Roster pickups

[quote name='High School Harry' date='02 September 2009 - 06:30 AM' timestamp='1251887402' post='797205']
I also read somewhere and didn't cut and post because it was in the middle of a bunch of other crap
that most of the sacks we have given up so far are not the fault of the OLine. Just passing it along
and not the source, but food for thought.
[/quote]

yeah Marvin was quick to point this out in his press conference...

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 September 2009 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1251857897' post='797158']
PFT

seem to remember him being a decent blocker coming out.
[/quote]

Actually he was a teammate of Quinn Sypniewski at Colorado. Klopfenstein was the "receiver" TE and he went in the 2nd round. Sypniewski was a gigantin (6'6", 270) blocking TE that the Ravens took in the 5th or 6th round. Klopfenstein ended up being a bust, and Sypniewski missed all of the '08 season with an injury he never recovered from. The Ravens released him this summer.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 September 2009 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1251830684' post='796961']
here's a realistic one (per pft):

though he might be more of a catching TE than blocker.

96 catches in 8 years. So maybe not that great.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/7/13/942699/2009-denver-broncos-breaking-down
[/quote]

:lol: Jeb Putzier was always in a Jacked Up highlight :lol:

[quote name='mjm47' date='31 August 2009 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1251739154' post='796623']
The Browns released Rod Hood - that may mean that he's washed up, but our nickel back situation is not very comforting at the moment.
[/quote]

Chris Crocker can and probably will play the nickle and effectively imo..
Chinny and Williams would then man the safety positions...
Dont think that Tom Nelson isnt going to make his mark this season in the secondary either...he's a good football player.

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='02 September 2009 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1251946242' post='797425']
Chris Crocker can and probably will play the nickle and effectively imo..
Chinny and Williams would then man the safety positions...
Dont think that Tom Nelson isnt going to make his mark this season in the secondary either...he's a good football player.
[/quote]

Yep!!

Tackle depth?

[quote]Chiefs chop eight, including McIntosh
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 4:33 PM ET

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced the release of eight players, as they attempt to work toward 53 players by 6:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Gone are fullback Jed Collins, cornerback Travis Daniels, cornerback Londen Fryar, center Eric Ghiaciuc, [b]tackle Damion McIntosh[/b], linebacker Corey Smith, tackle Herb Taylor, and guard Tavares Washington.

[b]The biggest surprise is McIntosh, an eight-year starter who was due to make $2.2 million this year. He started 16 games last year at right tackle for the Chiefs, and he has been a regular starter at left and right tackle since 2001 for the Chargers and Dolphins, too.

In all, McIntosh has starter 111 career games.

Because he's a vested veteran, he instantly becomes a free agent, and he likely won't be out of work for long. [/b]
[/quote]

I know some of you wanted to draft TE Leonard Pope a few years ago. Also cut was UC guard Trevor Canfield.

[quote]Cards cut down to 53
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 5:46 PM ET

The Arizona Cardinals have determined the 53 men with whom they'll start the season.

Unless and until, that is, the Cardinals pick up some of the players who'll be cut by other teams in the next 24 hours.

The team has announced that the following players have been released: linebacker Chase Bullock, g[b]uard Trevor Canfield[/b], fullback Tim Castille, cornerback Jameel Dowling, defensive tackle Keilen Dykes, defensive end Alex Field, cornerback Wilfrey Fontenot, center Melvin Fowler, safety Aaron Francisco, receiver Ed Gant, linebacker Victor Hobson, linebacker David Holoway, receiver Onrea Jones, defensive tackle Rodney Leisle, fullback Regan Maui'a, guard Carlton Medder, quarterback Tyler Palko, [b]tight end Leonard Pope[/b], tackle Oliver Ross, receiver Steve Sanders, and running back Chris Vincent.

Any of them with less than four years of service will be subjected to waivers. Any of them with four or more years of service will become unrestricted free agents.[/quote]

[quote name='sparky151' date='31 August 2009 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1251741425' post='796630']
Hood was never a great player but he's [b]a vet [/b]which is better than we have now at backup CB.
[/quote]
lol, you mean like Jamar Fletcher?

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='01 September 2009 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1251844196' post='797072']
Not to sound like Mike Brown, but.......

When Marvin made the statement yesterday that the TE and FB positions are pretty interchangeable in their scheme, it made me wonder if Chris Pressley has received some looks at TE. He has a great reputation for blocking. He's already on the team. They aren't going to carry 3 FB's. And Johnson and Fui are ahead of him there.

