Bengals Reconsidering Re-Signing Henry

How could anyone justify cutting someone from the team that has made every practice, sweated their ass off in grueling hot weather and being dependable compared to someone who is too immature to listen to reason or know or care what effect their actions have on the entire team? Henry may be a nice guy, but how many times can you forgive faulty judgement and immaturity, not to mention the unfavorable attention it would bring to the team.? I hope Henry finds employment but just not with the Bengals. He was given many opportunities to prove himself and failed. Now that opportunity belongs to someone else.

Henry would be an obvious upgrade from Maxwell or Holt...But that is not enough of a reason to risk having Marvin lose the tone and chemistry he has rebuilt for this season.

We've lost with talent before...Let's try winning by doing it the right way.

BZ

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='687332' date='Aug 13 2008, 03:22 PM'][b]Develop Simpson and Caldwell and go from there..We're fine without him and would have alwys been had we had d decent pass catching TE...I wish we have drafted Heath Miller in 04 but I was happy with Pollack at the time...We had all the bad breaks that a team could get..and now with Utecht we'll be fine...dude can play![/b][/quote]

And if TJ's hammy is worse than thought Chad is the only experienced WR worth a damn the other two are rookies, Chatman and Holt are not good. Simpson and Caldwell are not going to be as good as Chris is any time soon, it takes time for WRs to "get it".

Reguardless Im fine with whatever Marvin wants to do.

Edit: TJ pretty much lays it out...."I guess what it boils down to is (the other receivers) have to play. If they show the team they can make plays, there'd be no need to bring him back."

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='687340' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:35 PM']And if TJ's hammy is worse than thought Chad is the only experienced WR worth a damn the other two are rookies, Chatman and Holt are not good. Simpson and Caldwell are not going to be as good as Chris is any time soon, it takes time for WRs to "get it".

Edit: TJ pretty much lays it out...."I guess what it boils down to is (the other receivers) have to play. If they show the team they can make plays, there'd be no need to bring him back."[/quote]
[b] Good Point . I agree with you wholeheartedly. But look at with the Giants won with @ WR last season...Are they as good as our group?..I don't believe so. They won becasue they have a very very good pass rush. I really am a lot more worried about our D than signing Chris Henry. If the D improves we have a good shot to make the playoffs and make some noise. I am hoping it will. You are right though. I do not expect much out of Simpson and Caldwell this year but I do exoect them to be very very good players down the line. Is Chris Henry worth the trouble?..I don't think he is...[/b]

You might be smoking crack, there is no way our front 4 will supply the same pressure as the Giants did. Therefore our D is mediocre at best and we have need all the help we can get to fill the #3 WR spot. Im tired of loosing to the Steelers , In 2005 and 2006 , Slim averaged a TD every 5 times he touched the ball almost 1 a game I believe.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='687159' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:21 AM']I think if they sign Henry (which I would love them to do) they will look like complete asses. That will be saying

1. We wasted our 2nd and 3rd picks this year

2. You can't believe a word we say about changing the image of this team.

They could have made Henry a poster boy and feel good story with the right spin and guidance. He could have been the Josh Hamilton of the NFL if they treated it right.[/quote]

How dare you state # 1? You know we never wasted those picks even though one of these guys can not even overcome worthless injured Chatman. *sarcasm*

It looks like one of these guys need to step up to the plate and become the #3 or they will be packing their bags very soon if we do get Henry back.

Looks like, like I said in other threads, we should have addressed the Center position since Santucci just got hurt. Yea, you don't expect injuries, but we needed to address this area anyways to go along with DL help instead of 3 WRs.

[quote name='steggyD' post='687255' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:07 AM']But he doesn't.

However, let us use your logic. If he's gone for 4 games, then we could possibly lose the first 4 games, which would put us back to the best 12-4. Then it could take a couple games to get back in synch with the rest of the offense. And if the best he could do is 5-3 in his last 8 games of last season, which is 62.5%. 62.5% of the remaing 12 games is 7.5, maybe we can round that up. So there you go, we won 8 games, because we re-signed Henry. Congrats![/quote]

That could be some of the most dumbest shit ive ever read.

Did anybody say if Henry is off the team were destined to lose?

NO

We said Henry can do nothing but help this team win.

