In the wake of Henry, which WR should we draft?

There is a slim chance that Andre Caldwell will drop into the 3rd round because of his history of injuries. He is one of the 3 or 4 most talented WR/KR in the draft, but do WE want to take a chance on an injury prone WR?

If we want a tall (6'4", 220) TD maker to replace Henry then we need to take Marcus Monk from Arkansas. He didn't do much in '07 because he was slowed by injury (16 rec. 144 yds. 3td). However in '06 he caught 50 passes for an eye popping 19.2 yd avg and 11 TDs ( a td every 4.5 catches). In his first three years at Arkansas he caught 122 passes for 2007 yds (16.5 avg) and 24 tds (one td every 5.1 catches).

He doesn't have blazing speed (4.58 forty) but he is very athletic. His vertical leap (34.5) was in the pth among WRs at the combine, and knows how to use his body. Combine that with his height and weight and that makes him possibly the best red zone receiver in the draft.

He will probabkly go in the 4th to 5th round.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='648604' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:26 PM']You ain't gotta be a dick, Schawrm.

The potential is what has a lot of people up in arms, but like liquor, potential is a hell of a drug when you get that first taste.

It would be nice to still have our 3 wides and be able to throw the ball all over the yard, but as we have learned, that doesn't get it done in the postseason or even late in the year. Hell, look at the Colts, they used to be the same way. and every year the Patriots would beat their heads in because the Colts were soft and the Patriots were hardnosed. This year, and even last year a little, the Patriots got a bit of the case of Colts-itis, because of their QB Brady and later on when they got Moss and Welker. What did that get them? Losing to the Colts in 06 AFCCG, where the Colts literally ran the ball down their throuats and killed them with dink-and-dunk, and losing the SuperBowl this year to the Giant that literally bum-rushed their vaunted offense to a halt by smacking Brady like a two-dollar whore.

We are blessed to have one of the potential greats in the league to be playing on this team, and that he is willing to play for the Bengals in Carson Palmer. With that said, that doesn't mean that we have to run the entire offense through him. John Elway, another Great QB, used to be one of those guys that would throw it around the lot, went to the SB 4 times I think, and each time they lost badly. They weren't physical. Fast forward to the late 1990s, they get a coach that prefers running the ball, they get a system that will turn an average back into a superstar, and they went out and got Terrell Davis. Elway didn't have to do it by himself anymore. And Denver gets 2 Lombardi's in a row.

Regardless of whether Rudi is done, Kenny W being able to handle the load, Chris Perry actually being able to play, Kenny I getting right, drafting a RB, picking up one, whatever. Marvin made a statement by franchising Stacy Andrews, though he's behind both Levi and Willie. And no, it's not just because they need more time to make a good deal. You don't slap a 7.5 million tender on a BackUP O-lineman without consciently making a commitment to running the ball and being more nasty on both fronts.

Look at the moves that have been made or attempted this offseason, with possibly more to come.
- signed Ben Utecht: possibly more 2 TE sets, more use of TEs in general, plus the guy is the designated blocking TE from Indy, who has good hands.

- signed DE Antwan Odom: gives Geathers a similar running mate on the opposite side of the line, and could help to free him up to repeat what he did in 2006 when he got 11 sacks.

- attempted to trade for DT Shawn Rogers: even though the trade fell through, this move spoke volumes to me. It told me that Marvin was indeed serious about overhauling the defense, and specifically the defensive line. It also signaled to me that Marvin is yearning to go back to that scrappy bunch that was in 2003 where we weren't the most talented by a long shot, but we were physical, smashmouth and stood up to everyone.

- placling the tag on Stacy: Sure, it sucks to have it come down to that, but the sheer action that they are not willing to let a promising young lineman that they coached up get away from them tells me that they have a desire to load up on the offensive line, and this could possibly mean that we could also have a center coming too, unless Guiachic shows a lot of improvment in the strength department.

-resigning John Fanane: considered a unheralded move by most. there's taht hint of potential about him, but I do thin that he will become a serviceable to pretty decent DT for us. Dude moved pretty good playing DT/DE for us at 295 pounds, and the word on the street is that he's closer to 310 now, about the same size as Domata Peko. and there's still the potential of getting Sedrick Ellis or Glen Dorsey in the Draft.[/quote]
Your posts are too long to read.

Jordy Nelson
Eddie Royal (We MUST get him)
Marcus Henry
Marcus Monk (although I'd like to see the Redskins get him too)

[quote]You ain't gotta be a dick, Schawrm.[/quote]

I don't mean to be a dick. You have to live in reality.

Chris Henry's role was in question before he got cut. You don't spend years blowing off the need for a pass catching TE and then change directions without somebody losing playing time.

From Roster spot, game plan, practice time, to game day roster spot. Implementing more stuff for a TE is going to take away from someone.

It's won't be Chad or TJ. Marvin has talked about the running game to much to cut that out. What would it have been?

If you don't believe that, then ask yourself is 343 yards and 2 TDs so hard to replace in a passing game that has thrown near 4,000 yards for two seasons?

