9 hours ago, dex said:

There is no reason why Jenkins can't be a good pass rusher as well as a great run stuffer. Strength and athleticism are both elite. The guy has a great motor 

Agree..

Reggie White was both..😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Griever said:

Is 74 the UDFA OT from Louisville? (name escapes me)...

Really hope this dude, Lee, and any other former OL that might get off the wrong bus outside the stadium manage to crack this roster.  The depth chart couldn't be much easier for making an NFL team.

At this point I'd settle for a side-grade just to have some fresh bodies in there.  These career backup tank mode players like Flounder, Smith, Ford etc need to either step it up or find themselves a way out of here. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Griever said:

Aside from the obvious jets on display here, from other stuff I'm seeing I'm really not getting the "head case" impression he came with..  These college programs promise the world to 17-18 year old kids & then let them run riot on their campuses like it's their royal kingdom.  For the vast majority whatever bullshit they get into there, stays there,  My impression so far is that he's here to work, there's nothing about how he carries himself that seems off to me. Maybe he's just sneaky like that but there have been plenty of other Bengals rookies I couldn't say that about.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Mike Brown (in the foreground) even had to stand up from his golf cart to look at this 8th Wonder of the Queen City ...

IMG_20240511_031621.jpg

Hand placement with those long vines

along with consistent leverage will make him devastating .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Mike Brown (in the foreground) even had to stand up from his golf cart to look at this 8th Wonder of the Queen City ...

IMG_20240511_031621.jpg

Either that's meant to say "background" or Ol Musty sent Amarius to The Sunken Place on some ill shit

30 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Definitely The Mutant..

I thought "The Mutant" was the Dline guy Kris Jenkins?  I guess all those big guys are mutants though.  :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Aside from the obvious jets on display here, from other stuff I'm seeing I'm really not getting the "head case" impression he came with..  These college programs promise the world to 17-18 year old kids & then let them run riot on their campuses like it's their royal kingdom.  For the vast majority whatever bullshit they get into there, stays there,  My impression so far is that he's here to work, there's nothing about how he carries himself that seems off to me. Maybe he's just sneaky like that but there have been plenty of other Bengals rookies I couldn't say that about.

His interviews show a pretty difficult guy to deal with. It's consistent. I hope he can get through it. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

James Rapien said all these deep ball passes have been off play action.

God if we can get more under center stuff I am gonna be really happy.

Its up to Zach to make the decisions under JBs desire to what suits his style the best.

• Like 2

I know no one really wants to hear it but I thought his throwing motion looked kind of awkward and some of the passes I've seen didn't have the same velocity I'm used to seeing from him.

Real games are still months away so I'm not too concerned but with all these people saying he looks exactly the same it makes me wonder. Would they shut him down if need be or keep sticking their heads in the sand? They have a tendency to ignore problems and insist everything is fine well past the point it becomes obvious to everyone else.

It's like the team keeps insisting he's Superman and doesn't have to recover from injuries like a normal person to avoid admitting they've done a pathetically bad job of keeping him healthy. I don't think they're being honest with us, him, or themselves and it's not a good look.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It's like the team keeps insisting he's Superman and doesn't have to recover from injuries like a normal person to avoid admitting they've done a pathetically bad job of keeping him healthy. I don't think they're being honest with us, him, or themselves and it's not a good look.

I think the coaches may have put too much trust in Burrow's opinion, like last summer when they didn't shut him down after he felt tightness in his calf and then injured it severely the next day at practice. That was definitely on the coaches as well as Burrow.

But 3 of the 4 months of Augusts  he's missed virtually in their entirety in his career, all of which has led to slow team starts, have absolutely nothing to do with offensive line play. Assuming that's where you were going with "...pathetically bad job of keeping him healthy."

2020 - COVID restrictions

2022 - Ruptured appendix surgery

2023 - Non-contact calf injury

16 minutes ago, dex said:

I think the coaches may have put too much trust in Burrow's opinion, like last summer when they didn't shut him down after he felt tightness in his calf and then injured it severely the next day at practice. That was definitely on the coaches as well as Burrow.

But 3 of the 4 months of Augusts  he's missed virtually in their entirety in his career, all of which has led to slow team starts, have absolutely nothing to do with offensive line play. Assuming that's where you were going with "...pathetically bad job of keeping him healthy."

Ending the season on IR every other year was because of OL play, but I think it goes beyond that. It's not the fact the OL is bad, it's more the amount of golly-gee bullshit coming from the team when things don't go as planned. 

I don't really expect them to be brutally honest with their fans (consumers) but it seems like they're bullshitting themselves as well.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dex said:

Agreed.  The knee injury can safely be blamed on the OL, but I don’t see it as the main issue with what happened last year.  In the three offseason since the Super Bowl, they have made moves at OL in free agency (Cappa, Karras, Collins, OBJ, Brown) and the draft (Volson, Mims) with varying results.  That’s the way shit goes there’s no guarantee with any signing or draft pick.  

There's no evidence the team has even tried to upgrade from Frank Pollack as the O-line coach. They brought in a new guy from Seattle to help him but the Seahawks aren't exactly known for great O-line play themselves. Brian Callahan might have had a head coaching gig sooner if his dad had worked with him in Cincinnati. We could have poached the assistant O-line coach from Cleveland or Philadelphia as Pollack's replacement. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

There's no evidence the team has even tried to upgrade from Frank Pollack as the O-line coach. They brought in a new guy from Seattle to help him but the Seahawks aren't exactly known for great O-line play themselves. Brian Callahan might have had a head coaching gig sooner if his dad had worked with him in Cincinnati. We could have poached the assistant O-line coach from Cleveland or Philadelphia as Pollack's replacement. 

The Bengals are satisfied with Pollack

We:ll see how he does with "The  Skyline Unit"  now.

I see good things in  protection for 

JB this season.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The Bengals are satisfied with Pollack

Sure seems that way but..

Why? He's consistently fielded one of the worst OL's since he got the job, despite the addition of highly-regarded FA's. Good vets come here and suddenly look like bums. If that's not coaching what is it?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sure seems that way but..

Why? He's consistently fielded one of the worst OL's since he got the job, despite the addition of highly-regarded FA's. Good vets come here and suddenly look like bums. If that's not coaching what is it?

Noone can truly answer that.

He serms respected but is an enigma up to now..