Moderators, New/Old Etc. Going forward. - Opinions...

Also: I think we should re-open the moderator sub forum (if it's on here I'm not seeing it) so we as moderators can privately discuss issues about the board...for instance when there's borderline calls on behavior, etc.

I promise to do the best I can and be as fair as humanly possible. 

I also agree with Backer that the J&D forum should be moderated the same as the football forum.. I don't care how serious the subject matter, if you can't be civil you have no business discussing it in an open forum.

Obviously the first step is to decide exactly what "not being civil" entails.. I don't think anyone has the desire to make this place PG, and as always posters will need to wear a thick skin, but straight up personal attacks and demeaning remarks need to be kept in check.

Also: I think we should re-open the moderator sub forum (if it's on here I'm not seeing it) so we as moderators can privately discuss issues about the board...for instance when there's borderline calls on behavior, etc.

This is also a good idea.

I am in total agreement with Bung and Lucid, and I will also now have to take everyone that I had on ignore off of ignore! I also give my word to be impartial and fair. I would also ask for feedback from everyone, constructively of course. This board will only be as good as we make it, and we all want this to be the best board around like it has been for years.

oldschooler and anyone else who has stopped posting or has left...I implore you to give this place another chance as your input, dedication, and hard work is invaluable... and we're a better board with you here.

Thanks

I also agree with Backer that the J&D forum should be moderated the same as the football forum.. I don't care how serious the subject matter, if you can't be civil you have no business discussing it in an open forum.

Obviously the first step is to decide exactly what "not being civil" entails.. I don't think anyone has the desire to make this place PG, and as always posters will need to wear a thick skin, but straight up personal attacks and demeaning remarks need to be kept in check.

I agree about J&D in principle, but if that's going to happen there, then I do still think we need a no-holds barred forum where people can say whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't delve into extremely personal attacks or threats. Calling someone names, citing posts that someone considers stupid, making fun....all fair game. Civility goes out the window in that forum. That way, that kind of behavior is forced to stay in that one place and won't be tolerated elsewhere on the board. So, people that are so inclined to get their feet wet there and have thick skin can wade into the deep end of 4-chan-ish content, and those that don't care to can simply avoid the forum entirely and still enjoy every other aspect of the site.

I agree about J&D in principle, but if that's going to happen there, then I do still think we need a no-holds barred forum where people can say whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't delve into extremely personal attacks or threats. Calling someone names, citing posts that someone considers stupid, making fun....all fair game. Civility goes out the window in that forum. That way, that kind of behavior is forced to stay in that one place and won't be tolerated elsewhere on the board. So, people that are so inclined to get their feet wet there and have thick skin can wade into the deep end of 4-chan-ish content, and those that don't care to can simply avoid the forum entirely and still enjoy every other aspect of the site.

Good points Bung...

FWIW...I have seen these type forums on other boards. Most peter out quickly, because nobody goes in them other than the combatants. They are effective though, in a strange sort of way...main forum attacking seems to go down.

TBH...who really gives a shit about "civility" in J&D? In the D area especially, it is a non sequitur. I rarely go there, but if I did, I would fully expect to have vicious opposition to my views. It is the nature of the beast. Leave it be, if you want one man's $.02.

FWIW...I have seen these type forums on other boards. Most peter out quickly, because nobody goes in them other than the combatants. They are effective though, in a strange sort of way...main forum attacking seems to go down.
TBH...who really gives a shit about "civility" in J&D? In the D area especially, it is a non sequitur. I rarely go there, but if I did, I would fully expect to have vicious opposition to my views. It is the nature of the beast. Leave it be, if you want one man's $.02.

I think it's one think to have opposition to views. Another to be calld a racist or idiot etc.

The danger is that hard feelings from J&D and other 'say anything' forums can leak out into the main forums if you don't watch out.  Person X can be mad at someone from there, and trash his Bengals post a while later because that guy is the one who wrote it.

I think that stuff is bound to seep into the main forums.

Not when effectively, and severely moderated.

I think it's one think to have opposition to views. Another to be calld a racist or idiot etc.

True, but in that type of forum, if you can't take it, then don't view the pages on that forum...even when it's you they're talking about. The same rules of bringing a logical argument still apply, you just have incredible leeway to use language directed at a fellow poster that you would not have in the other forums. It's really simple. Moderation is the key to keeping it in that one place.

The danger is that hard feelings from J&D and other 'say anything' forums can leak out into the main forums if you don't watch out.  Person X can be mad at someone from there, and trash his Bengals post a while later because that guy is the one who wrote it.

Yes, but...well, tough shit. Most reasonable people will not take you to task in a "Pit" style forum unless you are stupid, lie, misrepresent, whatever. If you do those things you get what you deserve. If you didn't and someone Pits you anyway, then they are the ones with the issue and the rest of the community's reasonable people will pounce on them and their stupidity instead.

