* RD 3 Bengals Select Nick Vigil, LB / RB *

Everyone is free to their opinion and who knows what will end up being correct, but I think criticizing his athleticism is a bit of a stretch. And it's not because he played RB. His quickness should be pretty obvious based upon his combine numbers:

-His 3-cone of 6.73 was the best at the combine by a LB. In fact, it blew away the field with the 2nd best time coming in at 6.98. Being .25 faster than the next best at the position is pretty impressive. It would have been the 4th-fastest WR time. Just a bit behind Braxton Miller who ran a 6.65.

-His short-shuttle of 4.00 was also the best at the combine amongst LBers. In fact, I think it's the best time by any LB in the past 8 or 9 years. It's even more impressive when you compare it to other positions. He was quicker than any WR at the combine. Braxton Miller had the best WR time at 4.07. 

Edit to Add: I went back to look at Luke Kuechly's combine because that was the guy Haslett and Guenther compared him to. Kuechly was faster in the 40 (4.58 vs. 4.71). Kuechly's 3-cone of 6.92 and short-shuttle of 4.12 were amongst the best in his draft class, but still came up well short of Vigil's numbers. 

Reminds me of the times that David Pollack put up as a 6'2"/265 linebacker/DE tweener. 

4.75 40 yard dash

6.87 3-cone

3.94 shuttle.

That shuttle time was off the charts.  

That is a little light for a 3 down guy and they did even make mention that his strength needs to go up. Weight increase will come with that.

240-245 is pretty ideal.

Kuechly is listed at 6'3, 238. 

Vigil was 6'2, 239 at the combine.

Reminds me of the times that David Pollack put up as a 6'2"/265 linebacker/DE tweener. 

4.75 40 yard dash

6.87 3-cone

3.94 shuttle.

That shuttle time was off the charts.  

yes, that was a great time. You know who else had outrageous shuttle times? Caleb Miller - and I think Landon Johnson had impressive times as well, though not as good as Miller's. Just sayin'.

i hope Vigil is the real deal. Both Jacob Burney and Jim Haslett have a job on their hands to coach up some of the young talent they've picked up over the last several years - both rookies AND younger vets like Hunt, Clarke, Hardison, Williams, Thompson on the DL, and Flowers and Dawson at LB... None of whom - to date - has shown much on the field. 

yes, that was a great time. You know who else had outrageous shuttle times? Caleb Miller - and I think Landon Johnson had impressive times as well, though not as good as Miller's. Just sayin'.

i hope Vigil is the real deal. Both Jacob Burney and Jim Haslett have a job on their hands to coach up some of the young talent they've picked up over the last several years - both rookies AND younger vets like Hunt, Clarke, Hardison, Williams, Thompson on the DL, and Flowers and Dawson at LB... None of whom - to date - has shown much on the field. 

That's true in that respect, but in another way, they are a bit stunted because of the players that run first-string and major subpackages,  and to be blunt, none of them have even had a lick of getting playing time, much less pushing the starters--unless it's on special teams.   And if we have to have a scapegoat, blame Marvin--I have a feeling that until players show to him that they can handle the complexities and checks with the defense, w/o making major errors (hell there will be some errors, we are all only human) Marvin and the rest of the coaches are gonna stick with veterans that know what they're doing, regardless of physical ability.

And if all else fails,  our youngsters need to channel Terrell Davis--that 'hit heard round the world' in the 1995 preseason gave the former sixth-rounder the spark to make the coaches see him in a new light, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Pollack's was indeed the most impressive at 265 lbs. But even Vigil had his times with an extra 15 lbs over Miller. 

Either way, put me in the camp that thinks that some of the biggest offseason changes the Bengals might have made (we hope) is changing out their DL and LB coaches. 

Pollack's was indeed the most impressive at 265 lbs. But even Vigil had his times with an extra 15 lbs over Miller. 

Either way, put me in the camp that thinks that some of the biggest offseason changes the Bengals might have made (we hope) is changing out their DL and LB coaches. 

Put me in the wait and see on that, I mean the DL coach came from the Redskins who didn't exactly have a good Dline (or D as a whole for that matter), and Haslet may or may not be a good LB coach, but he wasnt good as a Dcoord, so well see....

