The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Cleveland Browns Game 1

In terms of good, bad, ugly...

Good-
The skill position guys: AJ, Binns, Tate, BJGE and Andy all played very well
Nugent- pretty automatic and made a huge pressure kick at the end of the game that iced it
Special teams in general, coverage was good and the Pacman return was a game changer

Bad-
The O line was pretty mediocre. Not much push in the run game in the 1st half (though much better in the 2nd) and a bit too much pressure on Andy.
The front 7 on D wasn't terrible, but wasn't great. Not enough pressure and some missed tackles on Richardson (who is a beast).

Ugly-
The secondary. Seemed like guys were open almost every passing play. Weeden put up great numbers and it could have been much worse. He missed some wide open guys.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1347838455' post='1159367']
What's wrong with our LBs? Odell and Rivers that's what.
[/quote]

We also miss Howard. Our best LB in my opinion.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1347838930' post='1159376']

Neither was Odell, and Rivers shouldn't have been.
[/quote]
Rivers was certainly playing like one until Whines Hard took his head off. Odell was a beast until the bottle ended his NFL career.Add Brooks to the mix and Burfect and you have a nice LB group. Jojo would have helped too.

I'm confused, did the Bengals win or lose?

Just because the secondary played bad, the LBers played bad, there was no pass rush, the Run defense was bad, the pass defense was bad, the o-line couldn't run block, the o-line couldn't pass block, and Andy Dalton should probably be in an ER somewhere, things weren't all bad. Hey Dalton had a career high 3TD's and the Special Teams played well. Everybody knows special teams win championships. Vinatari won how many Super Bowls for the Pats?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1347843460' post='1159408']
Maybe Gruden's offense doesn't call for a ton of TE reads? Maybe it did last year because of how young the offense was (in terms of its evolution).

Gruden wasn't here when we drafted Gresham... something to remember.
[/quote]

its probably a combo of things. Playcalling, Gresham, and Dalton. DIdn't pay attention this week (and forgot to tape the game), but Gresham was open probably at least 20 times last week, but only got 8 targets. That happens when you have Dalton spreading the ball around the way he is.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1347843460' post='1159408']
Maybe Gruden's offense doesn't call for a ton of TE reads? Maybe it did last year because of how young the offense was (in terms of its evolution).

Gruden wasn't here when we drafted Gresham... something to remember.
[/quote]

You bring up a good point...I just looked at the Bucs teams from 2002-2008 when Jon Gruden was there. No TE went over 400 yards in any of those seasons.

Now they might not have had any talented TEs like Gresham, but it does seem like we use Gresh to block a lot more then most TEs in the NFL do...

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1347836197' post='1159349']
Agreed. Definitely noticed the same. I wonder if getting absolutely drilled last week has scattered him a little bit...

Edit: On second glance, while Andy has the highest QB rating so far today, he also was sacked THREE TIMES MORE than any other qb (for a total of 6 sacks). Yikes.
[/quote]

A lot of those sacks were after he pulled the ball down and was trying to scramble. Some of those he could have just heaved OOB, and quite a few were losses of just a couple.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1347844179' post='1159417']
Ugly in general is our LB coverage skills...I dont think we have one LB that Id consider above average (or maybe even average) at pass coverage. RBs and TEs will beat us up all season unless we find a way to get a lot more pressure.
[/quote]

They had one coverage LB who was well above average, but he's gone for the year. Now, you're right. Vinny Rey and Manny have speed, and Burfict has good instincts - so they have potential - but the rest of them definitely struggle. It's a big concern, but as you say, a strong pass rush can help mask things.

Pollock and ODell were drafted 7 years ago... they cant continually be used as a scapegoat. Thats a LONG time in NFL roster turnover years.

The team just hasn't put too much stock in seriously upgrading its LB play- and has missed on its attempts in the past 5 years (Rivers should have been an undrafted FA and Rey plays like a 4-5 rounder)...

GOOD Binns, Hawk, BJGE, Andy all looked good. Tate and Green too.

BAD Andy needs to throw the damn ball away. 3 of those sacks were easy throw aways.
Defense having a hard time getting turnovers.

UGLY Defense, all the way around is ugly. Probably the worst two defensive games I can remember seeing in Marvins tenure. Just terrible. How does that happen over one offseason?

Someone needs to post the tweet by Gresham where he said he was going to "dive into a swimming pool" and then a follower tweeted him back...

