*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

I don't think he was that slow, I just think for his build he was not stout at all. Wasn't very disciplined he missed his assignments quite often, and just didn't fit what the Bengals wanted him to be.

omg go back and watch some games from last season. He looked great, tall, lean and very muscular. But he was terribly slow in all aspects of the game

I think I missed that, where did Marvin talk about Howard?

Though Thomas Howard, who led Cincinnati in tackles in 2011, visited with the Miami Dolphins last week he remains one of Cincinnati's better free agents on the market. And Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wants him back.

Meeting with the local beat writers Sunday night prior to league meetings that start on Monday in Arizona, Lewis said "we have to deal with the physical condition. Hopefully we have every opportunity to get Thomas signed."

Though Thomas Howard, who led Cincinnati in tackles in 2011, visited with the Miami Dolphins last week he remains one of Cincinnati's better free agents on the market. And Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wants him back.

Meeting with the local beat writers Sunday night prior to league meetings that start on Monday in Arizona, Lewis said "we have to deal with the physical condition. Hopefully we have every opportunity to get Thomas signed."

Yeah that was a while ago though, not sure if hte harrison thing changes anything. Id like to bring Howard back on a cheap deal if his knee holds up.

He was our best coverage LB when healthy.

I can't believe they let Lawson go!  Lawson played on a top 7 D last year...he's awesome.  Zimmer had him starting, in Zimmer I trust!  Lawson = awesome.  HE PLAYED FOR A TOP 7 DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!1

Used to not like him but like him a lot now, especially considering he had the foresight to know he would sign with the Bengals and got a tattoo in tribute of Chris Henry on his forearm. 

Actually Oh is on the other side. Dude is a chocoholic

Bengals likely used Dansby to leverage Harrison

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT

x350-49-e1348749183853.jpg?w=160AP

When linebacker James Harrison agreed to terms with the Bengals, our first thought was that the Bengals had extended an offer both to Harrison and linebacker Karlos Dansby, with a simple message:  Whoever accepts first gets the job.

That’s the obvious inference flowing from comments by coach Marvin Lewis suggesting that one of the two linebackers, but not both, will be signed before the draft.

While it’s possible that the Bengals were going to sign Dansby if they didn’t sign Harrison, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Dansby heard not a peep from the Bengals since visiting the team on April 10.  This suggests that the Bengals used the possibility of signing Dansby as leverage to close the deal with Harrison, with whom the Bengals had been regularly negotiating.

It’s a valid tactic, and it apparently worked.  How well it worked will depend on the details of Harrison’s contract.

The fact that nothing has been leaked from Harrison’s camp regarding the value of the deal means that, from Harrison’s perspective, the deal likely isn’t anything to crow about.

I can't believe they let Lawson go!  Lawson played on a top 7 D last year...he's awesome.  Zimmer had him starting, in Zimmer I trust!  Lawson = awesome.  HE PLAYED FOR A TOP 7 DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!1

Used to not like him but like him a lot now, especially considering he had the foresight to know he would sign with the Bengals and got a tattoo in tribute of Chris Henry on his forearm. 

Awesome and Awesome

Those are pipes.  No matter what age you are, if you keep yourself in good shape, you are going to be effective.  It looks like he is staying in plenty good shape.

I'm starting to like this pickup more and more.  Get to the passer and they can't throw the ball.  The less time they have to throw, the less time your guys in coverage are in space.  Our pass rush did disappear at times last year.

Does PFF have his pressures from last year?  I know his sack total was lower because of injury, but a hurry is sometimes more effective than a sack.

he only really got back to healthy status the 2nd half of the year. for those last eight games, he (supposedly) had 5 sacks, and maybe more importantly 10 pressures.

And then they didn't even try to bring him back when his "prove you belong" deal was up...

batman-lightsaber-shark.jpg

I hear ya, bro.

he only really got back to healthy status the 2nd half of the year. for those last eight games, he (supposedly) had 5 sacks, and maybe more importantly 10 pressures.

A thing to consider is that with us, Harrison will be fighting OL a lot less in the pass game and going after whoever is in blitz pickup, like a RB.  So he can have a lot more energy than if we used him like the Steelers do.

Pay much attention to how harrison played?

I didn't make a special project of it, no.  But of course, their run D against us was stellar.  Most of their pressure was in the middle IIRC.   Whitworth usually checkmates him for the most part, but didn't push him all over the field either.  I didn't see him as a special weakness.

A thing to consider is that with us, Harrison will be fighting OL a lot less in the pass game and going after whoever is in blitz pickup, like a RB.  So he can have a lot more energy than if we used him like the Steelers do.

I can see him making a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage because of this

Bengals likely used Dansby to leverage Harrison
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
x350-49-e1348749183853.jpg?w=160AP
When linebacker James Harrison agreed to terms with the Bengals, our first thought was that the Bengals had extended an offer both to Harrison and linebacker Karlos Dansby, with a simple message:  Whoever accepts first gets the job.
That’s the obvious inference flowing from comments by coach Marvin Lewis suggesting that one of the two linebackers, but not both, will be signed before the draft.
While it’s possible that the Bengals were going to sign Dansby if they didn’t sign Harrison, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Dansby heard not a peep from the Bengals since visiting the team on April 10.  This suggests that the Bengals used the possibility of signing Dansby as leverage to close the deal with Harrison, with whom the Bengals had been regularly negotiating.
It’s a valid tactic, and it apparently worked.  How well it worked will depend on the details of Harrison’s contract.
The fact that nothing has been leaked from Harrison’s camp regarding the value of the deal means that, from Harrison’s perspective, the deal likely isn’t anything to crow about.

What a load of shit. "Isn't anything to crow about". Why...because it is the Bengals doing the negotiating? I guarantee James is being paid very well. Otherwise, I doubt he would be here.

What a load of shit. "Isn't anything to crow about". Why...because it is the Bengals doing the negotiating? I guarantee James is being paid very well. Otherwise, I doubt he would be here.

I didn't take it as an insult of Cincy any way.  Just that if it was a great deal for the player, the agent would probably be bragging about it.

Floria is a noted Steelers fan so he's just trying to come to grips with the Steelers losing their best defensive player and trying to divide and conquer the Bengals by making Harrison feel like he conned or something like that. He's not basing this article on any facts and is using the "unnamed sources" with knowledge of the situation instead of an actual person is highly suspect.

Archived