The bengals were the 2-14 bengals before they became the 8-8 bengals and then the 11-5 bengals.

Point being, the browns have the talent to turn it around. A favorable schedule. Eventually they are going to get a quarterback and be right up there with us. The odds of missing 20 straight times arent very good.

Id love nothing more than them wallowing in misery forever, but they are a few pieces from being in playoff contention, at least until they fall into cap hell.
The bengals were the 2-14 bengals before they became the 8-8 bengals and then the 11-5 bengals.

Point being, the browns have the talent to turn it around. A favorable schedule. Eventually they are going to get a quarterback and be right up there with us. The odds of missing 20 straight times arent very good.

Id love nothing more than them wallowing in misery forever, but they are a few pieces from being in playoff contention, at least until they fall into cap hell.

can't see it.  They've got two high priced OT's already in Long and Saffold that have only just signed their deals within the last year.

True....though the Saffold situation is a little puzzling.   I'd love for them to take Watkins, they need help on offense.  Keep him away from Cleveland.

So.........what you're saying is..........the Browns will win this year's SB?   

The Browns don't have a quarterback. Hoyer is a scrub.

That scrub beat us last year and had a 103.9 rating doing so....

I'm not saying he's the answer, but he certainly looked like a good option before he got hurt.

The odds of missing 19 straight times probably wasn't very good either.

So.........what you're saying is..........the Browns will win this year's SB?   

Yes I predict the Browns will be the sleeper this team and make a Super Bowl run.  Ergo, they will go 6-10 and suck.

I know you guys are just throwing out jokes about their futility because it's amazingly horrible but the reality is that past performance really has no bearing in what they do now.

New coach, GM, etc. so they really only need to get it right ONCE at QB. Their team is not that far off from being relevant in my opinion. They've got tons of cap space (still) and have some quality players. If the new GM does well in this draft, watch out.

PS- I hate the browns (and all division opponents) with a passion. I'm just being a realist here....

I know you guys are just throwing out jokes about their futility because it's amazingly horrible but the reality is that past performance really has no bearing in what they do now.

New coach, GM, etc. so they really only need to get it right ONCE at QB. Their team is not that far off from being relevant in my opinion. They've got tons of cap space (still) and have some quality players. If the new GM does well in this draft, watch out.

PS- I hate the browns (and all division opponents) with a passion. I'm just being a realist here....

Nobody is disagreeing with you but they still have the one serious position they have yet to replace: Owner.

I'm not sold Ealy is a first round pick anyway.

Early draft buzz was he could play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Latest buzz is he's strictly a 4-3 DE has no value whatsoever to 3-4 teams because he's too big, and plays too high, to provide the needed bend around the edge. Further, Brian Baldinger said that after he conducted a very positive interview of Ealy he was contacted by insiders who say Ealy may not have the pure power and strength needed at DE in some 4-3 defenses. As a result Ealy was said to be a near perfect prospect for a very limited number of teams, and a tweener to the rest. Baldinger later speculated that opinions about Ealy differed so much that he could by drafted from the mid-1st round to early 3rd. 

I'd take Cooks for sure. He gives you a lot as an inside/outside guy and as a returner. Tremendous player. Odell Beckham, too.  

I do think this is a great year to trade down given the depth of the draft, and the likelihood that some team might want to jump up ahead of Cleveland and get a QB (if they didn't take one at #4), or teams early in round 2 looking to trade up and get a QB. Of course, it depends who's available at #24, but I see it as a distinct possibility. 

I think it's just as likely that a team drafting after #24...(New Orleans, Carolina, New England, San Francisco, Denver)....will want to move up to take one of the WR's.

They then have to keep Pitt or Baltimore from putting that QB on the disabled list for them.  This they have failed to do repeatedly in the past.

They then have to keep Pitt or Baltimore from putting that QB on the disabled list for them.  This they have failed to do repeatedly in the past.

Particularly the Stoolers, who would probably have to gather around the QB and stab him repeatedly with screwdrivers before the league would step in and do something.

Particularly the Stoolers, who would probably have to gather around the QB and stab him repeatedly with screwdrivers before the league would step in and do something.

Like hand them more screwdrivers?

LOL at the NFL cracking down on those thugs.

The larger problem, at least as I see it, is that the constant turnover and "rebuilding" has created a culture of mercenaries that are happy to just cash their checks and try not to get hurt.  Couple that history of instability with an owner that has the threat of a huge federal fraud indictment hanging over his head & you have a team that probably doesn't give much of a shit about anything.

The larger problem, at least as I see it, is that the constant turnover and "rebuilding" has created a culture of mercenaries that are happy to just cash their checks and try not to get hurt.  Couple that history of instability with an owner that has the threat of a huge federal fraud indictment hanging over his head & you have a team that probably doesn't give much of a shit about anything.

Good point. Installing a winning culture is really tough. 

One of the underrated things that Marvin did was bringing in a bunch of short term vets his first 2 years to at least get the team back to respectability and instill a bit of confidence. Sure, those 8-8 teams were nothing special. But at the time, that was a huge step forward for our franchise. And that helped build the foundation for some success in 2005-06. It quickly fell apart due to some killer injuries (Pollack, Perry, Irons, Levi, Willie, Braham, Palmer, etc.) and some bad draft decisions (Odell Thurman and others). But even then, there was still a bit of a culture here that the team could compete with Pitt, Baltimore, etc. and it wasn't just this indeterminate rebuild situation.

Cleveland likely needs to at least have a couple 8-8 type seasons before they really start competing for division titles. Usually takes some time to learn how to win and build that culture.

