Harvin on the block?

Also, for those saying that Marvin wouldn't be able to control Harvin just as he couldn't control Chad, do not forget that Chad was controlled well while Hue was on the staff, which he currently is again. Don't discount that Hue could do the same with Harvin.

Ya he only punched Hue ONE time just imagine if ol Hue wasn't controlling him.

I just watched my first vid of Austin. What would he bring that Hawkins doesn't? How would we use him different than Hawkins? To me, Andy looks like he does better with big receivers. I love the smaller, quicker guys, but that video made me think of Harvin and Hawkins... and then I thought of how Gruden had one good game where Hawkins was utilized fully and he thrived.

Dalton could very well be more of a floater thrower like Rivers. Put the ball up there, let them make a play.

Again, though... what makes this Austin guy any different than Hawkins? To answer my own question, he could be more of a polished and natural WR. I remember when Hawkins stopped coming back for a ball once - just killed me to watch te defensive back break it up. Andy put it right on the money but Hawkins ruined it.

Think Tavon Austin brings some good versatility.  Could be our change of pace back, could play the Z receiver and allow AJ Green to line up in the slot, could play the slot.

Hawkins is cool and it is a great story.  Fact is though, he has the dropsies, and he just disappears.  Keep them both and you are super duper quick.

I just watched my first vid of Austin. What would he bring that Hawkins doesn't? How would we use him different than Hawkins? To me, Andy looks like he does better with big receivers. I love the smaller, quicker guys, but that video made me think of Harvin and Hawkins... and then I thought of how Gruden had one good game where Hawkins was utilized fully and he thrived.

Dalton could very well be more of a floater thrower like Rivers. Put the ball up there, let them make a play.

Again, though... what makes this Austin guy any different than Hawkins? To answer my own question, he could be more of a polished and natural WR. I remember when Hawkins stopped coming back for a ball once - just killed me to watch te defensive back break it up. Andy put it right on the money but Hawkins ruined it.

I'm a big Hawkins fan and thinks he has a role on the team and isn't going anywhere.

That said, Austin is likely 2 inches taller, faster, more experienced as a kick and punt returner, and has experience as a running back.  

They are similar players, but Austin does pretty much everything better which is why Hawkins went undrafted and Austin will be a late first early second round pick.  

I agree with you that a taller WR may be the way to go, but I also think Austin's ability to give you quality play as a KR, PR and RB makes him a very enticing pick if he makes it to pick 37.

If the Bengals can acquire Percy Harvin for a 2nd round pick, it would be the equivalent of trading a Frank Thomas Topps rookie for the 89 Upper Deck Griffey. That's a heck of a value for an elite playmaker. For reference: http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1510369/harvinHOF.gif He is young, 24. He would be an ideal complement across from AJ Green. It's not all rosy, however. As there has been some issues regarding emotion and/or attitude. Again, he is young, and maybe all he needs is a slight shift in scenery in order to fully blossom. Where better to do that at than right here in Cincinnatus, OH. That's right, Percy. Cincinnauti, Ohio is your next home town. We have a rich history. Cincinnati was build upon homes of revolutionary war heroes. Men who like you, Percy, have fough for their individual liberties.  Cincinnatus himself was a farmer who in time of need ,when the moment was opportune arose to become the "ideal emperor." Come here. Join the Bengals. Obviously Andy Dalton is light years ahead of Ponder. It only seems fair, Percy, for you to play surronded by better talent. In both Dalton and AJ Green, the Bengals represent a tremendous upgrade at two key skill positions. Now obviously I can't argue about the Bionic man who lines up in the Minnesota Vikings' backfield. No one can. But I feel that by and large the Bengals represent a signficant upgrade for you, Percy.

A second round pick.

Please make this happen.

Please.

Espn reported harvin wants Calvin Johnson money. He makes no since for the bengals. If they were willing to pay that for a #2 receiver why waste a 2nd round draft pick. They could sign bowe, Wallace or Jennings and keep pick. Bottom line they will not spend that type of money on a #2 wr and they shouldn't

Espn reported harvin wants Calvin Johnson money. He makes no since for the bengals. If they were willing to pay that for a #2 receiver why waste a 2nd round draft pick. They could sign bowe, Wallace or Jennings and keep pick. Bottom line they will not spend that type of money on a #2 wr and they shouldn't

That's outrageous. But if you want a playmaker, you have to pay for it. Sometimes you have to take chances. I'm torn on it. I hate punks and would definitely not want to see him divide a locker room.

If we could get Jennings for a reasonable dollar, and load it up with incentive bonuses or PT bonuses, that would be the better route.

The best route would be for Sanu or Jones to just step up and play #2 and #3 like they're supposed to. Sanu could be th perfect receiver for Andy. He's Colston-like.

I want to win the lottery.  Probably won't happen.  Only a desperate GM would even touch this guy for big money.  Then again there are some stupid GMs out there.

