Bengals cut Myers, IR Santucci

[quote]By GEOFF HOBSON
August 31, 2008
ShareThis

2:55 p.m.
The Bengals went to the waiver wire Sunday to pick up Detroit guard Frank Davis and Saints defensive tackle Orien Harris and then cut veteran defensive tackle Michael Myers as well as placing center Dan Santucci on season-ending injured reserve with a high ankle sprain.

The 6-3, 325-pound Davis, a native of Panama, played in 11 games with three starts in 2006 after making the Lions roster as a rookie free agent out of South Florida. He was on IR last year after hurting his knee in preseason but came back to play in all four preseason games with two starts at left guard.

The 6-3, 300-pound Harris led the Saints with 20 tackles, had one sack and had a tackle for a loss against the Bengals last week. He came into the NFL as a fourth-rounder of Pittsburgh in 2006 and played in two games for Cleveland after being signed off the Steelers practice squad. Last season, he was on Buffalo's practice squad before being signed to the Saints roster, where he was inactive for two games.

The Bengals signed five to the practice squad. Dan Howell, rookie linebacker from Washington; James Johnson, rookie running back from Kansas State, guard Nate Livings, first-year player from Louisiana State; and rookie wide receivers Maurice Purify (Nebraska) and Mario Urrutia ( Louisville).[/quote]

article on Harris pre-getting cut

[quote][b]Saints defensive tackle Orien Harris making presence felt[/b]

Saints defensive tackle Orien Harris has quickly made himself known among his coaches and front-office personnel, putting together statistics that even he did not think he would have through two preseason games.

Harris, a 25-year-old who was signed by the Saints in December, has 11 solo tackles -- best on the team -- and a sack this preseason.

"He's been one of those guys that's been durable," Saints Coach Sean Payton said. "He's been steady. He's a try-hard guy that gives a lot of effort on each play. Even today, he made some plays in practice. So he's caught the attention of a lot of us, the guys on defense and myself included. He comes to work every day, and he showed that last week in the game."

Since coming into the league from the Miami (Fla.) in 2006, Harris has played in two games, both for Cleveland in his first season. But Harris figures to find more playing time this year with the Saints, especially with other defensive tackles, such as Brian Young and Hollis Thomas, dealing with injuries.

Harris had six tackles in the Saints' loss to Houston, just after speaking with his family about the improvements he wanted to make.

"My mom and my sister, I was telling them I was not really where I wanted to be as a football player, and so they heard my sob story and they came back the next day and they called me," he said. "They were like, 'Ah, don't be so hard on yourself. Just try to build.' And that's what I've been trying to do."

[url="http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2008/08/saints_defensive_tackle_orien.html"]http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2008/08/sain...ckle_orien.html[/url][/quote]

Some comments from a Saints forum on us signing him:

[quote]Just heard on Sirius that the Bengals picked up Orien Harris. Hope he can make their team. He did a real good job during preseason.[/quote]

[quote]They may have picked up a steal. He got caught in the numbers game here but may work his way into significant playing time with the Bengals based on what I saw from him in pre-season. Good young player.[/quote]

[quote]funny that we stepped ahead of Cinci to get Pressley and steal him.
Now it seems like they're getting a steal from us. (my opinion)[/quote]

[quote]DANG, I thought for sure he'd make it over Lake. Lake is bigger, but Harris is younger and has more potential. (But i guess we still have Demario next year).[/quote]

[url="http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80906"]http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80906[/url]

Anyone else think James Johnson could be a diamond in the rough? I'm glad to see him on the PS in case he's needed. Some guys outplay their expectations when given a chance, and for some reason I think he might be one of them if pressed into duty.

I doubt anyone will snatch him off the PS.

He's from the U---I know it probably doesn't carry that same clout like it did in the day, but still, he may have some talent. You don't go against insurance salesmen and car dealers at the University of Miami, especially when you have to live up to players like Vince Wilfolk and Warren Sapp.

I think this is a Zimmer pick-up. As for the guard from Detroit, strictly a depth move since we let Big Willie walk. We know that Whitworth backs up Stacey at RT, and Kooistra is a backup, period. So all in all, nothing spectacular, but pretty solid if you ask me.

Orien Harris was a big tease coming out of Miami... early in the process, he was talked up as a 1st-round talent, based on his play as an underclassman... then he didn't do much his last season and dropped. He's been a jouneyman up to now. Maybe the light's come on for him. I liked Myers as a rotation guy, but at 32 and with less than optimal size, that's all he is, and he likely doesn't have a lot of years left.

