Brandon Thompson

I was just reading through Reedy's roster prediction and noticed that Thompson is listed as one of the last four in. This isn't the first time I have seen something like this during camp and am very confused by it. Isn't Thompson supposed to be replacing Pat Sims this year? While Still is considered more of a pass-rush threat, Thomson is the guy who is supposed to be filling the gaps and taking on two blockers.I don't get it, we just drafted him a year ago in the 3rd round and he only played in 3 games last year due to our depth.

I can't possibly imagine him being on the bubble. He was one of the guys I was excited to see this year after watching him some in college. Does anyone else actually believe he's anywhere near the bubble?

I was just reading through Reedy's roster prediction and noticed that Thompson is listed as one of the last four in. This isn't the first time I have seen something like this during camp and am very confused by it. Isn't Thompson supposed to be replacing Pat Sims this year? While Still is considered more of a pass-rush threat, Thomson is the guy who is supposed to be filling the gaps and taking on two blockers.I don't get it, we just drafted him a year ago in the 3rd round and he only played in 3 games last year due to our depth.

I can't possibly imagine him being on the bubble. He was one of the guys I was excited to see this year after watching him some in college. Does anyone else actually believe he's anywhere near the bubble?

not a chance he's cut, and Reedy's opinion doesn't mean much.  

On the bright side, Thompson was back at practice yesterday and should get a lot of playing time against Dallas.

I like Thompson a lot, but I think Reedy's reasoning has to do with the fact that he has barely been on the field this camp. I'd be shocked if BT were let go, but we will find out soon enough. Agree with 1181 that he should get a lot of snaps vs. Dallas and Indy... he needs it to get his timing and conditioning back.

Interestingly, I was in CA last week and was reading the local paper.. and I guess Pat Sims has barely made an appearance in TC due to injury... he just came back the other day. Sounds familiar.

look at the source. i haven't the first concern about thompson making this squad.

I like Thompson a lot, but I think Reedy's reasoning has to do with the fact that he has barely been on the field this camp. I'd be shocked if BT were let go, but we will find out soon enough. Agree with 1181 that he should get a lot of snaps vs. Dallas and Indy... he needs it to get his timing and conditioning back.

Interestingly, I was in CA last week and was reading the local paper.. and I guess Pat Sims has barely made an appearance in TC due to injury... he just came back the other day. Sounds familiar.

I don't think that should matter at all when it comes to a 2nd year 3rd round pick.  He's only missed two preseason games. We let Pat Sims go because of this guy. It just doesn't make any sense no matter how you look at it. 

I don't see us cutting a high pick so we can keep Vinny Rey on the squad.

I agree.  Thompson was considered a first-round talent to some during the draft and while he hasn't shown that potential yet, we haven't seen enough of him to kick him to the curb.  I like Vinny Rey, Dan Herron, Jeromy Miles and Rex Burkhead and all, but we can grab guys like that off the street or in the 6th or 7th round.  I'm not trying to downplay special teams play but I think we can make up for that easier than finding DL talent.

I don't think that should matter at all when it comes to a 2nd year 3rd round pick.  He's only missed two preseason games. We let Pat Sims go because of this guy. It just doesn't make any sense no matter how you look at it. 

It makes sense from a positional numbers standpoint.   You have 53 spots.   The last couple guys in each position group are on the bubble regardless of quality as the competition grows from guys in their position to other positions.

Thompson like Sims is among the last DTs thus he will be competing against the last LB, DE, S, CB etc.

It makes sense from a positional numbers standpoint.   You have 53 spots.   The last couple guys in each position group are on the bubble regardless of quality as the competition grows from guys in their position to other positions.

Thompson like Sims is among the last DTs thus he will be competing against the last LB, DE, S, CB etc.

The team brought Sims into the game in likely running situations. They let Sims walk because they drafted Thompson in the 3rd round. I find it hard to believe that Zimmer/Marvin would go into the most important season of their tenure with Peko/Atkins/Still as your DT's and Gilberry occasionally moving inside. One injury to any of those guys and you have absolutely no rotation anymore. 

The team brought Sims into the game in likely running situations. They let Sims walk because they drafted Thompson in the 3rd round. I find it hard to believe that Zimmer/Marvin would go into the most important season of their tenure with Peko/Atkins/Still as your DT's and Gilberry occasionally moving inside. One injury to any of those guys and you have absolutely no rotation anymore. 

Well first,  I'm not understanding why you are arguing a point that he is going to be cut.   I thought it was last 4 IN.   Which means he's on the roster.

