Moderators, New/Old Etc. Going forward. - Opinions...

Fags

fluhartz, you're a great guy and I don't feel like you're trying to attack anyone in particular... so I will let everyone know that we are going to be severely cutting down on any kind of slurs... be they racial, gender based, any any kind of bigoted attacks in any way. We will be posting up a "Read and Heed" sticky post shortly outlining what we all consider to be a good way forward to keeping this board on track.

So let's keep it civil gents!

Yes, flu, I do know you're playing as well.

fluhartz, you're a great guy and I don't feel like you're trying to attack anyone in particular... so I will let everyone know that we are going to be severely cutting down on any kind of slurs... be they racial, gender based, any any kind of bigoted attacks in any way. We will be posting up a "Read and Heed" sticky post shortly outlining what we all consider to be a good way forward to keeping this board on track.

100% joke and I like both of those dudes a lot ....

I totally understand and it won't happen again....

unless I'm drunk, then I can't help it sometimes....

45918924_zps653ba22e.jpg

jonah-hill-as-aaron-green-11.jpg

Somehow I knew someone was going to post this....lol

100% joke and I like both of those dudes a lot ....

I totally understand and it won't happen again....

unless I'm drunk, then I can't help it sometimes....

45918924_zps653ba22e.jpg

It's all good flu, of course I try NOT to post when I'm drunk... or was that when I am sober?

I'm going to guess that the login timeout has been shortened recently as the post I just wrote didn't take. Maybe I'll try again later.

If you got an error that may be the case that you were logged off..sometimes a post won't go through just bc of plain old bad connection too though...

As an Army brat and former vet with Army roots that go deep into WWII, Korea, Vietnam, West Point, Persian Gulf War I by my Daddy Dubya, I have to say that we have to leave some homosexual reference room for you Navy guys. It's only fair as compensation for you all staying all safe on your big ships and whatnot, eating good chow, growing your hair long, avoiding PT and generally for dressing like a member of the Village People.

There's got to be a Navy clause in the rules somewhere. If not we need to create it.

Don't know about that Homer... I could ask?

Could just be me. I felt the need to mount the throne in the middle of writing a while ago. I read in there (currently the Autobiography of Black Hawk) so it may have taken a bit longer than I thought.

In any case I'll try to recompose...

Could just be me. I felt the need to mount the throne in the middle of writing a while ago. I read in there (currently the Autobiography of Black Hawk) so it may have taken a bit longer than I thought.

In any case I'll try to recompose...

If you read an entire book while in there you might have deeper problems than not being able to post...  :rsju31uh9:

As an Army brat and former vet with Army roots that go deep into WWII, Korea, Vietnam, West Point, Persian Gulf War I by my Daddy Dubya, I have to say that we have to leave some homosexual reference room for you Navy guys. It's only fair as compensation for you all staying all safe on your big ships and whatnot, eating good chow, growing your hair long, avoiding PT and generally for dressing like a member of the Village People.

There's got to be a Navy clause in the rules somewhere. If not we need to create it.

Talk about alienating a new mod!!!

I guess we could do that for you, after all... it wasn't YOUR fault that you weren't good enough for the Navy and the Army was the only service that would accept you...

:ninja:

IIRC the "lift bar" at the MEPPS station had an elevation listing, starting with the Chair Force as the lowest, Navy next, Army after that and Marine Corps at the top. In retrospect, it doesn't sound very scientific, does it?

I think we should keep J&D open but it needs to be moderated.  I can understand having trouble respecting someone's political opinion, but you should still treat the person making that opinion with some respect, or at least civility.

I don't agree with Homer that civility is a useless veneer.  It's what separates us from animals and maintains our functioning society.. Do away with it and what you have is the wild west.  You don't have to believe someone's view has validity, but you do have to treat the person that way.. That line gets crossed far too many times on here and especially in the J&D forum.  Homer and Jamie have been a big part of that over there at times so it doesn't surprise me to hear them defend those actions.

