2021 Mock Draft Simulators

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

There's very few people that believe he's going to be anything other than a OT as a pro. He would obviously make a fantastic guard but most think he's going to stick on the outside. His foot quickness is second to none which alleviates any concerns about size. Although 6'4 305 isn't bad at all, IMO.

Few people?...maybe..

Im one of them...

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

There's very few people that believe he's going to be anything other than a OT as a pro. He would obviously make a fantastic guard but most think he's going to stick on the outside. His foot quickness is second to none which alleviates any concerns about size. Although 6'4 305 isn't bad at all, IMO.

I’ve seen at least one “expert” say his best position might be center.  At his size I don’t know if the Bengals would consider him a tackle, especially when they already have a small-ish tackle in Jonah. 

From the Athletic (should not really post the whole thing here but really who cares) , interesting how each prospect has scouts who like them and ones who don't - reinforces the notion that the draft truly is a crapshoot:

Mac Jones? Justin Fields? Ja’Marr Chase? Scouts’ takes on 30 top offensive players in 2021 NFL Draft

Bob McGinn 6h agocomment-icon.png 23 save-icon.png

Following interviews with seven executives in personnel, here is Part 1 (offensive players) of a look at the 60 players they view as most likely to lead off the NFL Draft next month. Players are listed by position in current order of value. Forty-three of the 60 declared for the draft early as underclassmen.

All interviews were conducted before the start of pro days March 5; the NFL combine in February was canceled because of the coronavirus. Thus, these evaluations can and will change substantially over the next seven weeks as teams obtain 40-yard dash times, testing results, medical information and additional player interviews. Heights are rounded to the nearest half-inch when official measurements were available.

The top prospects on defense will roll out later this week.

Wide receivers (6)

Ja’Marr Chase, Louisiana State (6-foot-0, 208 pounds): In 2019, Justin Jefferson averaged 13.9 yards per catch and had 18 touchdowns for the Tigers compared to 21.1 and 20, respectively, for Chase. “I thought Chase was on a different level,” said one scout. “Watching what Jefferson did this year (with the Vikings), that just makes me say, ‘Good Lord.’ Honestly, I thought he was the best receiver in the class last year.”

Chase opted out of the 2020 season more to prepare for the NFL than COVID-19 fears. “I have concerns,” the scout said. “Even when you’re training at the highest level, it’s different than playing football. I could see his rookie year starting off slow.” Extremely well built, both upper and lower body. “Look at his legs,” another scout said. “That’s a real man there. He’ll be a No. 1 wide receiver on a team right away. He’ll need to tighten up his routes a little bit. Unbelievably competitive, unbelievable work ethic. The school loves the kid. You want to be around him. Got that rebounder mentality. He’s better than Amari Cooper.”

DeVonta Smith, Alabama (6-foot-0, 170 pounds): First receiver to win the Heisman Trophy since Desmond Howard in 1991. First wideout ever to win the Associated Press national player of the year award. “I don’t think I’ve seen a receiver with his flexibility,” one scout said. “That’s why he can change directions so quickly. I don’t recall anyone changing direction like this guy. It’s just totally amazing. I thought he was a little like Marvin Harrison.”

When Harrison left Syracuse in 1996 as the No. 19 overall pick, he measured 6-foot-0, weighed 185 and ran a 4.35 40. “Marvin was faster,” another scout said. “Smith is quick as hell. His routes are amazing. His hands and ball skills are excellent. He’s stronger than he looks. But I don’t know if he’ll be 170. He looks tiny, and he is not explosively fast. There really is no precedent for somebody like him. Any time DeSean Jackson stepped on the field, he was the most explosively fast guy ever. The worry with this guy is, will what he does transfer? He’ll play. He’ll be a good player. But is he a true No. 1?” Clocked just 4.52 last March.

Jaylen Waddle, Alabama (5-foot-10, 182 pounds): Smith averaged 16.9 yards per catch during four seasons for the Crimson Tide, whereas Waddle checked in at 18.9 in three seasons. “I compared him to Tyreek Hill even though he was much more productive on the college level,” said one scout. “Tyreek Hill ability but more polished. Vision, burst, elusive.”

Also averaged 19.3 yards on 38 punt returns and 23.8 yards on nine kickoff returns. “He’s the best playmaker of the group entering the NFL,” said another scout. “His run-after is exceptional.” Played behind Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs earlier in his career. “In the scouting process, he’ll overtake Smith just like last year Ruggs overtook Jeudy,” said a third scout. “Whereas Jeudy was the guy at Alabama, the go-to guy, Ruggs was the speed guy with the (potential). Then Ruggs blew out the 40. Waddle will do the same thing. I’m not that crazy about Waddle. Waddle isn’t really a natural route runner. Doesn’t have natural ball skills. He’s one of those manufactured types because he’s so fast as opposed to just a natural receiver. I’d take Smith over Waddle.”

Rondale Moore, Purdue (5-foot-9, 180 pounds): Third-year junior. “Fun little guy to watch,” said one scout. “Just not special for being that small. The injuries are very, very concerning for a guy that small. Lower leg injuries. To be that small, you better be magical, and he’s not that.” Broke out with 114 receptions, 1,258 receiving yards and 12 TDs as a freshman in 2018. Had 64 catches for 657 and two TDs in seven games over the past two seasons.

“He’s a wild card,” said another scout. “He’s small but really strong. His speed and quickness are wows. He’s really hard to man-cover. His tape from 2018 was out of this world. For a team that wants a slot receiver, he is dynamic. Maybe he is a first-rounder. It would kind of be a luxury pick. I saw him more as a really good second-round pick.” Added a third scout: “You have to go back and watch him when he was a freshman because he really hasn’t done that much since. I don’t know what happened with him. When he played, he wasn’t as good.”

Elijah Moore, Mississippi (5-foot-9, 198 pounds): Compared by some scouts to Hill and Antonio Brown. “He has the skills that will make him better in the pros,” said one scout. “Guys like Alvin Kamara and Stefon Diggs went later in the draft. The college game can only show so much they can do. He’s tough. Some people, with the size, think he can only be a slot receiver. I think he can play inside or outside. He’s strong.” Improved each of his three seasons.

“Ja’Marr (Chase) is on another level, but this guy is my favorite guy to watch,” another scout said. “They line him up everywhere. He’s not explosive speed, but he has such pace on his routes and stop-start quickness that he gets everybody off balance. Ball skills are natural, fluid. He’s slick with his run after catch. Love him as a player.” Returned 39 kicks but never scored a TD. “He runs a lot of short routes, but I don’t really see top speed,” a third scout said. “I don’t see explosion from the small guy. He had the one big game against Florida. He’s not like a Tyreek Hill or Waddle.”

