Redskins' Taylor Is Shot at His Home

Jamie_B

[url="http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=293&sid=1298553"]http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=293&sid=1298553[/url]

[quote]MIAMI (AP) - Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.

Miami-Dade County police officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. and found him shot. He was then airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know where on Taylor's body he was shot.

A brief statement from the Redskins said Taylor was undergoing treatment at the Miami hospital and that police were investigating. His family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought for $900,000 two years ago.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games with a knee injury.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

The man, Ryan Hill, also sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill suffered bruising to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.[/quote]

[quote][size=5][b]Redskins safety Sean Taylor shot in Florida, in critical condition [/b][/size]

By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer
November 26, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.

Officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know what part of his body was injured.

Taylor's family asked that no information about his condition be released, hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson said.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought two years ago. The 24-year-old player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games because of a knee injury.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow let anyone into his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Associated Press writers Jessica Gresko and Joseph White contributed to this report.[/quote]

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='599600' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:40 AM']I just read on ESPN a couple of minutes ago that he was shot in the leg and it was NOT critical.....

hmmm... I guess time will tell.[/quote]

reported on sirius that he just went through a "life saving operation"...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='599574' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:05 AM']Sad for him but not really surprised. The types of people these "thuggish" NFL/NBA players surround themselves with lend themselves to these types of occurrences.
Hope he's OK though.[/quote]

he hasnt been a "problem" since the previous incadent.

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='599615' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:49 AM']I wish no Ill Will on any man, but for all the reasons I care not to mention, this doesn't surprise me....[/quote]
He's a black athlete, has dreads, and spits on people...prob had it coming huh....

My understanding was it was "critical" supposedly because the bullet clipped the femoral artery and with that comes the possibility of bleeding out if not taken care of immediately.

That said, what would have the medias' headlines been had it been a Bengal?

[color="#FF0000"][b]From what I heard, Taylor was apparently shot in the groin area. Thats not a good place to get shot at.
He could have sustained some damage to a main artery and that could be bad.......very bad.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='599574' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:35 PM']Sad for him but not really surprised. The types of people these "thuggish" NFL/NBA players surround themselves with lend themselves to these types of occurrences.
Hope he's OK though.[/quote]

I thought I heard somewhere that it was a robbery attempt.......maybe if he had some of his "thuggish" NFL/NBA players surrounding him, he wouldn't have been shot.

[quote name='jza10304' post='599617' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:20 PM']He's a black athlete, has dreads, and spits on people...prob had it coming huh....[/quote]

Damn right! -_-

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='599622' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:55 AM']My understanding was it was "critical" supposedly because the bullet clipped the femoral artery and with that comes the possibility of bleeding out if not taken care of immediately.

That said, what would have the medias' headlines been had it been a Bengal?[/quote]

That is what i heard on espn radio around 1:00pm. They said it was a robbery.

[quote name='jza10304' post='599617' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:50 AM']He's a black athlete, has dreads, and spits on people...prob had it coming huh....[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='599623' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:56 AM']sadly thats what many think[/quote]

Don't care if the fella is darker, don't care if the fella has dreads...it's the spitting in peoples faces... thats the bullshit, and repeatedly too...total disrespect of your fellow human. Dude hawked a loog strait in T.J's face, and michael pittman's ; whats up with that?

and, Dude's been fined MULITIPLE times for late hits...blowing someone up, probably defensless, after a whistle...or unecessarily. I'll call it a trend, and how much other shitting on your fellow humans has taken place, and been given little to no publicity?

Silly fools think they can do as they please and nothing will happen to them in return?

HA!

Kids gonna be fine, but, and I hope I'm wrong, I think the hint will slide on by...

[quote]POSTED 1:34 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

COOLEY SAYS TAYLOR IN COMA AFTER SURGERY by Michael David Smith

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley told the media that his teammate, safety Sean Taylor, is in a coma after six hours of surgery today.

