'17 and '18 Free Agents..... so many...

46 minutes ago, NASTYNATI said:

2017:

Whit 

Peko

Gilberry

Thompson

Burkhead

Peko, like the coach, needs to retire and go out with some degree of dignity.  Now dancing with the overstaying his welcome.

Gilberry... simply does not do much for me.  The word "mediocre" comes to mind.  Like this year, he would be available for a call up if things get thin.

Margus... maybe for a cheap year and amp him up to block kicks.  One thing I did notice was teams constantly ran at the right side of our defense with Periscope Johnson, some so so linebacker and Spitman Jones.  They did not do so well when Margus was in there.  Keep him if he is cheap.  If not, he will be a Minnesota Zimmer.

I would like to get Randy Bullock into camp and I don''t even remember who Hocker is.  Competition coming in, for sure, but you gotta start someplace.

Would like to see LaFell for another year, at least.

Trade McCarron while we can still get something for him.  Draft mid rounds (like McC) and bring in a waived vet or two for a look-see at backup.  Jeff Driskel was on the team as a 3rd quarterback.  Like to know what he has got and if he could be a backup.  Makes no sense to keep McC when you know he is going to walk after next season.

Funny how a year ago all the guys who hated on marvin complained that he couldn't win with "the most taented roster in the league", and now some of these same professional whiners are saying that we have no talent at all.

I never bought into the argument that we had the most talented roster in the league, but I don't think our roster is garbage now either.  

Eifert has been the biggest heartbreaker.  He could be an All pro level player, but it now looks like he just can not be counted on to stay healthy.  He is that rare player than can single handedly elevate an offense to a different level.  But even without Eifert we have some good players on offense (Green, Dalton, Gio, Boling).  On defense we have Dunlap, Geno, and MJ (not as bad as many claim) on the D-line, Burfict at LB and several good young DBs.

We need several things to break right.

Defense...Dennard and Jackson have to become solid CBs.  I think smith can help us out at safety.  And hopefully Billings can be a at least a rotational player at DT.  We need to add some more young yalent at DT and DE, but Clarke is not a bad player and needs more snaps.

Offense...We have to bring back Whit and Zeitler.  Uzo and Kroft are both elite athletes at TE and one of them needs to step up and show he can run toutes and make catched.  Boyd looks good at WR.  Gio needs to stay healthy and Rex needs to be more than a flash in the pan.

The Bengals have a ton of cap space this year (close to 50 million).  We shoiuld get a third round supplemental pick for losing so many top free agents last year (Jones, Sanu, Nelson, Andre Smith, Leon Hall) and I think we will get another 2nd or 3rd for McCarron.  That could give us 5 picks in the top 100.  We will need to do better at using these picks than we have in the last few years, but with a couple of extra picks it increases our chances to hit on some good players.

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Funny how a year ago all the guys who hated on marvin complained that he couldn't win with "the most taented roster in the league", and now some of these same professional whiners are saying that we have no talent at all.

I never bought into the argument that we had the most talented roster in the league, but I don't think our roster is garbage now either.  

Eifert has been the biggest heartbreaker.  He could be an All pro level player, but it now looks like he just can not be counted on to stay healthy.  He is that rare player than can single handedly elevate an offense to a different level.  But even without Eifert we have some good players on offense (Green, Dalton, Gio, Boling).  On defense we have Dunlap, Geno, and MJ (not as bad as many claim) on the D-line, Burfict at LB and several good young DBs.

We need several things to break right.

Defense...Dennard and Jackson have to become solid CBs.  I think smith can help us out at safety.  And hopefully Billings can be a at least a rotational player at DT.  We need to add some more young yalent at DT and DE, but Clarke is not a bad player and needs more snaps.

Offense...We have to bring back Whit and Zeitler.  Uzo and Kroft are both elite athletes at TE and one of them needs to step up and show he can run toutes and make catched.  Boyd looks good at WR.  Gio needs to stay healthy and Rex needs to be more than a flash in the pan.

