Bengals Signing Picks (only Brandon Thompson remains unsigned)

[b]Bengals[/b]

The Bengals today signed CB Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama, their first selection (17th overall) in the 2012 draft.

“It’s great for the club and great for Dre to have him signed this early,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Contracts can be a distraction for young guys drafted high, but now he can put all that behind him and focus on making himself better and making us a better team.”

A multiple first-team 2011 All-America selection, Kirkpatrick last year helped lead Alabama to its second BCS national championship in his three years at the school. He proved himself throughout his career as a confident defender who can physically outperform receivers and play tough against the run.

“Dre was the tallest (6-2) of the top corners in the draft, and with all the big receivers in the league right now, we see that as an extra advantage for us,” said Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. “He does a great job at the line of scrimmage. He’s been coached hard with a national championship team, so we really like his pedigree.”

Kirkpatrick’s signing is the earliest by a top Bengals draft pick since 2003, when Cincinnati sealed a deal on April 24 with QB Carson Palmer, the top overall selection in that draft.

“Like Coach (Lewis) says, it’s just great to have this part done,” Kirkpatrick said. “I’m happy to officially be a Bengal, and I’m going to be the best player I can be for the team and our fans.”

The Bengals have now signed six of the team’s 10 choices from the draft. Also signed are DT Devon Still of Penn State (second round), TE Orson Charles of Georgia (fourth), CB Shaun Prater of Iowa (fifth), WR Marvin Jones of California (fifth) and S George Iloka of Boise State (fifth).

Read more: [url="http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1vEz1GCJS"]http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1vEz1GCJS[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1337360117' post='1131415']

When Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick signed his deal Friday, it marked the first time since 2003 that the Bengals' No. 1 pick was in the fold before he went on the field for the voluntary workouts with the veterans.

USC quarterback Carson Palmer, the overall No. 1 pick in '03, reached a pre-draft deal with the Bengals so he was signed even at the rookie minicamp.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-make-quick-work-of-Kirkpatrick-deal/c4f5b49d-0890-4e49-a3f0-7a6e3af1c8c4"]http://www.bengals.c...f0-7a6e3af1c8c4[/url]
[/quote]

Oh the irony.

[b] [size=6]Bengals sign Dre Kirkpatrick[/size][/b]

After a relatively quiet week, the Bengals got one piece of major business out of the way with the signing of one of their two first-round picks.

The club has signed cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who was the 17th overall selection, to a four-year deal worth $8.6 million with $7.84 million fully guaranteed.

“It is a big relief,” said Kirkpatrick of getting the contract done. “It’s a new beginning and new steps for me.”

Kirkpatrick’s signing is the earliest by a Bengals first-round pick since 2003, when Carson Palmer, the top overall selection, signed his contract on April 24, which was two days before the draft.

After the Jets agreed to terms with Quinton Coples Thursday night, who was selected one pick before Kirkpatrick, the deal with the former Alabama standout was expected to fall into place. With Kirkpatrick in the fold, the Bengals now have six of their 10 picks under contract.

“It’s great for the club and great for Dre to have him signed this early,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a statement. “Contracts can be a distraction for young guys drafted high, but now he can put all that behind him and focus on making himself better and making us a better team.”

Following last weekend’s rookie minicamp, Kirkpatrick remained in town and has been working with the rest of the defensive backs. He has also been studying film with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and defensive backs coaches Mark Carrier and Hue Jackson.

“It’s been going great,” said Kirkpatrick of the past week. “I’m learning technique of the off man since we didn’t play that much at Alabama. Just being around some of the veterans like Terence Newman has helped me out with some of the small things. I’m trying to learn as much as I can by watching the veterans.”

Last year’s first-round pick at 17, New England’s Nate Solder, got a four-year deal worth $8.54 million. In 2010, the last year before the rookie system was put in place, San Francisco’s Mike Iupati signed a five-year deal worth $18.25 million with $10.8 million guaranteed.

To show how much the rookie salary system has changed contract negotiations, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tweeted earlier Friday that 147 of the 253 drafted players had been signed. In previous years the most that had been signed by the end of May was 25 in 2007.

As Aiello also noted, the late Giants general manager George Young’s line about rookie negotiations not getting serious until after Bastille Day is a thing of the past. Now all but a few deals should be completed by July 14.

While there are some who might gripe about the new system, one who isn’t is Kirkpatrick who noted – “We haven’t played a down in the NFL. They are making us earn our money.”

