Larry Johnson is a Bengal

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='16 November 2009 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1258395538' post='828818']
I have to be honest. I'm not very excited about this.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. If anything, I'm a little worried. Like everyone else said, I hope it doesn't mess up our locker room because right our our players comment about how this is the best team chemistry they've ever seen and we all know that is just as important as talent in the long run. Secondly, as long as Benson isn't out too long, I'd like to see us show confidence in our backups. I think Scott and Leonard could hold their own and that confidence from Marvin in those two guys could do wonders. Much like Fanene, Brandon Johnson, Ndukwe, Trent, etc., when one guy goes down, plug in the next guy and have confidence in him.

The only way I like the signing is if Benson is hurt worse than we realize and he's only here for one year. If that's the case, I also hope Scott is still the starter. In my opinion, Larry Johnson is at the bottom of our totem pole as an insurance policy only.

Updated: November 16, 2009, 1:24 PM ET
Bengals-Johnson union imminent?
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was en route to Cincinnati on Monday and, barring a last-minute breakdown, he expects to sign with the AFC North-leading Bengals, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN's Michael Smith.

Johnson
Johnson

A deal, if consummated, is expected to be for the prorated league minimum.

The Bengals, along with several other teams, first expressed interest in Johnson last week as depth behind Cedric Benson, who suffered a hip injury in Sunday's 18-12 victory at Pittsburgh.

If Johnson learns the offense quickly, it stands to reason he could be active for the Bengals on Sunday against the Raiders.

The Chiefs released Johnson last Monday, the day he was due back from his second (two-week) suspension in the past 12 months. His last brush with controversy came two weeks ago when he posted on his Twitter account a gay slur, insulted followers and questioned the competence of head coach Todd Haley.

Since rushing for a team-record 1,789 yards on an NFL-record 416 carries in 2006, Johnson was never quite the same in Kansas City.

In 2008, then-coach Herm Edwards benched him for three straight games for violating team rules and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him a fourth game for violating the league's player conduct policy.

Johnson was later sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace. One woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her head at a Kansas City night spot.

After his huge year in '06, Johnson stayed away from training camp, demanding more money and he got it, a six-year deal worth $45 million, including $19 million guaranteed.

But hampered by a foot injury, he wound up with only 559 yards and three touchdowns. In 2008, he ran for 874 yards as the Chiefs sank to 2-14. Still, Johnson was only 75 yards away from breaking Priest Holmes' team rushing record when the team let him go.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

The Bengals locker room is bigger than Larry Johnson. I'm not worried about the chemistry. Winning goes a long way toward smoothing an otherwise bumpy road. Remember, this is a team of castoffs. LJ would fit right in and chances are he'll even embrace this as an opportunity to silence his haters. I have no problem with adding depth behind Ced. No problem at all.

There's no downside here. The lockeroom distraction is overblown. Plus, you could always just cut him - he only costs peanuts.

If we're making a Super Bowl run, we need big time depth. This is a great addition/insurance policy.

We will be happy we have him for one year.

NFL.com has picked this up as well:
Linky: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/16/source-larry-johnson-working-out-with-bengals-on-monday/
[quote][b]Source: Larry Johnson working out with Bengals [/b]
Steve Wyche - 2 hours ago

Free agent running back Larry Johnson, who was recently released by Kansas City, is working out for the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday and could be signed if he passes a physical and if he impresses team officials, a team source confirmed.[/quote]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='16 November 2009 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1258396511' post='828839']
glad I saw this now before I get on a plane back to ciny. bheading to LAX now and I gotta be on a plane for 4 hrs, I hope we have the deal done by the time I land.
[/quote]
Da hell you doin out there? You might as well stay out there for the game this Sunday.

[quote name='bengalfanatl' date='16 November 2009 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1258396624' post='828841']
not excited about this either... just seems kind of wrong to bring in someone who by all accounts is a bit troubled. and for the poster who think shis twiiter thing was his only transgression or it was blown out of proportion, he has been arrested at least twice and likes to Jim Brown the ladies
[/quote]

Wasn't LJ's problems with the media not the other players? Wasn't the most recent issue dealing with him calling someone a fag? Big deal... He won't be an issue in the locker room.

