Hall eyes July return

CINCINNATI -- Most times when Leon Hall walks through the Cincinnati Bengals' locker room these days, reporters are absent. 

Wednesday was a rare exception. 

As the cornerback and his booted right foot breezed through around midday after another weekday rehab assignment, he was stopped by members of the media who hadn't talked with him since before he tore his right Achilles during in a win over the Detroit Lions two months ago. He has been on the injured reserve since and remained mostly out of sight while undergoing his second major rehabilitation in three seasons. 

Much like the last time he went through an Achilles injury, Hall is also targeting a complete return by training camp. 

"That's how I look at it," Hall said. "It's the same injury but every injury's different. I'm kind of approaching this one the same way I approached the last one as far as we're just going to rehab every day, see what happens in six months or whatever." 

Six months from now, Hall, who turned 29 on Monday, hopes to be back to running, cutting and jumping. 

In the summer of 2012, about a month before the start of that year's training camp, Hall was finishing up the comeback from his first Achilles injury; a tear to the tendon on his left foot. 

In the months that followed, he went on to have a strong 2012 season and was on pace to have an even better one in this, his seventh year in the NFL. Last season, he was credited with 38 tackles, while also intercepting two passes and breaking up a career-high eight more. This year, before the injury, he was on pace to have 48 tackles. That would have been his most since 2009. He also was on pace for a career-high 10 pass breakups. 

With respect to this particular injury, the timing couldn't have been better from the Bengals' point of view. Hall made a relatively expedient return before training camp last summer. Since this year's injury came two weeks earlier on the season calendar than the last one did, he has even more time to get healthy this go round. 

"That's true," Hall said. "My left is healed 100 percent, so I'm kind of looking at it basically with the same mindset I had on the first one." 

Hall went down during Week 9 in 2011. This latest injury came in Week 7. 

The day-by-day progression of Hall's recent rehab has gone similarly to the first one, he said. 

"Sometimes with this one you kind of go as the tendon allows you to go," Hall said. "But for the most part, it's going to be the same number of weeks I had in a cast and the same amount of weeks in this boot and so on and so forth." 

Asked to think back to the moment he tried to jump while covering the Lions' Calvin Johnson in goal-line territory, Hall said he knew right away what he had done to himself. He knew the reason he buckled and went down as the pass to Johnson fell incomplete. As he was helped back to the sideline and disgustedly sat on a bright orange Gatorade cooler, he knew his season was done. 

"I did know, unfortunately," Hall said. "The feeling felt all too familiar. 

"It was a lot going through my head. Anything from: I had a lot of family at the game, to 'Not again.' One of those deals." 

It wasn't until Hall returned to Cincinnati that night that he realized the long march to recovery was about to commence. After having gone through that process once before, he knew what to expect next; not that it made dealing with the injury any easier. 

"I kind of realized the process that it takes, which can be good and bad," Hall said. "It's good because I know what's happening, but then obviously bad because you realize you have to go through it all over again." 

What has helped Hall get through the more difficult moments this rehabilitation process has brought? The fact that his teammates have kept winning. The Bengals, playing most of the latter half of the season without not only him but also Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins, are 9-4 and have a commanding lead in the AFC North. With a high playoff seed in sight, Hall has comfort knowing they're continuing on without him. 

"When you're winning, it's not as hard because you're happy and the guys you're around every day, that you are used to being around every day, are playing well," Hall said. "So that's good."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/3809/bengals-leon-hall-training-camp-achilles-return

I hope Hall comes back, but I have my doubts.

Hall will be back starting next season. Dude is all football. There's no doubt in my mind he's 100% ready to go next year. Like he said, he's done it before, he knows what to expect. Can't wait to get him back.

Any update on Geno? Is he on target to get back before the preseason?

I miss watching them both.

Hall will be back starting next season. Dude is all football. There's no doubt in my mind he's 100% ready to go next year. Like he said, he's done it before, he knows what to expect. Can't wait to get him back.

Any update on Geno? Is he on target to get back before the preseason?

I miss watching them both.

Geno is eyeing training camp too, or at least was in early November.

And I'm eyeing a 1st round cornerback

May not need to go that high if Kirk starts to show some stuff.  Kirk, Jones, Hall and a bit of Newman plus our youngsters are ok.  Maybe some cheap FA or midround guy is all you need then.

That would let you address some other spot that early...say S, or DE, or C.

May not need to go that high if Kirk starts to show some stuff.  Kirk, Jones, Hall and a bit of Newman plus our youngsters are ok.  Maybe some cheap FA or midround guy is all you need then.