The rest is just reality.  If you are the last at your position group you are in competition with other position groups.   Considering there's only 53 and they typically go even between D and O.    It doesn't take long to get to the last 4 IN.

No - Stephens and Meatoga are the last DTs.

While I think Thompson does make it, people were saying the same things about Chase Coffman who was a late 3rd rounder who had some injuries and was cut before his 2nd season.

We also cut Ghee, another late 3rd, after his first or second year and were able to retain him on the practice squad.

Over the last few years, we have usually only dressed 3 DTs each Sunday. Atkins, Peko and Still seem like they will be those guys. I think they keep Thompson around on the 53, but that he won't be on the active roster on Sundays. However, it is not that crazy to think they instead try to just put him on the PS and keep a guy like Cobi Hamilton or Shaun Prater instead.

While I think Thompson does make it, people were saying the same things about Chase Coffman who was a late 3rd rounder who had some injuries and was cut before his 2nd season.

We also cut Ghee, another late 3rd, after his first or second year and were able to retain him on the practice squad.

Over the last few years, we have usually only dressed 3 DTs each Sunday. Atkins, Peko and Still seem like they will be those guys. I think they keep Thompson around on the 53, but that he won't be on the active roster on Sundays. However, it is not that crazy to think they instead try to just put him on the PS and keep a guy like Cobi Hamilton or Shaun Prater instead.

He would last about 12 seconds on the practice squad.

And for a Cobi Hamilton or Shaun Prather.... ummmm.... no.

This is why in another thread I goofed on the idea of trading one of out

good young D lineman.  We are having trouble juggling them to keep them all on the team.

And you usually have to give up something in order to get something of value back... like a higher draft choice.

(usually... not counting highway robberies like Carson Palmer and The Throwin' Samoin' or rights to Bill Bergy going

way back).

Of course... and remember I said this... there's always a chance for one of those infamous "nagging" injuries

to stock pile a guy on IR to come in fresh later in the season if/when someone really gets dinged.

Meaning, specifically, I am not buying the baloney being sold about Hawkins.

His injury opens a spot for one of the young guys and he does know his role and the system and can

step right in when he recovers and later in the season.

There are 9 making the roster at D-line. He's one of the 9. I can't imagine a scenario where he is on the bubble, unless they only keep 8, and I just don't see that.

X2, no way they try and sneak him to the PS. He's on the team... He just needs to get healthy for the season.

I could forsee some situations where he'd be inactive, if they need to dress more pass rushers one week, but I can't see him gone.

He would last about 12 seconds on the practice squad.
And for a Cobi Hamilton or Shaun Prather.... ummmm.... no.
This is why in another thread I goofed on the idea of trading one of out
good young D lineman.  We are having trouble juggling them to keep them all on the team.
And you usually have to give up something in order to get something of value back... like a higher draft choice.
(usually... not counting highway robberies like Carson Palmer and The Throwin' Samoin' or rights to Bill Bergy going
way back).

Of course... and remember I said this... there's always a chance for one of those infamous "nagging" injuries
to stock pile a guy on IR to come in fresh later in the season if/when someone really gets dinged.
Meaning, specifically, I am not buying the baloney being sold about Hawkins.
His injury opens a spot for one of the young guys and he does know his role and the system and can
step right in when he recovers and later in the season.

I don't think there is any guarantee that another team would rush out to sign him, given that he has basically no NFL tape. And even if that was true, it is probably true of whoever the last few cuts are due to the Bengals depth. Guys like Cobi Hamilton, Shaun Prater, Jason DiManche, etc. are also going to be tough to get to the PS.

I think Thompson is pretty clearly the 9th man on the D line depth chart and the Bengals usually keep either 8 or 9 guys there. By almost any definition, that means he is a guy on the roster bubble.

Plus, when draft picks have been injured and/or under performing, the Bengals have shown they get 1 redshirt year. First and 2nd rounders may get 2 redshirt years. We have cut 3rd rounders after 1 year in the past. And that was on teams with much less depth than the current group.

they went out of the way to draft thompson in the first place, as if they couldn't believe the value of him still being available, when in reality they had much greater positions of need at the time of their 3rd round pick. they're not going to take a foolish risk and expose him to waivers, at least at this point in time. it's way too early for such a consideration. thompson's a lock.

Yup. Reported to camp out of shape and complaining about a nagging minor injury. Was placed on PUP list and stayed there for weeks until he was finally cleared to practice...then failed to finish his first practice due to injury. Not sure what his status is today but I watched the first half of the most recent Raider preseason game and he didn't play a snap. In fact, the only time I heard his name mentioned was when the announcers noted how the Raiders still expect him to become a starter.

Archived