Anyone else see it? They told him to dive into the play book and find out why he didn't get open today. Hahaha. He told them "god bless you too". I found it hilarious.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1347827606' post='1159265']
The Good
Baby Hawks was going to be in the bad for not being involved, but damn that TD catch was awesome
Spread the ball around to a number of guys, eventually this is going to pay off for AJ when they cant necessarily double him
The Law Firm. Just a blue collar runner.
Oline - other than a few plays they are still holding up

The Bad
What happened to this D?
No pass rush
Cant defend the run.
Andy's deep ball, just isnt accurate

The Ugly
Rey Malaluga, stop defending him
[/quote]

This is the truth. I would put the DBs in the ugly and the coordinators. We just don't outthink anyone.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1347834922' post='1159343']
Funny, but I've been looking into next year's draft since the game. Pretty clear that we have a bunch of needs. (yeah, yeah, so early in the season. But there are a bunch of draftniks on here and I'd love to hear there thoughts after each weeks game).

I think our O-line will continue to improve/gel, so ASSUMING we resign our own, we're good there. DJ Fluker from Alabama would be an outstanding at because he can play every position on the line, but is focusing on C this year.

Our WR's will improve, and as much as I'd love to have a superstar opposite AJ to take pressure off of him, I think our guys will be super solid by year's end.

TE - I'm expecting Orson Charles to improve, but following last year's philosophy, to add competition at every position, we could have a shot at Tyler Eiffert, Norte Dame, at the top of the 2nd with Oakland's pick (they got hammered by Miami today so...).

RB - BJGE looks great and is definitely adequate. Need a good home run hitter though. Other than having Lattimore staring at us in the first, I think we can wait until the 2nd or 3rd for someone to split with the Law Firm, or even later for a speed back.

Defense. This is where we need help, unfortunately.

The big question for me is corner. Do we have faith that Kirkpatrick will blossom, Ghee will stay healthy, and Allen will finally fill in? I don't think we can really depend on Hall, Clements, or Newman as long term solutions. The position is just too important in this league to overlook, and you get the best talent high.

Safety. I think Reggie Nelson is solid, and Miles remains a question, but we have nothing beyond that (Mays getting benched after the first game tells everything). So this is a HUGE NEED.

DT. We are set, they just need some time for the new guys to grow.

DE. Definitely need an upgrade. Michael Johnson just never really gets there, but certainly isn't the dominant presence we want. Dunlap is hurt too much. There's no one else. I say this is our first round pick. Need a dominant pass rusher to go opposite Dunlap (if he can get on the field). At least a good rotation.

LB. Our other obvious need. I'm going to assume that Burfict takes over the MLB before long. Certainly by next season. It's his natural position and he's been talked as a 1st rounder before he flamed out, so I'm happy to roll with him. But with Howard going down, and Manny Lawson's ambivalence - and our overall bad LB play so far this year, I think we need to draft TWO new LB's. Good value here for rounds 2-4.
[/quote]

If there is an Earl Thomas I go him. We dont have one true playmaker on D. not one.

QB-OK to above average.
RB-Slot back
FB-OK
WR-Solid
Exterior OL-Solid
Interior OL-Depth Week

DE-Need more playmakers
DT-Solid
S-Awful
MLB-Awful
OLB-Below average
CB-Average

You have to resign Andre Smith and there are literally 0 other must resign UFAs. Get some playmakers on D. You can't even blame Zimmer here. There is just 0 talent.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1347832006' post='1159337']
OK ,here's my Bengals wish list for next years draft,based on what I saw today.
1.montee ball rb ,Ellis is good but Bernard Scott needs to be replaced
2.bacarri rambo s ,like the name
2.Alex okafor de/olb, just don't like Jamaal Anderson
3.Leon McFadden cb,he can cover and hit
[/quote]

I love you but I cant disagree more. Montee Ball is too similar to Ellis...and Ellis is a stud IMO. We need a 2nd to 3rd round scat back if Scott truly needs to be replaced
Rambo got kicked off the teamf or a bit didn't he.

Resign Fanene.

For those complaining on Dalton "holding onto the ball too long"...that is a double-edged sword. For one thing, he did the same thing in staying alive on the TD to Hawkins.

As for the rest of it, three of those times he pulled it down, he ended up with a sack of around 3 yards or less, so its not like it was killing them. Finally, the really good qbs keep a certain percentage of plays alive in the pocket, and I am glad to see Dalton erring on that side, frankly. Still a growing process with him, but the complaining about his day yesterday from some on here when it was was his best ever statistical day at qb is kinda amusing...

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1347882153' post='1159480']
For those complaining on Dalton "holding onto the ball too long"...that is a double-edged sword. For one thing, he did the same thing in staying alive on the TD to Hawkins.

As for the rest of it, three of those times he pulled it down, he ended up with a sack of around 3 yards or less, so its not like it was killing them. Finally, the really good qbs keep a certain percentage of plays alive in the pocket, and I am glad to see Dalton erring on that side, frankly. Still a growing process with him, but the complaining about his day yesterday from some on here when it was was his best ever statistical day at qb is kinda amusing...
[/quote]

I don't mind him holding on to it, but he needs to do a better job of knowing when to scramble. It was a strength of his last year so I'm sure it will get worked out.

Archived