James Harrison brings attitude to Bengals

James Harrison won't bring double-digit sacks to the Cincinnati Bengals. He won't bring a familiarity with a 4-3 defense like Karlos Dansby would. 

So what can Who Dey Nation expect from the ex-Steelers outside linebacker? A whole lot of attitude. 

It's easy to pick apart this addition and why the Bengals should have chosen Dansby as their strong-side linebacker, from Harrison's declining sack total (six last season) to an increasing number of injuries (seven games missed due to injuries the past two seasons) to his age (he turns 35 next month). But I would like to watch someone relay this criticism to Harrison's face.

What you can't argue with is the intangibles of this deal. As everyone who has ever watched him play one down knows, Harrison is mean, tough and plain nasty. He's more than just old. He's old school. I can tell you the person who hates this deal the most isBen Roethlisberger. He's the last person who wants to see Harrison's steely-eyed stare across from the line of scrimmage. 

The Bengals have one of the better defenses in the NFL, ranking No. 6 last season. The lineup is filled with young and talented players like Geno Atkins,Leon HallMichael JohnsonCarlos Dunlap and Vontaze Burfict. The Bengals didn't need a Pro Bowl linebacker. Remember Harrison is replacing underachievingManny Lawson and not Aldon Smith

What the Bengals never had on defense was an edge, or at least I never sensed one. That won't be the case now with Harrison, who is carrying a chip on his shoulder as large as a Primanti Brothers sandwhich (or whatever the Cincinnati equivalent would be). Harrison carries grudges. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens, who once cut Harrison and got some of his best efforts each season. 

The same goes for the Steelers and Ravens this year. Harrison was cut by the Steelers after refusing to take a pay cut and then watched the Ravens sign Elvis Dumervil while he was at the Ravens team facility. I'm quite sure Harrison will be motivated when playing those two prime-time games against Pittsburgh and those two matchups with the defending Super Bowl champions. Perhaps the Bengals will get flashes of the Harrison from 2007 to 2011 when he went to the Pro Bowl five times and was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. 

"He hates the Steelers now, and that's somebody we need on our side," Dunlap told The Cincinnati Enquirer earlier this week. 

There is a risk involved in adding Harrison. He's never played in a 4-3 defense and he has been on the field for 77 percent of his team’s defensive snaps since the start of the 2011 season, which ranks 56th among linebackers over that span, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In 2012, Harrison finished outside the top five in sacks as an outside linebacker for the first time in the last five seasons (he was tied for 17th). There's a reason why Harrison didn't draw much interest in free agency and only had serious talks with the Bengals and Ravens this offseason. 

Because of those points, this may not be a popular choice among the Bengals fan base. In a recent SportsNation poll, 48 percent of voters thought the Bengals should have went with Dansby and only 25 percent picked Harrison. Dansby is four years younger than Harrison and has experience in a 4-3 defense. 

The difference with Harrison is he comes with a mean streak and swagger than Dansby doesn't have. I'm not saying Harrison is the missing piece in the Bengals' championship puzzle. But he will make them better for at least this year, when he is intent on proving everyone that he can still make an impact. I like this move. Or maybe I just don't want to tick off Harrison and become Target No. 2 behind Roethlisberger.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68908/james-harrison-brings-attitude-to-bengals

Harrison Steels away to Who Dey welcome

It's hard to tell who is more excited about the two-year deal the Bengals reached with James Harrison Friday.

Head coach Marvin Lewis or his locker room.

Both have watched Harrison define the Steelers defensive dominance over the AFC North while pushing the Bengals around during the past decade and now he's expected to bring his 64 career sacks and winning intimidation to the Bengals' sixth-ranked defense as their starting SAM backer.

"I think it's an awesome signing," said defensive tackle Domata Peko in a text. "You know we have a great defense here already, so to add a person like that to our defense is awesome. He brings a lot of toughness, experience, and swagger. We just got better as a team today."

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who has gone head-to-head against Harrison twice a year for the past four seasons, thinks it's as big an addition in the locker room as it is on the field.