Rumor has it SF interested in Harvin.  I guess thats a good place for him since Harbaugh has about as much patience with poor players and problem children as Bellicheat.  If he screws up, he will be gone and I am sure there will be a conduct clause with any team he goes to.  Harbaugh certainly didn't waste time getting rid of Mays (field performance not attitude) whom Zimmer has not had much success with.

i think there's a lot to your breakdown of dalton being a floater type thrower. i also think for that reason, it brings out the flaws in smaller receivers, like hawkins, who's catch radius is less than a normally built WR. it turns average catches into difficult ones resulting in dropped passes, passes he just can't get to, plus the potential for INTs. i'd argue a QB with dalton's type arm even needs bigger, longer armed WRs vs average sized ones, which puts guys like hawkins at the opposite end of the spectrum. sure, he offers a little something extra in the open field, but is it worth the price of all those missed opportunities that kill drives? i'd say no.

I like Hawk, but he did lay an egg for about 6-7 games at the end of the year. He's really good in the open field, but Tavon Austin is - unreal in the open field. Like, one of the best I've seen. He can line up in the backfield, the slot, outside... And he's a dynamic return guy.

So, maybe they are similar from a strengths perspective (Hawk is a great coverage player on STs, too) but IMO Tavon's in a different area code as far as how well he does them. He's small, which hurts him but if he's around at 21 I'd strongly consider him.

i think there's a lot to your breakdown of dalton being a floater type thrower. i also think for that reason, it brings out the flaws in smaller receivers, like hawkins, who's catch radius is less than a normally built WR. it turns average catches into difficult ones resulting in dropped passes, passes he just can't get to, plus the potential for INTs. i'd argue a QB with dalton's type arm even needs bigger, longer armed WRs vs average sized ones, which puts guys like hawkins at the opposite end of the spectrum. sure, he offers a little something extra in the open field, but is it worth the price of all those missed opportunities that kill drives? i'd say no.

I agree and there's also the fact that asking a guy like Hawkins to be "the guy" 20 yards or more downfield is just ridiculous. Hawkins' skillset (and its a good skillset) is getting the ball in short yardage situations and making something happen with his elusiveness. Or screens. Or whatever.

I hate to beat this drum again but it isn't Hawkins' fault that he wasn't used to his potential...much like people slam on BJGE for not being some sort of world beater at the RB position when he's inexplicably taken out of games where he's being successful. This shit is ALL on Gruden and Marvin.

I agree and there's also the fact that asking a guy like Hawkins to be "the guy" 20 yards or more downfield is just ridiculous. Hawkins' skillset (and its a good skillset) is getting the ball in short yardage situations and making something happen with his elusiveness. Or screens. Or whatever.

I hate to beat this drum again but it isn't Hawkins' fault that he wasn't used to his potential...much like people slam on BJGE for not being some sort of world beater at the RB position when he's inexplicably taken out of games where he's being successful. This shit is ALL on Gruden and Marvin.

I thought they did a good job of using him overall - he still had 50+ catches, and missed a few games, besides.

My problem with him was, when he came back from injury around December 1, he didn't play well overall. Maybe the knee bothered him, i don't know - but there were several dropped passes for what would have been first downs that were drive killers. Uncharacteritic, maybe, but he's got to deliver. These weren't "floater" passes - he just flat-out dropped them. I like what he brings as both a WR and as a ST player, but the jury is slightly out for me on him, after what I saw during several key games down the stretch last year.

I thought they did a good job of using him overall - he still had 50+ catches, and missed a few games, besides.

My problem with him was, when he came back from injury around December 1, he didn't play well overall. Maybe the knee bothered him, i don't know - but there were several dropped passes for what would have been first downs that were drive killers. Uncharacteritic, maybe, but he's got to deliver. These weren't "floater" passes - he just flat-out dropped them. I like what he brings as both a WR and as a ST player, but the jury is slightly out for me on him, after what I saw during several key games down the stretch last year.

The marker for me was just after Sanu went down. It's like the creativity of the offensive gameplan went down with him, including what we were doing with Hawkins. Maybe without Sanu we just got figured out easier, I don't know. It's no excuse for the early and stupid abandonment of the run game though.

The marker for me was just after Sanu went down. It's like the creativity of the offensive gameplan went down with him, including what we were doing with Hawkins. Maybe without Sanu we just got figured out easier, I don't know. It's no excuse for the early and stupid abandonment of the run game though.

Agree on the run game - in that Dallas game, they could have had 200 yards and salted the game away pretty easily. Instead, they passed and AJ and Hawk in particular dropped some key passes. And they were running pretty well vs. Houston in the playoff game, too.

Losing Sanu was a blow, no question. They lost a reliable playmaker, and guys who had been making plays, like Hawk and Gresham, didn't really step up. Jones showed a little bit, but he wasn't as far along as Sanu, and it showed.

I like Hawk, but he did lay an egg for about 6-7 games at the end of the year. He's really good in the open field, but Tavon Austin is - unreal in the open field. Like, one of the best I've seen. He can line up in the backfield, the slot, outside... And he's a dynamic return guy.

So, maybe they are similar from a strengths perspective (Hawk is a great coverage player on STs, too) but IMO Tavon's in a different area code as far as how well he does them. He's small, which hurts him but if he's around at 21 I'd strongly consider him.

I see Hawkins more as a Wes Welker type receiver.  Slants and seem routes and YAC.  He isn't a downfield receiver as he simply can't go vertical and get the ball like AJ.

Archived