Stay Classy, Cleveland

1978 - Houston Oilers at Cleveland Browns - Refs rule "simultaneous posession" on a pass play, giving the ball to the Oilers. They kick a game-winning field goal as time expires on the very next play. Browns fans shower the field with beer bottles (they were glass back then).

1988 - Houston Oilers at Cleveland Browns - Oiler receiver goes out of bounds and plows into a defenseless cameraman, knocking him out near the Dawg Pound. While paramedics work on the dude along the sideline, Browns fans pelt them and the unconscious and helpless cameraman with snowballs and beer bottles.

1993 - Miami Dolphins at Cleveland Browns (Monday Night Football) - Dan Marino goes down untouched, crumpling to the ground after tearing his Achilles on the awful turf. Browns fans cheered. Al Michaels expressed his disgust over the air, Dierdorf and Gifford did likewise.

1996 - Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns - Fans upset due to Art Modell's decision to move his team to Baltimore, brought tools including hacksaws to their franchise's final game as the Browns. They ripped entire rows of seats out of the city-owned stadium, passing them hand-over-hand to field level where they were hurled into the playing area during play. Fearing injury to the players, refs moved play to other end of the stadium.

1997 - Chicago White Sox at Cleveland Indians - Former Indian Albert Belle is pelted by debris by Cleveland fans in left field, throwing coins, broken glass, and beer bottles.

1998 - New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians (ALS) - Cleveland fans taunt Yankee starter David Wells during his pregame bullpen warmups, making obscene comments about his Mother, who had died only 18 months before. They even got children involved in the taunting.

2001 - Jacksonville Jaguars at Cleveland Browns - Browns lose an instant replay appeal, resulting in an apparent game-winning TD being erased. Browns fans react by pelting Jaguar players and refs with (you guessed it) beer bottles.

2006 - New Orleans Saints at Cleveland Browns - A fan with spina bifida left his wheelchair at the bottom of a landing before walking up to his seat. At the end of the game he walked back down to learn that some Cleveland fans had stolen it.

2008 - Indianapolis Colts at Cleveland Browns - Browns QB Derek Anderson goes down in the waning moments of a close loss to the Colts, spraining his MCL when Browns RT Kevin Shaffer landed on Anderson's leg. Laying on the field, in pain, with what would be a season-ending injury, Anderson situation was greeted with cheers from the Cleveland fans.

These fans are routinely tagged with "best fans in the world" honors by the media. I think there's a significant difference between being a good fan and being a hooligan. The consistently boorish behavior by North Coasters over the past three decades is pretty damning, IMO.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='10 March 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1268278122' post='869497']
wow...and people get mad because there are bengals fans that boo when their team is playing bad.
[/quote]

its the booing when the team is winning or tied and has already swept the division and are in route to clinching it and the home playoffs that gets real fans and players mad...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 March 2010 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1268280595' post='869515']
its the booing when the team is winning or tied and has already swept the division and are in route to clinching it and the home playoffs that gets [color="#FF0000"]real fans[/color] and players mad...
[/quote]

lolz

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='10 March 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1268280919' post='869517']
lolz
[/quote]

considering we couldnt sell out games sweeping the division and getting a home playoff game i cant see how its even disputable, economy kept out some good fans sadly, but the bandwagon was wide and deep...

the number of decent fans here are minimal...

the same people booing during a very successful season with several last minute comebacks are the same ones i hear booing the players who arent even on the field at the time "nice catch CHAD" when caldwell drops a pass, etc), asking who # so and so is, stating that the bengals would be better if they got brian kelly and tony pike in here, etc...

we dont even need to get into the lack of support for the defense, even a top ranked badass one,

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 March 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1268281484' post='869520']
considering we couldnt sell out games sweeping the division and getting a home playoff game i cant see how its even disputable, economy kept out some good fans sadly, but the bandwagon was wide and deep...