The remaining unsigned Bengals draft picks are first-round offensive guard Kevin Zeitler, third-round wide receiver Mohamed Sanu, third-round defensive tackle Brandon Thompson and sixth-round running back Dan "Boom" Herron.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120518/SPT02/305190007/Bengals-sign-Dre-Kirkpatrick?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals"]http://news.cincinna...ws|text|Bengals[/url]

[b] [size=6]Bengals sign 1st-round pick Kirkpatrick[/size][/b]

•By: Ian Preuth

CINCINNATI - The Bengals on Friday announced the signing of cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, the team's first-round draft pick out of Alabama.

Cincinnati took Kirkpatrick, rated by many as the number one or two cornerback in the draft, with the 17th overall pick they acquired in the Carson Palmer trade.

Getting Kirkpatrick signed is a big bonus for the Bengals, who may plug him into one of the starting cornerback roles. Kirkpatrick, a multiple first-team 2011 All-America selection, helped the Crimson Tide win its second BCS national championship in the past three years last season.

“Dre was the tallest (6-2) of the top corners in the draft, and with all the big receivers in the league right now, we see that as an extra advantage for us,” said Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. “He does a great job at the line of scrimmage. He’s been coached hard with a national championship team, so we really like his pedigree.”

“It’s great for the club and great for Dre to have him signed this early,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Contracts can be a distraction for young guys drafted high, but now he can put all that behind him and focus on making himself better and making us a better team.”

If there's one thing that's good about the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), it's that fans will not have to worry about their team's draft picks holding out. The blockbuster contracts for the early draft picks that affected other teams are a thing of the past. This is the earliest a Bengals top draft selection has signed since 2003 when Cincinnati took Palmer with the first overall pick.

“Like Coach (Lewis) says, it’s just great to have this part done,” Kirkpatrick said. “I’m happy to officially be a Bengal, and I’m going to be the best player I can be for the team and our fans.”

The Bengals have now signed six of the team’s 10 choices from last month's draft. Also signed are DT Devon Still of Penn State (second round), TE Orson Charles of Georgia (fourth), CB Shaun Prater of Iowa (fifth), WR Marvin Jones of California (fifth) and S George Iloka of Boise State (fifth).

Cincinnati's other first-round pick, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler, remains un-signed. However, more signings could take place when OTAs (organized team activities) begin Tuesday.

Read more: [url="http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/football/bengals/bengals-sign-1st-round-pick-kirkpatrick#ixzz1vJmyypXv"]http://www.wcpo.com/...k#ixzz1vJmyypXv[/url]

[b] [size=6]Bengals sign CB Dre Kirkpatrick[/size][/b]

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals signed cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama to a four-year contract on Friday, the first time in nine years they've reached a deal so quickly with their top pick.

Agent Brian Overstreet told ESPN's Josina Anderson that Kirkpatrick received a four-year, $8.6 million max deal. Overstreet said $7.84 million was guaranteed on Kirkpatrick's deal.

Kirkpatrick was the first of Cincinnati's two picks in the opening round, going 17th overall. He's expected to compete for a starting job. Leon Hall, the Bengals' top cornerback, is recovering from a torn Achilles tendon and is expected to be ready for the season.

It's the second year in a row that the Bengals have signed their top pick before the start of training camp. The club had a history of holdouts until a rookie salary cap was instituted under the new collective bargaining agreement last year.

Receiver A.J. Green, the club's first-round pick in 2011, signed a day before training camp opened.

Kirkpatrick's signing is the quickest by a first-round Bengals pick since 2003, when the club reached an agreement with quarterback Carson Palmer before the draft. The Bengals were free to negotiate with Palmer because they had the top overall pick.

"It's great for the club and great for Dre to have him signed this early," coach Marvin Lewis said. "Contracts can be a distraction for young guys drafted high, but now he can put all that behind him and focus on making himself better and making us a better team."

The Bengals traded Palmer to Oakland during last season in exchange for a couple of draft picks, including the 17th overall choice that they used on Kirkpatrick. They used their own pick to get Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler, who hasn't yet signed.

Cincinnati now has six of its 10 picks under contract.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7946224/cincinnati-bengals-sign-rookie-cb-dre-kirkpatrick-max-deal

Sorry if this has been covered, but what's the hangup with Zeitler? I thought I read something about his graduation date being later than most but I think that was just in reference to the OTA's, doubt that would matter with the contractual stuff.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1337526302' post='1131602']
Sorry if this has been covered, but what's the hangup with Zeitler? I thought I read something about his graduation date being later than most but I think that was just in reference to the OTA's, doubt that would matter with the contractual stuff.
[/quote]

just a matter of agents holding out to see what others got so that they can maximize the value of the contract. There's not a lot of wiggle room money wise anymore, but there's still some.