Kadarius Toney, Florida (5-foot-11, 189 pounds): High school quarterback from Mobile, Ala. Was a backup WR in three injury-filled seasons before emerging as a threat in 2020 with 70 receptions and 10 TDs. “Really good player,” said one scout. “Kind of unique in what he does. More of a gadget kind of guy. Everybody uses Deebo Samuel as the example. More of an underneath, get-the-ball-in-his-hands type of guy as opposed to a true silky, downfield, run-routes type receiver.”

Showed promise returning punts (averaging 12.6 yards) in 2020. “He’s got enough talent, but he just doesn’t know how to play the position,” another scout said. “Basically, they tailored a package to his skill set. ‘We’re going to do these routes and get the ball in your hands.’ I kind of liked the kid. He was very real. He’s got some swagger. He actually has, like, two (recorded) albums and three additional singles. It’s a concern whether he has enough commitment to do it at this level with all the stuff he has going on.” Added a third scout: “Music seems to be his passion, more so than football.” His skills were compared by a fourth scout to ex-Gator Percy Harvin.

Tight ends (2)

Kyle Pitts, Florida (6-foot-6, 250 pounds): Maybe the least nit-picked player in the draft. “The question was, could he block better in 2020 than he did in ’19?” said one scout. “In ’19, he blocked like crap. This year, he defied all the odds, gained some weight and blocked his ass off. Low-maintenance. Loves football. He’s a difference-maker. I think he had zero drops this year. More fluid than Vernon Davis.” Averaged 17.9 yards per catch in final season.

“He’s better than the two guys from Iowa two years ago (T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant) combined,” a second scout said. “He has Hall of Fame potential as a receiver. Just unique.” Regarded by one team as the second-best player in the draft. “You look at (Travis) Kelce and (George) Kittle, the success they’ve had, there’s no comparison as far as athletic ability to this guy,” a third scout said. “I usually don’t go for that position that high, but I would take him in the top 10. He even tries to block. Played hurt, too. For a young quarterback, I’d like to have this guy on my team.”

Pat Freiermuth, Penn State (6-foot-5, 258 pounds): Compared by scouts to conventional tight ends Zach Miller, Drew Sample and Heath Miller. “If you want a traditional, solid, blocking, that kind of guy, he’s your guy,” said one scout. “He grew on me. Not a nifty athlete. He’s an inline-type, zone route runner. He’s not going to athletically, speed-wise, beat people in man-to-man with routes, but he knows how to settle in a zone and catch the ball. He’s the best blocker of the group. He works, attacks, can bury guys.” Played just four games in 2020.

“He’s a good player, but I just don’t think he can run,” another scout said. “You watch the Ohio State games two straight years and the linebacker, No. 20 (Pete Werner), had no problem at all covering him. That’s what got me disappointed in him. He’s a productive receiver and blocker, but he lacks top speed. He’s your old-time tight end. He’s a much better blocker than Hockenson, but he’s not the receiver Hockenson was.”

Offensive line (13)

Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 330 pounds): Started 20 games at left tackle in 2018 and 2019 before opting out in 2020. “I compared him to (Tony) Boselli but with quicker feet,” one scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. It’s very seldom you find a big-time athlete that is nasty, too. Anthony Munoz and Boselli, guys like that, they really liked to put guys on their tail. But, he didn’t play this year.” Won’t turn 21 until mid-October. “His deal will be character,” a second scout said. “It’s been easy for him. I don’t know that he’s 100 percent pro right now. He has to deal with some growing pains in terms of professionalism. But the guy is tough and passionate on the field.”

Comes from a football family. “Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” said a third scout. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way with things, but he’s not a really good finisher and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

Rashawn Slater, Northwestern (6-foot-4, 304 pounds): The Wildcats’ best offensive-line prospect since Chris Hinton, the No. 4 pick in 1983 who made the Pro Bowl seven times. “I see him as Zack Martin,” said one scout. “He may not be as good, but Zack could play tackle. I see Slater more as a right tackle, but I think he’d be a special guard and a good left tackle. He’s not going to disappoint.”

Started at right tackle in 2017 and ’18 and at left tackle in ’19 before opting out. “Very smart, fast processor,” a second scout said. “Got really good hands. Understands angles. There are very few issues in pass (protection). He held up pretty well against Chase Young (in 2019). He opted out because he was thinking about coming out last year. He’ll be way better inside.”

Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC (6-foot-4, 315 pounds): Redshirted in 2017, backup in ’18, starter at left guard in ’19 and at left tackle in ’20. “He was thinking about opting out but got talked into coming back to USC,” one scout said. “He played left tackle, and I think that really helped his value to show he could do it. He’s going to be a better guard than David DeCastro. He’s strong at the point of attack. He’s OK with learning. He needs to do a better job understanding stunts and twists.”

Replaced left tackle Austin Jackson, who was drafted in the first round by the Dolphins. “He’s quick and sudden with his hands,” said a second scout. “He’s got twitch in his movements. He’s got balance, he can slide. He could start at multiple positions. Looks more like a guard on tape.”

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech (6-foot-5, 314 pounds): Three-year starter at left tackle. “Super light on his feet,” said one scout. “Just effortless with everything he does. That kind of plays into his negatives a little bit. It’s always been easy for him. Does this guy have the drive, the competitiveness? He’s, like, too cool for school. Part of it is, it’s easy for him. Part of it is, get your ass moving. He has every bit as much talent as the top guys. It’s if you can marry yourself to the kid.”

His play tempo was described as “so casual” by a second scout, who added, “He’s got all the talent in the world.” A third scout said: “I don’t get it with him. He’s a really, really good short-area athlete, but this guy has no effort, no finish. I haven’t seen a guy in a while that’s such a play-watcher. If you have an offensive lineman that’s always watching the play, there’s a problem. He just doesn’t show the effort. He doesn’t play strong. Just a major disappointment.”

Jackson Carman, Clemson (6-foot-5, 335 pounds): Played 209 snaps off the bench as a true freshman in 2018 before starting at left tackle for two years. “He’s athletic, he’s mean, just really strong,” said one scout. “You can’t power-rush the guy at all, plus he’s a really good bender. He could play any of the four positions other than center. He can be a really good starting left tackle. Little bit of a loner, an independent contractor. Will he be a culture fit?”

Top player in the state of Ohio at Fairfield Senior High. “Everybody talks about him, but I think he’s been reading his press clippings,” a second scout said. “He doesn’t work to finish. He’ll work in pass (protection). He does do that pretty well. And he’s got back issues.” Carman’s talent warrants a high selection, according to a third scout, but not his performance level. “His issue is focus,” the scout said.