the same people booing during a very successful season with several last minute comebacks are the same ones i hear booing the players who arent even on the field at the time "nice catch CHAD" when caldwell drops a pass, etc), asking who # so and so is, stating that the bengals would be better if they got brian kelly and tony pike in here, etc...

we dont even need to get into the lack of support for the defense, even a top ranked badass one,
[/quote]

yes clearly anyone who boos them isnt a real fan, even if they pay their money and show up, the economy kept the real fans out, clearly it was the poor economy that created the boos

not the poor play of the offense, not the continued drive killing penalties that were still happening at the end of the season, nope it was the economy that kept the real fans out and the not real ones in and thus the creation of the boos

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 March 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1268281484' post='869520']

[/quote]

Sorry, but the Bengals 2009 version was boring as hell.

Extremely boring. It was like sitting down and watching CSI with the wife. I was kinda intrigued, but at the end, I was like "Man, I could've gotten something accomplished instead of watching this."

Just my honest opinion.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='10 March 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1268282026' post='869526']

Extremely boring. It was like sitting down and watching CSI with the wife. I was kinda intrigued, but at the end, I was like "Man, I could've gotten something accomplished instead of watching this."

Just my honest opinion.
[/quote]

idk why i find myself agreeing with this, but i do.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='10 March 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1268281772' post='869523']
yes clearly anyone who boos them isnt a real fan, even if they pay their money and show up, the economy kept the real fans out, clearly it was the poor economy that created the boos

not the poor play of the offense, not the continued drive killing penalties that were still happening at the end of the season, nope it was the economy that kept the real fans out and the not real ones in and thus the creation of the boos
[/quote]

i didnt say it created the boos, i said sadly the economy did keep some good fans out, how many times ahve you even been to PBS? why are you even arguing about this? you dont live here, you dont go to games here, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about...

wtf....

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='10 March 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1268282026' post='869526']

Just my honest opinion.
[/quote]

it was indeed boring as fucking hell some games...

i dont boo at the TV when a boring episode is on...

many fans here and most cities i assume, can only get pumped over 350 passing yards and winning 42-0

anyone not expecting conservative offense given our skill and performance level in many phases of the offense the last 2 years after seeing it for the first 5-10 games straight either isnt very smart or isnt very smart.

only teams who sucked total donkey ass let us light them up, like the packers defense and the bears....

to have swept and won the division with the offense we had is pretty amazing, the death, the drops, the oline play, the TE play, fuck its amazing we were over .500..

sadly boring ass running all the time got us there.. .. better a boring run based offense and playoffs than a keep trying to pass anyway.. hurt carson, fitzpatrick 4-11-1 season if you ask me..

Just my honest opinion.
[/quote]

And yet, here you are, day in and day out, with almost 16,000 posts about such a boring hobby.

Mind-boggling, really.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='11 March 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1268283777' post='869539']
And yet, here you are, day in and day out, with almost 16,000 posts about such a boring hobby.

Mind-boggling, really.
[/quote]

2000 in the last 3 years probably...

Giving people hell on here is a nice distraction from normal life.

[/quote]

You are delusional if you think the same thing does not go on in every NFL city or for that matter every sports venue for any sport.

I don't really get why you root for the Bengals.

You hate the area.
You hate the fans.

Seriously, why?

I say you find a team that has fans that coddle and kiss and love the players/coaches/organization 100% of the time and become a fan of that team. What will you do with your Sundays on your endless search though?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='10 March 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1268280919' post='869517']
lolz
[/quote]

Dude there are a lot of fake fans. As soon as the team doesn't perform they run and go buy an airplane to fly over PBS or stick their hand in a toilet. When the team wins, you don't hear shit from them.

If a cause is legit win the team is losing, the cause should be legit when the team is winning.

As far as Cleveland Browns go, they suck. There are alot of "new" Bengal fans that have been around since Cleveland sucked (well they always suck)but they (Browns) smell an ounce of success and it is the most annoying NFL fan base hands down. It's not just average Joe Cleveland fan it's alot of media as well. It will be worse than band wagon Cub fans. You never want to see a good Cleveland team, it will suck and be annoying as hell.