Don't get me wrong Homer, I have a lot of respect for your intellect on these matters. but I think you do yourself a disservice when you bloody your hands in this way.  I think something to consider is that it's not necessarily the individual with which we are "doing combat" that is the object of your efforts... But those who are witnessing the exchange that have either not yet made an opinion on the matter or are willing to have their minds changed.  It's likely that whomever it is you are arguing with will never have a change of heart, but that doesn't mean you can't change hearts.  Just like with many bad ideas, sometimes you just have to wait for the people who have them to die off and be replaced by those with better ones.

Also I don't agree with having a "gloves off" forum where "anything goes".  I think a big part of what went wrong with this place started in the J&D forum.. Bad blood formed over there that was carried over into the other areas of the site.  Part of what made this site awesome in the beginning is that all we knew about each other was that we were Bengals fans.. Once we started arguing over politics that's when certain clicks started to form. We began to establish an "other". 

I take your points, Lucid, and for the most part I agree with you. My only quibble would be that I didn't say that civility was useless. In fact, I went to the trouble of comparing and contrasting the ideas of civility and respect in order to situate them in the context of the J&D forum. Hence the notions of presentation and representation.  My suggestion that the closing of J&D be considered is based on the fundamental idea that if civility is the key here, then presentation takes precedence over representation insofar as civility is a ruleset and respect is a commodity earned by dint of different criteria.

I lurked on this board for quite some time before I began posting. I did so because..."Yea! Bengals!" at a website with some very football-intelligent posters. It's why I keep coming back here. My postings are primarily in J&D because I tend to only write about stuff that I have some knowledge about. It would be very easy for me to disappear down the rabbit hole of "super sports fan" if I let myself but some years ago I decided to limit my sports attention to the Bengals and UConn basketball. There is only so much time in a day. I don't even follow closely the one sport I was actually pretty good at--baseball.

So, if I can be charitable towards myself for a moment, I think I have at times made a contribution to this community in a tangential way. And it's true that when I wrote about economics I was much more "civil" than I am when it comes to subjects which I find morally reprehensible. I freely admit that when my nose gets open I sometimes forget the power of my words and I write things that are edited out when I am engaged in more serious writing. It's true that when I post I should be more cognizant of how I respond to the way in which other people represent themselves to the world.

Bur here is the rub. I can't be responsible for the feelings of other folks, especially those who get upset with my words when they are advocating much more violent actions in the "real world." I could do a better job of opposing such ideas, I suppose, but forgive me if I find it a bit ironic that a wimpy-liberal-pinko cuntmuppet like myself is expected not only to roll over for folks who praise war and other bloodshed as solutions to very real problems we face, but to do so in a civil fashion. The BOHICA tendency in me just isn't there. Because after all, when push comes to shove, it's the representation which matters.

Bottom line: I've said some mean things to people here at times. In some of those instances I regret my words, but not in all instances. Yet, considering some of the really nasty things that others have written here that touch on race, Islam, war-mongering, pistol-packing and while we are at it, some misogynistic tendencies that prevail all over the board, my "crimes" are minimal.

I advocated the closing of J&D because I do agree that the focus ought to be on the team and if this board needs more civility to get back on track then I am all for it. And while I'll watch my words in the future with more alacrity, I'll not apologize for who I am and how I walk through the world in general.

As much as I love my Bengals, I cannot envision an elimination of freely held discussions of world events on here. I vote no on closing J&D. Call it something else, moderate it if you must...but the very nature of the types of discussion there BEGS for a forum like a BBQ Pit that I have been advocating for. Moderation still exists, and the mods/posters that are concerned about "bad blood" carrying over into other forums...well, we won't let it. You want to bag on someone as a poster, go there. You don't agree with there opinion on Iraq, go there. We would easily funnel every topic like this into that forum. It literally wouldn't be hard.

And if people want to bear grudges over it? Fuck 'em. They won't be allowed to express them outside of the very forum that they are angry about.

It will keep ALL the other forums clean because we will make it so.

IIRC the "lift bar" at the MEPPS station had an elevation listing, starting with the Chair Force as the lowest, Navy next, Army after that and Marine Corps at the top. In retrospect, it doesn't sound very scientific, does it?