Jalen Mayfield, Michigan (6-foot-5, 320 pounds): Played three games off the bench as a true freshman in 2018, started 13 games at right tackle in ’19 and the first two games in ’20 before an injury led him to conclude his collegiate career. “The longer I kept watching him, I thought this guy can be a really good guard,” one scout said. “Somebody will try to make him a tackle. I’m not sure somebody won’t try to make him a left tackle because he has enough athletic ability. He’s got great bend. He did the pulling and movement in space stuff really good. For all his immaturity, I thought he played pretty smart. He’s only 20. He’s got a bad body and hasn’t been a very committed guy for the majority of his career, but I thought he was tough on the field.”

Compared by two scouts to 49ers right tackle Mike McGlinchey, the No. 9 pick in 2018. “He’s not as long as McGlinchey,” said a second scout. “Short arms will create issues for him. He needs to work on his body a little bit. Needs a little stronger base. You’re betting on potential. Has good toughness. He’s got power on his combos. He competes.”

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama (6-4½, 312): Started 41 of 48 games, including 2018 at right guard and ’19 and ’20 at left tackle. “He’ll play,” one scout said. “He’s solid. You love his length. But he’s not really gifted athletically, and he doesn’t play that strong. He doesn’t have a lot of grit to him. He just kind of does everything OK, OK, OK, just nothing elite. Someone may fall in love just because it’s an Alabama offensive lineman. Every year they don’t do anything, but every year we keep taking ’em. He just kind of falls in line with a lot of those ’Bama guys of the past.”

Graduated in 2½ years. All-Academic honoree in the Southeastern Conference. “During games he seems to lose concentration and has all these penalties,” said another scout. “He does something really good and then something stupid. More talented than (Cincinnati’s) Jonah Williams. Really a nice athlete.”

Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame (6-foot-5½, 305 pounds): Three-year starter at left tackle after two seasons as a reserve. “Is he ever going to be a Pro Bowler?” said one scout. “Probably not. But I think he’s going to be a really good pro for a long time. He’s a really good second-round pick. I’m not sure he couldn’t play every position. He’s not a dynamic left-tackle athlete. I’d rather have him at right tackle, but he can play left tackle. He doesn’t do anything great, but he does everything really well. His level of consistency improved this year.”

On the quiet side. Not a vocal presence. Dedicated to football. “Just really productive and steady,” a second scout said. “For a big guy, he can bend. He’s got balance and good feet. He really can position. He works to stay on blocks. He’s patient in pass (protection). He’s not elite athletically but he’s good for his size. He’s going to start soon and be one of those guys that plays a long time.”

Samuel Cosmi, Texas (6-foot-7, 309 pounds): Started 34 of 35 games from 2018 through ’20, lining up at right tackle as a redshirt freshman and at left tackle the past two seasons. “He is a good athlete and he has some feet,” said one scout. “Athletic zone type. Needs to play stronger and be more physical. He reminded me of that Jonah Williams guy.”

Two personnel men graded him in the third round. “He tries to be physical, I’ll give him that,” said a second scout. “That’s one thing he does. But he can’t bend his hips. He doesn’t know how to use his hands. His pad level is always so high.” Listed as a guard by at least one team. “I can’t get on his wagon right now,” said a third scout. “He’s not very long, and I didn’t see a (top) competitor. He’s not nearly the athlete that Darrisaw is. I saw bust potential based on talent. His character is really good. I just didn’t see it in his (play).”

Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State (6-foot-5½, 304 pounds): Packers OT/G Billy Turner, the 67th player selected in 2014, is the Bison’s highest-drafted offensive lineman. “He’s better than Turner,” one scout said. “Got a little nasty demeanor to him. He’s got room to put strength on. He loves to practice football. Longer defenders give him some problems around the edge. He’s got a degree of tightness in his lower body that really hurts him.”

Told an interviewer he hasn’t been on a team that lost a game in six years. “Turner was a much more athletic, quicker-twitch type player than this guy,” said a second scout. “He’s just a dime-a-dozen player. He’s OK. Played left tackle, but this guy has to be a guard. Maybe a couple-years-down-the-line developmental type.” All 32 of his starts were at left tackle. Suffered a torn ACL on the 15th play of his redshirt freshman season.

Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State (6-foot-6½, 320 pounds): Started 34 games over four seasons, including 25 at right tackle, seven at left tackle and two at right guard. “He’s a big, athletic kid,” said one scout. “He’s got really good feet. Arms are a little short, so he may end up having to play guard.” Josh Sills, a guard and grad transfer in 2020 from West Virginia, took Jenkins under his wing and got him playing harder. “This year, he played mean,” said another scout. “In 2019, there were times you scratched your head and said, ‘What the hell are you doing, man? Get after it.’ He’s got kind of a soft personality, but if you watch the 2020 film, he’s not soft. Talent-wise, it’s there.”

Said a third scout: “He’s gigantic, slow feet, marginal athlete. Just very limited with his feet and athletic ability to survive.” A fourth scout didn’t like his strength or feet and graded him as a free agent. “He can’t take hard coaching, but he’s very smart and has a mauler’s mentality,” said a fifth scout. “He’s a 20-to-40 (draft) guy. He’s got size. Plays nasty. He gets a little inconsistent, but not bad.”

James Hudson, Cincinnati (6-foot-4½, 302 pounds): Redshirted as a defensive lineman at Michigan in 2017 before moving to tackle in ’18 and playing in three games. Transferred in ’19, but Michigan contested his release. Didn’t make his debut with the Bearcats until the Birmingham Bowl in late 2019. Started at left tackle in ’20. “He’s raw, but he’s probably the best natural athlete (among the offensive linemen in the draft),” one scout said. “He’s quick. He’s aggressive. He plays like a (defensive) lineman. He tries to strike guys, which is to his detriment at this point. He’s got to learn some patience and technique. He’s got a lot to work with.”

Was removed from consideration by one team because of off-field factors. “He’s got some issues with consistency and maturity,” said another scout. “He may not be a first- or second-round pick on every board, but I would bet money that he is on 10 of them. If one team brings him in and lets him talk to their doctors and they say he’s fine, they’ll take him in the second. You only have to get picked by one.”

Landon Dickerson, Alabama (6-foot-6, 326 pounds): Played three years at Florida State and two at Alabama. His only full season was 2019. The other four ended with either knee or ankle operations. “Love him,” said one scout. “Nothing I don’t like about him except he’s got an ACL (injury). Big, powerful, great guy. Really mature. Undisputed leader of the team. He’s tough. He can maul you. Biggest question will always be durability.” Started as a true freshman for the Seminoles in 2016 but blew out his right ACL in Game 7. In ’17, he played four games before undergoing right ankle surgery. In ’18, he played one game before undergoing left ankle surgery. In ’20, he suffered a torn left ACL in the SEC Championship Game.

