Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mikey6866 said:

Whos ready for our busy ass 6th round this year?  With compensatory picks we should end up with five 6th rounders this year.

That is where Championships are won and lost!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

How do we know that?  I thought the knock on Dalton was that he couldn't win "big" games?  If that's the case, anyone with the QB skills to get drafted should be a potential upgrade.  All they have to do is not get the yips in "big" games. 

I don't, just a hunch.  Of last year's picks, Mayfield, unfortunately, is who I expected.  The other guys have not impressed me at all.  The flip side is Goff never impressed me either.  In Goff's case, getting rid of Fisher and hiring McVay was a Godsend.  Maybe the same will happen here with Dalton although I would rather have Foles (not happening).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SF2 said:

Is this the same Elway that drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st round and paid him $8.3mil to start 4 games in two years? Released him after 2 and is now a 24 year old FA?  Please take him! None of these QBs would be much better than Dalton. 

Yup. He's on the Seahawks roster now. Signed some type of future contract with them. 

 

What I was implying with all those teams possibly looking to draft a QB is that it could bold well for us trading down. Not that we need to jump on the bandwagon. 

I'm still hopeful we will draft one somewhere. Unless we're competent with Driskel as the #2. Dalton not getting any younger and this was what the second or third time he wasn't able to finish out the season?

I want the kid from Buffalo. He's raw. Never really worked with a QB coach. They're saying he's all self taught from watching YouTube videos!! 6'7 250 and has a rocket of a arm. Sit him behind Dalton and coach him up for a year or two or three. 

Say they did draft a project QB. Say Dalton plays the rest of his career like joe Montana and the project guy never sees the field. That project guy will most likely still hold his value down the road. If we take him in the 3rd this year chances are we could get that 3rd round pick back from trading him later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don't, just a hunch.  Of last year's picks, Mayfield, unfortunately, is who I expected.  The other guys have not impressed me at all.  The flip side is Goff never impressed me either.  In Goff's case, getting rid of Fisher and hiring McVay was a Godsend.  Maybe the same will happen here with Dalton although I would rather have Foles (not happening).

 

I think that ship has sailed re: Dalton.  2015 was his peak & I don't think there's enough time to both repair the OL and install a new offense, and then get him comfortable with both.  

 

Fact is most of the top talent on this roster is 30+.  Some difficult decisions to be made for a front office that seems to only make those when it's forced upon them, and then it's often the wrong one.   As I see it the choice is continue to muddle along at 8-8 flirting with the postseason or eat a couple of losing seasons in order to rebuild for a serious run at a championship.  I can say I've definitely lost patience with them talking about one while doing the other.  Firing Marvin for a new coach was the start of that process, not the end of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mikey6866 said:

Whos ready for our busy ass 6th round this year?  With compensatory picks we should end up with five 6th rounders this year.

I'm hoping a few of those will be used to move up in earlier rounds to get guys they've targeted. I know,  that pretty progressive thinking for the Bengals,  but new blood and all......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Girevik said:

I'm hoping a few of those will be used to move up in earlier rounds to get guys they've targeted. I know,  that pretty progressive thinking for the Bengals,  but new blood and all......

I dunno how valuable are 6th rounders are to be honest.  Maybe a few for a 4th rounder?  One of these guys (Amish or Tdub?) has that draft slot value chart they show every year.  6th rounders are not worth much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SF2 said:

That is where Championships are won and lost!!

The Patriots wouldn’t be in the Super Bowl without one of their 6th round picks. 😁

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason said:

The Patriots wouldn’t be in the Super Bowl without one of their 6th round picks. 😁

He wasn't a comp pick!   Gottcha!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nfl-draft-trade-value-chart-2015-nfl-draft-trade-pick-value-chart-printable-print-nfl-draft.jpg

 

I think I remember reading that we had 3 6th round comp picks coming to us  or ~42 points.  Meh, almost rather keep them and see what we could get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can only dream...