Bengal Quick Takes: A few draft-day trends
May, 2, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Good morning, my friends. This promises to be a busy Friday on the Cincinnati Bengals blog. So let's get it started:

1. Tracking Bengals draft trends: You know all too well that this time next Friday you will be reading and watching more first-round draft breakdowns than you can comprehend. You will know who the Bengals picked at No. 24, whether Teddy Bridgewater slid as far as some analysts predicted, and whether the Falcons or another team worked a trade with Houston for the No. 1 overall pick. You will also know whether the Bengals picked a player at a position that doesn't line up with their recent first-round trends.

2. No DEs, one RB, one QB: I'm talking about the Bengals' draft-day trends since Marvin Lewis was named head coach in 2003. It is because he has helped head the team's draft and scouting efforts that we can track organizational draft trends. In the first round, the Bengals have focused on taking offensive linemen, tight ends, receivers and defensive backs. Only once have they drafted in the first round at the big-money position, quarterback. Carson Palmer's selection at No. 1 overall in 2003 happened because Lewis needed the position stabilized for his new regime. The next closest the Bengals came to taking a first-round quarterback was in 2011 when Andy Dalton was taken 35th overall. Once again, the Bengals were ready to make a change at the position. They aren't ready to do so this year, even if a good enough quarterback (like Bridgewater) falls to them at No. 24. Under Lewis, the Bengals have generally avoided quarterbacks, running backs and defensive ends in the first round. Only once did the Bengals go for a running back in the first round, and it ended horribly. Chris Perry (2004 draft) started just nine games in his four-year career.

3. More on defensive ends: In 11 drafts under Lewis, the Bengals haven't pulled the trigger on a defensive end in the first round. Lately, they have dipped into the second round to make those choices, taking Margus Hunt at 53rd overall last year and Carlos Dunlap at 54th overall in 2010. Michael Johnson (2009) and Frostee Rucker (2006) were third-round selections. So it seems doubtful they would select a defensive end with their first-round selection next week. But they do need an end for depth and to help replace Johnson, who signed with Tampa Bay in March. Several mock drafts have the Bengals taking defensive ends Kony Ealy (Missouri) or Scott Crichton (Oregon State) at No. 24. History says it's much more likely the Bengals address a need in the secondary. Since 2003, the Bengals have used three first-round picks on defensive backs.

4. Vontaze Burfict's motivation: We've discussed it before, but the linebacker is an example of why all the mock drafts and pre-draft chatter are meaningless. The year he entered the draft, Burfict was criticized for his off-field behavior by scouts and draft insiders to the point that he went from having an early round grade to going completely undrafted. It didn't help that he performed poorly at the scouting combine after showing up overweight and slow. He signed with the Bengals in May 2012 just looking for a chance to compete. Injuries at linebacker forced him into action early that season, and he led the team in tackles. Then last season he led the league in tackles, earning a trip to the Pro Bowl, where he delivered an interception. Burfict's plight was documented in this interesting read from CBS Sports' Gregg Doyel on Thursday. So when you wonder why the Bengals didn't draft so-and-so or settled on seven rounds of players who maybe you didn't previously like, just think about Burfict. Do the same when the Bengals and other teams announce their undrafted signings. Maybe there are more Burficts to come.

5. Bengals mailbag: It's Friday, so it's time to submit your questions for our weekly Bengals mailbag. You can do so on Twitter by sending your inquiry to me @ColeyHarvey with the hashtag #BengalsMail. We'll get your questions answered here Saturday morning. So tweet

Under Lewis, the Bengals have generally avoided quarterbacks, running backs and defensive ends in the first round. Only once did the Bengals go for a running back in the first round, and it ended horribly. Chris Perry (2004 draft) started just nine games in his four-year career.

In 11 drafts under Lewis, the Bengals haven't pulled the trigger on a defensive end in the first round. Lately, they have dipped into the second round to make those choices, taking Margus Hunt at 53rd overall last year and Carlos Dunlap at 54th overall in 2010. Michael Johnson (2009) and Frostee Rucker (2006) were third-round selections. So it seems doubtful they would select a defensive end with their first-round selection next week.

I can't see them going QB, RB or DE this year either.  Even with a slide, there's really no DE at 24 I consider a huge value.

But there is value if a CB, OL or even S slides. 

I can't see them going QB, RB or DE this year either.  Even with a slide, there's really no DE at 24 I consider a huge value.

But there is value if a CB, OL or even S slides. 

There is really only 1 first round DE.  And he will be gone in the first 2 picks.

Thought this was interesting:

Kony Ealy - DL - Tigers

Some teams want Missouri DL Kony Ealy to add 15 pounds and play DT, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

It makes sense, as Ealy "wins" from the inside thanks to his change of direction ability and tendency to be heavier footed offensive linemen laterally. Ealy posted a very good 3-cone time at the Combine, best of the DL group, but he lacks hand and leg drive on contact. Teams could view Ealy as the next best three technique behind Aaron Donald.

Thought this was interesting:

Kony Ealy - DL - Tigers

Some teams want Missouri DL Kony Ealy to add 15 pounds and play DT, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

It makes sense, as Ealy "wins" from the inside thanks to his change of direction ability and tendency to be heavier footed offensive linemen laterally. Ealy posted a very good 3-cone time at the Combine, best of the DL group, but he lacks hand and leg drive on contact. Teams could view Ealy as the next best three technique behind Aaron Donald.

always what I felt about another Missouri alum too, Justin Smith.

Give the browns sammy watkins along with josh gordon and we r fucked

Unless those 2 are going to play at least 3 different spots on the offensive line as well as RB while throwing themselves the ball.. oh, and also playing defense.. Not so much.  I mean, you do realize all the other teams get to draft new players, too, right?

Archived