Anyway after last season Bengal fans have no room to poke fun at other fan bases. The reality is, Bengal fans are bottom 5 if not worse. There's no 12th man, the fan base is poisoned and whiney, during the season it would be a hard to tell if the Bengals played there judging by the downtown area. Fans make noise on critical offensive snaps. From my point of view alot of Bengals fans want to drink to much, pretend PBS is open mic night, and bitch about an offensive coordinator. WHO DEY!

Just my honest opinion.
[/quote]

Above is simply proof of our ignorant fan base. It's why our fan base sucks. They are football ignorant.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 March 2010 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1268309144' post='869575']
You are delusional if you think the same thing does not go on in every NFL city or for that matter every sports venue for any sport.

I don't really get why you root for the Bengals.

You hate the area.
You hate the fans.

Seriously, why?

I say you find a team that has fans that coddle and kiss and love the players/coaches/organization 100% of the time and become a fan of that team. What will you do with your Sundays on your endless search though?
[/quote]

By all accounts Go makes trips to alot of different football cities so I say he has a good reference point.

From my point of view there is no hiding that alot of our fans suck today. I don't know how we got here but look at Bengals Own post, just the dumb mindset of bengal fans.

I've been attending Bengals games for a while and I've been to several away games college and pro. Bengal fans today are severly lacking. Oldschooler always one thing that is true, many of our fans want to act like victims. The stadium doesn't rock. Baltimore rocks. Do they play exciting football? No, their fan base is there to party in a football atmosphere because they know what it is like not to have it.

Indy, IMO, used to be the worse. I still don't think they are great but it's refreshing going up there. Watching group of fans that actually enjoy their team instead of hate it. Green Bay, just a class football smart bunch that love going.

Bengal fans are just whiney assholes for the most part.

[quote name='scharm' date='11 March 2010 - 07:42 AM' timestamp='1268311343' post='869584']
By all accounts Go makes trips to alot of different football cities so I say he has a good reference point.

From my point of view there is no hiding that alot of our fans suck today. I don't know how we got here but look at Bengals Own post, just the dumb mindset of bengal fans.

I've been attending Bengals games for a while and I've been to several away games college and pro. Bengal fans today are severly lacking. Oldschooler always one thing that is true, many of our fans want to act like victims. The stadium doesn't rock. Baltimore rocks. Do they play exciting football? No, their fan base is there to party in a football atmosphere because they know what it is like not to have it.

Indy, IMO, used to be the worse. I still don't think they are great but it's refreshing going up there. Watching group of fans that actually enjoy their team instead of hate it. Green Bay, just a class football smart bunch that love going.

Bengal fans are just whiney assholes for the most part.
[/quote]

Then explain Philadelphia.....Cleveland and the like....

Fans that boo are fans that care. Period.

Would you rather have booing or indifference by the general fan base?

You can't have a decade plus of pure losing followed by mostly mediocrity(-2 seasons) and expect everything to be peaches and cream.

Baltimore rocks because for the majority of their existence they have fielded a competitive team.

If the Bengals put together a few winning seasons all of that will change.

Bengals fans for the most part ARE an abused fan base and that is directly related to the overall product MB has put on the field...

Let me try and put it this way.....

If a good friend steals money from you over and over again then comes back a few years later and says he has changed do you let him right back in the door with full trust? Or does it take time to build a trust back through actions and for you to become his true friend again?

This whole holier than thou attitude against people that boo is a crock of shit! It happens everywhere....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 March 2010 - 07:51 AM' timestamp='1268311877' post='869588']

Would you rather have booing or indifference?
[/quote]

many of them care too much though. It's nothing more than a form of entertainment. Do you go to a movie and boo halfway through?