"It's always exciting to add a guy that has been a great leader and great player in this league," Whitworth said. "He's a guy that plays the game with intensity it takes to win and has done it all."

It certainly doesn't qualify as your typical Bengals signing. Not with Harrison turning 35 in 15 days and a high-profile player in their division, two traits the Bengals usually stay away from.

But Lewis is convinced the Bengals have upgraded immensely at SAM and gives defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer another pressure option in a league that continues to rely more and more on the pass. As Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins said earlier this week, "You can never have enough pass rushers."

"You can't let the offense dictate to you. You need to keep getting the edge for the defense and James helps us do that" Lewis said. "He's been a productive player for so long and he brings so much to the table for us."  

Harrison also adds another deep layer to the emotional  cauldron that is the Bengals-Steelers rivalry. Feeling snubbed when the Steelers asked him to take a 30 percent pay cut last month instead of approaching other aging defenders, Harrison took his 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year trophy and went looking for a job.

When he got cut, Harrison reached out to Lewis but the deal took some time to take shape as the Bengals focused on re-signing their own. He wanted to be close to his two sons in Pittsburgh. He wanted to play in the AFC North. He wanted to play for a good defense and Cincinnati fit the bill.

But this is how it works in the AFC North.  Harrison was set to visit the Ravens, but that went by the boards when they signed Elvis Dumervil. In essence, the Denver fax machine ended up putting Harrison in Cincinnati. Agent Bill Parise brought him in for a visit and a workout last week and once they were able to hammer out the money that would be commensurate with his role in the 4-3 the deal got done.

"We are where we want to be," Parise said. "It's a good fit with Marvin. Anytime you've got a great coach and a great player it's a great fit. Any time you sign  James Harrison it's a great day. He's happy to be in Cincinnati and he's looking forward to playing in a new defense. That's something he's looking forward to."

There has been some concern externally about Harrison's ability  to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3, but Lewis and Whitworth don't see it.

"The days of a two-gap, 3-4 are pretty much gone. Everybody is pretty much playing a hybrid between a 3-4 and a 4-3," Whitworth said. "Even Pittsburgh. Sometimes it looks like they're playing an under 3-4, which kind of looks like an under 4-3. The only difference is that he was standing up instead of with his hand on the ground."

Whitworth, who has allowed just one sack to Harrison, thinks he has plenty left as heads into his 11th season and is now the Bengals oldest player with five months on cornerback Terence Newman.

"He had his knee surgery and missed training camp and still had six sacks and he was coming up with big plays," Whitworth said. "When they beat Baltimore (on Dec. 2), he beat (right tackle) Michael Oher for a sack and strip and it led to the winning field goal. He can still make those kind of plays."

Lewis has no doubt Harrison came make the move and be able to play both pass-rush end at times and linebacker at times, as well as blitz. There are those at Paul Brown Stadium that get excited about rolling out an occasional  four-man  front on third down that sports Harrison and 11.5-sack man Michael Johnson at the ends with end Carlos Dunlap moving inside with Atkins and his 12.5 sacks.

"He can adjust. He was their adjustor in Pittsburgh," Lewis said. "I have no doubt he can do it. He's got that flexibility and he's a smart, hard-working guy. But it all starts with the fact he's physical against the run."    

The signing pretty much means that middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and WILL backer Vontaze Burfict are going to stay put even though some think Maualuga is a better SAM and Burfict a better MIKE. But the Bengals don't see it that way yet.

