The Ugly, The Ugly, and the The Ugly.

It's hard to really grasp just how inept the Bengals offense was against Houston. 6 points. Less than 200 total yards. Only possessed the ball for 21 minutes and 11 seconds. Zero for 9 on third downs (and 0-1 on fourth downs). AJ Green doesn't have a pass thrown in his direction until the 3rd quarter. I think it's too easy to place the blame on Dalton and/or Gruden. Just about everybody contributed to this shit show. Dalton missed open receivers. Gresham continued to struggle with drops. Hawkins and Jones had trouble getting open. The o-line (especially Cook) had breakdowns in protection. They never established any rhythm all day except for maybe one or two drives. It's really unfortunate the offense had its worst game of the year when the defense came through even though they were on the field for nearly 40 minutes. They held Houston to four field goals to keep them in the game and scored the team's only touchdown. It was a gutsy performance, but certainly not their best of the year. Foster gashed them in the running game and Houston's TE group also played very well and were tough to stop all day. Houston out-gained the Bengals by over 200 yards and only won by six.

watching some highlights, and john thornton alluded to it in pregame, the Bengals D line was playing off the line of scrimmage to try and avoid cut blocks, and IMO it helped to totally kill the pass rush. Poor job by the coaches to not ditch that scheme. It ended up giving the Houston Oline such an advantage.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357532529' post='1205784']
watching some highlights, and john thornton alluded to it in pregame, the Bengals D line was playing off the line of scrimmage to try and avoid cut blocks, and IMO it helped to totally kill the pass rush. Poor job by the coaches to not ditch that scheme. It ended up giving the Houston Oline such an advantage.
[/quote]

I think that was because Houston uses effective play action. I've been harping on it for years, good play action forces the opposing D to hold back just a little.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1357540830' post='1205818']
Maybe that had something to do with the offensive line being shit for all but 4-5 games all season?
[/quote]

I dont agree it was all Oline. There were a number of times that the Oline opened things this year that a faster back would have broken for many more yards.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1357558146' post='1205824']
Lol it always o-lines fault.
[/quote]

I'm not going to completely dismiss that either, I do think the Robinson move was somewhat of a mistake but I understand why they did it with Cook having experience against the 3/4 and us not having wiggle room for Robinson to learn it I also agree that Zeitler and Boling seemed to have hit the Rookie/1st year starting wall.

However I completely agree with whomever the announcer was a few weeks ago that said BJGE is a back that will only get you what the guys in front of him blocking allow, nothing more. Which to some extent is every back but some backs have the ability to do more with less in terms of smaller holes because they have speed that he doesnt, and I dont just want to get a change of pace back to "complement him" I want a feature back that he can complement.

Block 10 bjge gets you 10. He is a solid back but they need more explosion and a pass catcher to compliment.

As for the o-line there is just too many positives written by independent people for people to blindly throw it at their feet.

You want to improve this offense?

Explosive back, better QB play, experience in passing game for WR. Interior line experience.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1357544035' post='1205820']
I think that was because Houston uses effective play action. I've been harping on it for years, good play action forces the opposing D to hold back just a little.
[/quote]

it didn't work, and hurt the pass rush in the process. They seemed at least 6 inches farther off than usual from the plays I saw.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/JohnThornton"][b]JohnThornton[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]JohnThornton[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Look to see if [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] DL lines back off ball few inches 2 allow time to react to cut blocks, cutback runs of Foster. Stayin on feet is key[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1357558829' post='1205825']
I'm not going to completely dismiss that either, I do think the Robinson move was somewhat of a mistake
[/quote]

If by "somewhat of a mistake" you mean an asinine move that predictably ended in disaster, then yes. Totally fucked the offense right when they were starting to turn it on. Just an unbelievably stupid decision and a terrible message to send to a young team. Benching Robinson was inexcusable. Alexander may be a great o-line coach but he has no business being an "assistant head coach". Just another Mike Brown holdout. Too many chefs..