Just my honest opinion.
[/quote]
Yeah, 2008 was so much more exciting. It's hilarious. 10 wins, including a division sweep, and fnas are pissed because the wins weren't snazzy enough.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 March 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1268312066' post='869591']
many of them care too much though. It's nothing more than a form of entertainment. Do you go to a movie and boo halfway through?
[/quote]

No...because I do not want to disturb the other people watching, but if the movie sucks I will get up and leave.....comparing a movie to a football game is absurd. They are two totally different forms of entertainment. I have no long term investment of time, money and emotion in the movie's actors, writers, producers....etc etc etc.

I suppose back in the old days they threw tomatoes at the actors when they stunk....should we do that instead? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 March 2010 - 07:51 AM' timestamp='1268311877' post='869588']

Would you rather have booing or indifference?
[/quote]

I think I would settle for a crowd like the playoff game. You whoop two division rivals at home in which the 2nd half was not in question. You spend all those years waiting to kick their ass. Crickets from the crowd.

Sorry, I get jealous going to and watch games in Baltimore. That crowd mixes nicely with that Defense.

You can Boo and care. That's not what happens in Cincy. Fans sit quietly until they see something they want to boo. They wait to boo and if you ever went to a game you know this to be true. Then they sit back down and wait to go get pissed off again. Assholes.

[quote name='scharm' date='11 March 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1268312648' post='869594']
I think I would settle for a crowd like the playoff game. You whoop two division rivals at home in which the 2nd half was not in question. You spend all those years waiting to kick their ass. Crickets from the crowd.

Sorry, I get jealous going to and watch games in Baltimore. That crowd mixes nicely with that Defense.

You can Boo and care. That's not what happens in Cincy. Fans sit quietly until they see something they want to boo. They wait to boo and if you ever went to a game you know this to be true. Then they sit back down and wait to go get pissed off again. Assholes.
[/quote]

I boo and care....(and I do not boo all the time)

I had no voice after that playoff game. I cheered so much so that I almost passed out a few times, but I sure as hell booed Shayne Graham off the field.

[quote]You can't have a decade plus of pure losing followed by mostly mediocrity(-2 seasons) and expect everything to be peaches and cream.
[/quote]

Why? Why can't the Bengals have a stadium that rocks when the team is winning? The 90s will never ever change. There will never be a time in which the results of those games will change.

Not saying you are wrong. There are plenty of fans that feel this way. But, it is a reason why our fan base sucks. It is a root cause.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='10 March 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1268277507' post='869492']

1996 - Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns - Fans upset due to Art Modell's decision to move his team to Baltimore, brought tools including hacksaws to their franchise's final game as the Browns. They ripped entire rows of seats out of the city-owned stadium, passing them hand-over-hand to field level where they were hurled into the playing area during play. Fearing injury to the players, refs moved play to other end of the stadium.

[/quote]

I was at this game sitting in the upper deck right above the dog pound. The seats they were throwing on the field were the huge wood planks that made the bench seating in the dog pound. You would hear this crack and then see the plank go up above the whole rows head and them passed to the first row where they threw it onto the field. There were also explosives thaty went off and left visible holes in the field. That's when they moved to the other end of the field. I have to say it was the best game I have ever been to up there because no one cared about the game at all. People were just ripping the seats out of the concrete and taking sections with them. I still have the wood pieces from my seat that I got. It was really surreal after leaving the stadium to look up and see 200 seat sections just gone. Kinda like when they show the defeated deathstar in Starwars.

That being said, Cleveland fans are some of the most miserable people I have ever watched football with. They care so much that when they are depressed about their team (think early novemberish) they get this twinkle of hatered in their eye and try to take everyone down with them. Every year a disproportionate percentage of them truely believe this year is the superbowl run and every year amazingly precedented tragedy. Kinda like when we all get hyped up for free agency and evey year we are dissapointed they aren't out spending like Washington. The difference is we get over it and they start drinking and don't stop till the next year's draft.

But... In my opinion fans tend to be a reflection of thier life outside of the NFL. You'd be pissed all the time too if you lived in Cleveland or Shittsburg.

Archived