Chris Henry easyily replaced. Plain and Simple. They would not have cut his ass if he wasn't. I don't think it changes the urgency for a WR, they'll take one if they like one. They've done that for years.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='648693' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:34 PM']If we want a tall (6'4", 220) TD maker to replace Henry then we need to take Marcus Monk from Arkansas. He didn't do much in '07 because he was slowed by injury (16 rec. 144 yds. 3td). However in '06 he caught 50 passes for an eye popping 19.2 yd avg and 11 TDs ( a td every 4.5 catches). In his first three years at Arkansas he caught 122 passes for 2007 yds (16.5 avg) and 24 tds (one td every 5.1 catches).

He doesn't have blazing speed (4.58 forty) but he is very athletic. His vertical leap (34.5) was in the pth among WRs at the combine, and knows how to use his body. Combine that with his height and weight and that makes him possibly the best red zone receiver in the draft.

He will probabkly go in the 4th to 5th round.[/quote]

He ran a 4.41 and had a 36" verticle at his proday. He will probably go higher because of that.

[url="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32827"]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32827[/url]

I'm thinkin that they may go ahead and draft 2 WR's to be honest with ya. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if our first four picks turned out something like this...

9. Sed Ellis
46. Marcus Howard
77. Eddie Royal
97. Jordy Nelson

[quote name='fredtoast' post='648693' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:34 PM']If we want a tall (6'4", 220) TD maker to replace Henry then we need to take Marcus Monk from Arkansas. He didn't do much in '07 because he was slowed by injury (16 rec. 144 yds. 3td). However in '06 he caught 50 passes for an eye popping 19.2 yd avg and 11 TDs ( a td every 4.5 catches). In his first three years at Arkansas he caught 122 passes for 2007 yds (16.5 avg) and 24 tds (one td every 5.1 catches).

He will probabkly go in the 4th to 5th round.[/quote]

Monk honestly might have the worst hands in the entire draft. I've watched him drop so many easy throws it's ridiculous. He'd have a hard time catching a cold...no thanks.

[quote name='scharm' post='648843' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:41 PM']I don't mean to be a dick. You have to live in reality.

Chris Henry's role was in question before he got cut. You don't spend years blowing off the need for a pass catching TE and then change directions without somebody losing playing time.

From Roster spot, game plan, practice time, to game day roster spot. Implementing more stuff for a TE is going to take away from someone.

It's won't be Chad or TJ. Marvin has talked about the running game to much to cut that out. What would it have been?

If you don't believe that, then ask yourself is 343 yards and 2 TDs so hard to replace in a passing game that has thrown near 4,000 yards for two seasons?

Chris Henry easyily replaced. Plain and Simple. They would not have cut his ass if he wasn't. I don't think it changes the urgency for a WR, they'll take one if they like one. They've done that for years.[/quote]

I agree with you about 90% of the time, but I think you are dead wrong about this. Chris Henry was a heck of a talent on the field.

1. He was a deep threat that kept teams on their heels. You just don't find guys who run a 4.4, are 6-5 and who are natural catching deep passes very often. Those deep bombs change games early and give you a chance to come back from behind quickly.

2. I think the positive effects of Henry on the rest of the offense are underestimated. Chad and TJ helped Henry get easier coverage but he did the same for them, especially TJ.

3. He had a bit of a down year last year stats-wise (especially since he missed half the year) but you can't discount his previous years, like when he was top 10 in the NFL with 9 TDs in 2006.

4. Chris' size and speed was a huge threat in the red zone and we had to settle for a lot more field goals during our 8 games without him than we had in the past.

5. I don't think it was just coincidence that the Bengals were 2-6 without Chris and 5-3 with him last year.

In short, Chris was more talented, more productive and more important to our offense than you give him credit for. He will also be much harder to replace as guys that big and fast do not grow on trees. You act like we can just plug some random 3rd rounder like Kelley Washington in there and not miss a beat and it isn't true.

[quote name='scharm' post='648843' date='Apr 4 2008, 12:41 PM']I don't mean to be a dick. You have to live in reality.

[b]If you don't believe that, then ask yourself is 343 yards and 2 TDs so hard to replace in a passing game that has thrown near 4,000 yards for two seasons?[/b]

Chris Henry easyily replaced. Plain and Simple. They would not have cut his ass if he wasn't. I don't think it changes the urgency for a WR, they'll take one if they like one. They've done that for years.[/quote]
amen.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='648863' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:49 PM']Wouldn't we have to give back Chinny then?[/quote]

Sure why not?

We could've just drafted a S with our 6th round pick I guess. Hell using the 6th on him would've been a lot better than using it on that DT.

[quote name='happyrid' post='648868' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:05 PM']I agree with you about 90% of the time, but I think you are dead wrong about this. Chris Henry was a heck of a talent on the field.

1. He was a deep threat that kept teams on their heels. You just don't find guys who run a 4.4, are 6-5 and who are natural catching deep passes very often. Those deep bombs change games early and give you a chance to come back from behind quickly.

2. I think the positive effects of Henry on the rest of the offense are underestimated. Chad and TJ helped Henry get easier coverage but he did the same for them, especially TJ.

3. He had a bit of a down year last year stats-wise (especially since he missed half the year) but you can't discount his previous years, like when he was top 10 in the NFL with 9 TDs in 2006.

