Next year, if we're lucky.

3 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I hate to say it, but this feels like a Mike Brown "hometown special", just as I suspect Carman was.  I guess back problems is just part of the package.

I like All's tape, but as many are saying here... why?  We didn't need a question mark player here.

The same thought crossed my mind.  Save the charity for UDFA's, we're trying to draft football players today.. right?

• Upvote 1