If we removed every one of our players who had a past... We wouldn't have a team.

[quote name='BengalsRule85' date='16 November 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1258396681' post='828842']
Wasn't LJ's problems with the media not the other players? Wasn't the most recent issue dealing with him calling someone a fag? Big deal... He won't be an issue in the locker room.
[/quote]

He also said his dad had more credentials then his coach todd haley. Funny thing is it might be true.

I don't understand though, if Ced is healthy who is deactivated sundays? We need Scott cause he has the speed and moves that Benson and Johnson do not have, and he returns kicks. Leonard is Mr. Clutch on 3rd and 4th down. So wtf are we supposed to do?

I don't really see the point in this especially since Benson's injury is not very serious at all.

[quote name='BengalsRule85' date='16 November 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1258396681' post='828842']

If we removed every one of our players who had a past... We wouldn't have a team.
[/quote]

Well, that's one thing the Media don't know we exist still

"I dont think its a risky move at all, I think its a brilliant move." Ron Jaworski.

I think the bengals saw the game against the steelers and realized if it happened in the playoffs or something we would be fucked because Scott cant carry the load. Johnson gives us a guy that can sub in for Benson if he gets hurt in a big game against a physical run D and not hurt us too much.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' date='16 November 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1258396850' post='828848']
I don't understand though, if Ced is healthy who is deactivated sundays? We need Scott cause he has the speed and moves that Benson and Johnson do not have, and he returns kicks. Leonard is Mr. Clutch on 3rd and 4th down. So wtf are we supposed to do?

I don't really see the point in this especially since Benson's injury is not very serious at all.
[/quote]

Once he was a dominant back. Now we can get him at league minimum... What's the problem with that. If it works out... It works out. If not cut him. I fail to see how this is a serious problem. Very low risk with a very large upside.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='16 November 2009 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1258396760' post='828845']
Ehh I dislike it and don't see why they couldn't just give Leonard more carries. Also Larry Johnson hasn't been good since 2005.

Looks like practice fodder with the slight possibility of being a quality backup for the late stretch.
[/quote]

Leonard isn't going to be an effective runner in the NFL................ever. His job is to catch screens and leak out of the backfield for checkdown passes, which he does very well.
Benson can't continue at the pace he's on this season if he's expected to be as effective come playoff time. He needs a break and LJ will (potentially) be able to provide that.

The Redeemer (tm) strikes again!

[quote name='IKOTA' date='16 November 2009 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1258397253' post='828855']
Leonard isn't going to be an effective runner in the NFL................ever. His job is to catch screens and leak out of the backfield for checkdown passes, which he does very well.
Benson can't continue at the pace he's on this season if he's expected to be as effective come playoff time. He needs a break and LJ will (potentially) be able to provide that.

[/quote]

Totally agree. No RB can keep up the 30+ carries a game and expect to be healthy. This team is playoff bound and it must have someone else who can help carry the rock or totally take over the job if Benson gets injured. Scott and Leonard aren't the answer. They are 3rd down backs.

[quote name='BengalsRule85' date='16 November 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1258397247' post='828854']
Once he was a dominant back. Now we can get him at league minimum... What's the problem with that. If it works out... It works out. If not cut him. I fail to see how this is a serious problem. Very low risk with a very large upside.
[/quote]

I'm very misunderstood

I didn't mean it's a problem. If he can still run like he used to, it's an excellent move. My question was when Ced is healthy who gets active?

I don't think it's wrong to be curious about such things. It's a good problem to have though, 4 very capable players at RB

[quote name='IKOTA' date='16 November 2009 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1258397253' post='828855']

[/quote]

Ehh, I'm gonna disagree. We don't need another back on the roster to lug the rock 30 times a game. Leonard is perfectly capable of 10-12 carries and Scott looked capable enough of 10-12 carries against the #1 rush D in the league to spell Benson (cause after all thats what we're talking about unless Benson is seriously hurt and they aren't letting on).

Plus I'm of the camp that Larry Johnson is and has been garbge for a while, so I don't think this helps very much, but I've been wrong before.

Archived