So who will be the new LB coach (Matt Burke named LB Coach)

I don't know if Takeo has any desire to coach but I know his last few seasons the teams that signed him kept referring to him as a coach on the field. He has played inside and outside at a consistently high level so his knowledge of the position should be as good as anybody's. Like I said, no idea if he wants to coach but if he does I think he'd be a good one.

Ricky Hunley. Jeff Fitzgerald. Chuck Breshnahan.... Wait, how about...

Odell Thurman!

Actually, if he's available, an ex-DC like Ray Horton or Wade Phillips would be great. They're more coordinator types, but if there aren't any more of those jobs, they might take an Assistant job for a year. Hell, Hue did and he turned out OK.

Mike Singletary No Longer Doing Whatever It Was He Did

January 15, 2014, by Adam Warwas No comments yet

The Leslie Frazier era in Vikings history will be described in history books as, well… so forgettable that it probably won’t be mentioned in history books.  That’s just the truth of it.

There were some shrouds of mystery during Frazier’s tenure as head coach, however, and one of those was the decision to hire his former teammate and close friend Mike Singletary.  Singletary was a linebackers coach and special assistant to Frazier, but his contract expires at the end of January, and he said he plans to leave the team.  He may not have had a choice with a new regime settling in, but Singletary told the Pioneer Press this was going to be his decision whether or not Frazier was fired.

Singletary’s role with the Vikings often perplexed fans and the local beat writers.particularly prior to Fred Pagac’s promotion to defensive coordinator, and his unit has certainly not performed well since Pagac’s departure.

Singletary did say that he met with newly hired head coach Mike Zimmer and noted that he’s “been a good coach for a long time.”

ANOTHER ONE:

Mike Singletary is leaving the Vikings when his contract expires at the end of the month.

The hall of famer said Wednesday night that he decided last year to depart as linebackers coach when his three-year deal expired even if Leslie Frazier had remained as Minnesota's coach. He made public his decision in an interview with the Pioneer Press after Mike Zimmer had been hired as Frazier's replacement.

"I knew that this would be my last year as things were as linebackers coach," Singletary said. "It's time to move on. I just felt I had grown as much as I could here.''

Singletary starred for the Chicago Bears at middle linebacker from 1981-92. He was San Francisco's head coach from 2008-10, going 18-22.

"I can just continue climbing steps again to get to the next level,'' said Singletary, 55. "I want to be a head coach again, or hopefully a coordinator.''

With most of those jobs filled for next season, Singletary realizes he might not be in the NFL next season. He didn't rule out becoming a college head coach.

Singletary said he met Wednesday with Zimmer, formerly Cincinnati's defensive coordinator. He said Zimmer didn't talk to him about staying with Minnesota because it was understood he would be leaving.

"I congratulated him,'' Singletary said. "I think he's done a great job, and he's been a good coach for a long time. And hopefully that continues.''

Follow Chris Tomasson at twitter.com/christomasson.

I think Mike Singletary's possible landing spots are very limited. And not just because there aren't a million vacancies. It's easy to see how a young head coach and/or coordinator would be very VERY intimidated. Mike Singletary is not just "some guy who used to play in the NFL".

The more I think about it, the less I think he's a viable option for the Bengals. Paul Guenther's going to have a lot on his plate already, asking him to stroke the ego of an assistant with Singletary's track record might be too much. I doubt seriously that Singletary is the easiest guy in the world to get along with...

Archived