Jay Glazer Reports Chad Released by Dolphins

USN Bengal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/12/report-dolphins-cut-chad-johnson/

[b] Dolphins cut Chad Johnson[/b]

Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/2003892799-e1344817968265.jpg?w=172[/img] Getty Images
Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Receiver Chad Johnson’s stint with the Dolphins has ended. A league source tells PFT that the Dolphins have decided to cut the veteran wideout.
The news was first reported by Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.
It didn’t happen because of poor performance (although based on Johnson’s performance in the preseason opener it may have, eventually). It happened because Johnson was arrested on Saturday night for head-butting the woman he married nearly a month ago.

Click link for full article...

Not too surprising. He dropped a bunch of passes in their first preseason game and then committed domestic violence because he can't keep it in his pants. You reap what you sow. His wife will probably divorce his ass and take half of whatever he has left as a consequence and we will see Chad hawking ShamWows on late night TV. Such is the world.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1344820086' post='1145610']
Well, I definitely won't be watching Hard Knocks now.

I probably wasn't going to anyway.
[/quote]

I'd like to see the episode that shows the decision to cut him. I haven't watched the show since the bengals were on it.

What a douche bag...I really wanted chad to succeed somewhere and retire here eventually. Such a shame to see what became of such a talented and dedicated football player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/12/chad-johnson-was-on-a-one-strike-arrangement/

The quick decision of the Dolphins to [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/12/report-dolphins-cut-chad-johnson/"]part ways with receiver Chad Johnson[/url] suggests that the team didn’t believe his version of the events that resulted in Johnson being arrested on Saturday night for head-butting his bride. Whether they believed him or not didn’t matter.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Johnson was on a one-strike arrangement with the team.

Click link for full article...

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1344833846' post='1145664']
This is not meant to be a joke, but I would put him on suicide watch. The guy has always had the mental level of an adolescent and this might be the first real time he has faced adversity in years.
[/quote]I would tend to agree with this line of thought. Especially, if his wife leaves him and he has no other NFL offers.

[b] [size=6]Dansby not happy with Dolphins’ decision to dump Chad Johnson[/size][/b]

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

By getting rid of a distraction, the Dolphins may have created an even bigger one.

Middle linebacker [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2663/karlos-dansby"]Karlos Dansby[/url], appearing on 640 Sports in Ft. Lauderdale with Sid Rosenberg, said that the leader of the team’s defense disagrees with the decision to cut receiver Chad Johnson loose.

“It’s going to be a bigger distraction because we let him go,” Dansby said[i],[/i] via excerpts of the show disseminated by 640 Sports. “He didn’t get that third strike. That’s just me personally. . . . We’ve been through worse. We’ve seen worse.”

But Johnson was on a [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/12/chad-johnson-was-on-a-one-strike-arrangement/"]one-strike arrangement[/url]. And it sounds like the coaching staff and/or front office didn’t do a good enough job explaining that to the team leaders when Johnson was signed.

Even if the players knew or should have known that Chad was in danger of being dumped if he made only one mistake, Dansby isn’t buying that Chad head-butted his wife.
“That’s not Chad,” Dansby said. “If anybody knows Chad, that’s not Chad.”

Dansby specifically said he’s “upset” that Chad was cut. “The man don’t drink, the man don’t smoke,” Dansby said. “He may clown around but when it comes to football, he’s all about football. That’s his life. For him to be in this situation, that’s unfortunate. And it’s out of character.”

That said, Dansby acknowledged that the front office likely has more information than the players regarding the situation. Still, he said it’s “tough to lose a good man.” And Dansby added that he believes he speaks for the entire team.

We realize that, when it comes to whether or not someone will go to jail, the person is innocent until proven guilty. When it comes to employment — especially in a high-profile industry that counts on members of the public to devote their money and/or their time to the endeavor — merely getting arrested (even if the charges are false) could be enough to get a guy fired.
Especially when the guy came to town with enough baggage to make the employer leery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/dansby-not-happy-with-dolphins-decision-to-dump-chad-johnson/

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1344820086' post='1145610']
Well, I definitely won't be watching Hard Knocks now.

I probably wasn't going to anyway.
[/quote]

honestly, I bet this week's episode is one of the highest rated Hard Knocks episodes ever.

They may not show it, but you know that Hard Knocks was most certainly following Chad on a Saturday night during training camp.

People will tune in to see what is said about it and the reaction from coaches when they found out about it.

They keep talking about all this "baggage" that Chad brought with him, and how he was on a 1 strike deal with Miami who was wary... I don't really get it though. Aside from wanting out of Cincinnati and his self promotion I don't see it. He seemed perfectly behaved in New England, has never been in trouble with the law, and apparently was popular in the locker room in Miami..

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1344897085' post='1145885']
They keep talking about all this "baggage" that Chad brought with him, and how he was on a 1 strike deal with Miami who was wary... I don't really get it though. Aside from wanting out of Cincinnati and his self promotion I don't see it. He seemed perfectly behaved in New England, has never been in trouble with the law, and apparently was popular in the locker room in Miami..
[/quote]

I'd include inability to learn New England's offense, league fines, diminished production, and stuff like that to the loose term of baggage.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1344897477' post='1145886']
I'd include inability to learn New England's offense, league fines, diminished production, and stuff like that to the loose term of baggage.
[/quote]

But he wasn't released for diminished production, or doing celebrations. He was released because he was accused of something which hasn't even had a chance to play itself out. This is the first time he has been in legal trouble his entire career, and it came out of a domestic dispute, which are some of the most convoluted situations possible.. I would never defend striking a woman, but I know from experience things can be more complicated than just hitting someone.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1344898792' post='1145895']
But he wasn't released for diminished production, or doing celebrations. He was released because he was accused of something which hasn't even had a chance to play itself out. This is the first time he has been in legal trouble his entire career, and it came out of a domestic dispute, which are some of the most convoluted situations possible.. I would never defend striking a woman, but I know from experience things can be more complicated than just hitting someone.
[/quote]

going to disagree, thats what the media is saying, but his peroduction was pretty poor thus far in the preseason as well. if he had been a great locker room presence and had 2 TD's in the preseason game i would be willing to wager he would still be employed.

but if you are a clown in practice, in the locker room, and cant produce... then tack on a shithead off the field getting negative publicity to ateam trying to rebuild... you are an easy cut..

Archived