 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/30/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-7-round-mock-will-grier/

 

The offering comes from Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling, who has the Bengals hitting a big need in the first round:

11. Cincinnati Bengals | Cody Ford | OT | Oklahoma
If the Bengals are going to keep rolling with Andy Dalton, he’s gonna need all the help he can get. There are weapons at the skill positions, but the protection needs improvement, and that’s where adding a polished, athletic blocker like Ford would be a huge boost.

Ford is an ideal target who can start at right tackle immediately, which fixes quite a few problems.

More interesting is the rest of the mock:

42. Cincinnati Bengals | Mack Wilson | LB | Alabama

72. Cincinnati Bengals | Will Grier | QB | West Virginia

103. Cincinnati Bengals | Foster Moreau | TE | LSU

138. Cincinnati Bengals | Mike Bell | S | Fresno State

169. Cincinnati Bengals | Gary Jennings | WR | West Virginia

199. Cincinnati Bengals | Corbin Kaufusi | DL | BYU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

One can only dream...

 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/30/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-7-round-mock-will-grier/

 

The offering comes from Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling, who has the Bengals hitting a big need in the first round:

11. Cincinnati Bengals | Cody Ford | OT | Oklahoma
If the Bengals are going to keep rolling with Andy Dalton, he’s gonna need all the help he can get. There are weapons at the skill positions, but the protection needs improvement, and that’s where adding a polished, athletic blocker like Ford would be a huge boost.

Ford is an ideal target who can start at right tackle immediately, which fixes quite a few problems.

More interesting is the rest of the mock:

42. Cincinnati Bengals | Mack Wilson | LB | Alabama

72. Cincinnati Bengals | Will Grier | QB | West Virginia

103. Cincinnati Bengals | Foster Moreau | TE | LSU

138. Cincinnati Bengals | Mike Bell | S | Fresno State

169. Cincinnati Bengals | Gary Jennings | WR | West Virginia

199. Cincinnati Bengals | Corbin Kaufusi | DL | BYU

With the chance that 2 QBs go in the top 10 I just can't help but think there's going to be someone available at 11 that's going to be a much better player than Ford.  A guy that could make our D-line elite.  I wouldn't pass on one of those guys.

 

That said, that draft would meet needs and make us better, I wouldn't hate it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think we need at least 2 OL in the draft or we're going to have to extend the current scrubs.  If I read Spotrac correctly Glenn is the only OT signed for next season & he couldn't make it through the last one (big surprise there).  Interior OL isn't much better off with Boling the only one I'd be writing in with ink.  

 

I know I must sound like a broken record but we've gone from "we could use some depth on the OL" to "we really need to fill some holes" to "we have at best 2 (two) NFL-caliber offensive linemen."  Ketchup Whisperer set this franchise back 3-5 years.  His head should be on a pike at the PBS main gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

One can only dream...

 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/30/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-7-round-mock-will-grier/

 

The offering comes from Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling, who has the Bengals hitting a big need in the first round:

11. Cincinnati Bengals | Cody Ford | OT | Oklahoma
If the Bengals are going to keep rolling with Andy Dalton, he’s gonna need all the help he can get. There are weapons at the skill positions, but the protection needs improvement, and that’s where adding a polished, athletic blocker like Ford would be a huge boost.

Ford is an ideal target who can start at right tackle immediately, which fixes quite a few problems.

More interesting is the rest of the mock:

42. Cincinnati Bengals | Mack Wilson | LB | Alabama

72. Cincinnati Bengals | Will Grier | QB | West Virginia

103. Cincinnati Bengals | Foster Moreau | TE | LSU

138. Cincinnati Bengals | Mike Bell | S | Fresno State

169. Cincinnati Bengals | Gary Jennings | WR | West Virginia

199. Cincinnati Bengals | Corbin Kaufusi | DL | BYU

I think this would be a pretty damn good draft

 

although it feels to me like we need to draft more than one o-lineman  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

* Was hoping at one point that Josh Allen would be there when the Bengals pick, but now it looks like he won't make it out of the Top 5.  Just glad the Stoolers won't get him (thought he was a prototype 3-4 OLB for them).  Built for a 3-4, but I believe he could be a starting 4-3 OLB.  Covers very well for a guy his size.

