Grady Jackson anyone?

fwiw-

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077313"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077313[/url]

[quote]Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Hall blasts Petrino over Jackson's release
Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall went off again on Atlanta Falcons coach Bobby Petrino, saying Wednesday the team appears to be giving up on the season with its release of Grady Jackson.

Hall was already fined $100,000 and had to sit out the first half of a game for getting into a sideline confrontation with the rookie coach during Week 3. Even so, the cornerback didn't mince words when asked for his reaction to Jackson being cut the previous day.

"I don't know what kind of message is being sent to let Grady go," Hall said. "I'm trying to go [all] out on every single snap. But a lot of guys feel like everyone from the top down is kind of turning it in."

Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 350-pound run-stopper, topped the league with 13 tackles for losses last season. This year, the 11-year veteran was the leader among Falcons defensive linemen with 21 tackles, including 5½ for losses and one sack.

Petrino denied the Falcons (1-6) were going with youth and preparing for 2008 by releasing the 35-year-old Jackson. Rookie Trey Lewis, a sixth-round pick, takes over as the starter.

"It had nothing to do with anything but football," the coach said. "It was just the way we wanted to go. We felt like for our best opportunity to win games, the next nine games that we played, this was the right move to make and that's really all there is to it."

Hall wasn't buying that logic.

"If that's the case ... they can probably cut me too," Hall said. "They need to cut all 53 of us. Nobody is playing the way they should be playing right now, obviously. I mean, we're 1-6. To sit there and single out Grady is just asinine. It's ridiculous."

Hall wasn't the only one caught off-guard by the move. Running back Warrick Dunn was more diplomatic but just as stunned.

"It's a shock," Dunn said. "We're all asking the question why? Did he do something wrong? I don't know."

Petrino has come under increasing criticism in the locker room as the losses have piled up. A couple weeks ago, Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler, one of the team's most respected leaders, blasted the coach's play-calling and said it appeared the team was focusing on younger players at the expense of veterans.

On Wednesday, Hall said Crumpler was speaking on behalf of all veterans when he pointed out all the younger players that Petrino kept on the roster.

"We've got so many players that ain't made a play around here," Hall said. "It don't make no sense. We gave a lot of people jobs. Now, to sit around here and single Grady out and say he's the reason why [the team is losing] ... that's just ludicrous. If they've got something better and more concrete to go off of, I'd love to hear it. But I'm not buying that one."

Hall took a more subtle shot at Petrino, who left Louisville after last season for a five-year, $24 million contract with the Falcons. The cornerback has one more year left on his contract.

"I didn't just sign a lucrative deal where I can sit around and watch this ship sink," Hall said. "I can't do that. I've got one more year on my deal. I feel as though I can go out and get a ton of money, whether it's here of somewhere else. I've got a lot of stuff to play for."

But he wondered how much effort some of his teammates would give if they felt the Falcons were looking ahead to next season.

"It's kind of hard for the other guys to play 100 percent ... knowing that everyone is not on board from the front office on down," Hall said.[/quote]

[quote][b]The Dolphins also signed Quentin Moses[/b], the former Georgia defensive lineman who was a third-round pick this year by the Oakland Raiders. Moses, who was cut by the Raiders and the Cardinals, is the fifth defensive linemen to be added in the past two weeks.

[b]Miami also added two practice squad players: quarterback Casey Bramlet [/b](who was the MVP of last year's World Bowl) and tight end Buck Ortega (a former Hurricanes player and the son of former Dolphins linebacker Ralph Ortega).[/quote]

[url="http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/282016.html"][url="http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/282016.html"]http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/282016.html[/url][/url]

Bramlet lives again!!!! :headbang:

I would not be surprised if he is the guy we face in the season finale against the Dolphins. They just need to face facts that they fucked the pooch reaching for Ginn when they should had taken Quinn. Lemon is....well, a lemon, and that Beck kid is probably just another warm body.

Hell, they should have stuck with Culpepper. At least he's playing OK in Oakland.

And for the record, I still think we should have kept Bramlet over Krenzel, but that's water under the bridge now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='578630' date='Oct 26 2007, 09:59 AM']ESPN just said he will probably wait a bit to see who the playoff contenders are, as Atlanta is still paying him $1 million this year. So he's in no hurry.

They said 6 teams called him the night he was cut, but only mentioned the Titans by name.[/quote]

I heard the Colts and Browns mentioned too.

But I read that he expects to sign with a team sometime
within the next week.

[quote name='Rick' post='578664' date='Oct 26 2007, 12:09 PM']If the Colts are interested in him, is there any question where he will go! The rich get richer! BOO.[/quote]

Then we should offer him more.

Maybe I'm panicking but, ...hey, ...I've got a right to today!

