Moderators, New/Old Etc. Going forward. - Opinions...

For some, that idea would go over like a lead balloon. But that does remind me of another project I'm considering. Now that I've rededicated myself to playing guitar with an emphasis on country blues, I was think of creating a band which modernizes and electrifies some of those old blues tunes. Cool be a really cool thing. Lead Balloon would be a good name for the group.

And then the surviving members of Led Zeppelin would sue you for plagiarism and then the arcs of the internet would re-connect, and then what, I ask you sir?

For some, that idea would go over like a lead balloon. But that does remind me of another project I'm considering. Now that I've rededicated myself to playing guitar with an emphasis on country blues, I was think of creating a band which modernizes and electrifies some of those old blues tunes. Cool be a really cool thing. Lead Balloon would be a good name for the group.

IIRC, Lead Balloon was a term used by Keith Moon to describe Jimmy Page's new supergroup.  Moon said it would go down like a lead balloon.  Page remembered that and some changing became Led Zeppelin.

Homer, you make wonderful points.

I have concluded over the years, that short of 2+2 (and even that can be argued, arguably), that every erstwhile discussion, debate, or statement will boil down to "mine" "yours" and "ours". And the ultimate "win" "loss" or "draw" end--real or perceived. Depending on the individuals' reaction to opposition in general, will dictate the final attack or defense initiatives. Well, and giving a tinker's damn about the subject is another key ingredient, I suppose.

J&D could be closed, but the battles would continue. Moderation helps (been one myself several times), but is just moral policing, as honorable as that is. Of course, doing nothing is not desired.

Eventually, after all of the fights, discipline, departures, make-ups, ad infinitum, things circle back to Point A, and it starts all over. As I have mentioned, it is the nature of the beast.

Tigre, I do not agree. It's a cultural thing. As fascist as it may sound, people get USED to having certain rules, policies, etc in place. I am a member of a huge messageboard that I am essentially ripping ideas off from because they work and the enforcement is carefully laid out and people abide by it. It doesn't throttle freedom of expression at all...in fact, it encourages it because it removes people that should be posting "Ur a moran muslim fuktard" on youtube from the site.

Got a call from an old friend and lost my train of thought but I sincerely believe having a single forum for the "get it all out of your system" is the way to go, and moderate the rest to the degree that keeps content and communication at a desirable level.

I remember when go first started this forum man that was a long ways back! I remember you would come on and it was just a hand full of member's,now dont get me wrong im all for as many fans as possible being on here its just some of the shit I starting reading and seeing carrying on made me stop posting for a long time, I wish it would just get back to the old board

I remember when go first started this forum man that was a long ways back! I remember you would come on and it was just a hand full of member's,now dont get me wrong im all for as many fans as possible being on here its just some of the shit I starting reading and seeing carrying on made me stop posting for a long time, I wish it would just get back to the old board

Brother, if I have anything to say about it...it will. It's what everyone wants. Unfortunately, that spirit of a very small community has grown into a very large community online. That same inclusive feeling you got being a member of something exclusive may be gone forever. But no worries. This push by our fearless leader even though he hasn't expressed as much to me or to my knowledge anyone else, is to try to bring that feeling back, but in order to do that within the context of the growth of the site over the years, we're basically going to have to tell certain people to shut up. or scale it back, or whatever depending on the issue.

It'll all come out in the wash in the end. I can assure you that we are going to do our level best to restore that feeling of inclusiveness across the board as much as we can.

I don't know how I feel about the idea of closing J&D. On one hand Homer is right, respect for certain ideas is not something that I could ever see myself giving. I once had a college English professor explain it this way when one of his students said you have to respect my option he said "You're opinion has no merit, is not backed up by facts, it is simply an opinion, I do not have to respect an opinion" I agree with that, there are certain opinions that people carry that I don't have to respect, they can have them if they choose, but I don't have to respect them. Treat the person with civility? Maybe, but when discussing things such as firearms and you look at a larger worldview vs. just this board and you see the Joe the Plummer's of the world saying things like "your dead kids don't trump my rights" well I just don't have it in me to be civil to someone like that nor should I, people holding the views that innocent dead is not held as high as their rights don't deserve it. Ill let the mods and go decide what that means for J&D as I just don't know how I feel about it going away.

As to this idea of "the pit" sorry Bung, its a horrible one. We've already seen some people can't separate what happens in one forum from another. I love you my friend but I think its naïve to think they could.

So, did this thread lead to anything? Had to skim a couple of pages as it seemed to take a downward turn. Seems like we've got two new mods? Anything I missed?

And feel free to wear jeans on Friday when posting. Also Wednesday is Hawaiian Shirt day.

Before you post ask yourself is this good for the forum.

As to this idea of "the pit" sorry Bung, its a horrible one. We've already seen some people can't separate what happens in one forum from another. I love you my friend but I think its naïve to think they could.

FWIW there are times that it does in fact carry over from one forum to another.  While it is likely that is not always a good thing, sometimes it is.  Like it or not, we all have different personalities to a certain extent and require different stimulus and culture surrounding us.  It is not utopian society that was built here and not simply a family but a very large extended family with differing opinions on a variety of things.  Ignoring these opinions do not mean they go away, they get buried.  Stew beneath the surface and will eventually boil out in an explosion.  An outlet for these opinions is a good thing and having a one stop shop for venting is not a bad thing.  I've seen college papers written from some of these discussions.  Members have even contributed to good grades for other posters that may or may not have had a grievance with them on the board.  Note:  Two of my papers have started out as arguments on that forum.