CJ, TJ, Henry, Utech

Thats a whole lot of threats right there.

------------------------------------------------------------

The other side of this equation is currently Henry is Complete loss. Money wise and talent wise.

If we can sign him back for league minimum, then why not do it so we can at least trade him for other talent.

As it stands right now our whole investment with henry is a wash.

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='687254' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:05 AM']Imagine Slim lined up at Left ,Chad at right, Housh at Slot, Utecht At TE and Perry in the backfield CAN YOU SAY UNSTOPPABLE, Ill take him w cant shake off our damn image anyways[/quote]
But that's all we can do with that lineup SoCal is IMAGINE it...because it will never happen because we won't resign Henry and he can't stay on the field.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='687340' date='Aug 13 2008, 03:35 PM']And if TJ's hammy is worse than thought Chad is the only experienced WR worth a damn the other two are rookies, Chatman and Holt are not good. [b]Simpson and Caldwell are not going to be as good as Chris is any time soon, it takes time for WRs to "get it".[/b]

Edit: TJ pretty much lays it out...."I guess what it boils down to is (the other receivers) have to play. If they show the team they can make plays, there'd be no need to bring him back."[/quote]
Wasn't 2005 Henry's rookie season? Why can't the light come on for Caldwell and/or Simpson in their rookie seasons? This was ONE preseason game to judge them by, and we have other options now in Utecht and Perry as well.

No way I want Henry back, even if he was decent against the Steelers. TJ is the real Steeler killer anyway, and now we can Heath Miller them to death with Utecht like they've done to us for a few years now.

And if Chris Perry can stay healthy and Rudi comes back, then how do you stop everybody?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687373' date='Aug 13 2008, 05:42 PM']Wasn't 2005 Henry's rookie season? Why can't the light come on for Caldwell and/or Simpson in their rookie seasons? This was ONE preseason game to judge them by, and we have other options now in Utecht and Perry as well.

No way I want Henry back, even if he was decent against the Steelers. TJ is the real Steeler killer anyway, and now we can Heath Miller them to death with Utecht like they've done to us for a few years now.

And if Chris Perry can stay healthy and Rudi comes back, then how do you stop everybody?[/quote]

Because Henry would have been a 1st rounder had he not had the red flags he did. Simpson and Caldwell were 2nd and 3rd round guys in a draft that lacked any WRs that should have been taken in the 1st based on talent.

[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='687357' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:39 PM']How dare you state # 1? You know we never wasted those picks even though one of these guys can not even overcome worthless injured Chatman. *sarcasm*

It looks like one of these guys need to step up to the plate and become the #3 or they will be packing their bags very soon if we do get Henry back.

Looks like, like I said in other threads, we should have addressed the Center position since Santucci just got hurt. Yea, you don't expect injuries, but we needed to address this area anyways to go along with DL help instead of 3 WRs.[/quote]

:rofl: even if they do resign Henry, Simpson and Caldwell aren't going anywhere. :rofl:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='687374' date='Aug 13 2008, 05:44 PM']Because Henry would have been a 1st rounder had he not had the red flags he did. Simpson and Caldwell were 2nd and 3rd round guys in a draft that lacked any WRs that should have been taken in the 1st based on talent.[/quote]

and Marques Colston was a 7th rounder who was offensive rookie of the year. You're argument is silly.

Agent: Bengals talking to Henry
Posted by MarkCurnutte at 8/13/2008 5:47 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – The Bengals have had “conversations” with representatives for former Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry, his agent told The Enquirer late this afternoon.

“Just conversations right now,” Marvin Frazier said. “He’s doing great.”

Henry was waived by the Bengals on April 3, following his fifth arrest in their employ. All charges were later dropped in a Hamilton County court.

Henry was suspended for the first four games of the NFL season by Commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

In his three seasons with the Bengals, Henry was especially productive in the red zone: 17 of his 88 career receptions were for touchdowns.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was unavailable for comment this afternoon. The team will practice tonight at 7 at Georgetown College.

Team spokesman Jack Brennan said tonight, "As policy, we don't discuss speculated player moves."

The Bengals might not be happy with their depth at receiver behind starters T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson. The leading candidates for No. 3 receiver are two rookies, Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell, and a trio of veterans: Glenn Holt, Marcus Maxwell and Antonio Chatman.

