Kid sent home for wearing steelers gear

http://www.katu.com/sports/professional/113614384.html

TACOMA, Wash. - A 13-year-old student at Tacoma's Truman Middle School just wanted to show his team spirit when he wore a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey to his school's Seahawks appreciation day on Friday.

But school administrators sent Grendon Bailie home, saying his choice of clothing was inappropriate - and that Seahawks shirts or colors were the only exception allowed outside the uniform school's normal strict dress code.

Now the seventh-grader says he feels it was unfair for the school to single him out for punishment, simply because he and his family are Steelers fans and not Seahawks fans.

"Not everyone is a Seahawks fan - and if they got to wear their team stuff then I should, too," Grendon said.

But the school district says Grendon and all other students were warned on Thursday that anyone who didn't want to wear Seahawks colors should wear their normal school uniform, which is limited to certain styles and colors of clothing.

In fact, Grendon admits that he specifically asked the school's vice principal the day before if he could wear his Steelers jersey, and was told he could not because it was Seahawks spirit day.

"This boy came in a different color, a different team, and he was asked, if he didn't want to participate in the Seahawks colors day, then he could wear his uniform," said Tacoma School District spokeswoman Stacy Flores.

Grendon's dad, Stoughton B. Bailie Sr., says his son and the whole family are die-hard Pittsburgh Steelers fans, and his son felt he should be able to show his team spirit like the other students at his school.

"I didn't force him to do it. I said I'd stand behind him if he wanted to do it, and this morning I gave him the choice," Stoughton says. "I said, 'What do you want to wear?' and he said, 'I'm wearing my Steelers stuff."

Grendon's dad also says he sent his son to school with a note explaining the boy's decision so he wouldn't get in trouble, but school officials refused to even read it.

"He was immediately told that he had to leave and change his clothes or face an in school suspension for the day," Stoughton said.

Grendon's dad picked him at the school after officials refused to let him attend classes in his Steelers regalia.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are facing the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC playoffs this weekend, and Grendon says he has no plans to watch the Seahawks-Bears game.

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1295059925' post='962088']
http://www.katu.com/sports/professional/113614384.html

TACOMA, Wash. - A 13-year-old student at Tacoma's Truman Middle School just wanted to show his team spirit when he wore a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey to his school's Seahawks appreciation day on Friday.

[/quote]

The little fucker should have been shot.

my middle school ran for one year a trial of having a strict dress code when i was in the 8th grade. but on the fridays before FSU football games you could wear FSU stuff and if you wore other teams crap you got sent home, which kind of sucked since i couldn't give two shits about FSU at the time so while i can relate to the steeler runt if you speciffically were told no by your principal then you have no room to complain when what the school's administration says will happen when you do not comply happens

This kinda reminds me of something that happened around 2009. However, at least Reader was allowed to continue his studies away from others instead of getting the boot.

[quote]Dustin Reader, an 8th grader, got the Bengals’ stripes and the letter “B” shaved into his haircut as a tribute to the team’s good fortune this season. When he arrived at school in the southwest Ohio city of Hamilton on Monday, school officials suspended him. The school is sticking to its code of conduct, which prohibits extreme and distracting hairstyles.

Reader’s parents (along with his barber) say they don’t see why the Bengals haircut warrants a penalty flag. His father said that Dustin is merely trying to show pride in his favorite team, who happen to be 6-2 so far this year.

School officials said he may continue with his studies away from other students until the Dustin Reader’s hair grows – or he changes the style.[/quote]

[img]http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/dustin-reader-bengals-haircut.jpg[/img]

What kind of punishment is being sent home in 2011? First, his inbred parents would side with him so he doesn't get in trouble. Instead of school he probably got the "poor kid" treatment and played Call of Duty or Madden all day on the XBOX or PS3.

What should have occurred was how things were properly done when I was in school. Kid goes to gym class, other kids promptly drag his ass to the toilet, insert head, flush. End of discussion. Things were so simple in my youth.

Not as bad as what happened in Pennsylvania.

[quote]Teacher has students throw paper at another kid

A die-hard Steelers fan and teacher at Beaver Falls High School made Vannoy, 17, take a midterm test on the floor because he was sporting a John Elway No. 7 jersey.

The honors ethnic relations teacher had Vannoy sit in a circle of desks, then instructed his classmates to throw paper at him.

The treatment wasn't part of any classroom lesson, his teacher says. He had warned students before not to wear another team's jersey in his classroom.

"I was humiliated and shaking. I couldn't finish my test," said Vannoy, a Broncos fan even though he's a native of Pittsburgh Steelers country.

Teacher John Kelly thought he was "just messing around" with Vannoy, telling him he couldn't sit at any desk in his class Friday.

Vannoy said Kelly grabbed him by the neck of his jersey when he tried to sit in his chair and told him he would give him a zero on the exam if he didn't sit on the floor. Kelly told the 12 other students that part of their midterm was that they had to throw paper at "the stinking Denver fan" - or lose points, he added.

"Some threw the paper at me, some threw it at the ground," Vannoy said.

Kelly said he didn't threaten Vannoy's grade or grab his shirt. He said that he told students to do those things but that nobody took it seriously.[/quote]

[quote]Seahawks shirts or colors were the only exception allowed outside the uniform school's normal strict dress code.[/quote]
Boy this is easy:

a - the school normally has their kids wear uniforms
b - they made a one time EXCLUSIVE exception for kids who wanted to wear Seahawks regalia

The kid in question violated school policy by not wearing clothes that were appropriate. If not in uniform, the only exception was Seahawks stuff. He did not wear Seahawks stuff, but he did not wear his uniform. Therefore he was not permitted to remain at school until he remedied the situation. The kid, whether wearing Steelers stuff, Bengals stuff, or US Flag stuff, was out of line. He wasn't picked on for being a Steelers fan, he was excused from school for violating the school's uniform policy.

End of story.

Archived