Geno Atkins expected to land lucrative extension

Ravens DT Ngata is scheduled to make 16 mil in 2014. Isn't that the salary Atkins' agent will be looking to highlight during contract extension negotiations?

MB should just hand Geno the Bengals checkbook and tell to fill in what he thinks is fair. Just kidding obviously, but the front office should not screw around with situation. The guy is going to be the highest payed DT in football, and it is well deserved, no matter where he ends up most likely. Just get it done sooner rather than later.

MB should just hand Geno the Bengals checkbook and tell to fill in what he thinks is fair. Just kidding obviously, but the front office should not screw around with situation. The guy is going to be the highest payed DT in football, and it is well deserved, no matter where he ends up most likely. Just get it done sooner rather than later.

That's the thing. Geno isn't in line to be the highest paid DT even if he is the best. Ngata hasn't really lived up to his contract and will have to renegotiate downward. Same thing with Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy who were the 2nd and 3rd overall players picked in the 2010 draft, the last under the old CBA. Their deals were scaled off Sam Bradford's QB deal. Geno is under contract for 2013 and can easily be tagged the next couple of years after that. Players have to discount themselves to get paid early so Geno's next deal will probably average under 10 mil, maybe under 9.

That's the thing. Geno isn't in line to be the highest paid DT even if he is the best. Ngata hasn't really lived up to his contract and will have to renegotiate downward. Same thing with Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy who were the 2nd and 3rd overall players picked in the 2010 draft, the last under the old CBA. Their deals were scaled off Sam Bradford's QB deal. Geno is under contract for 2013 and can easily be tagged the next couple of years after that. Players have to discount themselves to get paid early so Geno's next deal will probably average under 10 mil, maybe under 9.

If?????

:1018:  :1018:  :1018:

:lol:

Actually I think that's a great idea, Geno has potential to be a HOF'er and one of the players to ever play for this organization and they should treat him as such. Same with AJ, don't do the usually MB bs when it comes to extending players because I have no faith in this organization to re-sign Geno or AJ in the open market. 

If they don't sign Atkins this offseason and AJ next they are giving up a huge amount of leverage. Obviously, you can't make someone sign but the biggest hammer you have is turning those last years of the rookie contract from small money to huge money in the form of bonuses.

Actually I think that's a great idea, Geno has potential to be a HOF'er and one of the players to ever play for this organization and they should treat him as such. Same with AJ, don't do the usually MB bs when it comes to extending players because I have no faith in this organization to re-sign Geno or AJ in the open market. 

Geno is already one of the players to ever play for this organization.

And for the record, MB has always gotten the job done with the core players of this franchise.  Joseph was just a notch below that in their eyes.

And for the record, MB has always gotten the job done with the core players of this franchise.  Joseph was just a notch below that in their eyes.

I'm really not going to turn this into a multipage thread, but if that were true they wouldnt have tried to resign him. Can we stop trying to rewrite history with this Joseph thing alread?

I'm really not going to turn this into a multipage thread, but if that were true they wouldnt have tried to resign him. Can we stop trying to rewrite history with this Joseph thing alread?

True.   Zimmer went into a mini drepssion when he bolted and they had his name and shit on his dorm room in G'town.

It was just a fuck up that they eventually recovered from, but a fuck up none the less.   Just like it would be if Geno somehow finds his way to unrestricted FA and bolts.

Joseph, TJ, and Justin Smith were all guys who were important players who left via FA. MB has shown that will extend players but until it's done I won't consider it a done deal.

Joseph, TJ, and Justin Smith were all guys who were important players who left via FA. MB has shown that will extend players but until it's done I won't consider it a done deal.

Joseph and TJ left because they wanted to leave because they believed the team was headed in the wrong direction.  I don't believe that is the case with this team. 

Joseph and TJ left because they wanted to leave because they believed the team was headed in the wrong direction.  I don't believe that is the case with this team. 

agree on Joseph (he specifically cited the QB situation as a reason).  TJ, the impression I always got was that he wanted to be a #1 WR somewhere.  We saw how that worked out. 

TJ was butt hurt because he thought they lowed balled him and then his pride wouldn't let him come back to the Bengals when they had a good offer on the table.    I think he later recognized his mistake because he didn't last deep into the Seattle contract and would have realized more money with the bengals.

But you will act like he is all but gone until then, right? 

The Joseph debacle was the biggest F up in recent memory. That should be a case study for the FO moving forward.

TJ was a bit of a PR hit but really didn't matter in the end.

Justin had to leave. The coaching staff didn't know how to use him and lost faith in the caliber of player he could have been. I'm happy that he got a fresh start and has now had a very respectable career.

TJ was butt hurt because he thought they lowed balled him and then his pride wouldn't let him come back to the Bengals when they had a good offer on the table.    I think he later recognized his mistake because he didn't last deep into the Seattle contract and would have realized more money with the bengals.

But you will act like he is all but gone until then, right? 

TJ later did say he regretted not taking the Bengals offer.

For the umpteenth time; JJ said the deals were basically the same money-wise, said it ultimately came down to a certain QB's bitch move leaving the organization (seemingly) rudderless, and the franchise tag didn't make sense with a lockout on the horizon.

But feel free to rewrite that into "MB is cheap" if you want. That was years ago now so I'm not holding my breath on pesky facts entering into anyone's reasoning.

For the umpteenth time; JJ said the deals were basically the same money-wise, said it ultimately came down to a certain QB's bitch move leaving the organization (seemingly) rudderless, and the franchise tag didn't make sense with a lockout on the horizon.

But feel free to rewrite that into "MB is cheap" if you want. That was years ago now so I'm not holding my breath on pesky facts entering into anyone's reasoning.

He also said Houston was offering more guaranteed money. Which is where the "MB is cheap" narrative comes in. I think even the most ardent of MB supporters would admit they made a poor business decision in handling that deal. Either tag and trade or do something else. There was no reason to let him go for nothing.

He also said Houston was offering more guaranteed money. Which is where the "MB is cheap" narrative comes in. I think even the most ardent of MB supporters would admit they made a poor business decision in handling that deal. Either tag and trade or do something else. There was no reason to let him go for nothing.

I think MB is an albatross around the neck of the franchise myself, but thankfully less and less of one as time goes on.

I disagree the FT didnt make sense, but carry on.

I disagree the FT didnt make sense, but carry on.

I can't claim to know the details but I could see a reason not to when they didn't know if there was going to be a full season etc.. Was it even an option? In an uncapped year with no CBA how would that even work? We know now they got a new deal and that didn't happen but it was a last-minute thing.

Archived