Put me in the wait and see on that, I mean the DL coach came from the Redskins who didn't exactly have a good Dline (or D as a whole for that matter), and Haslet may or may not be a good LB coach, but he wasnt good as a Dcoord, so well see....

He must have been at one point to be promoted from DC to head coach.

240-245 is pretty ideal.

Kuechly is listed at 6'3, 238. 

Vigil was 6'2, 239 at the combine.

Well first, Kuechly is a freak of nature.

Second Kuechly was listed as 242 pounds when he was weighed at the combine. I doubt he's lost 7 pounds. Guarantee he is higher than what is listed. No doubt he's gotten stronger since he's been in the NFL and he didn't have fat to lose.

I don't know about the DL coach hire, but I'm cautiously optimistic with Haslett.   Sometimes I think some former head coaches flounder and fail because they have to be about more than they are qualified for.    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Haslett is our new LB coach, considering he's know how to deal with LBs,  and yes our LB are mostly pedestrian (Vontaze is the only one that is Pro-Bowl level), but maybe specializing in one group works better for the rest as a whole.  Similar to Coyle coming back to man our secondary again because he was canned as the Dolphin's DC.

I don't know about the DL coach hire, but I'm cautiously optimistic with Haslett.   Sometimes I think some former head coaches flounder and fail because they have to be about more than they are qualified for.    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Haslett is our new LB coach, considering he's know how to deal with LBs,  and yes our LB are mostly pedestrian (Vontaze is the only one that is Pro-Bowl level), but maybe specializing in one group works better for the rest as a whole.  Similar to Coyle coming back to man our secondary again because he was canned as the Dolphin's DC.

Totally agree with this. I love our LBs having Haslett. Especially with us having 3 high potential LBs in Burfict, Vigil and Dawson. Absolutely love having Coyle back too.

I really like the DL coach though. This guy has ties to a good past and good history with Marvin. Plus he is a no bullshit, fired up type of guy. He should make an impact and probably gives the best chance for Hunt/Clarke to prove something.

I was listening to The Ringer NFL podcast and their take on the Vigil pick was cool and interesting.  They said that they couldn't believe that Vigil was still available at the end of the 3rd and regarded him as a steal.  Pretty much the opposite of what the mainstream media folks (Harvey, etc) have said about the pick.  

I was listening to The Ringer NFL podcast and their take on the Vigil pick was cool and interesting.  They said that they couldn't believe that Vigil was still available at the end of the 3rd and regarded him as a steal.  Pretty much the opposite of what the mainstream media folks (Harvey, etc) have said about the pick.  

Mayock and Prisco also like him a lot.

Post-draft is always the honeymoon period for these new wunderkind. They are always the "best pick where they were picked", "hidden gems", and "steals". Happens every year. 

But give Nick Vigilant a few games of missing tackles, getting blown backwards by linemen, missing assignments, or simply only playing ST's...and we will begin to see "not up to expectations" or (gasp) "he's just a guy". This happens every year too. 

See Dawson, Paul as a recent example. 

Post-draft is always the honeymoon period for these new wunderkind. They are always the "best pick where they were picked", "hidden gems", and "steals". Happens every year. 

But give Nick Vigilant a few games of missing tackles, getting blown backwards by linemen, missing assignments, or simply only playing ST's...and we will begin to see "not up to expectations" or (gasp) "he's just a guy". This happens every year too. 

That's what message boards and crappy writers at Cincinnati.com do.

Marvin is very rarely overly vocal about a specific player from the beginning. When he's really hyped up on Vigil that means he sees something special. I was at the season ticket holders town hall last night and he was going on about the need for the team to upgrade the LB position as it got thin and slow and then started glowingly praising Vigil again and a few comments on Dawson as well.

Right - that happens in every NFL city. When the Bengals blew chunks in the 90s, there wasn't much to hang your hat on. 

It'll be interesting to see what PJ does this season, after not meeting fans' expectations last year. 

Mayock and Prisco also like him a lot.

Daniel Jeremiah on NFLN also really liked this pick. The question on the Path to the Draft show came up about whether Vigil was a reach in round 3 at that spot, and DJ said he actually thought he might go earlier, since he loved the player (but was not "in love* with him, just sayin').

Archived