:panicbutton:

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='580847' date='Oct 29 2007, 12:22 AM']Jeb, by looking at the post in this thread, it appears many here don't want Grady, I for one do... Hell, if the world champion Colts want him, who's D is better than ours, I'm sure us lowly Bengals should really take a look.[/quote]

The guy is still a force and we need a key player like that and we need him, ....NOW!

[quote name='Soundwave' post='580864' date='Oct 29 2007, 12:48 AM']We don't need him. I heard a big reason he got cut was because he does his own thing out there. We've already got enough guys improvising.[/quote]

Definitely. Plus if you are one of those who believe the season is completely over, why waste time on a guy who won't be here after the season. At that point, I'd rather spend roster spots on youth.

It looks like he is going in for a visit with the Jaguars. They already have one of the best DT tandems in the league in Stroud and Henderson, and a great Run D, but they're looking to improve. We have a run D that gets parted like Moses parted the Red Sea and we stand pat twiddling thumbs. Damn.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='581786' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:22 PM']It looks like he is going in for a visit with the Jaguars. They already have one of the best DT tandems in the league in Stroud and Henderson, and a great Run D, but they're looking to improve. We have a run D that gets parted like Moses parted the Red Sea and we stand pat twiddling thumbs. Damn.[/quote]

[quote]Free agent DT Jackson meets with Jags
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Updated: October 29, 2007, 11:06 PM ET

Free agent nose tackle Grady Jackson, the standout run defender released by the Atlanta Falcons last week, arrived in Jacksonville on Monday night to visit with Jaguars coaches and team officials.

Barring a breakdown in contract negotiations, Jackson figures to sign with the Jaguars as early as Tuesday, sources said.

In a surprising move, the Falcons last Tuesday released the 11-year veteran, who had started in 22 of 23 games since signing with the franchise as an unrestricted free agent in 2006 and who has long been regarded as one of the NFL's toughest interior defenders.

Landing Jackson would add further depth and experience to a defensive tackle that already rates among the NFL's best.

The Jaguars feature a pair of Pro Bowl tackles in former first-round draft choices Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The backups are Rob Meier, Tony McDaniel and Derek Landri. But the Jaguars, who statistically rank No. 15 in the league in both total defense and defense versus the run through the first eight weeks of the season, haven't yet gotten the kind of play at the position to which they are accustomed.

Stroud underwent offseason microfracture surgery to address a chronic ankle problem and his rehabilitation stretched into training camp, where he was limited to one practice per day. Henderson has struggled at times in 2007 to reach his past performance level. There is some suspicion that Henderson is not 100 percent physically.

Grady has the kind of size head coach Jack Del Rio and defensive coordinator Mike Smith prefer upfront, and he would fit well with a unit whose first priority is to stop the run.

Jacksonville is one of several teams to have contacted agent Angelo Wright about Jackson and is the only franchise with which he has scheduled a visit. There have been preliminary contract discussions, and the two sides are expected on Tuesday to ramp up the negotiations, provided the visit goes well.

The day after his release, Jackson said his priority is to sign with a playoff contender.

Last week's abrupt release of Jackson, whose physical presence and ability to command double-team blocking helped improved the Falcons' run defense in 2006, ended a brief but tumultuous relationship between the team and the player.

In March, Jackson, upset over his contract status, sued the Falcons for defamation and invasion of privacy, claiming team officials had leaked information to the media about the physical examination he took with the club in 2006. Jackson charged that the negative information, which suggested he might have a heart condition, scared off other potential suitors who might have considered signing him.

The lawsuit was eventually resolved and the Falcons reworked Jackson's contract, adding a year to the deal he originally signed in 2006 and providing him a mechanism to earn more money. Under the new deal, the Falcons paid Jackson a $250,000 signing bonus and a roster bonus of $250,000, in addition to his $1 million base salary for 2007.

Jackson, 35, was under contract through 2009, at base salaries of $1 million each year, and with roster bonuses of $2 million in the spring of 2008 and 2009.

Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said the release of Jackson was strictly a football decision, and it is true that he was not playing well and was uncharacteristically doing a lot of freelancing and playing outside the directives of the Atlanta scheme. But team sources also conceded that part of the rationale in releasing Jackson was to send a message to some veterans on the slumping team.

His spotty play this season aside, few players can clog the inside like Jackson and, even at his age, he is still effective.

In 146 career games, Jackson has 440 tackles, 33½ sacks, eight forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and 26 pass deflections.

The former Knoxville College star began his career with the Oakland Raiders and played there for five seasons (1997-2001). He has also had stints with New Orleans (2002-03), Green Bay (2004-05) and the Falcons (2006-07).[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3086130"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3086130[/url]

Archived