Bengals Reconsidering Re-Signing Henry

[quote name='Smizno' post='687079' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:56 PM']Wow. All bow down to Jesus. The kid made mistakes......hell lets just kill him. He shouldnt even be allowed to walk on this earth with people as superior and as flawless as yourself. Have you ever had a speeding ticket? Have you had 2........DIDNT YOU LEARN THE FIRST TIME!!!! Get over it. NFLers arent model citizens all in all. I just want to win. I will overlook his past. Sign him![/quote]
Don't you people get it yet? It's not really about whether or not us fans will get over it. I could care less what he does with his off-time if the NFL doesn't care. However, since Goodell cares what these players do on their own time, and their spot on the team relies on Goodell, then yes, Henry's mistakes are nothing to overlook.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='687115' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:00 PM']I don't seem to recall any of the Bengal players having a problem with Chris...he isn't Pickens.

Screw the "message"...unless it's "we want to win". Then I think everyone would agree. He can only help in that regard.

[b]Ben and CPerry are nice compliments...but they will be limited in what they can produce downfield. We have already seen what Chris can do downfield...and it's serious shit. [/b]

I saw enough last night of what Chatman and the clueless rookies can do...and it wasn't a thimble's worth of what Chris can get done...and get done right now, which is what we need.

Do it...do it now.[/quote]
But to me that's the exact argument against resigning Henry, aside from the potential PR black eye the Bengals will get from the media and probably Goodell.

We didn't have Perry or Utecht last year, and we might not as well as had henry either. He was absent for eight games and then didn't really have very good production in the games he was in after that. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great either.

Now we DO have Perry and Utecht, as well as some drafted WR talent, and we don't need Henry.

Sure Perry and Utecht aren't going to be downfield receivers. But now that we have them and defenses are going to have to start accounting for them, guess who will get open downfield? Why, Chad and TJ. They were smothered last year and still had great seasons.

Perry and Utecht are going to move the chains on a consistent basis, which is far more important than the occaisonal 60 yard bomb to Chris henry.

I vote keep Henry in the past and move on, regardless of how talented he is.

I really don't think the Bengals are going to resign him, either.

[quote name='Smizno' post='687079' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:56 AM']Wow. All bow down to Jesus. The kid made mistakes......hell lets just kill him. He shouldnt even be allowed to walk on this earth with people as superior and as flawless as yourself. Have you ever had a speeding ticket? Have you had 2........DIDNT YOU LEARN THE FIRST TIME!!!! Get over it. NFLers arent model citizens all in all. I just want to win. I will overlook his past. Sign him![/quote]

Yeah, I've had a speeding ticket, and a second one. But I haven't had a third, fourth, or fifth. The kid isn't going to learn. And what good is it signing him if he's suspended a quarter of the damn season. He isn't going to be worth shit anyway. Suspended 4 games you shouldn't expect him to even play until game 5 at the earliest and then probably not really be effective until game 7 or 8 or even longer. What the fuck, you hoping for us to pull one out of our ass during the second half of the season? The Bengals can survive without Chris Henry. Some of you people act like if we only had him all the pieces would be in place and we'd be invincible.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='687124' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:47 PM']Yeah, I've had a speeding ticket, and a second one. But I haven't had a third, fourth, or fifth. The kid isn't going to learn. And what good is it signing him if he's suspended a quarter of the damn season. He isn't going to be worth shit anyway. Suspended 4 games you shouldn't expect him to even play until game 5 at the earliest and then probably not really be effective until game 7 or 8 or even longer. What the fuck, you hoping for us to pull one out of our ass during the second half of the season? The Bengals can survive without Chris Henry. Some of you people act like if we only had him all the pieces would be in place and we'd be invincible.
MULLY[/quote]
Some of us thought that last season, like me, only to find that it didn't really address the offense's problems.

I think we're better off now with what we have than we were then, provided of course that all the skill players stay or get healthy for the season opener and beyond, as well as a couple rookies stepping up.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687129' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:19 PM']Some of us thought that last season, like me, only to find that it didn't really address the offense's problems.

I think we're better off now with what we have than we were then, provided of course that all the skill players stay or get healthy for the season opener and beyond, as well as a couple rookies stepping up.[/quote]

Exactly. Last season people were climbing the walls waiting for Henry to get back because he was what was missing. His return didn't help shit. One man does not make a team, especially a number 3.
MULLY
love the Ron Jeremy avatar, Bung

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='687131' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:24 PM']Exactly. Last season people were climbing the walls waiting for Henry to get back because he was what was missing. His return didn't help shit. One man does not make a team, especially a number 3.
MULLY
love the Ron Jeremy avatar, Bung[/quote]
That's a [i]Simpsons[/i] avatar "featuring" Ron Jeremy, get it right!
:lol:
Think of the children!