Dude, you totally forgot the Coast Guard.

Not sure if this has ever been done, but it would be interesting to have a thread/poll to see how many vets are members. Also might be useful to know just in case any of our current military/vets ever need support or help of some kind.

I take your points, Lucid, and for the most part I agree with you. My only quibble would be that I didn't say that civility was useless. In fact, I went to the trouble of comparing and contrasting the ideas of civility and respect in order to situate them in the context of the J&D forum. Hence the notions of presentation and representation.  My suggestion that the closing of J&D be considered is based on the fundamental idea that if civility is the key here, then presentation takes precedence over representation insofar as civility is a ruleset and respect is a commodity earned by dint of different criteria.

I lurked on this board for quite some time before I began posting. I did so because..."Yea! Bengals!" at a website with some very football-intelligent posters. It's why I keep coming back here. My postings are primarily in J&D because I tend to only write about stuff that I have some knowledge about. It would be very easy for me to disappear down the rabbit hole of "super sports fan" if I let myself but some years ago I decided to limit my sports attention to the Bengals and UConn basketball. There is only so much time in a day. I don't even follow closely the one sport I was actually pretty good at--baseball.

So, if I can be charitable towards myself for a moment, I think I have at times made a contribution to this community in a tangential way. And it's true that when I wrote about economics I was much more "civil" than I am when it comes to subjects which I find morally reprehensible. I freely admit that when my nose gets open I sometimes forget the power of my words and I write things that are edited out when I am engaged in more serious writing. It's true that when I post I should be more cognizant of how I respond to the way in which other people represent themselves to the world.

Bur here is the rub. I can't be responsible for the feelings of other folks, especially those who get upset with my words when they are advocating much more violent actions in the "real world." I could do a better job of opposing such ideas, I suppose, but forgive me if I find it a bit ironic that a wimpy-liberal-pinko cuntmuppet like myself is expected not only to roll over for folks who praise war and other bloodshed as solutions to very real problems we face, but to do so in a civil fashion. The BOHICA tendency in me just isn't there. Because after all, when push comes to shove, it's the representation which matters.

Bottom line: I've said some mean things to people here at times. In some of those instances I regret my words, but not in all instances. Yet, considering some of the really nasty things that others have written here that touch on race, Islam, war-mongering, pistol-packing and while we are at it, some misogynistic tendencies that prevail all over the board, my "crimes" are minimal.

I advocated the closing of J&D because I do agree that the focus ought to be on the team and if this board needs more civility to get back on track then I am all for it. And while I'll watch my words in the future with more alacrity, I'll not apologize for who I am and how I walk through the world in general.

I have tremendous respect for you Homer.  I remember at one point when you decided to "hang it up" I practically begged you not to in PM's.. I would very much like for you to continue to be as active as ever, and to defend your point of view with the usual wit and tenacity that I know you for.  I just ask that you keep in mind that this is not a government body, nor even a community council.  No "political victories" are going to be won here.. There are no demons to slay except bad ideals.  The battles you are fighting are for the undecided and unentrenched minds that are spectating your exchange.. And those kinds of victories are best sought with grace and wisdom. Qualities I have seen you display in abundance over the years.  I would never ask for you to apologize for who you are.. And I would never ask you to bend over and take it from anybody.  But treating another human being with simple courtesy and respect, even one you disagree with is in no way doing that.  

Not sure if this has ever been done, but it would be interesting to have a thread/poll to see how many vets are members. Also might be useful to know just in case any of our current military/vets ever need support or help of some kind.

The Coasties rock... worked with them quite extensively, especially over in the Persian Gulf (boarding ships) and the Caribbean(busting drug runners). Hardest working ones out of every service actually.

I also do not agree with closing the J&D, free thinking minds and differing opinions are the only fertile ground we truly have left. People do get carried away (I know I would argue with you about CCW and weapons in general) but that's where the moderation, however slight, can help KEEP the J&D forum operating. When peoples ideas, principles, and opinions overwhelm their basic decency... moderating can help defuse things before it get's to the nastiness.

Just my .02

Don't try to collect data on me, big brother

Archived