Steelers Week Notes Part Deux

We'd be crazy not to kick the tires on Troy if he indeed does get cut.  His durability is shaky, but he showed yesterday that theres still some gas left in the tank.

No freeking way !! Have you watched him the last 2 seasons ? One dimensional and can't cover at all. He's done

He will want way more.  Time to invest in youth at the position or a good mid 20s FA.

EDIT:  Sorry guys almost forgot, Fuck the Stealers.    What was I thinking?

Well I definitely am not advocating signing a backup to a starter contract. As I said earlier in the thread, he'd be good in a Crocker type role. If he finds a team to offer him more then by all means let that team have him.

I hope you're right and he doesn't pull a J. Joseph!

I bet he's talked to Joseph about his regrets. I think recent history is on our side. The Bengals front office uses the patriots model - they come up with a number you're worth to the team, keeping in mind that you'll need other highly paid players to accomplish the ultimate team goal, and don't budge. The team, the agent and the player all understand that there is more money to be had from some team out there that thinks this particular player could get then to the next level OR they're shitty drafters and need to overpay to field a decent team. Now for years we've scratched our heads and wondered how the patriots do it, well it's because they win in the postseason. Now the Bengals are set up to go on several years of postseason runs and I think well start seeing players opt to be a part of that rather than going for a few extra million at the signing table.

Still wish they had kept him but in retrospect, JJoe has only had one really good year with the Texans, and seems like he's declining. Leon has had some shitty injuries but been brilliant in between. 

I have to agree with you on that, Orange.   But as far as JJoe declining, how much of that is due to the team/organization he's currently playing for now, and how much of it is actual decline due to the nagging injuries?   J-Joe seemed to have a few injury issues with us also, but he did play well---ultimately was a issue of money.

Funny how the irony of his statement to leave Cincy for Houston was (to me, anyway) basically sour apples.  It seems so childish with some of his remarks on his exit.  While the Bengals are showing more like the Patriots as a franchise (without the spygate)...

Hmmmm.............

Well I definitely am not advocating signing a backup to a starter contract. As I said earlier in the thread, he'd be good in a Crocker type role. If he finds a team to offer him more then by all means let that team have him.

Yeah, some team most likely will.  Always one idiot out there thinking he can get back to his pro bowl level.

These guys are playing a little better than when we got them this season.  Bell has been a nice addition to their backfield and Antonio Brown has been putting up some good numbers.  Like any AFC North game, win the turnover battle and you likely win the game.

AJ Green needs to beat Ike up.  He's been awful this year.  If AJ poops down his leg against Ike again, we probably aren't going to have a good day.

Kirkpatrick must seize unique opportunity
December, 9, 2013
Dec 9
4:30
PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com
CINCINNATI -- This is exactly what every young professional football player dreams about when he enters the NFL; getting the opportunity to replace a proven veteran, and helping keep the team afloat until the veteran comes back.

Dre Kirkpatrick, the Cincinnati Bengals' second-year backup cornerback, is in that very position this week.

With Monday's report from ESPN's Chris Mortensen that two-time Pro Bowler Terence Newman will miss this week's game against the Steelers and possibly the two after it with an MCL sprain, Kirkpatrick's opportunity to shine has come. While the young defensive back certainly doesn't wish injury on any of his teammates, he does want them to know he can fill their shoes more than adequately.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_kirkpatrick_ps_200x300.jpg
AP Photo/David KohlCornerback Dre Kirkpatrick might get a chance to start in Week 15 against the Steelers.
If he wants to help the Bengals finish off their goals of winning out the remainder of their schedule and entering the playoffs with a high seeding, he has to seize this opportunity.

On the horizon for Kirkpatrick is an chance to prove his slowly shrinking line of naysayers and doubters wrong. It's a line that rightfully swelled following Cincinnati's preseason loss at Dallas back in August. That night, he was flagged twice for pass interference, was burned in coverage, and generally looked lost on the field. Some fans were calling for him to be cut, others were questioning whether the Bengals were smart to select the University of Alabama product with the 17th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Already they had concerns about his health, after he was forced to the injured reserve with a knee injury at the end of last season. Those concerns were exacerbated this season when a hamstring injury kept him out of the Week 3 and 4 games against Green Bay and Cleveland, respectively.

Since returning in Week 5, Kirkpatrick has gradually been given more playing time, and he has done well with it.

"We’ve got a lot of good guys on this team. We don’t have any guys that are not top-notch guys," veteran cornerback Adam Jones said. "These guys work hard in practice. Even on scout team. They make it hard for the offense. When you see those guys working hard and making interceptions [in practice] against a top-10 offense, that kind of puts it in your mind that these guys are ready to go."

Cincinnati's offense ranked 10th in the league entering Monday night's Dallas-Chicago game.

Over the past nine games, Kirkpatrick has played 100 of the 102 snaps he has totaled this season. All but one of his 12 tackles have come in that stretch, as did his first career interception. He picked off a Philip Rivers pass last week against San Diego.

Back in late October when Kirkpatrick first got on the field as veteran corner Leon Hall's replacement, defensive backs coach Mark Carrier said he was detecting positive changes in Kirkpatrick's practice habits and demeanor.

"It's amazing, and he'll be the first one to tell you that when he's healthy, he can go out there and play," Carrier said. "Everyone's time comes, and he knew his time was coming soon."

That time is here again. With the Bengals in the middle of a playoff push and missing two of their best cornerbacks, they are looking to the young player to step up and play like he's been starting the whole time. If he does, he could end up playing a vital role in assisting the Bengals' efforts in securing a first-round playoff bye and home-field advantage.

It's going to be another hard fought game vs. a division foe.  If we win convincingly by 7-10 pts it will be really impressive and speak volumes about how we'll do in the playoffs.  A loss isn't the end of the world, but will make the last gave vs. the Ravens mean more than we want it to.

It's going to be another hard fought game vs. a division foe.  If we win convincingly by 7-10 pts it will be really impressive and speak volumes about how we'll do in the playoffs.  A loss isn't the end of the world, but will make the last gave vs. the Ravens mean more than we want it to.

I hope you are wrong.  I so want a good ole fashioned Bitch slapping of these bastards in prime time so I can check it off my bucket list.  Still, a one point victory will do.

Archived