• DE Trent Murphy, Stanford
    • CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    • RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
    • RB Tre Mason, Auburn
    • OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
    • S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
    • Other (Name them)

Who are your top 3 for the 24th pick?

I combined the rankings of CBS, ESPN Scouts Inc, Daniel Jeremiah from NFL.com, Kiper/McShay (what I could find without paying) and NFL Draft Countdown to come up with these rankings. I started at the 17th rated prospect and planned on listing 20 prospects minus QB, WR and TE but I could only do 19 since I wanted to add the "not named" option.

My top 3:

1. OT/OG Zack Martin, Notre Dame

2. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State

3. DE Kony Ealy, Missouri

based on who I think will realistically be there (ie not Donald, Dennard, Gilbert, etc...)

1. OL Zack Martin - considered an instant starter at any position on the oline

2. CB Kyle Fuller - severely underrated IMO.  Simply a playmaker, reminds you a lot of Leon Hall

3.  DL Ra'Shede Hagemann - elite caliber athlete who needs polished.  Has the frame to line up either at DT or DE.  A guy who can be a monster in a year, but doesn't need to be relied on to be one right away.

I limited my votes to guys I think likely to be there, so Martin, Pryor, and Hasean did not get my vote.

I went with Roby, Shazier, and Verrett as who I think would be the possible best options for us at 24.

I went with...

Zack Martin

Kyle Fuller

Tim Jernigan - not sure he'll be there but if they got him that gives you the flexibility to give Still some snaps at DE, and he and Geno would be an awesome combo, along with Peko and Brandon Thompson. He gives you more penetration up the middle, which when Geno got hurt was sorely lacking. 

Gotta go with Ha-HA.   I just want to get a Jersey that says Ha Ha on it.  Truth be told unless Williams is doing very well (I have no idea) we could use a playmaker at safety.

Martin is next just because Whit is nearing useful life.  If he could play guard from day one, I like the idea of grooming Whit's replacement whle getting this guy NFL snaps.

Chose Roby 3rd.  Again, the brain trust has a much better idea of Hall's status and feel for Dre but I can't believe Newman can continue to basically be Superman at his advanced age.

Martin

Ealy

Verrett

This was my 3 also. 

Ealy #1, Martin #2 and then Verrett as the 3rd. 

I also really considered some of the other D Linemen (Tuitt, Hageman, Ford, etc.) instead of Verrett because I like the DB depth in the draft, but not 100% sold on any of those guys as fits for what we do. 

This was my 3 also. 

Ealy #1, Martin #2 and then Verrett as the 3rd. 

I also really considered some of the other D Linemen (Tuitt, Hageman, Ford, etc.) instead of Verrett because I like the DB depth in the draft, but not 100% sold on any of those guys as fits for what we do. 

Similar to me, but I had Jernigan instead of Ealy.

Can someone enlighten me what makes Ealy so special, and why he would be a good fit. I don't see that he's any better than Scott Crichton in round 2.

Can someone enlighten me what makes Ealy so special, and why he would be a good fit. I don't see that he's any better than Scott Crichton in round 2.

Ealy has prototype size, is a good athlete and was very productive in the SEC. He has tremendous upside. What's not to like?

I like Crichton but to my eyes he doesn't have nearly the upside Ealy does, nor does he have the versatility.

Starting with versatility, to my eyes Kony is both bigger, faster, and more flexible than Crichton....whose greatest asset is strength and power. By comparision, Ealy has routinely lined up at DE, DT, and at OLB, prompting me to lovingly dub him as.....3-way Kony. (No groaning.) And that ability to play multiple positions is something the Bengals seem to place a high value upon. Further, I think Kony is one of the few players who can match Crichton in regards to work ethic and motor. As a result I can very easily envision Ealy being used as a situation pass rusher while he gets his feet wet before transforming into a true 3-down DE.

With Crichton I think it's mostly what you see now is what you'll get later. Or if you prefer, I think he's pretty close to being a finished product. And there's the rub because if a coaching staff can get Kony to play lower more consistently I think his upside is much much higher.

Last, I've got nothing bad to say about Jernigan, but I don't think he'll be there at #24.

Archived