They're not wild about moving Burfict out of a spot he had 174 tackles as a rookie last season and while they want Maualuga to get more consistent, they also look at their No. 7 and No. 6 rankings with him in the middle the past two seasons.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Harrison-Steels-away-to-Who-Dey-welcome/7fdc0e8f-b933-4088-b9ab-50bf50e3a025?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

tumblr_lo9zkhnw5o1qfiwrio1_500.jpg

james-harrison-eyes.jpg

That revolver gun that he's holding in his right hand, I tried to shoot that gun at a gun range. After 3 Bullets I gave the gun back and took a 9mm instead. My hand honestly

could not handle the power behind that gun. It fucking hurt so bad after every shot. It rattled the fuck outta me. Every shot felt like a cannon ball.

james-harrison-eyes.jpg

That revolver gun that he's holding in his right hand, I tried to shoot that gun at a gun range. After 3 Bullets I gave the gun back and took a 9mm instead. My hand honestly

could not handle the power behind that gun. It fucking hurt so bad after every shot. It rattled the fuck outta me. Every shot felt like a cannon ball.

what is it?

james-harrison-eyes.jpg

1st of all, I cant help but notice he has the exact same build as me. We must go to the same gym.

2nd, I have a Taurus Judge that fires a 45 Colt Cowboy round as well as a .410 shotgun shell. Thats a hand cannon when firing shotgun shells. Everytime I take it to the range my hand is sore for several days afterwards. Shoot one sometime if you can (or if you ever make it down this way).

1st of all, I cant help but notice he has the exact same build as me. We must go to the same gym.

2nd, I have a Taurus Judge that fires a 45 Colt Cowboy round as well as a .410 shotgun shell. Thats a hand cannon when firing shotgun shells. Everytime I take it to the range my hand is sore for several days afterwards. Shoot one sometime if you can (or if you ever make it down this way).

Bwahahahahaaa you kill me bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5xmqKyE7YY

I know a lot of these clips are from a few years ago, but he plays full speed all the time and hits to hurt and win.... He brings a attitude and aggressiveness I have not seen from a Bengals LB in a long long time....

An aggressiveness this team has always lacked....

Anyone care to lay odds on how many games he's suspended for helmet-to-helmet hits?

Glad we've finally got a LB that's intimidating but still :31: that it's Harrison.

OT: Is there a rule that says football highlight vids have to have the douchiest, most ANGRYBRO fratboy anthems known to man or is it just tradition?

"Well he's probably lost a step but I'D LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE TELL HIM THAT! LOLOL IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE'S PRONE TO SUDDEN VIOLENT OUTBURSTS TOWARDS THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM! NO EYE CONTACT!! HARFHARF!"

Anyone care to lay odds on how many games he's suspended for helmet-to-helmet hits?

Glad we've finally got a LB that's intimidating but still :31: that it's Harrison.

OT: Is there a rule that says football highlight vids have to have the douchiest, most ANGRYBRO fratboy anthems known to man or is it just tradition?

"Well he's probably lost a step but I'D LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE TELL HIM THAT! LOLOL IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE'S PRONE TO SUDDEN VIOLENT OUTBURSTS TOWARDS THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM! NO EYE CONTACT!! HARFHARF!"

We can avoid that by not putting him into a helmet.

I want to know who gets him in the Oklahoma Drill.

Yeah, the videos always have either that or some gay rap song. Lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5xmqKyE7YY

I know a lot of these clips are from a few years ago, but he plays full speed all the time and hits to hurt and win.... He brings a attitude and aggressiveness I have not seen from a Bengals LB in a long long time....

An aggressiveness this team has always lacked....

another thing that harrison does so well, and it's almost an instinct with him, is when he goes for the sack he's always looking to tackle the ball. that's a great way to create turnovers, and something we as a team could get better at.

There's a regular Steeler fan on SiriusXM NFL radio (Adrian from Pittsburgh) who had some interesting comments about Harrison right after he was cut.  He was discussing with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan what the Steelers were going to do about their pass rush after cutting Harrison.  He was sure that they would re-sign him.  They questioned him on how effective he still was, and his interesting point was this:  

For some reason, Harrison waited until right before training camp last season to have a surgical procedure on his knee.  It took him until the second half of the season to regain the strength in his lower body, and he really started to come on by game 10, and had 5 of his 6 sacks in games 10-16.  

I'm hopeful, still not entirely sure how he fits into a 4-3, but I like that we have a LB that is legitimately crazy.

Archived