It's not a surprise that Kirkpatrick (#17) signed less than a day after Coples (#16) did.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1337527059' post='1131605']
just a matter of agents holding out to see what others got so that they can maximize the value of the contract. There's not a lot of wiggle room money wise anymore, but there's still some.

It's not a surprise that Kirkpatrick #17 signed less than a day after Coples (#16) did.
[/quote]

The biggest "wiggle" now is how much of the money is guaranteed.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1337537066' post='1131634']
Isn't there also something like the first 21 picks last year got all four years guaranteed, but after 21 it changes?
[/quote]

I don't think so. I think every first rounder now gets a four year contract with an option (not sure if its club or player) for a 5th year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1337549172' post='1131655']
I don't think so. I think every first rounder now gets a four year contract with an option (not sure if its club or player) for a 5th year.
[/quote]

That's true but as Ken said the difference between the various first rounders is not only the slotted salary but how much of the contract is fully guaranteed. Agents got each of the first 21 players taken last year fully guaranteed 4 year deals. The agents will continue to try to push the full guarantees later into the first round with Weeden being likely to get all 4 years guaranteed. Clubs hold an option on a 5th year for all rookies. The top 10 options are the transition player amount (average of 10 highest paid players at their position) while the rest are the average the 3rd through 25th highest paid players at the position.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1337549172' post='1131655']
[/quote]

Why would a rookie want a 5th year option on his rookie contract?

That deal seems to benefit the team more than the player.

It seems to me the first veteran contract is where a player will cash in.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1337606850' post='1131742']
Why would a rookie want a 5th year option on his rookie contract?

That deal seems to benefit the team more than the player.

It seems to me the first veteran contract is where a player will cash in.
[/quote]

At least for first round picks, the option is basically equivalent to a franchise or transition tag salary, depending on where you get drafted.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337607708' post='1131744']
At least for first round picks, the option is basically equivalent to a franchise or transition tag salary, depending on where you get drafted.
[/quote]...that makes more sense now.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337607708' post='1131744']
[/quote]

It's great for teams, especially for guys outside the top 10. I think if its a guy in the top 10, its an average of the 3rd-10th highest contracts at his position. So for example after AJ Green's 4th year here (2014), we can retain him for 2015 at the average salary of the top 10 WRs (not counting the top 2 contracts, so for example if Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitz are the highest paid, their contracts don't count).

Where it is a really great deal though is for the guys outside the top 10. I'm pretty sure its then the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid at their position. So for Zeitler, in 2016, we should be able to keep him for that one extra year pretty cheap because there aren't that many guards making big dollars and that average should be pretty reasonable.

It's also just a nice bargaining chip for teams in negotiating extensions because guys know it is one year longer until they would be unrestricted FAs. It also allows you to use the franchise tag on a guy in his 6th year at a reasonable cost, again restricting access to free agency and providing even more incentive for the player to sign an extension.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1337608817' post='1131749']
So for Zeitler, in 2016, we should be able to keep him for that one extra year pretty cheap because there aren't that many guards making big dollars and that average should be pretty reasonable.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that if you use a franchise tag on a guard, the salary is based off of all linemen, so while you might not have guards making big money, left tackles are also figured in. Don't know if the same applies here but I assume it would.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1337610215' post='1131757']
I'm pretty sure that if you use a franchise tag on a guard, [b]the salary is based off of all linemen[/b], so while you might not have guards making big money, left tackles are also figured in. Don't know if the same applies here but I assume it would.
[/quote]

I know that's how it works for the actual tag. I assume it's the same for the option year, but I'm not 100% sure of it.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1337610215' post='1131757']
I'm pretty sure that if you use a franchise tag on a guard, the salary is based off of all linemen, so while you might not have guards making big money, left tackles are also figured in. Don't know if the same applies here but I assume it would.
[/quote]

Great point. I did a quick google search and it looks like you are correct. The potential savings on that fifth year option for Zeitler is probably minimal unless he's a Pro Bowl type lineman. I found some estimates and it looks like the 5th year option on Zeitler is probably going to be in the 7-8 million range because you're averaging contracts of the the top 25 OL, not top 25 interior OL. It's still about a $5 million savings vs. what it would cost to use the franchise tag on him.

But that quirk that doesn't separate the interior OL from the OTs definitely hurts the value of that option year on a late 1st round OG.

Archived