4. Chris' size and speed was a huge threat in the red zone and we had to settle for a lot more field goals during our 8 games without him than we had in the past.

5. I don't think it was just coincidence that the Bengals were 2-6 without Chris and 5-3 with him last year.

In short, Chris was more talented, more productive and more important to our offense than you give him credit for. He will also be much harder to replace as guys that big and fast do not grow on trees. You act like we can just plug some random 3rd rounder like Kelley Washington in there and not miss a beat and it isn't true.[/quote]

Think about what you are claiming. As it stands today. The Bengals have Carson, Chad, TJ, and a very good pass protecting OL.

He's going to be hard to replace? OK. So how far does this passing game fall? Out of the top 10? Bottom of the league?

Tell me the effect. A 3,500 yard season? A 3,200 yard season? Carson going to throw more Ints than TDs? Carson get sacked 30 times?

I don't think any of that happens with the passing game.

With the running game, it's been so poor, how can the loss of Henry drop it further? A guy getting Henry's section of the game plan is going to put up numbers.

[quote name='happyrid' post='648868' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:05 PM']1. He was a deep threat that kept teams on their heels. You just don't find guys who run a 4.4, are 6-5 and who are natural catching deep passes very often. Those deep bombs change games early and give you a chance to come back from behind quickly.

5. I don't think it was just coincidence that the Bengals were 2-6 without Chris and 5-3 with him last year.[/quote]
My only two rebuttals would be that he was more threat than production... I'm like so many on here have said - we're missing the potential and not the actual production.

And, no it wasn't coincidence... look at the teams we played at the beginning of the year and then at the end. There were some bad defenses in the last 8 games that makes our record look quite a bit better. And, are you going to tell me that with TJ on pace for 100+ receptions Def. Coordinators are going to pull coverage away from CJ and he, to CJ and Henry???

I don't think so.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&NR=1[/url]

Anthony Alridge ST/WR Houston
5'9" 170 4.3

STRENGTHS
There is nothing not to like about the way Anthony plays the game of football. He is quick and fast and has excellent hands. He runs great routes and looks to be very smart. Anthony will put his body on the line to make a play and is a good blocker. He will be an excellent return man for the team that drafts him because he has the ability to score from anywhere on the field at any time. I call him Anthony (Lightning) Alridge because he can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Anthony is vertically challenged and will need to bulk up. The truth is Anthony is a specialty player and not a starter. He is a match-up nightmare as a slot WR, but will have problems as a full time WR because of his lack of bulk to take the pounding.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2
Like I said, Anthony is a match up nightmare for defensive coordinators. As a slot receiver, he is too fast for a LB to cover and too quick for most safeties. If you put him in motion and keep him away from the bump and run, he will kill a defense on third down. Anthony has fun when he plays, but don’t be fooled -- this kid plays hard on every down and on every play. He seems to handle the pressure of responsibility with ease. In fact, he likes the limelight but not in a way that it shows up his teammates. He seems to be very team oriented. Anthony is a specialty player who can impact a game without touching the ball a whole hell of a lot. Drafting player with Anthony’s talents in the second or third round is one of the smartest things a team can do. You add speed and quickness to your third down offense as well as to your Special Teams return game, which is impacting two areas of your team with one draft choice. Do you really expect to do more than that when you draft a player in a draft? Anthony (Lightning) Alridge can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.

[quote name='Draftman' post='649003' date='Apr 4 2008, 10:39 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&NR=1[/url]

Anthony Alridge ST/WR Houston
5'9" 170 4.3

STRENGTHS
There is nothing not to like about the way Anthony plays the game of football. He is quick and fast and has excellent hands. He runs great routes and looks to be very smart. Anthony will put his body on the line to make a play and is a good blocker. He will be an excellent return man for the team that drafts him because he has the ability to score from anywhere on the field at any time. I call him Anthony (Lightning) Alridge because he can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Anthony is vertically challenged and will need to bulk up. The truth is Anthony is a specialty player and not a starter. He is a match-up nightmare as a slot WR, but will have problems as a full time WR because of his lack of bulk to take the pounding.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2
Like I said, Anthony is a match up nightmare for defensive coordinators. As a slot receiver, he is too fast for a LB to cover and too quick for most safeties. If you put him in motion and keep him away from the bump and run, he will kill a defense on third down. Anthony has fun when he plays, but don’t be fooled -- this kid plays hard on every down and on every play. He seems to handle the pressure of responsibility with ease. In fact, he likes the limelight but not in a way that it shows up his teammates. He seems to be very team oriented. Anthony is a specialty player who can impact a game without touching the ball a whole hell of a lot. Drafting player with Anthony’s talents in the second or third round is one of the smartest things a team can do. You add speed and quickness to your third down offense as well as to your Special Teams return game, which is impacting two areas of your team with one draft choice. Do you really expect to do more than that when you draft a player in a draft? Anthony (Lightning) Alridge can score a TD as quick as lightning can strike.[/quote]
I'm almost 100% sure he was a running back in college. He'll definitely have to switch to receiver though at 5'9 170.

Archived