Donte Whitner agrees to a 2 year deal! Then he doesn't and signs with the $49ers

[quote name='mjm47' timestamp='1312237268' post='1009063']
When was the last time that Reedy was either wrong about something or didn't clearly know it long before it happened? I think that he's pretty good - not the best writer, but very reliable w/r/t information gathering & disseminating.
[/quote]
He is slow with info but Reedy is saying they are talking and Hobson is saying he is not even on the radar. So someone is way off base and that's not good.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1312232716' post='1009036']
I have to say I'm surprised the Bengals aren't going after Sensabaugh, as I believe he was drafted when Zim was in D.
[/quote]

I believe he was drafted by Jax... And Dallas picked him up after Zim was gone. Dallas' safeties blow chunks, and they didn't look to sign him back for this season. In fact, there was an article in the paper not that long ago, where he was quoted as saying that he'd be open to re-signing here. People thought it was funny.

Sorry, he sucks. Not interested.

Whitner will have other suitors without a doubt. He is a solid safety although he never lived up to his draft status. He is a sure tackler, good in run support, and fair to decent in coverage for a SS. He would be a definite upgrade in our secondary but either he doesn't really want to come here or MB won't pay the man. This team sucks ass in FA and that's a fact. With that said I doubt Whitner will break the bank anywhere but he's better than a Roy Williams or Ndukwe for sure.

[quote name='Jeff Blake' timestamp='1312238783' post='1009072']
Whitner will have other suitors without a doubt. He is a solid safety although he never lived up to his draft status. He is a sure tackler, good in run support, and fair to decent in coverage for a SS. He would be a definite upgrade in our secondary but either he doesn't really want to come here or MB won't pay the man. This team sucks ass in FA and that's a fact. With that said I doubt Whitner will break the bank anywhere but he's better than a Roy Williams or Ndukwe for sure.
[/quote]

You're probably right that he's better than a 30+ Roy Williams and Ndukwe, coming off of a bad injury. But neither guy is on the roster anyway.

Question is, is he an upgrade over Crocker, Reggie Nelson, and Gibril Wison... for what they'd have to pay him? I would prefer Elam or Goldson... I don't think they would cost as much,, both have more range than Whitner, and will tackle (Whitner does that, just isn't much in coverage).

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1312239816' post='1009076']
You're probably right that he's better than a 30+ Roy Williams and Ndukwe, coming off of a bad injury. But neither guy is on the roster anyway.

Question is, is he an upgrade over Crocker, Reggie Nelson, and Gibril Wison... for what they'd have to pay him? I would prefer Elam or Goldson... I don't think they would cost as much,, both have more range than Whitner, and will tackle (Whitner does that, just isn't much in coverage).
[/quote]

I don't expect Whitner is going to cost much. I bet he goes for a fraction the price of Goldson.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1312241162' post='1009084']
Nobody should cost "too much" at this point of free agency and with $50 mill available. Fuckin' soP stop being a cheap bastard!
[/quote]

I agree and I don't think anyone said any of these safeties would cost "too much."

My whole point was that I think a lot of Bengals fans are overestimating Whitner's value. Whether he signs here or elsewhere, I expect it to be something like 3 year, 7 million total. I've seen others here saying he's worth $5 million a year, going to cost way more than Goldson, etc. and I just don't think that will be the case.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1312237505' post='1009066']
He is slow with info but Reedy is saying they are talking and Hobson is saying he is not even on the radar. So someone is way off base and that's not good.
[/quote]

Hobson said that because nothing rhymes with Whitner.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1312241658' post='1009085']
I agree and I don't think anyone said any of these safeties would cost "too much."

My whole point was that I think a lot of Bengals fans are overestimating Whitner's value. Whether he signs here or elsewhere, I expect it to be something like 3 year, 7 million total. I've seen others here saying he's worth $5 million a year, going to cost way more than Goldson, etc. and I just don't think that will be the case.
[/quote]

Sorry, my rage wasn't at you, but don't tell you can't see soP scoffing even at that modest little deal you proposed.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312250066' post='1009161']
Hobson is wrong so often on basic issues of fact that I wouldn't take his word over Reedy or Clayton's. It sounds like they don't plan to sign Whitner and sent Hobson out to tamp down expectations.
[/quote]

Hobknob is keenly aware of the origin of his paycheck. He's not going to mess that up.

Clayton and Reedy both reported on the Bengals' interest in signing Whitner. Far more unbiased resources to believe compared to Hobson.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' timestamp='1312250429' post='1009167']
Hobknob is keenly aware of the origin of his paycheck. He's not going to mess that up.

Clayton and Reedy both reported on the Bengals' interest in signing Whitner. Far more unbiased resources to believe compared to Hobson.
[/quote]
[b]As Jamie B said in an earlier post I would have liked to have seen us sign Dawan Landry but the Jaguars signed him. He's a decent young player. We damn well should sign Whitner. Good, young player. We have a ton of cap space..We should sign him. That interest just disappeared after reedy said we were 95% sure of signing him is baffling..[/b]

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1312241121' post='1009083']
I don't expect Whitner is going to cost much. I bet he goes for a fraction the price of Goldson.
[/quote]

Reportedly, he was looking for $8m. He won't get it, but still.

His agent is Tom Condon, who is a very tough negotiator. The Bengals have had some battles with his clients... I believe Pollack was one.

So, has Reedy, Hobson, or Clayton come out with anything about the other being off base? 95% chance from Reedy last night ofthis thing getting done. Hobson mentioned it in his early morning post, saying the two sides were not close, then he says he never heard the rumor?????!!?!?!?!

Anyone able to tweet Reedy and get this figured out?

Or, will we be seeing a PFT, ESPN or other headline "WHITNER TO CLEVELAND"

[quote name='Duke Nukem' timestamp='1312252834' post='1009187']
So, has Reedy, Hobson, or Clayton come out with anything about the other being off base? 95% chance from Reedy last night ofthis thing getting done. Hobson mentioned it in his early morning post, saying the two sides were not close, then he says he never heard the rumor?????!!?!?!?!

[/quote]
[b]The Brownies need a starting CB after losing Eric Wright to the Lions[/b]

[quote name='Duke Nukem' timestamp='1312252834' post='1009187']

[/quote]

Someone did a few hours ago and Reedy said there nothing to update.

Given that vet FAs won't be able to practice until Thursday, I suspect that some of these signings may drag out a day or two. Whitner isn't the only S out there, and as you indicate I'm sure that other teams are in the hunt for Whitner, Abram Elam, Dashon Goldson, Brodney Pool, and a few others.

Archived