“Dickerson is one nasty person,” a second scout said. “Gives 100 percent on every play. He just wants to knock people around. This guy isn’t a good athlete. He’s a stiff, straight-line guy. He’s on the ground all the time.” Won numerous awards. Weighed 344 in March 2020. Large hands (10 5/8 inches) but short arms (32 3/4). “It’s a wonderful story, and that’s why I think he’s getting all the hype,” said a third scout. “Hurt his knee, still wanted to play (in the college football championship game), took the last snap, all that. But he’s not that good. He’s been hurt his whole life, and he’s limited athletically. Does the guy have any talent? No. Just a guy.” At Alabama, he generally started at center but did make four starts at right guard in 2019.

Quarterbacks (6)

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson (6-foot-6, 220 pounds): In three seasons, he passed for 90 touchdowns and ran for another 18. “Rare arm talent,” said one scout. “He’s humble, a faith-based guy. He’ll handle anything being the franchise quarterback. There are a lot of people who say he’s the best quarterback to come out since Andrew Luck. Is he a product of the system? Everything that comes out of there says he really is smart. This year, he started getting his touch back. His accuracy was better.”

Lawrence went through an individual workout Feb. 12, four days before undergoing surgery to repair labrum damage in his non-throwing shoulder. Expected to be ready by mid-July. “He is a great athlete and has a strong arm,” a second scout said. “The guy has a chance to be great. But you break him down, game after game, he’s not an accurate passer. Where he has problems is inside the numbers. Inconsistent touch. Is he Josh Allen or Blake Bortles? Bortles was a big-time athlete, but he wasn’t accurate. People were all excited about size and the way Bortles could run. … The ACC is not a good league, OK? The only real competition they (Clemson) get every year is in the playoffs. He didn’t play well. Even when they beat Ohio State, he beat them running, not passing. They totally shut the guy down.”

Finished second in Heisman Trophy voting in 2020, seventh in ’19. “I’d take Joe Burrow over Trevor Lawrence,” said a third scout. “He was a better player. More of a playmaker. The ACC stinks. Everything is so easy for him. This was for three years. Now when he played LSU, Ohio State this year, Miami, Virginia Tech, there were times he had to speed up and he looked average. When you put him against other elite competition, he has not stepped up. When Deshaun Watson was there and he played Alabama two years in a row, that guy was by far the best player on the field. A superstar. I never saw that with Trevor Lawrence. On designed things he can run, but if he has to quickly get out of trouble, he does not do that well. If he threw for 300 yards in a game, 250 of it would be just the quick design of the offense. Their coordinator (Tony Elliott) is amazing.”

Zach Wilson, Brigham Young (6-foot-2, 210 pounds): Three-star recruit. “He will not be the first pick in the draft, but he should be,” one scout said. “Love him. He’s just a natural. He just has the movement, the looseness, the throwing from all angles, the jumping around in the pocket. His release is quick as hell. He can throw the ball. He is a nifty, elusive type in the pocket. He can run a little bit.” Battled injuries as the starter in 2018 and ’19, and underwent surgeries to repair a labrum and hand. Vastly improved in 2020 with an NFL passer rating of 138.2, up from 84.9 in 2019.

Some scouts worry that his slight frame might lead to durability issues. “How big is he?” asked one. “He’s only going to be like 205 (pounds). He may be only 6-(foot)-1. He’s been spoiled a little bit, too.” A fourth scout described him as a combination of Kyler Murray and Patrick Mahomes. Retorted another scout: “There’s a vast difference (to Mahomes). The physical skills of throwing the football, he’s not even close to humming the ball like Patrick. I don’t know if he’s innately competitive and tough as Patrick. Patrick’s probably smarter, too.”

Justin Fields, Ohio State (6-foot-3, 228 pounds): Spent his freshman season at Georgia before transferring and becoming a two-year starter. “He’s a modern-day RPO quarterback,” said one scout. “He’s a naturally accurate ball thrower and the ball gets out of his hands, too. He’s not a runner like Lamar (Jackson), but he’s way better than Jalen Hurts was. He will have to learn progressions. Very athletic. Very cool demeanor. Plus, he’s sturdy.”

Led the Buckeyes to a 1-2 record in the College Football Playoff. “Love his makeup, the playmaking, his competitiveness, the movement,” a second scout said. “He’s poised. He stepped up in the big games. He’s just not a quick processor in the pocket. He’s more methodical. That’s a worry. He had the streak in the Indiana game: ‘What is this guy doing?’” Passed for 67 TDs and ran for another 19. “He is one of the top athletes (at quarterback) of all time,” a third scout said. “Best thing Fields does is throw the deep ball. But is he Jameis Winston? That’s who I see. I see the best quarterback in the draft on one play, and on the next play, I see a guy that makes stupid mistakes. Throws off his back foot a lot. Has a lot of balls tipped. He’s a first-rounder, but I wouldn’t take him until the bottom (of the round).”

Passer rating was 127.6. “He played his worst game in the Big Ten Championship (game) against Northwestern, yet they still found a way to win,” said a fourth scout. “People are saying they don’t even belong there (in the playoff), and he plays a damn near perfect game against Clemson. In the national championship, he carried them. What would be ideal for him would be to go somewhere and not have to play the first year. But the physical talent is so wow, they’re going to see that in practice and say, ‘This guy has to play.’ There needs to be a tremendous amount of growth, which I think he is capable of.”

Mac Jones, Alabama (6-foot-2½, 217 pounds): Started the final four games of 2019 for an injured Tua Tagovailoa, then went all the way in ’20 for the national champions. “They may have had the best offense this year in the history of college football, but Joe Burrow had a great supporting cast, too,” said one scout. “He is totally amazing when you break him down. Disciplined person, excellent work ethic, goal-oriented. He has a feel (for the rush). The great ones are not big-time runners. Poised, confident. I think he’ll probably go middle of the first.”

Completed a record 77.4 percent of his passes in 2020. “He could be the steal of the bunch,” said a second scout. “Nobody’s saying, ‘Hey, he’s this guy,’ but there are some Tom Brady comparisons.” Countered a third scout: “How can anyone compare him to Brady? I wouldn’t compare anybody to Tom Brady. Ever. How many guys with similar tools failed? If this guy’s the next Brady, trade your next seven first-round picks. Give up your head coach. Trade your owner.” His passer rating of 143.1 in 2020 left his career mark at 138.2. “When I watched him, I said this was A.J. McCarron all over again,” a fourth scout said. “The offense. The players around him. He’s got a slow delivery. He labors in his movements. If he’s in rhythm and everything is working for him, he’s a machine. I just question everything about his natural talent, his playmaking, his ability to face pressure and make plays.”

