MAGIC NUMBER: 1

I know we already have a playoff thread, but I just thought we could also have a thread to show our magic number to winning the AFC N.

Right now its at 4, meaning 4 of the combination of bengals wins and steeler losses and we win the division.

And our magic number to eliminate the ravens is 3.

But at this point 4 is the number that matters, so hopefully the ravens win tonight then we only need a combo of 3 bengals wins and steelers losses to clinch the division!!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='29 November 2009 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1259541747' post='834463']
I know we already have a playoff thread, but I just thought we could also have a thread to show our magic number to winning the AFC N.

Right now its at 4, meaning 4 of the combination of bengals wins and steeler losses and we win the division.

And our magic number to eliminate the ravens is 3.

But at this point 4 is the number that matters, so hopefully the ravens win tonight then we only need a combo of 3 bengals wins and steelers losses to clinch the division!!
[/quote]
What if they tie?

[quote name='Oldcat' date='29 November 2009 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1259541807' post='834467']
What if they tie?
[/quote]

We need 4 bengals wins/steeler losses, ties would just count for .5 towards that.

For example bengals finish 3-2, steelers finish 5-0-1, then we only got to 3.5 towards our magic number, they finish 11-4-1 we finish 11-5, they win the division.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='30 November 2009 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1259557018' post='834777']
Its the Ravens magic number you need to count now
[/quote]

Its the same either way...3 bengals wins/steeler or ravens losses.

For example, if we win 2 games, then we need both the steelers and ravens to lose 1.

If we win 3 games it doesnt matter what they do.

If we win 1 game, then we need each of those teams to lose 2.

Either way our magic number is 3.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='29 November 2009 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1259557133' post='834781']
Its the same either way...3 bengals wins/steeler or ravens losses.

For example, if we win 2 games, then we need both the steelers and ravens to lose 1.

If we win 3 games it doesnt matter what they do.

If we win 1 game, then we need each of those teams to lose 2.

Either way our magic number is 3.
[/quote]

Just reminding any lurking Steeler fans they are in third place now

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' date='06 December 2009 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1260143752' post='837858']
if go to Minny and beat them that would be so epic

I think it'll be the toughest game of the year hands down
[/quote]
It will no doubt be tough, but I'm thinking the Chargers game will be as tough - if not more. Either way, both games are huge.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='06 December 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1260146963' post='837890']
It will no doubt be tough, but I'm thinking the Chargers game will be as tough - if not more. Either way, both games are huge.
[/quote]

In truth, the only way the Minny game is important is if Denver Wins out. If they lose one (5 loses and we lose the Minny game, we have 4 we still control everything. Beating SD is huge as it nearly gives us the 2nd seed unless we collapse.

[quote name='ccartman2' date='06 December 2009 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1260148824' post='837919']
In truth, the only way the Minny game is important is if Denver Wins out. If they lose one (5 loses and we lose the Minny game, we have 4 we still control everything. Beating SD is huge as it nearly gives us the 2nd seed unless we collapse.
[/quote]

Eh not entirely true.

Lets say we beat Minnesota, and lose to SD. But win the rest of our games.

If SD beats us, but loses losable games to Dallas and Tenn, we would get the 2 seed, even if they beat us.

Yeah I think its more important that we just beat SD and take care of business, but Minnesota is still an important game.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='06 December 2009 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1260154423' post='838026']
Vikings are looking very beatable right now.
[/quote]

They are getting killed in the passing game, not that I dont think we cant win, but we dont have the passing game AZ has. I do think SD looked VERY beatable today though.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 December 2009 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1260154583' post='838030']
They are getting killed in the passing game, not that I dont think we cant win, but we dont have the passing game AZ has. I do think SD looked VERY beatable today though.
[/quote]

a small part of me wonders about Carson's arm strength and if the wind the last two weeks has effected 1 or 2 of his throws. He did sail one to Chad today that would have been a big gainer.

There's other issues as well, but I wonder if that is a problem, and what effect playing in a dome will have on the passing game this week.

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='07 December 2009 - 01:53 AM' timestamp='1260147208' post='837893']
Nah. Fuck the Chargers. I really hope we go there and fuck them up.

Imagine the amount of media that will be suckin on the Bengals ballsack if we go to Minn and beat up on Farve. hahaha. would be crazy.
[/quote]

funny you say that... we seem to play well against Bret. Can we send that dude back up to jump on the field again? That never gets old.

[quote name='BengalBeotch' date='07 December 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1260201938' post='838262']
funny you say that... we seem to play well against Bret. Can we send that dude back up to jump on the field again? That never gets old.
[/quote]

Hahaha oh GOD. I totally forgot about that. Thanks for bringing that glorious memory back. lol. That shit was soooooooo hilarious.

[b][size="5"]Bengals' magic number is 1 for North title[/size][/b]
Posted Dec 7, 2009

The next Bengals' victory gives them the 2009 AFC North title and the guarantee of a playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium.

The Packers made sure of that in Monday night's 27-14 victory over the visiting Ravens that dropped Baltimore into a second-place tie with Pittsburgh at 6-6 with four games left in the regular season.

Since the 9-3 Bengals swept the Ravens and Steelers, Cincinnati wins any tiebreaker. One win by the Bengals to get them to 10 victories clinches at least a tie. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are eliminated with their next losses.

The Steelers still have to host Baltimore Dec. 27 in the next-to-last game of the season.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-magic-number-is-1-for-North-title/009f562e-2a9a-40a4-b841-8085223cc503"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-magic-number-is-1-for-North-title/009f562e-2a9a-40a4-b841-8085223cc503[/url]

[quote name='mongo' date='08 December 2009 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1260276921' post='838594']
I'm curious. With the steelers and ravens losing, are we still seen as a really good team? Or does revisionist history currently have us atop a bad division?
[/quote]

I have a feeling, regardless of what happens, the squawking heads will simply lament that the Stealers and Rats--the two participants in last year's AFC Title Game--will just "have had a down year".

We'll be seen as only the one-year wonders who took advantage of their collective downturn, and that all will return to "normal" in 2010.

[quote name='mongo' date='08 December 2009 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1260276921' post='838594']
I'm curious. With the steelers and ravens losing, are we still seen as a really good team? Or does revisionist history currently have us atop a bad division?
[/quote]

I don't know if we will ever be considered as a good team in the eyes of the media. Honestly, I believe that even if we get the #2 seed, we will be underdogs to whomever we play.

Archived