Bengals mailbag: Sign Greg Hardy as a free agent?

i'd ask you both (alley and hair) this...why can't bud dupree be a consideration as a hybrid type. are we all so sure that's been taken off the table with MJ's signing? i'm not so sure, at least i'm not sure it should be.

The hybrid idea is generally a bad one - especially here. However, when it works it works incredibly well.  Von Miller, Peter Bouleware, those are examples. 

Last year, you may remember, I was going nuts about Vic Beasley and Anthony Barr.  Turns out one went back to school and the other got turned into a hybrid by Zimmer, which by most accounts has been a success.  Khalil Mack is the example of another guy. HOWEVER, those guys have flexibility and agility that neither Dupree nor Owa have, which I imagine is one of the reason Hair has them pegged as 4-3 DEs. 

When you try to take a guy like that and put him in the hybrid spot, you end up with Dontay Moch, and we know how that ended up.  David Pollack was the prototype of what should have worked (unreal agility numbers), but injury cut that short. Given that he's taken a couple of swipes, I know Marvin has been trying.  The problem is that, those guys are just so rarely available, and usually pretty sought after becuase it takes a special kind of athlete.  We've also tried with Dan Skuta and Jayson Dimanche (along with handfuls of journeyman FAs).

In this draft the obvious option is Beasley, but we won't sniff him.  There's an argument for Randy Gregory, but he'll be a project with a capital P in that regard (not the worst idea though, as he'll provide you meaningful pass rush quicks out of the gate and maybe he builds some bulk over the next year to become more of a traditional 4-3 DE?).  Shane Ray remains an unknown until we hear back from his workout, but I think he's extremely similar to a Robert Quinn type, and not someone you can expect to play LB.

In fact the only guy (other than Beasley) who I think has a shot from this draft class will be taken later, and remains somewhat unknown because he was hurt at the combine and remained hurt at his pro day a few days later: Davis Tull.  He was an FCS all-american DE with some of the better explosion metrics in years. If he has the agility to go along with it he could really be something.  His NFL.com comparison?  Dan Skuta

(however, in Tull's defense, Skuta's #s were pedestrian .93 explosion vs Tull's 1.08)

I spent a few hours looking at DTs last night. I started with the numbers and watched the tape.  The process made me discover a couple of guys that I hadn't considered before, and made me re-think another one that I had.

The number that I was looking at first was explosion.  This year, there are actually many more high explosion guys than in year's past.

Ellis McCarthy 1.13 - Powerful but a slug, space-eater and that's pretty much it.

Rakeem Nunez-Roches 1.11 - guy I left most intrigued by. Great penetrator. Plays very low, but also stays on his feet. Major hustle guy.
Grady Jarret 1.07 - my interest in him is well documented.

Danny Shelton 1.07 - everyone knows about him

Carl Davis 1.06 - He has the best power to agility ratio.  I'm liking him more and more, and I think he'd be the one guy at DT I think is worth it at 21 -though I'd still consider it a reach.

I haven't been as impressed by these two guys as everyone else:

Jordan Phillips 1.03

Malcom Brown 1.0

Tyeler Davidson - And then here's one guy who has totally freakish numbers (1.1 Explosion, 1.04 agility), but who has terrible tape.  I think he's had bad coaching, but he clearly doesn't use his hands AT ALL. Maybe a late round project for the PS.

I spent a few hours looking at DTs last night. I started with the numbers and watched the tape.  The process made me discover a couple of guys that I hadn't considered before, and made me re-think another one that I had.

The number that I was looking at first was explosion.  This year, there are actually many more high explosion guys than in year's past.

Ellis McCarthy 1.13 - Powerful but a slug, space-eater and that's pretty much it.

Rakeem Nunez-Roches 1.11 - guy I left most intrigued by. Great penetrator. Plays very low, but also stays on his feet. Major hustle guy.
Grady Jarret 1.07 - my interest in him is well documented.

Danny Shelton 1.07 - everyone knows about him

Carl Davis 1.06 - He has the best power to agility ratio.  I'm liking him more and more, and I think he'd be the one guy at DT I think is worth it at 21 -though I'd still consider it a reach.

I haven't been as impressed by these two guys as everyone else:

Jordan Phillips 1.03

Malcom Brown 1.0

Tyeler Davidson - And then here's one guy who has totally freakish numbers (1.1 Explosion, 1.04 agility), but who has terrible tape.  I think he's had bad coaching, but he clearly doesn't use his hands AT ALL. Maybe a late round project for the PS.

I've seen Jordan Phillips play and the guy looked flat out terrible.  He did not look like an nfl draft prospect at all. He's a big body that plays really high and looks soft.  Malcolm Brown on the other hand looks like a beast.  Looks explosive n instinctive out in the field. 

Other than Coley's prediction, I never did see whether the Bengals ever so much as picked up a phone to call him, let alone "shown interest". I never believed they had the slightest of real interest.

you're probably right. as far as free agency goes... he was out of their league.

Archived