Might Martin go in the first?

@RapSheet: The list of 30 players attending the draft in NYC has been updated. #FSU DT Timmy Jernigan is out, #USC C Marcus Martin (USC) is in.

the last few years they've been asking more than just first round prospects.  They want guys in the green room for the 2nd round as well.

The rumor of the day is that the Bengals will consider Bridgewater if he is still there at 24. I wouldn't be upset with that move at all.

I saw that and can't decide what to think...

1. They would take Bridgewater at 24 if he's there.

2. They want other teams to think they'd take Bridgewater at 24 when they actually wouldn't.

3. They want to put it out there so maybe Dalton's side will work harder at a pre-draft contract.

4. Something

5. Profit!

Can I haz a link?  This kind of intrigues me..

NVM on rotoworld courtesy of Mort.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater is "in discussion" for the Bengals as a "fallback option" at No. 24 overall.

Despite cornerback and defensive line needs, Bridgewater may be too valuable for Cincy to pass up at 24, especially considering the uncertain future of Andy Dalton. The Bengals have shown no urgency in working out a long-term deal with Dalton entering his contract year. They're clearly unconvinced Dalton is their future at quarterback. If they draft Bridgewater, he could challenge Dalton in 2014 training camp and take over for Dalton if the Bengals chose not to extend him next year. It would be a surprise move, but not a complete shock.

Of course, this could be a huge smokescreen to get someone to trade up past Cincy and Cleveland to grab Bridgewater.  Have our coaches even met with Teddy?  

I know they only met with Eifert once last year, but they at least met with him.

Marvin Lewis has already said they will not take a QB in Round 1. I call shenanigans on this Mortenson tidbit about Teddy Bridgewater. It could be some pre-draft gambit, but when have the Bengals ever indulged in such stuff? Actually taking Bridgewater at 24 would be, at best, a shitty move.

Marvin Lewis has already said they will not take a QB in Round 1. I call shenanigans on this Mortenson tidbit about Teddy Bridgewater. It could be some pre-draft gambit, but when have the Bengals ever indulged in such stuff? Actually taking Bridgewater at 24 would be, at best, a shitty move.

Yeah, I would be stunned if it happened.  Then again I seriously doubt they were even considering Eifert until it was our turn to pick.   I guess it depends on their strategy and who they have on their board.

I had posted earlier in this thread, page 15 or so, that I don't like the idea of a QB before round 3 but that I might make an exception for Bridgewater because I really like him. It would be a pretty crazy move with lots of potential to backfire. But if they feel like Bridgewater has "it" then maybe you take the huge gamble on him.

In terms of CB, if you do replace Andy with Teddy and save $15M a year, it is pretty easy to go buy a CB. Revis is on a 1 year deal in NE (basically) and he would be cheaper than $15M next offseason as just 1 example...

Seems like a smoke screen. Doesn't make sense to spend a first on a guy when you have repeatedly said Andy is your guy.

Maybe the statements that Andy is their guy were the smokescreen and this is the real stuff...

I don't actually believe that. I think they are just doing their due diligence on everybody and trying to stick to their board. I suspect they have Bridgewater ranked as a top 10 overall guy. But they probably have some other guys who could potentially fall to 24 ranked similarly. The question becomes, what happens if your top 18 guys are all gone except Bridgewater (who you have ranked 8th let's say), then what do you do? Go with your 19th ranked guy at a different position or go with the QB who you really like?

Very tough call and I'm not sure what the answer is. But I am glad the Bengals are at least having serious discussions about it. If that scenario plays out, the decision they make will be a potentially make or break one for the franchise going forward. 

And I'm not going to lie, I have a little secret rooting interest here. I am watching the draft up in Cleveland with a bunch of my friends who are huge Browns fans. For pretty much every one of them, their dream draft is Sammy Watkins at 4 and Bridgewater at 26.

A small part of me wants to see the Bengals take Teddy at 24 just for the pure misery that will cause them. They will be getting more and more excited every pick that goes by with Bridgewater not being taken. They will think they are almost there and then the Bengals drop the soul crush on them.

I also do by the theory that this is potentially a smokescreen. I think the Bengals are way more into the idea of trading down this year than they are normally. Playing like you will just take the QB yourself is a good way to maybe drive up the asking price a bit for Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Houston, and the other teams picking at the top of the 2nd. Especially with the Browns looming at 26, the Bengals at 24 could be the main trade up option for teams looking to hop ahead of them.

Could be put out there to potentially get Dalton to sign a deal as well..

the most likely answer. 

The Bengals float the rumor, hoping it urges the Dalton camp to sign.  Because the Dalton Camp knows the reality.  If the Bengals take a first round QB, he's not getting a new deal in Cincinnati, no matter how small the salary is.

And I'm not going to lie, I have a little secret rooting interest here. I am watching the draft up in Cleveland with a bunch of my friends who are huge Browns fans. For pretty much every one of them, their dream draft is Sammy Watkins at 4 and Bridgewater at 26.

A small part of me wants to see the Bengals take Teddy at 24 just for the pure misery that will cause them. They will be getting more and more excited every pick that goes by with Bridgewater not being taken. They will think they are almost there and then the Bengals drop the soul crush on them.

I also do by the theory that this is potentially a smokescreen. I think the Bengals are way more into the idea of trading down this year than they are normally. Playing like you will just take the QB yourself is a good way to maybe drive up the asking price a bit for Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Houston, and the other teams picking at the top of the 2nd. Especially with the Browns looming at 26, the Bengals at 24 could be the main trade up option for teams looking to hop ahead of them.

I think if Bridgewater is still there at 24 and the Browns haven't taken a QB yet teams who skipped QB in the top 10 will be scrambling to trade up to get him. I think someone trades ahead of us though and takes whichever QB, Carr or Bridgewater, falls. Most likely Cleveland and I think for Carr.

Probably someone with the Chiefs who wants someone to trade up to the

the most likely answer. 

The Bengals float the rumor, hoping it urges the Dalton camp to sign.  Because the Dalton Camp knows the reality.  If the Bengals take a first round QB, he's not getting a new deal in Cincinnati, no matter how small the salary is.

Or, someone with the Chiefs hoping they can move back with someone who wants Bridgewater at  23 ...

Archived