Practiced at the Senior Bowl but missed the game because of an ankle injury. “Honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with him at the Senior Bowl,” said a fifth scout. “I just didn’t think he stood out at all. He stood out in a bad way. He didn’t look very strong. He didn’t look very athletic. He just didn’t look like a starter you want in the NFL.”

Trey Lance, North Dakota State (6-foot-4, 226 pounds): Redshirted in 2018, started 16 games for the FCS national champions in ’19 and started the Bison’s only game in ’20. “He’s really talented,” one scout said. “I’m not going to say he throws it better than Trevor Lawrence, but he definitely throws it better than Zach Wilson and as well as (Justin) Fields arm strength-wise. Josh Allen was more talented, but a year ago Lance was a much more efficient player. Josh threw interceptions in college, especially against good defenses. Lance definitely fits the mold of what you want to look for. The natural, God-given ability, he has it.”

Posted a passer rating of 130.1 in 2019 while running for 1,100 yards and 14 TDs. “He’s a better runner than Lawrence and the same level as Fields,” said a second scout. “He’s an aggressive runner. That’s the problem. He takes on people all the time. Physically, he’s gifted. He’s a myth, a one-year-and-one-game starter.” Playing in Fargo Oct. 3 against a Central Arkansas team that finished 5-4, Lance was 15-of-30 for 149 yards, two TDs and one interception. He did rush 15 times for 143 yards. Declared for the draft three days later. “He should not have played that game,” said a third scout. “He looked awful. Looked like a fourth-round pick. No accuracy. No pocket poise. He fumbled the ball. He looked like a developmental backup guy. Straight-line type athlete. He reminded me of Jameis Winston where it’s not really a fluid, natural motion or natural movement in the pocket. He kind of has to gather his whole body to throw.”

Two scouts said they’d take him over Jordan Love. “You like the taste, but it’s a small sample,” a fourth scout said. “I like his tools. I think he can be good, but would I bank on it? There’s not enough information for me. A lot of unknowns there that would give me pause.”

Kyle Trask, Florida (6-foot-4½, 240 pounds): High-school backup in Manvel, Texas, who was offered by the Gators based on his showing at a camp. “He didn’t even start in high school,” said one scout. “He’s lucky to be a starting quarterback. He has numbers, but I think there’s better out there.” Redshirted in 2016, broke his left foot in August 2017 and broke his right foot in September 2018. Took over the starting job in 2019. “Reminds me of Jared Goff,” said a second scout. “Pocket quarterback with height, arm strength, accuracy. High three-quarters release, quick release. Tight ball. Throws well in and outside the numbers. He can move around the pocket, but he doesn’t have quickness. He does have good pocket awareness. I think he’s a first-rounder.”

Posted a passer rating of 117.1. Improved each year. “Similar to (Mac) Jones,” a third scout said. “He’s got a little more moxie than Mac. He’s a game manager. Average arm. He’s gets in rhythm good, but if he has to reset and throw, it’s over with. He’s a backup type. If he ends up starting, you’ve got a bad team.” Tossed three interceptions for the Gators’ depleted offense in their first three possessions of the Cotton Bowl, his final game. Said a fourth scout: “We see him as a backup. He can’t move. Totally immobile.”

Running backs (3)

Najee Harris, Alabama (6-foot-2, 232 pounds): According to one scout, he’s the best player in the draft, and another said he would be a strong candidate for No. 1. “Full-time player,” said one scout. “Reminds me of Derrick Henry. I have a feeling he’ll run in the 4.5 (in the 40) because he runs away from people in that league (the SEC), and that league I know has speed. Only negative I had was he absorbs punishment because he likes to run through tacklers instead of going around them.”

Led the nation in yards from scrimmage (1,891) and rushing touchdowns (26) in 2020. “He’s what you want,” said a second scout. “He’s quick. Got natural run vision and feel. Hands are good. Maximizes his runs. He’s a better Matt Forte is what I described him as. He doesn’t get hit (hard). He slip-slides.” One of 11 children from Antioch, Calif. “He does have a little bit of ‘I’m more important,’ and that could hold him back a little bit,” said a third scout. “You need to stroke him a little bit. He’s a little bit selfish. He doesn’t seem interested in pass (protection). He’s going to have to learn to do it. But he’s got exceptional hands coming out of the backfield and can move in space for a big man.”

Travis Etienne, Clemson (5-foot-10, 212 pounds): Ranks seventh all-time in NCAA career rushing average (7.2). “I think he might be (the first running back drafted) just for the explosive ability,” one scout said. “People will be enamored with his home-run ability and the change of pace. He can press the defense, stick his foot in the ground and haul ass.” From Jennings, La., he was the Tigers’ final recruit in their class of 2017. “He maybe runs a little bit like Melvin Gordon,” said another scout. “He’s got a little bit of Jamaal Charles in him with the acceleration. He’s tough, got great production and is an explosive inside runner. He had a few fumbles this year, which is a little concerning. Small-town kid. His FBI (football intelligence) early will be a fight. He’s the type of guy that will take it to the defense.”

His four-season totals included 70 rushing TDs and eight receiving TDs. “A lot of his production is more system-based than talent-based,” a third scout said. “He benefits from big holes. (Clemson used) him well in the passing game. His feet and body control, he’s kind of all over the place. He doesn’t play big.”

Javonte Williams, North Carolina (5-foot-10, 220 pounds): Combined with Michael Carter to give the Tar Heels one of the nation’s top 1-2 rushing combinations. Voted team’s offensive MVP. “I have him as my second back over Najee (Harris) and behind Etienne,” said one scout. “He’ll be top 50. Josh Jacobs (of the Raiders) is a good comparison. He’s not as violent (as Jacobs). Jacobs plays mean, like with an edge. Javonte definitely has the same level of strength and contact balance.”

In final season, he averaged 7.3 yards per rush and 12.2 yards per reception. “He’s a workhorse,” said another scout. “Really knows how to run the ball. He’s just a one-gear, grind-it-out runner. You’d like to have him in a rotation.” Third-year junior whose production increased each season. “He’s not going to be the fastest guy on the field, but he can break tackles and can get big chunks,” said a third scout. “Got toughness in his running style. Maybe one of the strongest guys you’ve been around in the weight room for his size. It’s his strength and physical passion. Guys just bounce off this guy. He’s got to work on his receiving.”

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

Was just coming to post this myself. Interesting to test some of our thoughts against some of the pro obs. Tell you what, anyone trying to sell me on Freirmuth at TE in round 2 can keep move right the fuck on.