I know it's not as drastic as converting a DE to TE. Or even for that matter, converting a DT to an OG. Yeah....probably not drastic enough to float.
[/quote]

i dont think pressley makes the team and id say his value at TE is almost zero.. ..i dont think theyll start any "new projects" at this point...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='04 September 2009 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1252110275' post='798331']
i dont think pressley makes the team and id say his value at TE is almost zero.. ..i dont think theyll start any "new projects" at this point...
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that they did have Fui take some snaps at TE thursday in the second half. I could be wrong, because I was about 8 into those 8 dollar beers at PBS, but I think it was tinkering to see what he could do. :1062: :1062:

[quote name='kennethmw' date='05 September 2009 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1252163809' post='798480']
I'm pretty sure that they did have Fui take some snaps at TE thursday in the second half. I could be wrong, because I was about 8 into those 8 dollar beers at PBS, but I think it was tinkering to see what he could do. :1062: :1062:
[/quote]

I think I saw Pressley take 1 or 2 snaps at TE Thursday.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='02 September 2009 - 01:12 AM' timestamp='1251864757' post='797192']
wow.. what an OSU suckfest over a below average journeyman TE....

would have liked rod hood months ago.. still would now.. how are the browns cutting anyone on DB side tho?

they arent too good there... seems like something might be wrong with rod hood... aside from not being that great, as we all knew.

CB and OL are my only real concerns..

Coates is a "good" blocker.. and coffman is a good receiver.. coates hands are ok, about the same as reggie,

and coates can be dropped back into the backfield to block and audible too..

i doubt a shitty TE comes in and does anything but supply depth behind the two we have now..

and frankly, someone that crappy will still be jobless if ever needed anyway...
[/quote]

I agree.

Also how many guys that may not have had a chance to play in the NFL had App St not beaten Mich.

[quote]Steelers cut ties with Madison, Davises
Posted by Tom Curran on September 5, 2009 2:10 PM ET

Mike Tomlin's already made his cuts in Pittsburgh but they haven't been revealed. Still, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette was able to ferret out some of the names hitting the open market later today.

Among them, veteran corner Anthony Madison, 2008 third-round defensive end Bruce Davis and running back Carey Davis.

Madison had been with the Steelers three years and was a nickel and dime package corner. [b]Bruce Davis was a third-round selection out of UCLA in 2008.[/b]

Carey Davis, who was waived/injured had 11 starts in his three seasons in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers also cut rookie running back Isaac Redman who led the team with 145 rushing yards and three touchdowns in the preseason. There's a likelihood the Steelers will try to sign him to their practice squad.
[/quote]

Wouldn't mind putting Bruce Davis on the practice squad if he's eligible. He was a nice defensive end at UCLA.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1252175707' post='798602']
Wouldn't mind putting Bruce Davis on the practice squad if he's eligible. He was a nice defensive end at UCLA.
[/quote]

I think people think the rules for putting players on the practice squad are a lot more wide open then they really are......

[url="http://ozoneshadow.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/practice-squad-eligibility/"]My link[/url]

[b][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/url][/b]At least one Pats trade at tight end -- David Thomas goes to New Orleans for an undisclosed 2011 draft pick .
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3786643157"]5 minutes ago[/url] from web [b][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][color="#0a0501"]
[b][/url][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][color="#0a0501"][/color][/url]

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][/b]Adam_Schefter[/color][/url][/b]I'm now hearing it's going to be a wild day at tight end for the Pats. Stay tuned for details.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3786617912"]7 minutes ago[/url] from web

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] Indications now are that the Patriots also have released TE Alex Smith, which must mean that Ben Watson has made the final 53-man roster.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3786740046"]3 minutes ago[/url] from web

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 September 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1252191723' post='798714']
Former Bearcat CB Mike Mickens and former Bengal WR Jesse Holley
were just cut by the Cowboys.
[/quote]
being slim at corner I would think mickens might get a look

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 September 2009 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1252189058' post='798701']
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] Indications now are that the Patriots also have released TE Alex Smith, which must mean that Ben Watson has made the final 53-man roster.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3786740046"]3 minutes ago[/url] from web
[/quote]
Pats make moves at tight end
Posted by Tom Curran on September 5, 2009 6:25 PM ET

The Patriots have solved their logjam at the tight end position by dealing David Thomas to the Saints, releasing veteran Alex Smith and then trading with the Giants for tight end Michael Matthews in exchange for a conditional pick. Adam Schefter at ESPN tweeted those moves.

That means New England now has Benjamin Watson and Chris Baker at the position along with Matthews, a tight end who's more proficient as a blocker than receiver.

In the spring, the Patriots sent Tampa Bay a fifth-round pick in next spring's draft for Smith, a third-rounder back in 2005. Thomas, meanwhile, was a third-round pick out of Texas in the 2006 draft. He's an excellent receiver but not much of a blocker.

Given the pressure Tom Brady is sure to see from opposing pass rushes this season, the Pats may be looking to shore up the tight end area with bodyguards.

Archived