"He's training now, and he's not in Cincinnati," Frazier said of Henry. "He's getting ready. He wants to move on. Sometimes it takes a little longer for some people to grow up."

If the Bengals are seriously interested in bringing back Henry, the situation could represent a power struggle within the organization.

On July 22, the day of the team’s pre-training camp luncheon, Lewis left little doubt that he did not want Henry back – even after Henry had been cleared of charges related to his latest arrest.

“I'm not interested,” Lewis said that day when asked if the Bengals wanted to re-sign Henry. “I don't think it would be productive for our football team. You have to be a productive part to be an NFL player. There are responsibilities to being an NFL player. It's a privilege, not a right. There is a lot that comes with being an NFL player.”

But, on the same day, Bengals president Mike Brown said he liked his players – even the ones that got into trouble – and described himself as a “redeemer.”

"I guess the world is divided up between redeemers and non-redeemers. I happen to be a redeemer," Brown said July 22. "I think people can be made better and right. If that's a fault, so be it. These guys mis-stepped, they made mistakes, they paid prices for it that have been verging on ruinous. That doesn't mean I dislike them personally. I like them as people. I regret what has happened to them, and I regret that they're no longer here.

"As far as going forward, we don't want that kind of behavior. We have tried to be more conscious of the guys we bring in than maybe we were before. But in all honesty, if you look at their records, contrary to some of the things you hear, they were not as difficult cases in college as some make them out in hindsight. Things just conspired to undo them."

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='687381' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:41 PM']:rofl: even if they do resign Henry, Simpson and Caldwell aren't going anywhere. :rofl:[/quote]

UH, DUH! That was a brilliant post! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='687391' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:12 PM']I love Mike Brown. :wub:[/quote]

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='687395' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:23 PM']this wreaks of an agent, with a pretty small client base, trying to stir up interest in its highest-profile client.[/quote]

or a coaching staff trying to light a fire under it's young players.

Anyway if Carson, Chad, TJ are healthy 3,800+ is there for the taking. It's a matter balancing the offense with a little better running game and cashing in TDs more times than FGs.

[quote](Rotoworld) Bengals coach Marvin Lewis denied that the Bengals are interested in bringing back WR Chris Henry.

Analysis: "Don't put any stock in NFL.com," Lewis said. "I don't think (the story) has any legs for any reason." Well it looks like somebody is lying here, but it's possible Henry's agent has gone above Lewis and straight to Bengals management. Still, with Lewis dead set against it, a Henry signing looks unlikely.[/quote]
[url="http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2004/view_news_article?L=10117&ID=2008-08-13T21%3A59%3A00Rotoworld"]http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2004/v...9%3A00Rotoworld[/url]

[quote]When asked of Henry's chances of re-signing with the Bengals, Frazier responded, "Better than 50 percent."[/quote]

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/14/henry/index.html?eref=si_latest"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...?eref=si_latest[/url]

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='687533' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:09 AM'][url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/14/henry/index.html?eref=si_latest"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...?eref=si_latest[/url][/quote]
Wow. I love Chris Henry when he's on the field but this is crazy. Give the rookies an opportunity to develop...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='687374' date='Aug 13 2008, 05:44 PM']Because Henry would have been a 1st rounder had he not had the red flags he did. Simpson and Caldwell were 2nd and 3rd round guys in a draft that lacked any WRs that should have been taken in the 1st based on talent.[/quote]

Forget where they were drafted. Last year was Henry's third in the league and he only put up 21 catches and 2 tds in 8 games. Those numbers are not that impressive. He is not the star that you think he is.

after going through what we have since we drafted Henry, it literally makes me laugh out loud people listing players a, b, and c and saying how much better we will be with player d...

Was anyone paying attention to all of the arrests, the fact that he still doesn't seem to have learned him lesson, the fact that this type of behavior (and our management allowing it to happen) does play a huge factor in the lockerroom and how the guys buy into the system? signing Henry will just show the lockerroom that it doesn't matter how big of a fool you are, if you can play we will sign you and start you...

Screw the guys that worked their asses of in training camp to take the spot...

Bullshit, if this team resigns Henry, we will pay dearly for it... let him be someone elses problem...

Archived