I have no issue with another team picking him in round 2. We already have a big enough 'Sample' size of these types of picks in round 2 instead of 4 or 5. 

38 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama (6-4½, 312): Started 41 of 48 games, including 2018 at right guard and ’19 and ’20 at left tackle. “He’ll play,” one scout said. “He’s solid. You love his length. But he’s not really gifted athletically, and he doesn’t play that strong. He doesn’t have a lot of grit to him. He just kind of does everything OK, OK, OK, just nothing elite. Someone may fall in love just because it’s an Alabama offensive lineman. Every year they don’t do anything, but every year we keep taking ’em. He just kind of falls in line with a lot of those ’Bama guys of the past.”

Graduated in 2½ years. All-Academic honoree in the Southeastern Conference. “During games he seems to lose concentration and has all these penalties,” said another scout. “He does something really good and then something stupid. More talented than (Cincinnati’s) Jonah Williams. Really a nice athlete.”

Not exactly a glowing recommendation.  "More talented than Jonah Williams"  Does that mean he does not get hurt as often?:skull:

James Hudson, Cincinnati (6-foot-4½, 302 pounds): Redshirted as a defensive lineman at Michigan in 2017 before moving to tackle in ’18 and playing in three games. Transferred in ’19, but Michigan contested his release. Didn’t make his debut with the Bearcats until the Birmingham Bowl in late 2019. Started at left tackle in ’20. “He’s raw, but he’s probably the best natural athlete (among the offensive linemen in the draft),” one scout said. “He’s quick. He’s aggressive. He plays like a (defensive) lineman. He tries to strike guys, which is to his detriment at this point. He’s got to learn some patience and technique. He’s got a lot to work with.”

Was removed from consideration by one team because of off-field factors. “He’s got some issues with consistency and maturity,” said another scout. “He may not be a first- or second-round pick on every board, but I would bet money that he is on 10 of them. If one team brings him in and lets him talk to their doctors and they say he’s fine, they’ll take him in the second. You only have to get picked by one.”

I would say he is a lower round pick by the Bengals simply because Mike Brown only has to pay bus fare from Clifton rather then buy an airline ticket to get him him here.... seriously, would not be surprised to see him here if he falls later in the draft. 

Some grains of salt are necessary when you read the annual McGinn article, by the way... even the annonymous scouts may have agendas on players and are trying to float narratives to perhaps cause a slight slip to help their team come draft day. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/10/bengals-coaches-nfl-draft-pro-days-rashawn-slater/

At least we know Pollack is better at scouting than f*cking Turner

I have this feeling that he's going to end up being the pick. Not because it is the long term right pick to make, but because he's more pro-ready from what I have read than Sewell, at least from what I read, it reminds me of the 2012 draft where we took Dre Kirkpatrick with our 1st 1st rounder and ended up missing out on DeCastro and had to take Zeitler instead, Zeitler was better in his 1st year but DeCastro ended up being better overall down the line.

I do believe that the Bengals signed more qualified free agents than they lost, so didn’t qualify for any compensatory picks in this year’s draft.  I hope that is true next year as well. 

FYI, I saw this regarding some “special” compensatory picks;

“There were five special compensatory selections awarded at the end of the third round — one for the 49ers, one for the Rams, one for the Ravens, and one for the Saints. Those each stem from another team hiring a minority from their organization to be either a head coach or General Manager. The NFL initially announced an incorrect number for San Francisco’s special selections with two this year instead of one. With Robert Saleh becoming the Jets head coach and Martin Mayhew becoming Washington’s G.M., San Francisco will receive a special compensatory selection for each of the next three years.”

How the heck do the 49ers qualify to get a “special” pick in each of the next three years?  :shrug: 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And 11 comp picks at the end of round 3 which diminishes the value of our 4th rounder

Not really. There's not much difference in most of those players at that point. It just comes down to a teams personal preference. 

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I have this feeling that he's going to end up being the pick. Not because it is the long term right pick to make, but because he's more pro-ready from what I have read than Sewell, at least from what I read, it reminds me of the 2012 draft where we took Dre Kirkpatrick with our 1st 1st rounder and ended up missing out on DeCastro and had to take Zeitler instead, Zeitler was better in his 1st year but DeCastro ended up being better overall down the line.

Not exactly. DeCastro was there for the Bengals, but they traded back with New England. They could have picked him with their 2nd pick.

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And 11 comp picks at the end of round 3 which diminishes the value of our 4th rounder

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Yep

Yep and Yep.

I would make some sort of package deal and move up into the 3rd round or even 2nd.

Adkins and our 4th to move up into 3?

Bernard?  Both?

Yeah, not going to happen, don't know who would take it but with the

comp picks everything below the 3rd round is speculation and special teams.

10 hours ago, Sox said:

Not exactly. DeCastro was there for the Bengals, but they traded back with New England. They could have picked him with their 2nd pick.

THAT'S right I knew there was a reason I was thinking we could have had him but when I looked at the draft that year it didn't pop out to me.

Hopefully we dont make the same mistake this year.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

Comp picks were just announced. Unsurprisingly the Be gals did not get one. 

**** Protecting the shield:  make-up call or picking up the penalty flag for no foul... we should have gotten their third round pick because it was us they were spying on.   Bullshit Dey.

New England added additional third- and fourth-round picks in the upcoming draft — Nos. 96 and 140 overall. They also let Jamie Collins and Kyle Van Noy go in free agency last year, in addition to letting Brady walk.

Bill Belichick's team previously lost its third-round pick this year for the Patriots' illegal recording of the Cincinnati Bengals' sideline in 2019. But the Patriots now have a total of nine picks overall in this draft.

Patrick Surtain? Pete Werner? Azeez Ojulari? Scouts’ takes on 30 top defensive players in 2021 NFL Draft

Bob McGinn 3h agocomment-icon.png 14 save-icon.png

Following interviews with seven executives in personnel, here is Part 2 (defensive players) of a look at the 60 players they view as most likely to lead off the NFL Draft next month. Players are listed by position in current order of value. Forty-three of the 60 declared for the draft early as underclassmen.

All interviews were conducted before the start of pro days March 5; the NFL combine in February was canceled because of the coronavirus. Thus, these evaluations can and will change substantially over the next seven weeks as teams obtain 40-yard dash times, testing results, medical information and additional player interviews. Heights are rounded to the nearest half-inch when official measurements were available.

The top prospects on offense was posted Wednesday.

Defensive line (5)

Levi Onwuzurike, Washington (6-foot-3½, 290 pounds): It’s a poor draft for defensive linemen, with no sure-fire candidate for the first round. “Not a very good group,” said one scout. “He’s the guy I’m most excited about. In 2019, he was a maniac. He was all over the place. He’s a movement-oriented guy who plays with his hair on fire.”