In short, I believe J&D is needed but moderated carefully.

FWIW there are times that it does in fact carry over from one forum to another.  While it is likely that is not always a good thing, sometimes it is.  Like it or not, we all have different personalities to a certain extent and require different stimulus and culture surrounding us.  It is not utopian society that was built here and not simply a family but a very large extended family with differing opinions on a variety of things.  Ignoring these opinions do not mean they go away, they get buried.  Stew beneath the surface and will eventually boil out in an explosion.  An outlet for these opinions is a good thing and having a one stop shop for venting is not a bad thing.  I've seen college papers written from some of these discussions.  Members have even contributed to good grades for other posters that may or may not have had a grievance with them on the board.  Note:  Two of my papers have started out as arguments on that forum.

In short, I believe J&D is needed but moderated carefully.

ok that's pretty cool.

Ill send you a PM about the my concerns. To which you can share with the other mods once you get the mod forum back up.

I think we should keep J&D open but it needs to be moderated.  I can understand having trouble respecting someone's political opinion, but you should still treat the person making that opinion with some respect, or at least civility.

I don't agree with Homer that civility is a useless veneer.  It's what separates us from animals and maintains our functioning society.. Do away with it and what you have is the wild west.  You don't have to believe someone's view has validity, but you do have to treat the person that way.. That line gets crossed far too many times on here and especially in the J&D forum.  Homer and Jamie have been a big part of that over there at times so it doesn't surprise me to hear them defend those actions.

Don't get me wrong Homer, I have a lot of respect for your intellect on these matters. but I think you do yourself a disservice when you bloody your hands in this way.  I think something to consider is that it's not necessarily the individual with which we are "doing combat" that is the object of your efforts... But those who are witnessing the exchange that have either not yet made an opinion on the matter or are willing to have their minds changed.  It's likely that whomever it is you are arguing with will never have a change of heart, but that doesn't mean you can't change hearts.  Just like with many bad ideas, sometimes you just have to wait for the people who have them to die off and be replaced by those with better ones.

Also I don't agree with having a "gloves off" forum where "anything goes".  I think a big part of what went wrong with this place started in the J&D forum.. Bad blood formed over there that was carried over into the other areas of the site.  Part of what made this site awesome in the beginning is that all we knew about each other was that we were Bengals fans.. Once we started arguing over politics that's when certain clicks started to form. We began to establish an "other". 

If you are going to do a "pit" my view is it should be a place that is hidden and used for parties that cant find the ability to agree to disagree when these threads begin to flame up and as such let those parties go into "the pit" with the mods and air their grievances then let the mods decide from there. 

If you are going to do a "pit" my view is it should be a place that is hidden and used for parties that cant find the ability to agree to disagree when these threads begin to flame up and as such let those parties go into "the pit" with the mods and air their grievances then let the mods decide from there. 

I can agree with this concept.. I was going to put into my last post but decided to leave it be.. I can see having an oubliette where people who just can't seem to get over a personal problem are sent.. But it's something that we will have to work the specifics out on.

I think we should keep J&D open but it needs to be moderated.  I can understand having trouble respecting someone's political opinion, but you should still treat the person making that opinion with some respect, or at least civility.

I don't agree with Homer that civility is a useless veneer.  It's what separates us from animals and maintains our functioning society.. Do away with it and what you have is the wild west.  You don't have to believe someone's view has validity, but you do have to treat the person that way.. That line gets crossed far too many times on here and especially in the J&D forum.  Homer and Jamie have been a big part of that over there at times so it doesn't surprise me to hear them defend those actions.

Don't get me wrong Homer, I have a lot of respect for your intellect on these matters. but I think you do yourself a disservice when you bloody your hands in this way.  I think something to consider is that it's not necessarily the individual with which we are "doing combat" that is the object of your efforts... But those who are witnessing the exchange that have either not yet made an opinion on the matter or are willing to have their minds changed.  It's likely that whomever it is you are arguing with will never have a change of heart, but that doesn't mean you can't change hearts.  Just like with many bad ideas, sometimes you just have to wait for the people who have them to die off and be replaced by those with better ones.

Also I don't agree with having a "gloves off" forum where "anything goes".  I think a big part of what went wrong with this place started in the J&D forum.. Bad blood formed over there that was carried over into the other areas of the site.  Part of what made this site awesome in the beginning is that all we knew about each other was that we were Bengals fans.. Once we started arguing over politics that's when certain clicks started to form. We began to establish an "other". 

Couldn't be said better. Excellent post.

I am in total agreement with Bung and Lucid, and I will also now have to take everyone that I had on ignore off of ignore! I also give my word to be impartial and fair. I would also ask for feedback from everyone, constructively of course. This board will only be as good as we make it, and we all want this to be the best board around like it has been for years.

oldschooler and anyone else who has stopped posting or has left...I implore you to give this place another chance as your input, dedication, and hard work is invaluable... and we're a better board with you here.

Thanks

+1         :shrug:

Archived