The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Falcons

Related Blogs
Lewis still believes in Nugent after misses

By Coley Harvey | September 14, 2014 9:15:35 PM PDT
CINCINNATI -- It was an uncharacteristic day for Cincinnati Bengals kicker Mike Nugent.

Nugent
Seriously.

He had never missed three field goals in a game before Sunday's sudden case of the shanks and hooks. Not in the 109 previous NFL games he played had he been that inaccurate. Not in the four years he spent at Ohio State, either.

Plain and simple, Nugent's misses don't come in the bunches that they came in during the Bengals' 24-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons. His coach, Marvin Lewis, knows that and made it known that he still believes in his veteran kicker.

"I know he'll be better next time out," Lewis said. "That's the one good thing about Mike. He's such a pro."

Despite the missed kicks, the Bengals still beat the Falcons convincingly.

Lewis was asked if he knew what contributed to Nugent's poor performance. The coach said he didn't know. Nugent, who normally speaks with reporters after every game, good, bad or otherwise, wasn't in the locker room when the media was allowed in Sunday.

Wind didn't appear to be a factor. For most of the day winds never reached double-digit miles per hour.

Perhaps, it was just simply one of those days that players can sometimes go through; days when it seems like nothing goes the way it's supposed to.

Geno is just coming back from a major injury and this is just week 2 of the NFL season.He looks alright for a guy who has not played a whole lot in the preseason.

He's playing like an average DT.   Not getting his ass blocked off, but not dominating either.    He's still getting his football legs under him.   I think in the second half of the year...when we play most of our division games, he'll be the old Geno, kickin' ass again.

Good--

Gameplans on both sides of the ball.

Hill looks like he gets nothing, but then you look closer and it's a gain of 4 or 5.

Andy, you can tell the new coaching...he's just so much more judicious with his risky throws.  I don't think his no TO is a quirk, it will be a season long progression......YES!!!   BTW, the guy I wanted in the draft, CKaep,  screwed the pooch last night.

Newman looks like he's playing his jersey number, not his chronological age...tireless, savvy, great tackling, enthusiastic.

Burfict left with a stinger, not a concussion.

An effective passing attack with the top 3 targets out.

Gio being Gio.

OL keeping AD clean...again.

Everything Sanu

The DEs actually taking advantage of a lesser opponent for a change.  They used to make backups look like allpros.

Jumpy is a versatile weapon, also not playing his age.  I always thought he would make a good LB.

Bodine, though not perfect, looked even better than the previous game...hope that trend continues.

Adam Jones walking the walk, though I just assume he not talk the talk.

ILoka...also keeps looking better.  Good hitter. 2 almost 3 ints yest

Wallace Gilberry's motor.

The WeeBees are back on town.   They put in their "We Be Scoring Points" package in...Newsome at TE, Whit at LT, Andre at LG, Bodine at C, and Peko at FB....might as well just surrender when you see that coming at ya.

Bad

Nuge.  None of the misses were miserable.  Off by a couple feet at most.

Maualuga still overruns plays and misses tackles

Lack of finishing drives.

Ugly

The fat, ugly, obnoxious, bitch Falcons fan who sat next to me.  That woman had a serious personality disorder.  2 seconds away from calling the jerk line.....until she left in the 3rd Q.

The WeeBees are back on town. They put in their "We Be Scoring Points" package in...Newsome at TE, Whit at LT, Andre at LG, Bodine at C, and Peko at FB....might as well just surrender when you see that coming at ya.

Good to see I'm not the only one who remembers the WeBe's. I mentioned it when they lined up.

The Beautiful -

We beat a very good Atlanta team without our 2 starting WR's, and Eifert, and Burfict missing part of the same. And we also won despite missing 3 FGs. That is extremely impressive.

Andy Dalton - NO Turnovers! WOOT. The toss to Gio when he was under massive pressure to get the 1st down, and TD to Sanu with a DL'man about to smash him.

Jeremy Hill and Gio being establishing themselves as a top 5 RB duo in the league.

Gresham not making any bonehead mistakes and being solid.

The entire secondary playing like possibly the best secondary in football. Newman, Hall and Jones are all capable of containing most #1 recievers in the league and they all TACKLE and are physical as hell. Reggie and Illoka have been studs at safety. Absolute studs.

The throw by Sanu and catch by Tate.

The Good -

Pass protection and run blocking. Containing Hester mostly

The Bad -

Nugents 3 misses and the injuries, although none look too bad.

The Ugly -

None for me

:lol:

Autocorrect?

No.

Someone took him into the shop.

Rick asked how much he wanted.

Guy gave a figure.

Rick called in an expert and lowballed him.

Guy left in a huff.

Chumley mumbled some inane shit in a drug induced stoner haze

and the Old Man slept while Corey pissed in his bottle of water.

Agree.

Maualuga was nonexistent as far as I could tell.

I've noticed that even though Maualuga doesn't show up in the stats (1 tackle assist on Sunday) you can see him flying into gaps and plugging up running lanes when he's in there. I'd love to get a no nonsense straight up evaluation of his play from Geunther. Is he doing what the coaches ask of him, are they concerned with his lack of stats?

I've noticed that even though Maualuga doesn't show up in the stats (1 tackle assist on Sunday) you can see him flying into gaps and plugging up running lanes when he's in there. I'd love to get a no nonsense straight up evaluation of his play from Geunther. Is he doing what the coaches ask of him, are they concerned with his lack of stats?

that's basically been his role since the beginning of last year.  They use him as a battering ram to clog lanes and allow others to make the tackle.

Didn't know it was one of our own. Thanks. The Falcons couldn't beat Burfict but Lamur did.

Matt Ryan scrambled and slid and as he slid Burfict pulled up and Lamur had to pull up, couldn't stop and had to jump and when he jumped his knee drilled the back of Burficts helmet. We are lucky it is a stinger and not a concussion.

He whiffs on tackles. He had an ugly whiff in the open field yesterday but he does a really good job of clogging a lane so the RB has to go elsewhere. Then Burfict usually cleans it up. Maualuga is too heavy imo and he looks MUCH larger than last year but maybe they asked him to gain weight again to clog for the running game more. With Lamur (and mays backing up) back it isn't like he is ever going to see a nickel coverage.

Archived