Opted out of 2020 after spending four seasons in Seattle. Started in 2019 only and finished career with just seven sacks. “Undersized guy that tries to rely on being an athlete and plays in gaps,” said another scout. “But he’s not that talented to be that kind of guy. He just gets destroyed all the time.” Has nursed a tender Achilles tendon since high school. “But he’s been able to manage through that,” said a third scout. “He’s a 3-technique. He is an attacking-style player. He gets off the ball. He is a leader. He works hard. Got good closing speed. He can pressure the quarterback from all different types of angles. He’s got length. He’s quick. He has a chance for the first (round).”

Christian Barmore, Alabama (6-foot-5, 310 pounds): The Crimson Tide have had seven defensive linemen drafted among the top 56 picks in the last five years. The three first-round choices (Quinnen Williams, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen) all were better prospects than Barmore, according to several scouts. “Alabama, big, hype,” one scout said. “Someone will take him (in the first round). Just a big, slow-footed guy. Stiff lower body. Nonproductive. Plays in-line and tries to fight you. No pass rush at all. No range. Upright. Just a grunt type guy.”

Third-year sophomore had eight sacks in 2020. “Not a perfect plug-and-play guy,” said a second scout. “He’s talented, but super raw. We really like his upside. He’s got inside pass rush. That’s what he’s really good at. He would be a really good sub rusher. You have to start him out slow because he doesn’t have a ton of experience and there’s a level of rawness to him.” Immaturity is an issue for several teams. Said a third scout: “He’s talented, but I think he’s going to fall. He’s a part-time starter for them because he’s so inconsistent.”

Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA (6-foot-2½, 280 pounds): Had a big week in Mobile, Ala. “They literally couldn’t block the guy at the Senior Bowl,” one scout said. “He doesn’t have a great history of production, but did he look good there. He was more of a power guy than a movement guy, but he could be a 1-technique for some people. He’s not a 330-pound slug, yet he wins with power.”

Three-time state wrestling champion in Oregon. In four seasons for the Bruins, he had 11½ sacks. “He has incredible strength and unbelievable hands as a rusher,” said a second scout. “Runs to the football. He can get skinny. He’s a 3-technique. Just a pain in the ass to block.” Owa, his older brother, was the Giants’ third-round draft choice in 2015 but played in just 18 games without a sack in a brief career.

Alim McNeill, North Carolina State (6-foot-2, 320 pounds): Squatty nose tackle. “He’s a 6-footer, 6-1,” said one scout. “Sawed off. He can hold point. He’s strong. He’ll start in the league, but I never thought first round when I watched him.” Started for 1½ of his three seasons for the Wolfpack, accumulating 10 sacks. “He’s short, but he’s thick and he’s athletic,” said another scout. “Pure nose tackle. Like Javon Hargrave. That’s who he is. Second round.”

Scored 40 TDs as a goal-line running back at Sanderson High School in Raleigh, N.C. Excellent baseball player. “He’s kind of interesting,” a third scout said. “Former running back, and he is athletic. He’s got good feet. Good bender. He shows you he can play hard, but he kind of runs out of gas. Weight and conditioning are issues. Hasn’t always been a fully committed guy. Little bit entitled, but he’s got talent.”

Jaylen Twyman, Pittsburgh (6-foot-2, 300 pounds): Posted 10½ sacks in 2019, becoming the Panthers’ first interior defensive lineman to lead the team in sacks since Aaron Donald had 11 in 2013. Both wore No. 97. “Very productive,” said one scout. “He’s got power, hands, body control. He’s got all the things you want to see from those top DTs. His style is more like Grady Jarrett than anything else. Probably a 3-technique.”

Explained his decision to opt out of 2020 as “meeting my family’s needs, now and in the future,” rather than the coronavirus. Redshirted in 2017, played sparingly in ’18. “He’s an inside rusher — that’s what he does best,” said a second scout. “He’s not a powerful guy. He’s a total movement guy. You just have to make sure he fits because he is not a big man. He doesn’t ever get flat-out blown out, but he’s just not a big guy. I could see somebody reaching on him in the second or third (round). It might be a little bit irresponsible.”

Edge (8)

Joe Tryon, Washington (6-foot-5, 262 pounds): Played left end in the Huskies’ 4-3 defense but has the athleticism to stand up and play outside linebacker in a 3-4. “He’s long, relentless,” one scout said. “He can bend. He can drop into coverage. He doesn’t have any speed-to-power move. He’ll get stalled. But his effort is undeniable. We’ll find out this spring if he can stand up. He’s a very determined football player.”

Redshirted in 2017, started two of 12 games in ’18, started 12 of 13 games in ’19 and opted out of ’20. “He can run and turn a corner,” a second scout said. “He can be a 3-4 outside guy or a right defensive end. Super athletic. He shows he can play hard, but he’s real inconsistent. He’s also inconsistent in terms of violence. He can be a finesse guy sometimes. I don’t want to say he’s not tough, but you just want him a little nastier once in a while.” Had eight sacks in 2019. “Pretty physical. Got some strike and leverage,” a third scout said. “In the pass rush, not super explosive, but he’s got the moves. He knows how to bend and leverage. He’s got power. Good player.”

Kwity Paye, Michigan (6-foot-3½, 272 pounds): Lightly recruited player from Rhode Island. Compared by one scout to Chiefs’ Frank Clark, another former Michigan right defensive end. “He’s got a lot of Clark’s physical traits,” said one scout. “He’s short (for an edge rusher). That’s his biggest deficiency, but his arm length is solid. He’s got top-15 explosiveness and ability. He can turn the corner and play with power. Those are the two most important things for a pass rusher. I think his best attribute is he can really accelerate through contact.”

Was born in a refugee camp in Guinea and came to the U.S. with his Liberian parents at 6 months. “He’ll become a guy in two years,” said another scout. “He’s got a high ceiling. He’s a leader, a front-of-the-line guy that does everything you want him to do. One big body of muscle.” Posted 11½ sacks in four seasons. “’Dude, finish,’” a third scout said he was inclined to tell Paye. “’Mr. Almost’ is what I said about this guy. He’s always almost, and when guys are like that, they really don’t know what they’re doing. You see some violence, you see the jolt and snatch, you see some burst off the edge. I like him, but he should be better than what he is.”

Jaelan Phillips, Miami (6-foot-5, 245 pounds): Highly touted California prep prospect went to UCLA but played just 10 games in first two seasons. He briefly retired from football in mid-December 2018 after suffering two concussions, two high ankle sprains and a wrist injury that involved the surgical removal of three bones. “That will all come into play with him,” one scout said. “As far as a player, he’s legit. Just a playmaker. He’s big, long. The shake, the bend, the spin. Plays hard. At the point of attack, he can use his length really well. He’s a player. He’s top 10-12 if you watch the tape right.”