Wonder who the other PS guys are gonna be - 3 spots left.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='693726' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:19 PM']hmm I remember Harris being touted coming out of college, but don't know that he's done anything since. Guess they see something in him.
[b]
the patriots just cut chad jackson, anyone interested?[/b][/quote]

I GUESS THE PATS NEED MORE SCOUTS!!!!11111111

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='693756' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:54 PM']I GUESS THE PATS NEED MORE SCOUTS!!!!11111111[/quote]

If anyone wants to seriously deny that the Bengals need a bigger scouting department, then they are flat out fucking stupid.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693763' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:10 PM']If anyone wants to seriously deny that the Bengals need a bigger scouting department, then they are flat out fucking stupid.[/quote]
id say the bengals drafting has been DAMN good since marvin got here. id say the bengals luck with injuries especially to draft picks is VERY BAD since marvin got here. though id rather have good picks that get injured than bad picks who play and suck (pre marvin). and a larger scouting department isnt going to change getting good players who dont have injury pasts and get injured.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='693767' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:22 PM']id say the bengals drafting has been DAMN good since marvin got here. id say the bengals luck with injuries especially to draft picks is VERY BAD since marvin got here. though id rather have good picks that get injured than bad picks who play and suck (pre marvin). and a larger scouting department isnt going to change getting good players who dont have injury pasts and get injured.[/quote]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is yours.

If nothing else, a larger scouting department can investigate a kids character better than a small department. Why are/have there been players on our draft boards that haven't been on other teams? Or better yet, were REMOVED from other teams due to character concerns?

The fact is, our team has lacked in the ability to select overall quality character guys, guys who can stay healthy, and guys whose talent matches other teams (especially on defense). You can argue opinion until you're blue in the face and it doesn't matter.

The facts have been on the field, and the on the field results say that our staffs ability to select talented defensive oplayers SUCKS overall.

The number don't lie.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693777' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:46 PM']Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is yours.

If nothing else, a larger scouting department can investigate a kids character better than a small department. Why are/have there been players on our draft boards that haven't been on other teams? Or better yet, were REMOVED from other teams due to character concerns?

The fact is, our team has lacked in the ability to select overall quality character guys, guys who can stay healthy, and guys whose talent matches other teams (especially on defense). You can argue opinion until you're blue in the face and it doesn't matter.

The facts have been on the field, and the on the field results say that our staffs ability to select talented defensive oplayers SUCKS overall.

The number don't lie.[/quote]

I don't think we've drafted poorly at all since Marvin has taken over. Quite well actually. Where you say the team has the inability to select overall quality character guys, I'd argue that its not a matter of not knowing about their problems, but rather choosing to take them anyway. Thurman and Henry's problems in college were well documented, but they still took chances on them anyway because at the time there was no punishments for players or teams for taking players like that.

As for the last comment, you can't seriously think this wouldn't be a different defense with Pollack and Thurman (from a football talent standpoint) on it do you?

If Pollock, Weathersby and Irons stayed healthy, and we hadn't lost Perry for a while, then the drafts look a lot better. And NONE of those were players people expected to get injured, nor did they get injured in expected ways.

Ok we got burnt on a few guys (Thurman, Ratliff, Brooks), a few guys have moved on (Madieu (boo), Landon (huh), Miller and of course Steinbach) but we've also found a few late round steals (Geathers, Andrews, Nuke). Not including the ridiculously dumb picks of Rowe and Nicholson obviously.

So it balances out fairly well. In fact it balances out a LOT better than I expected it to. Sure the late rounds have been almost universal busts but a fit Perry and Irons plus a fit Pollock makes us a lot better. Switch resigning Willie or Justin to keeping Steinbach and maybe Landon (who is a LB who could play which we seem to be short of), then suddenly we are a lot better.

Strange how these things pan out. I consider myself quite surprised when you actually analyse the picks and why they aren't around.

Now T-Munny you ain't gotta be a dick.

on to bigger things...

Orien Harris and the guard...Detroit and New Orleans I read . . . well at least the team got a good look at these guys. Encouraging to hear what Dan Posted from Saints fans, very encouraging. Plus he's from the U? I like that. Plus he's got a cool name . . . I like that too. Plus we got younger and hungrier. I like that a lot.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='693781' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:07 PM']I don't think we've drafted poorly at all since Marvin has taken over. Quite well actually. Where you say the team has the inability to select overall quality character guys, I'd argue that its not a matter of not knowing about their problems, but rather choosing to take them anyway. Thurman and Henry's problems in college were well documented, but they still took chances on them anyway because at the time there was no punishments for players or teams for taking players like that.

As for the last comment, you can't seriously think this wouldn't be a different defense with Pollack and Thurman (from a football talent standpoint) on it do you?[/quote]

therein lies the problem... when you continue to take chances on low character, it burns you when the out of the blue (Pollack) thing hits you. Thurman was MAJOR risk that they knew about, and did it anyway. LB's that were selected after Thurman in the 2005 draft that DIDN'T have major known character flaws;

Channing Crowder
Brady Poppinga
Robert McCune
Daryl Blackstock
Michael Boley

Other defensive players we could've taken who didn't have the flaws;

Justin Tuck
Ellis Hobbs
Chris Canty
Trent Cole

We continue to screw that up, and that is a major concern. It leaves us lacking in depth, lacking in talent, and lacking in chemistry.

