*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Son of a bitch, who the fuck is gonna cover the te's. Its the slowest combined lb unit in the league as of right now. I'm still hoping we draft a linebacker early.

Patriots are gonna rape us and we are gonna play texans again round one and owen daniels is gonna keep dominating us like always. Since 2009

They have to use him on passing downs.  If you add James Harrison and don't ask him to get after the QB more often than not, you're doing it wrong.  I'm a homer so I'll be on board eventually but if he stays healthy, lays the lumber, avoids costly penalties, and can bring a swagger to this D he will definitely contribute to getting us over the hump.

X2 if he stays healthy, and that's a big if, this will be a great signing. If not, a waste

He is an NFL "Thinking Head" who usually gets it right the first time, every time. He is the opposite of "ESPN Talking Heads".

Vince Lombardi didn't get it right the first time, every time, so forgive me if I doubt the football acumen of some unknown blogger type. I will constantly take Zimmer's knowledge of football over someone that I have no clue about.

Always thought Dansby was more of an OLB if he played in a 4-3 defense. Don't really see him in the middle. SAM would be perfect for him.

Barry Foster was here for like a day....
Um.... A safety in the 90s... Can't remember his name... Logan maybe... I dunno

Myron Bell ss he was here from 1998_ 2000 I believe. He could lay the wood, but he was slow as hell. Remember the secondary with Hawkins, Bean, Bell, damn we had some shitty teams back then.

X2 if he stays healthy, and that's a big if, this will be a great signing. If not, a waste

How is that different than any FA who gets hurt?

like I said earlier, yes he upgrades the unit, but they had a chance to make the unit a lot better and missed the opportunity.

Maualuga-Burfict-Dansby

Maualuga-Dansby-Burfict

Maualuga-Howard-Burfict

all would be bigger upgrades.  I don't know that saying "well he's better than Lawson" is something worth doing backflips over.

they do and according to JT they thought about starting him.  They know what they have in him, fans don't yet.

Howard would be an upgrade if he is healthy. But he's not. Dansby is a good player, but Harrison,imo, brings more to the table.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I wouldn't have minded Dansby. But his resume doesn't compare to Harrison's. 

And more than likely, neither did his demands.

And when you already had a top 10 Defense, upgraded a LB with a DPoY and 

a guy that had more Sacks and FF than your entire LB corps did the year prior,

then hell yes that is a reason to do backflips. 

Harrison has been a clearly superior pro than Dansby, and its not because Harrison is a better athlete. The guy has turned himself into a feared and effective player despite not having prototype numbers. Harrison is tough as they come and has outstanding football instincts and character. I think this is a terrific addition. Anyone complaining about Harrison not having outstanding athleticism or the ability to cover TEs is just missing the point on this player.

Dansby isn't better than Harrison. Period.

You are right,sir.

Son of a bitch, who the fuck is gonna cover the te's. Its the slowest combined lb unit in the league as of right now. I'm still hoping we draft a linebacker early.

I'm sure you came to the conclusion that the Bengals have the "slowest" LB unit in the league after a thorough review of all the NFL's linebacking unit. No? Are you basing this on the Bengals' LBers 40 times? Big deal. The better question is whether they play fast.

Since when is Harrison known as a coverage lb. He played rolb in a 3-4 defense, his primary job is to rush the passer or defend the edge on running downs. Almost all teams line up their te on the right side of the line away from him, meaning if it a passing play his primary function is to cover the rb in the flat.

Harrison, as recently as last season, graded out very well in pass coverage, although he was used mostly in zone coverage.  I think Lewis, Zimmer. and Guenther have a pretty good idea how Harrison can be effectively used in the Bengals' defense.

still don't think that's true. Harrison isn't a longterm answer, and they now have maybe the least athletic LB corp in the league.

Neither Harrison nor Dansby would be longterm answers-whatever the question may be. Harrison is a right now two-year answer. Suggesting that our LBers are the "least athletic LB corp in the league" is a nonsense statement. Somehow, we have come up with a top 10 defense two-years running with those LBers. Does swapping out Lawson and replacing him with Harrison make the LB group worse? Hardly.

Myron Bell ss he was here from 1998_ 2000 I believe. He could lay the wood, but he was slow as hell. Remember the secondary with Hawkins, Bean, Bell, damn we had some shitty teams back then.

Thats right... he would prolly start today over Crocker if he was here... well.. maybe not.

One question, is he better than last year's starter Manny Lawson?

He's certainly going to be more effective than Lawson, since Lawson is playing in Buffalo.

I know that. Question was is he a better player? If yes then I don't understand the hand wringing. I see the signing no different then getting Howard 2 years ago. Upgrade the position for a year or hopefully 2.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I wouldn't have minded Dansby. But his resume doesn't compare to Harrison's. 

And more than likely, neither did his demands.

And when you already had a top 10 Defense, upgraded a LB with a DPoY and 

a guy that had more Sacks and FF than your entire LB corps did the year prior,

then hell yes that is a reason to do backflips. 

Yes if we got that guy, if we got the guy that played the way he played last year not so much. I guess well see.

Archived