The Bengals have a ton of cap space this year (close to 50 million).  We shoiuld get a third round supplemental pick for losing so many top free agents last year (Jones, Sanu, Nelson, Andre Smith, Leon Hall) and I think we will get another 2nd or 3rd for McCarron.  That could give us 5 picks in the top 100.  We will need to do better at using these picks than we have in the last few years, but with a couple of extra picks it increases our chances to hit on some good players.

Again we lost Jones, Sanu, Nelson, Andre Smith and Leon Hall and other than LaFell, the replacements are not as good.  You can't replace good NFL starters with backups. In particular, Smiths replacement had no business on the field in such an important position.

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

You can't replace good NFL starters with backups. 

Actually that is exactly what good teams aspire to do.  They draft players who are back ups for a year or two before they take over for a starter.

It is absolutely impossible for good teams to keep all of their top players every year.  There is no way to afford that.  You have to have some young guys still on rookie contracts who step up to replace starers who become too expensive.

The Bengals actually spent over the league cap ast year (thanks to sap space they had rolled over from previous year).  So how the hell could they have re-signed all of those vets who left?

On 1/5/2017 at 11:36 AM, fredtoast said:

Peeps are in full Chicken Little mode right now.

And really... People are like "Oh no! So much turnover in the next two years..." But that's how NFL contracts are structured. Guys get 4-5 year deals at best... And that requires that you turn over 50% of your team every two years. For guys like Luga and Peko - They're getting 2 year deals. We could sign them tomorrow and bemoan their free agency in 2019.

A Bengals fan in April - No way they should offer X player more than 2 years. He sucks.

A Bengals fan in January - Oh no, his contract's up in two years!

On 1/6/2017 at 11:37 AM, fredtoast said:

Actually that is exactly what good teams aspire to do.  They draft players who are back ups for a year or two before they take over for a starter.

It is absolutely impossible for good teams to keep all of their top players every year.  There is no way to afford that.  You have to have some young guys still on rookie contracts who step up to replace starers who become too expensive.

The Bengals actually spent over the league cap ast year (thanks to sap space they had rolled over from previous year).  So how the hell could they have re-signed all of those vets who left?

Yeah you knew what I ment.  Good teams develop their draft picks to become starters or in the case of many first rounders and FAs they plug them in.

Our draft picks are NOT being developed and our recent 1st rounders are not starter caliber players.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:02 PM, Big Alice said:

Other than solving the question at kicker, this team really doesn't have any holes that need to be filled.

I may be in the minority, but I feel like the offensive line issues are more a matter of play calling and scheme then they are personnel.

Clint Boling played like ass this year, but that a lot to do with his shoulder injury. Cedric Ogbuehi is not going to be a tackle in the NFL. However, I've seen enough of Eric Fisher (despite that whiff on Dunervil today) to think that he can and will be.

The receiving corps will be fine. Tyler Boyd and Cody Core got a lot of reps this year that should serve them well in Year 2. A free agent burner would be nice, but I think the pieces are pretty much in place.

On defense, every personnel group is good.

The Karlos Dansby experiment failed, but the thought of Vontaze Burfict and Nick Vigil on the field together in the nickel next year makes me happy.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what position I'd throw a sack of money at to "fix". What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Maybe.  But I still think it's WAY too early to make that call.

On 1/6/2017 at 5:05 PM, B.A.B. said:

You could probably count on one hand the number of posters who wanted Peko and Maualuga back when their last contracts were up. There is no way you don't get similar production from someone younger at league minimum. 

In 2015 Peko finished 7th among DT/NT's in sacks and 22nd in tackles.  We had a top 10 rush defense and he was a great bargain at just $3.5 million.

It may be time to move on now, but the people who complained about his last contract were proven wrong.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe.  But I still think it's WAY too early to make that call.

Yep.  I am not saying Ogbuehi will develop into a good player, but I know that a lot of the "experts" around here also claimed Andre Smith would never be anything but garbage after his second season.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:36 AM, fredtoast said:

Bengals have a ton of cap space this year (close to 50 million). 

Wow.. That says a lot. 

Cue Hobson explaining how, when you count potential injury settlements to the 2019 draft class, we're actually over the cap by about

ohhhhhhhh tree-fiddy

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wow.. That says a lot. 