We need a RB that has potential to take the ball to the house no matter where he is on the field. Doesn't mean Bjge can't be the starter and main back next year but we need some sort of threat to get 10-15 touches a game that hopefully can turn into the starter in 2014 or 2015.

See lesean McCoy.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1357575059' post='1205899']
If by "somewhat of a mistake" you mean an asinine move that predictably ended in disaster, then yes. Totally fucked the offense right when they were starting to turn it on. Just an unbelievably stupid decision and a terrible message to send to a young team. Benching Robinson was inexcusable. Alexander may be a great o-line coach but he has no business being an "assistant head coach". Just another Mike Brown holdout. Too many chefs..
[/quote]

No by somewhat of a mistake I mean your talking about keeping a undrafted rookie FA in to play against the best D in the league and a 3/4 D with a HOF Dcoord that loves to confuse the young guys vs letting your original starting center who has played against that D before and had success against it. Where I am talking the mistake was to continue to make him the starter when we went back to playing 4/3s. Had we had wiggle room to take a loss I might have continued with Robinson against the steelers. We didnt.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1357576143' post='1205913']
You might be the only person in the world that wouldn't want an explosive RB on their football team.
[/quote]

You're not the only person who wants a scatback that's on IR by game 3 every season.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1357584370' post='1206007']

You're not the only person who wants a scatback that's on IR by game 3 every season.
[/quote]
What are you talking about?

I've said over and over that I want a lesean McCoy type. A fast guy that can come in right away and be a change of pace back, a guy that can catch out of the backfield and a guy that could potentially take over as starter by 2014 or 2015.

I want a guy that can make game changing plays to compliment BjgE. Guys like that can be had in the second round just like McCoy and rice etc.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357589965' post='1206051']
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning offense with our first pick. Clearly we need more weapons, be it a WR or RB. I just feel all the guys on defense we would take at 21 could still be there at 35.
[/quote]

Fuck that, if they go offense in the 1st round I want OL. There is ZERO depth anywhere on the line and although it's likely they tag Andre, keeping him long-term is far from certain. Even if they do, Whitworth isn't getting any younger and we're one injury away from Dennis fuckin' Roland. It's high time they make the OL a priority instead of waiting to try and patch it up with duct tape and crossed fingers.

I don't see the sense in dropping a 2nd-round pick on a "change of pace" back. In fact I think "change of pace" is ridiculous as it amounts to a RB that isn't considered well-rounded enough to start... but if they are going to draft someone who's not even expected to be on the field that much BY DESIGN, it should be in the later rounds. Personally I would prefer RB's who are all either potential starters or capable every-down backups at worst, but apparently fans are enamored with backs that break a 50+ yard touchdown once a season no matter how little they contribute overall. Like I said before, if you want a WR at RB, line Sanu or Hawkins up in the backfield. You know who was a "home run threat"? Adam Dunn. Couldn't run bases or play his position for shit, but he sure did hit home runs! It's the same mentality IMO.

I would be just fine with BJGE, Peerman, and Herron going into next year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1357591820' post='1206066']
Oline isnt a priority? Didnt we just use a 1st round pick on an Olinemen this year?
[/quote]

Yeah, after we lost BOTH starting guards. Luckily Zeitler & Boling worked out, but if you'd known that going into the season I think you would have called that a pretty sketchy prospect. I would like to see the OL have as much depth as the DL. It's every bit as important, if not more so. They signed TWO defensive linemen just to have them ride the pine almost the entire year. That is what I would consider making a position group a priority; building depth BEFORE you need it, not waiting until they have no choice but to draft a replacement.

Taking a RB in the first round is a fan pick. Look at what a UDFA was able to do against us on Saturday and tell me we need to drop the 21st overall on a back.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1357559828' post='1205831']
You want to improve this offense?

[b]Explosive back, better QB play, experience in passing game for WR. Interior line experience.[/b]
[/quote]

bingo

everyone seems to think you can place blame on one player/position...but its just not that simple

the four things you listed are the biggest issues on this offense and things can only move forward when all of them are addressed in one way or another

Archived