What would Jim Henson think? For shame, Akili! Now I'm picturing a giant flapping pink vagina muppet with googly eyes on Sesame Street talking to Oscar the Grouch, whom in turn is trying to lure Ms Cuntmuppet into his trash can for some heroin and illicit sex. Not cool man...not cool.

Problem is the bad blood bleeds over into other forums

I've followed this thread with interest and as I read through the last few pages, with a bit of amusement.

I suggest completely closing down the J&D forum. If I remember correctly, Go broke that off into a separate forum out of the General Discussion forum way back when Iraq War II was kicking into high gear. At that time many folks had definite opinions about the nature of that conflict which led to corresponding levels of high dander. That, imo, set the tone for that forum overall. As Le Tigre suggests, "it's the nature of the beast" for politics to be no-holds barred. And that's the way it ought to be if one is serious about having any kind of impact on the world politically. As anyone who has done actual politics knows, whatever civility one finds in political strife is merely a thin veneer overlaying pretty brutal contention for acquiring and imposing power. Not to say that civility is totally fraudulent because  it does help to prevent overt violence in that sphere. Of course, the downside to enforced civility is that one often has to pretend that the views of others are legitimate when deep inside one's soul, a person knows that the other person is full of shit--or worse. The content of one's character matters and one's character is fully put on display when political discussions happen.

The goal here is to restore this board to its previously excellent status. And if the enforcement of civility is deemed to be a significant component of that restoration, then it is probably best to return to an emphasis on the General Discussion forum for non-sports related topics. Discussion of politics and religion ought to be discouraged altogether. Civility is an artificial construct--it's a set of rules by which conforming members agree to abide. It's about presentation. That's a good thing and will no doubt be helpful on this board. On the other hand, there is a deeper personal element to political activity and discussion that goes beyond civility. One's views are measured and respect is the earned (or not-earned) commodity, distinct from civility. And respect is not the result of presentation, but of representation--what a person stands for and why. There will always be disagreement among folks when one starts getting into stuff that is inherently divisive. And that appears to be an opposite direction that what is good for the overall functioning of this board.

So, if my vote counts, kill J&D. Let us all be Bengal brothers and sisters and focus on that.

Fwiw homer should be a mod

For some, that idea would go over like a lead balloon. But that does remind me of another project I'm considering. Now that I've rededicated myself to playing guitar with an emphasis on country blues, I was think of creating a band which modernizes and electrifies some of those old blues tunes. Cool be a really cool thing. Lead Balloon would be a good name for the group.

I've followed this thread with interest and as I read through the last few pages, with a bit of amusement.

I suggest completely closing down the J&D forum. If I remember correctly, Go broke that off into a separate forum out of the General Discussion forum way back when Iraq War II was kicking into high gear. At that time many folks had definite opinions about the nature of that conflict which led to corresponding levels of high dander. That, imo, set the tone for that forum overall. As Le Tigre suggests, "it's the nature of the beast" for politics to be no-holds barred. And that's the way it ought to be if one is serious about having any kind of impact on the world politically. As anyone who has done actual politics knows, whatever civility one finds in political strife is merely a thin veneer overlaying pretty brutal contention for acquiring and imposing power. Not to say that civility is totally fraudulent because  it does help to prevent overt violence in that sphere. Of course, the downside to enforced civility is that one often has to pretend that the views of others are legitimate when deep inside one's soul, a person knows that the other person is full of shit--or worse. The content of one's character matters and one's character is fully put on display when political discussions happen.

The goal here is to restore this board to its previously excellent status. And if the enforcement of civility is deemed to be a significant component of that restoration, then it is probably best to return to an emphasis on the General Discussion forum for non-sports related topics. Discussion of politics and religion ought to be discouraged altogether. Civility is an artificial construct--it's a set of rules by which conforming members agree to abide. It's about presentation. That's a good thing and will no doubt be helpful on this board. On the other hand, there is a deeper personal element to political activity and discussion that goes beyond civility. One's views are measured and respect is the earned (or not-earned) commodity, distinct from civility. And respect is not the result of presentation, but of representation--what a person stands for and why. There will always be disagreement among folks when one starts getting into stuff that is inherently divisive. And that appears to be an opposite direction that what is good for the overall functioning of this board.

So, if my vote counts, kill J&D. Let us all be Bengal brothers and sisters and focus on that.

"Imagine that there was no more religion, no more country, no more politics..."  JL

Problem is the bad blood bleeds over into other forums

Let it. If you can't contain yourself like an adult and act like an adult in other forums, then sorry. Please re-read my last post about whom would get "pitted" and by whom and for what reason. Those things have a way of shaking themselves out.

Archived