NFL Network reports Michael Johnson not signing with Bengals

Honestly, I don't think they need to do anything differently. It's the NFL playoffs, anything can happen and all the teams are good. A 2 game playoff sample (only one of which they "should have won") is nowhere near enough evidence to say that this model has no chance of success. 

That's true. I guess the level of their play as a team has so thoroughly disgusted me that I am probably letting the recency of those games color my judgement too much.

Huh.......is this true??  Or is it because we now have a way fit him in the salary cap?    Come to think of it, how far below the cap were we before the increase from 123 million to roughly 130 million?

We weren't cap crushed when we paid him 11 million last year.  

We weren't cap crushed when we paid him 11 million last year.  

Clearly you're not factoring in the injury/settlement millions we must set aside each season into your cash-strappedness calculation.  :ninja:

Due to that as well as the yearly $10M rollover to sign future stars, we'll be digging under the couch cushions to pay our salaries this season, even with the extra $7M salary cap bump.  :sport27:

Paul Daugherty: #Bengals Will Re-Sign Michael Johnson; Says it's Impossible to Replace Him http://sbn.to/1nQoc0N 

I really hate when teams say that kind of thing, it lets the players agent say "oh well its impossible to replace him, lets define that in dollars".... just say we want him back and will peruse it, don't talk in absolutes

I really hate when teams say that kind of thing, it lets the players agent say "oh well its impossible to replace him, lets define that in dollars".... just say we want him back and will peruse it, don't talk in absolutes

Yeah that's just Daugherty's opinion though, not the team's.  There's no f'in way Marv, Katie and co. would be quoted in absolutes.  The outlook is likely closer to "cloudy with a chance of meatballs".

Yeah that's just Daugherty's opinion though, not the team's.  There's no f'in way Marv, Katie and co. would be quoted in absolutes.  The outlook is likely closer to "cloudy with a chance of meatballs".

Video is blocked here at work, the way that read it sounds like the team said it, what was Doc saying that made it on him?

Could be a different high priced player is leaving.  Do we really need two high end TEs if the plan is to start running the ball more?  Jones, AJ, Sanu, Hawkins, Eifert and Gio are a lot of targets already.  Do we have enough balls to pass around to include Gresham at his 2014 cap if the plan is to run more?  Would it make more sense to get a road grader TE to complement a much cheaper Eifert?

There is $4.8 mil in cap space there and I bet there are plenty of teams we could find to buy him.   Not in any way shape or form what I want to happen, just thinking out loud.

Could be a different high priced player is leaving.  Do we really need two high end TEs if the plan is to start running the ball more?  Jones, AJ, Sanu, Hawkins, Eifert and Gio are a lot of targets already.  Do we have enough balls to pass around to include Gresham at his 2014 cap if the plan is to run more?  Would it make more sense to get a road grader TE to complement a much cheaper Eifert?

There is $4.8 mil in cap space there and I bet there are plenty of teams we could find to buy him.   Not in any way shape or form what I want to happen, just thinking out loud.

I hope that Gresham Stays. he is an exceptional talent who needs a fire lit under him to maximize his talent. I think Hue may be the guy to get the best out of him.

So we played half the games this year without Atkins and finished higher in total defense then the 9 weeks he was here...but Peko is over the hill and should be cut to save money?  Is Brandon Thompson or Margus Hunt the reason shit didn't fall apart along the line when the best DT in the league went down?

Peko should get an extension, and perhaps use it to pay for head examinations for some of you.

MJ is worth less than Dunlap at this point.  If we can't sign him for less than that, let someone else pay him 10 mill a year (or 2.8 mil per sack).

If the DE isn't getting to the QB when we need a fucking sack to stop the bleeding, he's not worth the money.  We gave Atkins and Dunlap money, the next DL to get paid shouldn't be good run defender who bats down balls from time to time.

I hope that Gresham Stays. he is an exceptional talent who needs a fire lit under him to maximize his talent. I think Hue may be the guy to get the best out of him.

Yes.  He can be absolutely dominant with the ball in his hands.  I love watching him truck DBs.  Maybe he should hang out with Justin Jackson and get a "Mean Face".

jackson-mean-face-two.jpg

So we played half the games this year without Atkins and finished higher in total defense then the 9 weeks he was here...but Peko is over the hill and should be cut to save money?  Is Brandon Thompson or Margus Hunt the reason shit didn't fall apart along the line when the best DT in the league went down?

Peko should get an extension, and perhaps use it to pay for head examinations for some of you.

MJ is worth less than Dunlap at this point.  If we can't sign him for less than that, let someone else pay him 10 mill a year (or 2.8 mil per sack).

If the DE isn't getting to the QB when we need a fucking sack to stop the bleeding, he's not worth the money.  We gave Atkins and Dunlap money, the next DL to get paid shouldn't be good run defender who bats down balls from time to time.

I wouldn't bother comparing stats that we compile against completely different teams, as they don't add up to a thing.

However, I wouldn't argue with you at all about MJ.  In all of my hypotheticals of players  we might cut I simply suggest looking at production versus value.  MJ has a lot more production than show up in the stat line, but I still don't think he's worth much more than $5-6 M/year for the reasons you mention.  On the other hand, he's solid, and the team may decide that sticking with the devil you know opens up the draft for them a bit more, which I'm always a proponent of.  I also happen not to be terribly enamored of many of the early round DE's, so that helps...

Yes.  He can be absolutely dominant with the ball in his hands.  I love watching him truck DBs.  Maybe he should hang out with Justin Jackson and get a "Mean Face".

The problem is how do you a game plan with a guy that plays all world one game and all-disinterested the next? You never know what you are going to get with him (besides one penalty a game) and that has to drive the coaches crazy. He's had plenty of time to to "get a fire lit under him" and he hasn't been able to do it consistently. The guy is mostly a waste of his immense talent.

Honestly, I don't think they need to do anything differently. It's the NFL playoffs, anything can happen and all the teams are good. A 2 game playoff sample (only one of which they "should have won") is nowhere near enough evidence to say that this model has no chance of success. 

I know that first game against Houston, there was no way a rookie QB was going to go into that place and win against the # 2 defense on top of that we has bubba and simpson as our comp WR to a rookie WR

looks more like Grumpy Cat

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5238c9c5ecad047f12b2751a/internet-famous-grumpy-cat-just-landed-an-endorsement-deal-with-friskies.jpg

Cutting Peko is a horrible idea. 

Well, we have Thompson available who played decently last season. He's Peko's natural heir so it would be a matter of finding a backup NT rather than a starter. Domata is going into the last year of his contract and has been in decline for several years. He's a good locker room presence but that isn't worth 4 mil per year. It's been a couple years since we added a DT so it's probably time to do so again in 2014. If we waited til 2015 Peko would be out of contract and Thompson and Still would be going into the last year of their deals.

As Branch Rickey put it, better to move a player on a year early than a year late. So DT is a need, it's just a matter of balancing that need vs others.

Clearly you're not factoring in the injury/settlement millions we must set aside each season into your cash-strappedness calculation.  :ninja:

Due to that as well as the yearly $10M rollover to sign future stars, we'll be digging under the couch cushions to pay our salaries this season, even with the extra $7M salary cap bump.  :sport27:

Geoff is that you

NFL Writer Tom Pelissero reporting that there is buzz growing MJ93 could end up in Minny.

Think we all know that, but figured I'd pass it on.  He would likely cost more than both Griffin and Allen, though so its a bit of a head-scratcher to me.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/437293073693818880

Nice.. Like this "buzz" isn't the same speculation that's been going on since Zimmer took the job. Helluva scoop, there, Jimmy Olsen.

Archived