Bengals mailbag: Sign Greg Hardy as a free agent?

374678396001_3676775611001_WSOC-63541059

"On May 13, 2014, Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He draged me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised [my] neck and back. Hardy screamed for his “administrative assistant” (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Curtis came into the room, grabbed me from behind and held me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn’t nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go & I wouldn’t tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down & went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)."

― Nicole Holder

Greg-Hardy.jpg

FIFY: 

MJ -vs- Hardy

28 yrs old --- 26 yrs old

.33 career sacks/game --- .58 career sacks/game

.53 career sacks/start --- .87 career sacks/start

7.52 3 Cone --- 7.13 3 Cone

Pussy Cat --- Kracken

Descending Player --- Ascending Player

374678396001_3676775611001_WSOC-63541059

"On May 13, 2014, Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He draged me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised [my] neck and back. Hardy screamed for his administrative assistant (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Curtis came into the room, grabbed me from behind and held me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasnt nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go & I wouldnt tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down & went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)."

― Nicole Holder

Greg-Hardy.jpg

She has terrible spelling skills....she had it coming.

hardynellypanthersholder.jpg

Accuser: Hardy upset by Nelly bond

May 16, 2014

By David Newton | ESPN.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Nicole Holder says in court documents that a "short-lived" relationship with rapper/entertainer Nelly led to the domestic violence incident involving Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy.

According to court documents filed on Thursday, Holder said Hardy "has been angry for a while" because of the relationship she had with Nelly, a part-owner of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats.

"The victim advised the defendant has been very upset about this since March and often becomes suddenly very angry," the documents read.

"The victim stated she was lying in bed with the defendant and he just snapped."

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has released audio recordings of the 911 calls and radio dispatch concerning Panthers DE Greg Hardy's arrest.

Meanwhile, a judge on Thursday dismissed a request for a temporary restraining order against Hardy when Holder did not show up in court.

Attorney Stephen Goodwin, who filed the request for Holder on Wednesday, withdrew from the case as part of a mutual agreement with the client. He cited irreconcilable differences.

The request for a restraining order was made after Hardy appeared in court on Wednesday for a bond regarding domestic violence charges involving Holder.

In the complaint for the protective order, Holder accused Hardy of tossing her on a "couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns" and threatening to kill her during a dispute on Tuesday morning.

Hardy was released Wednesday on a $15,000 bond for the assault charges and $2,000 for the threats. He also was ordered not to have contact with Holder and to attend three Alcoholic Anonymous classes a week.

District judge Rebecca Thorne Tin amended the conditions of the bond on Thursday to require Hardy to turn over all weapons and firearms.

Both Hardy and Holder, 24, were intoxicated at the time of the incident, the judge said Wednesday.

Goodwin said Thursday's dismissal in the civil case had no bearing on the criminal case against Hardy, who in February was guaranteed $13.1 million for the 2014 season when the Panthers placed the franchise tag on him.

Goodwin said he did not know if Holder had hired another attorney or if she would file for a protective order with another attorney.

A source close to the situation said Holder "did not get along with her attorney.''

Goodwin said he had not withdrawn from a case since 1996. He would not comment on when the decision for him and Holder to part was made.

Judge Charlotte Brown dismissed the request for the restraining order, citing Holder's absence in the courtroom as a factor. Holder also was not in court on Wednesday when Hardy's bond was set.

Goodwin would not comment on the strength of Holder's case. According to the arrest warrant, Hardy threw Holder onto the floor, into a bathtub and slammed her against a futon. The warrant also said Hardy was "strangling'' Holder and threatened to kill her.

Hardy's attorney, Chris Fialko, said his client was not the aggressor. Fialko said Hardy called 911 at around 4:14 a.m. when Holder refused to leave his apartment.

Goodwin made it clear on Wednesday that Holder was "not the aggressor by a long shot.''

"It was very violent,'' Goodwin said. "A lot of picking up and throwing.''

Goodwin said Holder went to the emergency room on Tuesday to have her injuries treated.

In the request for a restraining order, Holder expressed her fears when describing what happened during the incident.

"Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom," the complaint read. "I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He drug me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons."

In the complaint, Holder alleges that Hardy had 25 to 30 firearms in his apartment and that "he threatened to shoot me if I went to the media or reported his assaults to anyone.''

Hardy's next scheduled court appearance is June 27.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10937659/greg-hardy-was-angry-nelly-relationship-says-nicole-holder

I think Goodell knows it will look bad if he allows Hardy to play next season, after what happened with Ray Rice.

Given that the charges were dismissed for lack of evidence, Goodell would be on thin ice in suspending Hardy at all. The NFL's position is that a paid suspension isn't discipline. That's ridiculous. Hardy has already served a 15 game suspension.

Given that the charges were dismissed for lack of evidence, Goodell would be on thin ice in suspending Hardy at all.

I think there was a "financial settlement", i.e. he paid her off not to show up to court so the charges were thrown out.

But how does that look if Goodell allows players to choke out their women and as long as they buy them off, they escape suspension?

I think there was a "financial settlement", i.e. he paid her off not to show up to court so the charges were thrown out.

But how does that look if Goodell allows his players to choke out their women and as long as they buy them off, they escape suspension?

North Carolina has a weird process but by going for the jury trial the bench trial is negated so the NFL can't really use any evidence from that against Hardy. Holder's story changed so you shouldn't put too much weight on it. I don't doubt that Hardy reached a settlement with Holder that got her out of town but so what? That doesn't imply guilt as innocent parties settle cases all the time. 

Hardy has already served a 15 game suspension so at worst he should be out some money in a fine. Judge Doty has already said the NFL can't use their new domestic violence policy against Peterson for conduct that occurred previously. Hardy would win an appeal to Doty as well. Under the old policy he'd be looking at 0 games for an acquittal with no priors. Goodell doesn't really have any good options here other than drag things out and hope Hardy agrees to a settlement.

But how does that look if Goodell allows players to choke out their women and as long as they buy them off, they escape suspension?

financial settlements work out.... This one guy paid off a family after a murder and went on to have a hall of fame career and won two Super Bowls...

Has there ever been an indication that the Bengals have had any real interest ( and not the PFF SWAG style interest) in this guy?

For all of the fighting and crapping over him...I mean what if there isn't any interest in him? Would that be OK?

Archived