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='687135' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:31 PM']Bengals had a winning record after they got Henry back last season (5-3). Just saying.[/quote]
The Bengals still struggled to move the chains during that stretch, too. Finishing 5-3 to end up 7-9 ain't saying much about anyone, not to mention the team.
I agree that Henry is talented, but I also think he is limited in what he can do, even when he can stay on the field. Two players like Perry and Utecht can easily replace his production, as well as stretching the field for our Pro Bowl wideouts, just like Henry did (presumably).

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687121' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:15 PM']But to me that's the exact argument against resigning Henry, aside from the potential PR black eye the Bengals will get from the media and probably Goodell.[/quote]

It doesn't matter if we sign him or not, the fucking media will CONTINUE to harp on "all of the arrests on the Cincinnati Bengals." So if we're going to keep getting hammered in the press anyway, why not re-sign him? An offense with Carson, Chad, TJ, Henry, Utecht, and Rudi/Perry should be practically unstoppable.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='687108' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:40 PM']did you spell idiot wrong while describing someone else being an idiot?

:mellow:

and embarrassment i think was spelled wrong....how embarrassing...

:D[/quote]

...Ah, good point GO. Lets change the subject. You are good for that. Guess you didn`t like my take on Henry. Well It`s your party, play as you may...He is still an Idiote any way you want to spell it...

Pass. He's already gone for the 1st 4 games. We saw last year how "ready" or more like "unready" he was after coming back from 8 games.

Yeah, I'm sure he's going to be ready to contribute after not being involved with the team since March, missing most of camp, and the first 4 games.

I don't care about the character issue, but the Henry pimps have to look at what this guy really is.

Give your QB 4 constants for his first 4 WRs and move on. It would be a HUGE mistake and cause a bunch of harm for the consistency of this offense to play the rotation game that Henry would cause once returning.

His track record from College and Pros says HUGE TALENT but not able to take advantage of it. Pass.

I think Marvin is right in this. Spend your time coaching Simpson not Henry. I'm surprised people have written him off as a viable option for 3rd WR choice with this cast this early in the preseason.

Unless they get a wave of injuries the 3rd WR looks to be on the same level as FB with Chad, TJ, Utecht, Perry.

I think if they sign Henry (which I would love them to do) they will look like complete asses. That will be saying

1. We wasted our 2nd and 3rd picks this year

2. You can't believe a word we say about changing the image of this team.

They could have made Henry a poster boy and feel good story with the right spin and guidance. He could have been the Josh Hamilton of the NFL if they treated it right.

I don't get all the Henry love. I mean I was on board in 05 and he has lots of talent, but he doesn't go over the middle, he gives up on routes, his footwork near the sideline is poor, he gets knicked up pretty easily and he hasn't been nearly the same player he was since 05. I didn't even mention the arrests.

The kid came in and stunned everyone and looked dominant in 05. But he only runs one pattern and he hasn't been good at it since then.

Utech/Perry/whoever gets the 3rd WR spot/Simpson in the red zone will more than make up what Henry brings to the table (circa 05). That combo is [b]much[/b] better then Henry 06-07.

Don't bring him back

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='687115' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:00 PM']I don't seem to recall any of the Bengal players having a problem with Chris...he isn't Pickens.

Screw the "message"...unless it's "we want to win". Then I think everyone would agree. He can only help in that regard.

Ben and CPerry are nice compliments...but they will be limited in what they can produce downfield. We have already seen what Chris can do downfield...and it's serious shit.

I saw enough last night of what Chatman and the clueless rookies can do...and it wasn't a thimble's worth of what Chris can get done...and get done right now, which is what we need.

Do it...do it now.[/quote]

so use the rookies downfield. It's not like Simpson and Caldwell don't have serious speed.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='687163' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:25 AM']I don't get all the Henry love. I mean I was on board in 05 and he has lots of talent, but he doesn't go over the middle, he gives up on routes, his footwork near the sideline is poor, he gets knicked up pretty easily and he hasn't been nearly the same player he was since 05. I didn't even mention the arrests.

The kid came in and stunned everyone and looked dominant in 05. But he only runs one pattern and he hasn't been good at it since then.

Utech/Perry/whoever gets the 3rd WR spot/Simpson in the red zone will more than make up what Henry brings to the table (circa 05). That combo is [b]much[/b] better then Henry 06-07.

Don't bring him back[/quote]
[b]best post yet about Henry[/b]

[quote name='bengalfanatl' post='687182' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:59 AM']yeah I got speeding tickets too but that doesn't mean that I have not sped since I got my tickets. I justhaven't been caught. I would be okay either way. Its not like people are going to think any less of the bengals for signing him or think even more of the bengals for not signing him[/quote]

While I don't want him resigned, you do make a good point. The Bengals image is already in the shitter anyway. Resigning Henry isn't going to make it any worse league wide.