Cue Hobson explaining how, when you count potential injury settlements to the 2019 draft class, we're actually over the cap by about

ohhhhhhhh tree-fiddy

Amazing how few "experts" around here don't realize that the Bengals spent over the league cap each of the last 2 years.

I am familiar with the tricks Hobson uses to make cap space disappear, but the Bengals have still been spending a lot these last couple of seasons.

35 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Amazing how few "experts" around here don't realize that the Bengals spent over the league cap each of the last 2 years.

I am familiar with the tricks Hobson uses to make cap space disappear, but the Bengals have still been spending a lot these last couple of seasons.

Who claimed to be an expert?  Lighten up, Francis.

Then explain how they are 50 mil under if they were over last year. You're the expert, after all.  It's increasing at around 10m a year lately, that doesn't begin to cover it.

Whitworth and Zeitler are essential signings.  They were the two decent linemen on a bad offensive line.  I have some faith that Fisher can hold down RT.  Center is still a serious weak spot.  They shouldn't cut Oogie-Boogie, but he should have to earn his way into the lineup based upon performance.  He used up  his first round goodwill this season.

I would expect A. Jones to be suspended for some games.  This makes letting Kirkpatrick walk a bad idea.  He annoys me, but he is a good CB.  I hope Jackson is a good one.  If he is they can cut bait with Jones in a year or two.  

I would like to see them sign Burkhead, but I agree someone else may take a liking and drive up the price.  Peerman has served his purpose.  The Bengals will need one or two RBs via draft or FA depending upon Burkhead.  You can't count on Bernard for squat next season.  If it takes a full year for him to recover, which is normal, the Bengals will probably park him on the PUP and we will have to wait until 2018 to see him.  

Other than a special teams guy I see little reason to resign Hunt.  I liked Clarke a lot better.  Johnson seems to be on the downside of his career.  Then again Johnson's marginal coverage abilities allows for some of the goofy blitzes Guenther likes, so I wouldn't expect to see him leave or marginalized.

50 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Then explain how they are 50 mil under if they were over last year. You're the expert, after all.  It's increasing at around 10m a year lately, that doesn't begin to cover it.

Expired contracts.  

I don't have time to teach you simple math that you should have learned in middle school.  But last year the league cap was $155,300 million and the Bengals cap liabilities were $156,400.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals/

The people who don't know the bengals are spending over the league cap are just as ignorant as the ones who fall for Hobs numbers, yet they like to brag about how they are too smart to fall for Hobs propaganda.

Educate yourself.

19 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Expired contracts.  

I don't have time to teach you simple math that you should have learned in middle school.  

But plenty of time to be a complete asshole on the internet.  Priorities, I guess?

19 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Educate yourself.

:rolleyes:

Go fuck yourself.

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

But plenty of time to be a complete asshole on the internet.  Priorities, I guess?

:rolleyes:

Go fuck yourself.

Sorry T-dub, but you've been asking for that.  You're a much better poster when you're not wallowing in pissivity.

13 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Sorry T-dub, but you've been asking for that.  You're a much better poster when you're not wallowing in pissivity.

Hey you're welcome to join him, too.  After this fiasco of a season I'm not trying to blow rainbows up everyone's ass.  It was an honest question and he was acting like a cunt.

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It was an honest question and he was acting like a cunt.

I apologize if I offended you.  

I honestly did not think you were serious when you claimed you did not understand how contracts expire to create new cap space each year.  Instead I thought you were just being a whiney little bitch.  My mistake.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

7 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I apologize if I offended you.  

I honestly did not think you were serious when you claimed you did not understand how contracts expire to create new cap space each year.  Instead I thought you were just being a whiney little bitch.  My mistake.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

OK, it did seem overly harsh. Obviously contracts expire every offseason but no, I honestly was not aware that teams could go over the cap that way.  Seems to make the whole concept of a salary cap a bit of a joke.

And I readily admit my mood re: all things Bengals has soured as of late.

All good, dude.  Sorry for the name-calling on my end.

Archived