Steelers Week Notes

Bill Polian: "Andy Dalton's arm is pretty close to Peyton Manning's arm."

Awesome.

A lot of us said at the end of last year that this year Dalton wouldn't have any excuses this year (including some of us who thought he was a damn fine second year QB).  The Bears game instantly answered my questions.  Sure, it's only a game, but he demonstrated arm strength, long-ball accuracy, an underneath passing game and an uber-high completion percentage.  The one thing I'd still like to see a little more of from his is using his eyes to look off targets more and scanning the field to find other open receivers.  We have to give him time on those, though, because he isn't so used to having the kind of protection he had on Sunday.

In short, I see nothing to dissuade me that he's on target to follow the mold of the very player that Gruden compared him to on the radio this afternoon:  Drew Brees.

Yes sir, I'll take that.

Awesome.

A lot of us said at the end of last year that this year Dalton wouldn't have any excuses this year (including some of us who thought he was a damn fine second year QB).  The Bears game instantly answered my questions.  Sure, it's only a game, but he demonstrated arm strength, long-ball accuracy, an underneath passing game and an uber-high completion percentage.  The one thing I'd still like to see a little more of from his is using his eyes to look off targets more and scanning the field to find other open receivers.  We have to give him time on those, though, because he isn't so used to having the kind of protection he had on Sunday.

In short, I see nothing to dissuade me that he's on target to follow the mold of the very player that Gruden compared him to on the radio this afternoon:  Drew Brees.

Yes sir, I'll take that.

So we will let him go to New Orleans in a few years?  That sucks.

So we will let him go to New Orleans in a few years?  That sucks.

Hardee har har.

Actually, I believe SD let him go to New Orleans because they drafted Rivers with a very high pick.  We won't have a very high pick because we have too much other talent on this team to fall that far.

Hardee har har.

Actually, I believe SD let him go to New Orleans because they drafted Rivers with a very high pick.  We won't have a very high pick because we have too much other talent on this team to fall that far.

That was all part of the ongoing pissing match between Marty and the GM that ended pretty badly for all concerned.  In my opinion there was no need to give up on Brees that early.  At least in the Favre/Rodgers situation, it was mostly caused by Favre going back and forth about retiring.  The SD situation was self-inflicted.

I thought Dalton played it perfectly by getting the ball out of his hand as quickly as Cutler did....hitting the first option if it was open....checking down if it wasn't....moving quickly on to the next positive play...and then the next...and then the next.

It should have been good enough, and on most weeks it would have been, regardless of opponent.

harrison130817_630.jpg
James Harrison

Updated: 9-12-13, 12:20 a.m.

Bengals cornerback Terence Newman is playing in his 150th NFL game Monday (8:40 p.m.-ESPN, Cincinnati's Channel 5) and he got there by not dwelling on losses such as last Sunday's downer in Chicago.

Asked about what happened in that one Wednesday, he responded, "What happened this past week?" Asked about some of the mental mistakes, he asked, "When?" Reminded of the personal fouls late in each half he said, "I don’t even remember that. What day did that happen? What happened? I wasn’t there. I don’t know what happened. I’m trying to figure out today’s Wednesday?

"I don’t know what you’re talking about. You guys have to help me out here. I’m a DB, I have short-term memory."

But Newman's long-term memory must be pretty good because he remembers those Monday Night games while playing with the Cowboys.

"What makes Monday night games special to me is when you’ve got to play a divisional rival and everybody gets to see that. It’s the only game on TV? Now that’s exciting," Newman said. " The nature of this being Pittsburgh-Cincinnati, I think last year and the year before the way the teams went at it, it’s definitely going to be exciting and it’s going to be a fun atmosphere.

"Playing for Dallas, I know what the divisional rivalries were like. We had our fair share of Monday night games against guys like the Giants and whatnot. So I understand exactly what’s going on with it. Last year, the Monday night game (in Baltimore), it was a good taste of what was to come."

COOK BACKS SULLIVAN:  Bengals center Kyle Cook saw Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh's cut block at the knee on John Sullivan and Cook agrees with his fellow center that it was uncalled for after an interception on which Sullivan had no shot of being a factor

Cook objects because this year's rule change designed at preventing low blocks on defensive players followed Texans linebacker Brian Cushing's torn ACL at the hands of then Jets guard Matt Slauson back in October.

"What happened with Cushing and Slauson wasn't malicious.  I don't think he meant to hurt him. It was during a play (from scrimmage). We try to take care of those things," Cook said. "This is legal and this is illegal and we're looking out for the defense. So when a defender, all for making the game safer and not wanting to get cut, and then he turns around and cuts an offensive guy, it just blows my  mind.

"'Wait, you guys have been fighting to look out after (you) and we came through and said, 'OK you can't do this now, we're getting better at understanding this,'" Cook said. "Then you go out and Sullivan is not going to make that play. No way close. There's no room for that. If we did that to the defensive line, Suh or some others would be the first to say, "That’s B.S.' I can see 100 percent where John is coming from."

Cook recalls what everyone else does. Suh stomped on a Green Bay offensive lineman a few years ago. Now he's been fined $100,000 for this. And people seem to forget how he manhandled Dalton two years ago ripping off his helmet in a preseason game, and drawing a roughing the passer penalty.

But the Bengals don't forget it. And they play Suh next month in Detroit.