 

* Sucks that OT is so down this year.  Not even sure if the guys that are at the top of the list are LTs.  Guess they could take a RT, but I'd rather they get an LT and move Glenn to RT.  I believe there is still enough need along the offensive front that the Bengals really need to add at least three OLs capable of stepping in right away.  They have to have a starting tackle and considering how difficulty it is for Glenn to stay off of IR, I also want a backup tackle candidate.  I also think they need a strong interior guy to push at RG.  They almost have to make a significant signing in FA.

 

* Are the Bengals in line for any comp picks in this draft?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snarkster said:

 

 

* Sucks that OT is so down this year.  Not even sure if the guys that are at the top of the list are LTs.  Guess they could take a RT, but I'd rather they get an LT and move Glenn to RT.  I believe there is still enough need along the offensive front that the Bengals really need to add at least three OLs capable of stepping in right away.  They have to have a starting tackle and considering how difficulty it is for Glenn to stay off of IR, I also want a backup tackle candidate.  I also think they need a strong interior guy to push at RG.  They almost have to make a significant signing in FA.

 

 

The easy option is to bring back the crappy players they already know.  I don't see starting 3 draft picks so really it's a question of how much they're willing to spend on FA's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snarkster said:

* Was hoping at one point that Josh Allen would be there when the Bengals pick, but now it looks like he won't make it out of the Top 5.  Just glad the Stoolers won't get him (thought he was a prototype 3-4 OLB for them).  Built for a 3-4, but I believe he could be a starting 4-3 OLB.  Covers very well for a guy his size.

 

* Sucks that OT is so down this year.  Not even sure if the guys that are at the top of the list are LTs.  Guess they could take a RT, but I'd rather they get an LT and move Glenn to RT.  I believe there is still enough need along the offensive front that the Bengals really need to add at least three OLs capable of stepping in right away.  They have to have a starting tackle and considering how difficulty it is for Glenn to stay off of IR, I also want a backup tackle candidate.  I also think they need a strong interior guy to push at RG.  They almost have to make a significant signing in FA.

 

* Are the Bengals in line for any comp picks in this draft?

 

 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/07/nfl-compensatory-picks-projections-bengals/

 

three 6th rounders ... woo hoo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

The easy option is to bring back the crappy players they already know.  I don't see starting 3 draft picks so really it's a question of how much they're willing to spend on FA's.  

Add in the fact that the better OTs rairly make it to FA. Whitworth at 35 was a pretty big gamble for the Rams but their goal was to rent him for 2 years. Decent and available mid career  OTs are rare and expensive. More likely to get an injury prone guy like Glenn or lower tier player like Hart.  Our reality was that Glenn and Hart were far better than what we had,...which is sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 9:28 AM, SF2 said:

I dunno how valuable are 6th rounders are to be honest.  Maybe a few for a 4th rounder?  One of these guys (Amish or Tdub?) has that draft slot value chart they show every year.  6th rounders are not worth much.

I was thinking more to move up in a round to ensure you get your guy.  Those picks by themselves doubt get much,  but one or two of then packaged with say a 3rd to move up in the 3rd should be doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 6:09 AM, Jason said:

With the chance that 2 QBs go in the top 10 I just can't help but think there's going to be someone available at 11 that's going to be a much better player than Ford.  A guy that could make our D-line elite.  I wouldn't pass on one of those guys.

 

That said, that draft would meet needs and make us better, I wouldn't hate it.  

I think the thinking is Ford would be the RT and would be a top tier RT....just not a LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think the thinking is Ford would be the RT and would be a top tier RT....just not a LT.

I understand that. But I don’t think he’ll be close to BPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason said:

I understand that. But I don’t think he’ll be close to BPA. 

I haven't looked but are there any RT's that are better than what we have in FA this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I haven't looked but are there any RT's that are better than what we have in FA this year?

No clue. Although Saffold, the Rams LG is a free agent and he might be able to play RT. 

But give me BPA in 1 and RT in 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, Jason said:

I understand that. But I don’t think he’ll be close to BPA. 

I dunno. It takes time to develop o lineman and at some point extreme need has to outweigh the BPA strategy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...