Per Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post, Cooley said that the latest update he heard about Taylor's condition was that Taylor spent six hours in surgery after being rushed to the hospital with a gunshot wound and is now in a coma.

"It's a tough thing right now," Cooley said. "I feel for so sorry for Sean and his family."

Cooley said that Santana Moss's mother is at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, where Taylor was taken after he was shot, and that Moss's mom gave the team an update from there. Moss and Taylor both grew up in Miami and played at the University of Miami.

La Canfora reports that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder read a brief statement:

"On behalf of the Redskins, the players and everyone here at the Redskins, our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family. Myself and a group of Redskins are on our way to Miami. I really don't have any details other than what everyone else has been reading and reporting ...Our hearts and prayers are with Sean and his family."[/quote]
[quote]POSTED 12:33 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

PORTIS SAYS TAYLOR "FIGHTING TO HOLD ON" by Michael David Smith

Redskins running back Clinton Portis told the media today that his friend and teammate, Sean Taylor, is "fighting to hold on" after being shot early this morning.

"I've been told he's lost a lot of blood," Portis said, adding that players have not been assured that Taylor will survive.

Before they played for the Redskins, Portis and Taylor played together at the University of Miami, and they are both Florida natives. When asked whether Taylor lives in a dangerous place, Portis said, "It's not Miami, it's anywhere. This could happen anywhere. For Sean its just an unfortunate situation."

Portis also said Taylor has made changes in his life recently, especially after starting a family.

"Ever since he had his child it was like a new Sean," Portis said.[/quote][quote]POSTED 11:55 a.m. EST, November 26, 2007

REPORT: TAYLOR "STABILIZING" by Michael David Smith

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post reports that a family friend told him Redskins safety Sean Taylor is "stabilizing" after he was shot early this morning.

La Canfora reports that Taylor "lost a substantial amount of blood" after suffering a gunshot wound near the femoral artery in the thigh. Taylor's father, Pedro, is the chief of police in Florida City, Florida, and is with him at the hospital.

The Redskins released a brief statement. Taylor's family has not spoken publicly. La Canfora reports that the Redskins have scheduled a team meeting around noon to update the players on the situation.

Taylor was at his home in South Florida when armed robbers attempted to enter. He is recuperating from a knee sprain and did not attend Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which is not unusual for injured players.[/quote]

[quote]POSTED 2:43 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

LAWYER EXPECTS TAYLOR TO SURVIVE by Michael David Smith

The Miami Herald is reporting that Richard Sharpstein, a lawyer and family friend of Redskins safety Sean Taylor, said Taylor emerged from surgery "in better shape" and is likely to survive after being shot in his home early this morning.

The Herald also reports that this is the third time in a little over a week that Taylor's home has been the target of an attempted burglary. Per the report, Taylor's next-door neighbor says that someone tried to break into Taylor's home last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

It's not clear whether Taylor knows who was trying to break into his home or why, but Sharpstein said, "There were a number of people who were jealous of Sean's success."

Sharpstein previously represented Taylor in a criminal case in which Taylor was accused of waving a gun at people he thought had stolen his all-terrain vehicle. Taylor eventually pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor in that case.[/quote]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='599785' date='Nov 26 2007, 03:38 PM']This just in, the only suspect in the case is Chris Henry!!
:ninja:[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Chris Henry's criminal record is a lot like his on-field play.

He'll catch a lot of cases but the crucial ones will be dropped.[/b][/color]

-_-

[quote name='sneaky' post='599789' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:43 PM'][color="#ff0000"][b]Chris Henry's criminal record is a lot like his on-field play.

He'll catch a lot of cases but the crucial ones will be dropped.[/b][/color]

-_-[/quote]

:lol:

seriously though this is very sad. I know this sort of thing happens all the time, and most people don't care except for those who know the victim, but because of Taylor's celebrity status it seems to affect us more than a random person. Hope he can survive--without brain damage, which is the scariest thing I can conceive of.

Archived