None of that is a good thing.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693795' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:36 AM']therein lies the problem... when you continue to take chances on low character, it burns you when the out of the blue (Pollack) thing hits you. Thurman was MAJOR risk that they knew about, and did it anyway. LB's that were selected after Thurman in the 2005 draft that DIDN'T have major known character flaws;

Channing Crowder
Brady Poppinga
Robert McCune
Daryl Blackstock
Michael Boley

Justin Tuck
Ellis Hobbs
Chris Canty
Trent Cole

We continue to screw that up, and that is a major concern. It leaves us lacking in depth, lacking in talent, and lacking in chemistry.

None of that is a good thing.[/quote]
I don't think anyone would argue against that, USN. But the point is, the scouting is not to blame. You could have a million scouts, but if "the redeemer" wants to take a flier on a high-talent/high-risk pick, what difference would it make?

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693777' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:46 PM']Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is yours.

If nothing else, a larger scouting department [b]can investigate a kids character better than a small department.[/b] Why are/have there been players on our draft boards that haven't been on other teams? Or better yet, were REMOVED from other teams due to character concerns?

The number don't lie.[/quote]

we knew the character concerns when we took them.....

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693795' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:36 PM']therein lies the problem... when you continue to take chances on low character, it burns you when the out of the blue (Pollack) thing hits you. Thurman was MAJOR risk that they knew about, and did it anyway. LB's that were selected after Thurman in the 2005 draft that DIDN'T have major known character flaws;

Channing Crowder
Brady Poppinga
Robert McCune
Daryl Blackstock
Michael Boley

Justin Tuck
Ellis Hobbs
Chris Canty
Trent Cole

None of that is a good thing.[/quote]

Crowder had severe knee injuries and it was unsure if he could last more than a couple seasons in the NFL if he could even play a full one. What have the other 4 done? Hell we have blackstock so i guess we win that.

Tuck is solid, Cole is solid, Hobbs we dont need, Canty ok. None of them are/were as good as Thurman. Too bad he has a disease (alcoholism) that he cant overcome.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='693797' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:39 PM']I don't think anyone would argue against that, USN. But the point is, the scouting is not to blame. You could have a million scouts, but if "the redeemer" wants to take a flier on a high-talent/high-risk pick, what difference would it make?[/quote]
Thanks Kangar... I was waiting for someone else to bring that up!

All homerism and preseason optimism aside, this team does NOT have the chance to build a sustained winning tradition until Mike Brown either;

1) Steps aside and selects a GM that gets full power to make personnel decisions and hire football people.

2) Sells the team and the next owner hands the reigns to real football people.

For those of you who can't see that, I'm sorry for you. It is nothing but bare naked truth. The numbers once again DO NOT lie.

Thanks for keeping the team here Mike Brown, now it's going on 20 years since your dad dies and the stats say that you suck as a "football guy".

Much love son of Paul Brown, but it's true. This is why I am STILL a huge Marvin Lewis fan, he changed the culture here while having the handicap of Mike Brown weighing him down.

That my friends, is almost unbelievable.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='693799' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:45 PM']we knew the character concerns when we took them.....

Crowder had severe knee injuries and it was unsure if he could last more than a couple seasons in the NFL if he could even play a full one. What have the other 4 done? Hell we have blackstock so i guess we win that.

Tuck is solid, Cole is solid, Hobbs we dont need, Canty ok. None of them are/were as good as Thurman. Too bad he has a disease (alcoholism) that he cant overcome.[/quote]
From all reports, Odell Thurman was off EVERY OTHER NFL TEAMS BOARDS because of his problems. EVERYONE but the Bengals? We were STUPID enoug to take the chance and got severely burnt by it... we were DUMB to take the chance because it has hurt us more than it helped in the long run.

You can't argue that fact... although I'm sure you will try to.

The very fact that the rest of the people on that list are active NFLplayers and have/will produce for NFL teams (most of them starters) puts them lightears ahead of the Bengals and Thurman. The first step in addressing and fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.

WE DO!!!!

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='693803' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:51 PM']From all reports, Odell Thurman was off EVERY OTHER NFL TEAMS BOARDS because of his problems. EVERYONE but the Bengals? We were STUPID enoug to take the chance and got severely burnt by it... we were DUMB to take the chance because it has hurt us more than it helped in the long run.

You can't argue that fact... although I'm sure you will try to.

The very fact that the rest of the people on that list are active NFLplayers and have/will produce for NFL teams (most of them starters) puts them lightears ahead of the Bengals and Thurman. The first step in addressing and fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.

WE DO!!!![/quote]

my gut tells me the way the nfl draft boards go, Thruman was probabally graded lower by everyone else because of those issues, but I doubt he was completely off their boards. Much more likely he would have been a 2nd day pick.

Archived