"He is who he is. When he threw Andy down. Do I think he's cheap? I don't know. Or do I think he's dirty? I don't know," Cook said. "I think some of the things he does is questionable. Do I think he plays hard, aggressive, gives it his all?  Yeah. Do I like the ways he plays. Sure. Kind of.

"The stuff after the play? You don't know. Go back to the Packers. Going back to us and what happened this other game.  That's not part of it. Do I think he plays hard between the whistles? Yes. When we play him he'll have to deal with us and we'll have to deal with him.

TOMLIN ON HARRISON: Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin needed a laugh track for Wednesday's conference call with the Cincinnati media when it came to his old defensive leader and new Bengals linebacker, James Harrison, and Hard Knocks.

"I don't watch that reality television. That's Channel Zero," Tomlin said. "I know James, I don't need to watch."

Tomlin got another laugh when asked about Harrison's leadership abilities.

"He leads more by example than he does verbally. James isn't always social," Tomlin said and after the laughter died down he said, "I see you know James."

"If you do know James, you can appreciate that about him. It's less about what he says and more about what he does. That guy is a hardcore professional. The way he works. He provided a great example for the young guys around here."

Tomlin, by the way, would have nothing to do with Hard Knocks.

"Obviously that decision would be up to the Rooneys from an ownership standpoint," he said. "But I don't see the advantages of it from a personal standpoint."

SHORT TAKES: In recent seasons under coordinator Mike Zimmer, the Bengals defense gets a pair of orange "Brotherhood" shorts with a logo. This season there has been added the term HEET Swarm. As tackleGeno Atkins explains it, that stands for Heart, Effort, Execution, Technique and swarm to the ball.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Newman-forgets-Cook-remembers-Tomlin-salutes-Harrison-Short-takes/8d169d2c-6a69-487f-8d0a-55e32108cdf1?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

That was all part of the ongoing pissing match between Marty and the GM that ended pretty badly for all concerned.  In my opinion there was no need to give up on Brees that early.  At least in the Favre/Rodgers situation, it was mostly caused by Favre going back and forth about retiring.  The SD situation was self-inflicted.

Meh, Brees hurt his throwing shoulder in the last game of the season. The Chargers had way too much money invested in that position and had to make a choice. Rivers has been great at SD when surrounded by players. Unfortunately for him, that is not his current situation.

Both teams made out in that trade and watching Aaron Brooks get replaced was icing on the cake for me.

And people seem to forget how he manhandled Dalton two years ago ripping off his helmet in a preseason game, and drawing a roughing the passer penalty.

It is forgotten.     Bobbie Williams was whooping him in the run game.   Suh took a cheap shot at our QB.

Unfortunately for some on  this board instead of correctly identifying it as a cheap shot they rather grind their axe on our o-line.    Shameful.

It is forgotten.     Bobbie Williams was whooping him in the run game.   Suh took a cheap shot at our QB.

Unfortunately for some on  this board instead of correctly identifying it as a cheap shot they rather grind their axe on our o-line.    Shameful.

If I were Stafford, I would be worried. Eventually his type of play is taken out on the defenseless QB.   The guy should be banned for 4 games.  This crap is getting old.

Probably didn't help that his line was 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 sacks and only one pass deflected.

And the Kimo hit before that. Some people here still insist on blaming Steinbach for that. Stupid.

yea Old usually posts them in the gameday thread.  Nice find nonetheless, I can never find them.

On bengals,com, in the News menu, under 2013 weekly releases.  That said, it might be cool for a thread with these to be started on Wednesdays just to spice up the middle part of the week with actual numbers and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtRoZ5FWNc

Dude, Bill Polian said it, it's definitely true. 

If you look at Peyton's arm today, and compare it with Dalton's......I would imagine they're about the same.  Now, if we're talking Peyton up until 3 yrs ago, I don't think that statement remains accurate.....at all.  That would mean Polian's reaching senility.  

Arm strength is only an issue when the QB has to throw off his back foot, doesn't have time to set his feet, is on the run etc..........there are limitations with Dalton when it comes to that, no reasonable person could disagree with that but his arm is strong enough to play in the NFL.  

Meh, Brees hurt his throwing shoulder in the last game of the season. The Chargers had way too much money invested in that position and had to make a choice. Rivers has been great at SD when surrounded by players. Unfortunately for him, that is not his current situation.

Both teams made out in that trade and watching Aaron Brooks get replaced was icing on the cake for me.

Wasn't a trade. Brees was lost in FA.  I guess SD got a comp pick out of it.  My disagreement was in blowing a pick on Rivers just a couple years after using one on Brees himself.

I wish all cut blocking was outlawed.  It's a joke.

If you're trying to make the game safer, why allow linemen to dive at each other's knees?

The pouncey injury should have never happened.  Decastro should be allowed to dive at the defender (and horribly miss) in the first place.

The only thing I will say about ruling against certain things is that it opens the door to another area.    Ultimately it has to be accepted that Football is a violent game and injuries are going to occur.

The NFL has been drawn down the slippery slope.

Much like outlawing hits to the head and enforcing through fines and penalties has caused defenders to low the target zone and now Knee injuries are a concern.

You try to stop offenses from cut blocking, fine.   However,  the running backs and QBs are going to feel it.   Cut blocks are a simple way to slow a hard charging defender.

You literally are serving up QBs for dinner if you take away a RBs ability to cut a blitzing LB.   If that LB doesn't have to worry about it,  good night QB!

Archived