With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

I've seen him at SMU. They call him the Eastern Block since he's from Estonia.

Came to US as a world-class track athlete (throwing events) and got a scholarship to SMU. They dropped track, but he liked it there so he got a FB tryout, got a free ride and stayed.

Really, his impact was more on STs blocking a ton of kicks, but last fall, started to get it and had his best game in their bowl game vs Fresno State. He's overaged, but he tested out extremely well at the Combine.

A lot of tools to work with, but not a finished product by any means. Seems like a good character kid, though. Pretty humble.

I've seen him at SMU. They call him the Eastern Block since he's from Estonia and he blocked 17 kicks.

Came to US as a world-class track athlete (throwing events) and got a scholarship to SMU. They dropped track, but he liked it there so he got a FB tryout, got a free ride and stayed.

Really, his impact was more on STs blocking a ton of kicks, but last fall, started to get it and had his best game in their bowl game vs Fresno State. He's overaged, but he tested out extremely well at the Combine.

A lot of tools to work with, but not a finished product by any means. Seems like a good character kid, though. Pretty humble.

:)

1. Zimmer: "He learned English from watching American movies. He speaks English better than me (massive chuckles ensue)."

Expand
  2. Zimmer: "He's 26 but football tread wise he is about 12."

Expand
  3. Zimmer: "We have to teach him some technique but he's only been playing football for five years."

Expand

Meh. Amazing athlete but needs to get a lot better at football.

I was thinking the same thing. Other than height and a nice first move, it is not conclusive he is really a pass rusher. Or a run-stopper for that matter. Guess with that athleticism he can learn, but this isn't MJ coming out of school--or even Geathers. A project really. Good he doesn't have to do much but learn this season.

Archived