*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Hopefully we put a draft pick at WILL so Burfict can be in the middle. Anything to get Maualuga out of the starting lineup.

As much as most of us would like that I just don't think it's going to happen.

Harrison is definitely the better player right now and would be a bigger impact signing in the short term, but you could be comfortable signing Dansby for an extra year or two even if he's not quite as good.

I disagree that Harrison is the better player right now, especially given the track record of the stealers knowing when to let a player go. I realize that this could be one of the few times that they make a mistake, but when they let someone go because of age, they have rarely had that great an impact if/when they signed on elsewhere. I wouldn't throw up if we signed him, but he is NOT the player he was when he was the defensive player of the year, he's slower and older.

Dansby can play ALL the LB positions well and is younger. I think at this stage in their careers, Dansby is a better player as of right now.

I disagree that Harrison is the better player right now, especially given the track record of the stealers knowing when to let a player go. I realize that this could be one of the few times that they make a mistake, but when they let someone go because of age, they have rarely had that great an impact if/when they signed on elsewhere. I wouldn't throw up if we signed him, but he is NOT the player he was when he was the defensive player of the year, he's slower and older.

Dansby can play ALL the LB positions well and is younger. I think at this stage in their careers, Dansby is a better player as of right now.

I think I agree. I watched some highlights of Dansby last night and I think he has 3 down capability. I don't see that with Harrison.

I think I agree. I watched some highlights of Dansby last night and I think he has 3 down capability. I don't see that with Harrison.

Harrison used to drop into coverage, and may still have that ability... but I'd take the chance on Dansby to be able to lead us to a playoff win and Super Bowl win before Harrison.

How?  You love Boomer.  They played on the same team. 

I didn't really get to "watch" many games cause I lived in Texas.  Plus I didn't even know what a safety was. All I know about Fulcher is that he was badass on Tecmo.

Damn. From close to broken off? Think it was no free Gatorade? 

What I didn't hear was they wanted to take a few photos and asked Harrison to put on a Bengal uniform.

Handed him a striped #92 with his name on the back, prompting Harrison to soil himself.

Odder still, everyone in the room with Harrison when the incident occured also soiled themselves, most willingly, but a few waited until Harrison quietly demanded they do so.   

Harrison then asked to leave so that he could clean up.

He never returned.

Harrison is definitely the better player right now and would be a bigger impact signing in the short term, but you could be comfortable signing Dansby for an extra year or two even if he's not quite as good.

Agreed. Dansby is probably more versatile, but Harrison is a superior pass rusher and many say he's a little better in coverage as well. But 3-4 linebackers get paid like 4-3 defensive ends, so this always figured to be a financial transition problem going from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati.

Dansby is a solid player and would join a defense full of solid players. He is not the impact player Harrison is. And that's what we need.

Herein lies the problem...if he WAS the impactful player he had been in years past, the stealers wouldn't have let him go... and we wouldn't have squabbled over money with him. I don't think he's the "splash" player that he was, and many here seem to think he still is. I know he was injured for at least half of last year, and as we get older, injuries heal slower or not totally.

I also still say Dansby is better and can help this defense more than Harrison would.

Herein lies the problem...if he WAS the impactful player he had been in years past, the stealers wouldn't have let him go... and we wouldn't have squabbled over money with him. I don't think he's the "splash" player that he was, and many here seem to think he still is. I know he was injured for at least half of last year, and as we get older, injuries heal slower or not totally.

I also still say Dansby is better and can help this defense more than Harrison would.

Agree. Harrison's best years were better than dansbys but those years are long gone

Dansby is a solid player and would join a defense full of solid players. He is not the impact player Harrison is. And that's what we need.

I'd argue that Dansby is an impact player.  In Miami last year he had his best year to date as a pro under Kevin Coyle who uses Zimmer's system.  He would be an impact player for us imo.

Archived