That would let you address some other spot that early...say S, or DE, or C.

you still take a corner high, even if not first round.  Jones will be 31 next year, Hall 30, Newman 36

I'm betting that Leon comes back strong. That said, I could see him transitioning to a Crocker-type role in the future, where he's playing some S, slot CB, and starting at CB in a pinch.

While you can never have enough good CBs, I do think that Ghee is the X factor there. Assuming he can get/stay on the field, I feel he can be, at the very least, in your rotation - possible nickel, dime, etc. It's interesting to me with Newman's injury that the focus is almost exclusively on Dre, because I expect/am anxious to see more of Ghee, too. He was a high pick #3, very fast (maybe their fastest corner), he's taller than most of the guys they have, and I like how he can close fast. Next year, I could see Hall (I think he will be ready by game 1, but you never know), Dre, Jones, and Ghee as your top 4, along with a high pick (not necessarily a #1, but a day 1 or 2 guy).

Newman has been very good this year - IMO he's been as consistently good as he's ever been, even when he played in Dallas and was making Pro Bowls. But at his age, who knows how much more he will have left... And who knows if Zim will be back, and it's obvious that Zim and Newman are tied together since Newman knows that Zimmer has always been able to get him to play at his highest levels.

I guess another guy who might surprise in the future is McCalebb. I was stoked when they got him as a UDFA, as he's got unreal speed and quickness. Because he's so skinny, I wonder how he will do with the physical aspect, but as far as speed, change of direction, closing ability, etc. he's got that.

I'm betting that Leon comes back strong. That said, I could see him transitioning to a Crocker-type role in the future, where he's playing some S, slot CB, and starting at CB in a pinch.

While you can never have enough good CBs, I do think that Ghee is the X factor there. Assuming he can get/stay on the field, I feel he can be, at the very least, in your rotation - possible nickel, dime, etc. It's interesting to me with Newman's injury that the focus is almost exclusively on Dre, because I expect/am anxious to see more of Ghee, too. He was a high pick #3, very fast (maybe their fastest corner), he's taller than most of the guys they have, and I like how he can close fast. Next year, I could see Hall (I think he will be ready by game 1, but you never know), Dre, Jones, and Ghee as your top 4, along with a high pick (not necessarily a #1, but a day 1 or 2 guy).

Newman has been very good this year - IMO he's been as consistently good as he's ever been, even when he played in Dallas and was making Pro Bowls. But at his age, who knows how much more he will have left... And who knows if Zim will be back, and it's obvious that Zim and Newman are tied together since Newman knows that Zimmer has always been able to get him to play at his highest levels.

I guess another guy who might surprise in the future is McCalebb. I was stoked when they got him as a UDFA, as he's got unreal speed and quickness. Because he's so skinny, I wonder how he will do with the physical aspect, but as far as speed, change of direction, closing ability, etc. he's got that.

agree, I'm really curious to see where he's at.  He's got physical skills you simply can't teach.

Hall will be fine and I see him living in the slot when he come back. It is what he was doing most of the time before he got hurt.

To replace who?  Both Nelson and Iloka are playing great ball.  I think Hall is fine in the slot even with this injury.

Iloka is average at safety. I expect Shawn Williams to take that job in a year or two.

Hall will be fine and I see him living in the slot when he come back. It is what he was doing most of the time before he got hurt.

Iloka is average at safety. I expect Shawn Williams to take that job in a year or two.

When looking at the Bengals in the Marvin era I would say the combination of Nelson and Iloka is by far the best we've seen.  And just looking at stats, the defensive success can not be put all on the dline.  This year it is all 11 guys.   

leon hall will have a long climb back, but i won't bet against him. as some might remember i did that once and he proved me wrong. to this day i still find his recovery and  the timetable of his return absolutely remarkable for a CB. this kid's got a fire that burns inside of him.

leon hall will have a long climb back, but i won't bet against him. as some might remember i did that once and he proved me wrong. to this day i still find his recovery and  the timetable of his return absolutely remarkable for a CB. this kid's got a fire that burns inside of him.

Same here.  I doubted him last time and was skeptical right after the last injury; I think I'll just wait and see this time and wish the best for him... 

Yeah Iloka hasn't stood out much to me which is a good thing. I think he's improved this year a good amount honestly. I dunno what Williams has done to make you think Iloka is gonna lose his job to him

just because of how truly good Williams is. I think Iloka is solid, but I think Shawn Williams has the talent to be a stud and he is extremely smart which they love.

Archived