I still think it sends a horrible message to the rest of the team (not that I believe the rumor to begin with), especially when you just sent someone like Shirley to Henry's house to show him what happens to you when you screw up. Now you're going to give Henry a 10th chance? What's that say to Shirley?

Really wont hurt our reputation any more if we bring him back. I just dont see Chatman as our
#3 WR. The guy hasnt been able to stay healthy long enough since he's been here to really see
the field much. I'd like to see the rookie WR's on the field with Palmer some. Just because we
re-sign the guy doesnt mean we have to keep him. I think it would bring out even more competition
between the guys fighting for jobs behind Chad and TJ. And lets say just for argument sake that
we do bring the guy back and he does produce and stay healthy it would provide a little insurance
in the case we cant re-sign TJ long term. What's the vet minimum for a 4th year player? like 400K?
Wouldnt be any signing bonus involved plus you wouldnt have to pay him the first 4 games so it
probably wouldnt even be 400K. What happens next year if Chad has another bitch offseason and
we lose TJ and Chris Perry has a monster year and bolts for Free Agency. Would you all feel
comfortable going into the 09 season with a whiny assed Chad, Simpson and Caldwell? Especially
if the latter 2 fail to develop as planned? With no Tj, no Chris Perry? And a high mileage Rudi?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='687080' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:56 PM']Honestly.....

What do we have to lose by signing him?

1. We have already eaten the pick for drafting him.

2. He will only command a minimum contract.

3. No matter what the Bengals do they can't lose the arrest image problem anyways.

I think it is a no brainer to sign him and put him on the suspended list until his suspension is up...[/quote]

Agreed 100%.

Henry in with #85 & Housh we are unstoppable + Perry staying healthy and Utecht...no one could touch us, #3 WR is the missing link.

We can't sign Henry because we can't depend on him. I'm all for giving guys second chances if they show that they have changed, but Henry is a lost cause. We would have to cut a WR after game four in order to bring him back, then when he screws up again we would have no one to replace him. Every single roster spot is valuable. I say use that roster spot to develope a talent that we can depend on instead of throwing it away on a guy who has been suspended EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN IN THE LEAGUE.

Henry did NOTHING for us last year when he returned. We went 5-3, but three of those victories came in games that we averaged LESS than 20 points. He has three years of experience and he has actually gotten worse from his rookie year.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='687206' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:13 AM']We can't sign Henry because we can't depend on him. I'm all for giving guys second chances if they show that they have changed, but Henry is a lost cause. We would have to cut a WR after game four in order to bring him back, then when he screws up again we would have no one to replace him. Every single roster spot is valuable. I say use that roster spot to develope a talent that we can depend on instead of throwing it away on a guy who has been suspended EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN IN THE LEAGUE.

Henry did NOTHING for us last year when he returned. We went 5-3, but three of those victories came in games that we averaged LESS than 20 points. He has three years of experience and he has actually gotten worse from his rookie year.[/quote]

Why can't we just sign him & not depend on him?

We can just take him & accept the fact that he may not be around forever but, when he is, he makes the offense much better. What's wrong with that? He knows the offense, so we don't have to make any major adjustments to fit him in.

When he's in jail, he won't play. When he's not in jail, he'll play. What's so difficult about this concept?

[quote name='mjm47' post='687209' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:21 AM']Why can't we just sign him & not depend on him?

We can just take him & accept the fact that he may not be around forever but, when he is, he makes the offense much better. What's wrong with that? He knows the offense, so we don't have to make any major adjustments to fit him in.

When he's in jail, he won't play. When he's not in jail, he'll play. What's so difficult about this concept?[/quote]

Because every spot on the roster is valuable. 53 guys thats it. You can't hold a spot for someone with his past because he's likely to get suspended again and leave the team short handed. That doesn't seem too bad now, but after 2 serious injuries at 1 position, it will mean the world. Its the difference between keeping a guy like Blackstock who can play when Brooks and Jeanty are both injured or having to sign some practice squad guy to come in and START on 3 days notice.

Just say no on Henry.

Plus someone brought up what if Housh leaves next year..."would you be comfortable with Caldwell and Simpson?" If you bury them behind Henry for 6 games until he's suspended again thats not going to help the cause. The team comitted to them and they don't need the rug pulled out from under them in their second month by bringing in Henry. Just let them play and we'll know better by next year how well off we are with Simpson and Caldwell. BTW, with Utech and Perry grabbing passes Caldwell and Simpson are going to be placed in situations where they can excell rather than placed in situations where we NEED them to be good.

Just say no to Chris Henry

Archived