Transferred to Miami, where he had eight sacks in 10 games in 2020. “Had a really great season,” a second scout said. “Explosive pass rusher with good inside moves and a spin move. Only thing I didn’t like was he needs to be more physical against the run. Amazing thing about him was every game he seemed to improve and get more confident. He is extremely talented.” Had 4½ sacks in two seasons for the Bruins. A fourth scout called him a “major party guy.”

Gregory Rousseau, Miami (6-foot-7, 268 pounds): Started seven of 15 games from 2018 and ’19 before opting out in 2020. “You’d like to have a little bit more to go on,” said one scout. “Normally, you would knock him for it, but you have to adjust to the times. On all these guys, you have to make a determination.” Doubled as a wide receiver in high school, catching nine TD passes in 2016. “Originally recruited as a wide receiver,” said a second scout. “He is athletically very twitchy, but he doesn’t have power. He’s got length and the frame to create (power). Good personality. Somebody will take a shot on him in the first (round), but he doesn’t deserve it. There’s not enough there for me.”

Suffered a broken ankle in Game 2 of his freshman season. “He’d be on the all-overrated team,” a third scout said. “Got a lot of athletic ability, but a complete finesse player. There’s no nasty to him whatsoever. … I saw high bust potential.” Registered 15½ sacks in 2019, second in the FBS behind Chase Young (16½). “Not explosive, but a really good technician,” a fourth scout said. “He knows how to use his hands and how to get off blocks. He really has a feel.” Has gained 30-35 pounds since he last played. “He’s a gangly athlete who struggles to change direction,” said a fifth scout. “Doesn’t have much body control. He is very weak in everything he does. He may flash now and then, but he just doesn’t show much to really say what there is about this guy that everybody’s excited about.”

Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma (6-foot-2, 250 pounds): Started for 2½ seasons at defensive end. “I like this little Oklahoma guy,” one scout said. “He’s something else now. I don’t know how big he’s going to be, but he is explosive and has jolt. Athletically, he’s got really excellent movement coming forward. For a little guy, he’s powerful in gaps against the run. You don’t see guys play like this anymore. He’s violent. They dropped him (into coverage) every so often, but that’s not his deal.” Finished with 16½ sacks. “He’s the best overall pass rusher I saw this year,” another scout said. “Chase Young was more explosive, but this guy is a much better technician. Uses his hands better, plays the run better. It’ll get down to his size.”

Failed a drug test before the Peach Bowl in December 2019 and was suspended the first month of last season. “There just aren’t many (successful) pass rushers who are as tight in the lower body and have trouble turning the corner,” said a third scout. “Those are his biggest limitations. I think going against a bigger, more athletic tackle in the NFL, he’s really going to struggle. He has stiffness in the hips and knees. When he turns the corner, he just doesn’t bend well like the guys that consistently affect the quarterback.”

Jayson Oweh, Penn State (6-foot-5, 253 pounds): Played off the bench as a true freshman and sophomore, notching seven sacks. Started all seven games in 2020 but had no sacks and just one hurry. “The talent and the production do not match,” one scout said. “Something’s missing. If there’s an overdraft candidate in this group, it’s probably him. Rushers go, and this guy’s really talented. You’re looking at Montez Sweat(-like) workout numbers.”

The Nittany Lions’ pro day is scheduled for March 25. “He’s the biggest anomaly,” said another scout. “If he’s 6-foot-2, 250 pounds, and runs a 4.38 (40-yard dash), he’s going first round. That’s how it goes. It may be pick 32, but he’ll go in the first.” A third scout labeled him as the dreaded “just a guy.” Added a fourth: “I’m totally baffled by him. He’s an absolute non-factor when you watch him. There’s just nothing there. He doesn’t show any quickness. He doesn’t show burst. Zero sacks. But I guess he’s supposed to work out like a phenom. I guess that’s the thing people are holding on to.”

Joseph Ossai, Texas (6-foot-4, 253 pounds): One of the more versatile defensive players in the draft. “He’s probably an outside ‘backer,” one scout said. “He has played inside ‘backer. He played rush ‘backer this year. He can accelerate to the quarterback. He’s determined to get there. He’s got a good motor. But he’s stiff, doesn’t have a plan when he’s rushing and loses his feet too much when he rushes.”

Started 24 of 36 games, finishing with 11½ sacks and 30 tackles for loss. “Good athlete in a straight line, but I don’t think it translates to the field,” said a second scout. “He’s leggy in his movement. His speed isn’t early quickness. I think he’ll struggle facing real tackles every week. He’s going in the third (round).”

Azeez Ojulari, Georgia (6-foot-2, 240 pounds): Led the Southeastern Conference in sacks (8½), tackles for loss (8½) and forced fumbles (four) in 2020. “I think he’ll go high,” said one scout. “He’s an analytics dream. He’s got production in the SEC. He’s going to test really well. He’s got physical traits. Those guys usually end up going high. I didn’t see it.”

Played two games as a true freshman in 2018 before redshirting. “We’re not 100 percent sure what to do with him,” said another scout. “Probably better off in a 3-4 (defense). More of a standup Sam ‘backer (in a 4-3) and coming in as a rush guy on occasion. He’s not super talented. He plays hard. Smart, knows what to do. Good technician.” Started two years at end. “They played him at end and off the ball, and he gets beat up wherever he is,” a third scout said. “You love the way he plays, but he’s a little guy. His pass rush is just effort. That’s really what he’s got. He doesn’t have length, power or moves. He’s not a space athlete by any means. I don’t have a role for him.”

Linebackers (6)

Zaven Collins, Tulsa (6-foot-4, 260 pounds): Generally played inside as a 30-game starter. “It’s like you’re watching a (youth) football game and there’s a kid that shouldn’t be on the field because he’s too big,” one scout said. “He’s a giant. When you get a guy that big, people think he should be ripping everybody in half. He doesn’t do that, but who cares? He gets guys down. You look at the body, you’d think he was an old-school, 1980s, Mike linebacker. Just a big, between-the-tackles plugger. But this guy can run. He’s not a blowback tackler. (Brian) Urlacher probably is a good comparison.”

Extremely productive with 236 tackles, 7½ sacks, five interceptions, three forced fumbles and three recovered fumbles. “He reminds me a lot of (San Francisco’s) Fred Warner,” a second scout said. “Fred wasn’t an explosive, knockback tackler (at Brigham Young), and this guy isn’t, either. But (Collins) can run and has suddenness for a big guy. He’s got a really high ceiling.” Played quarterback as a prep in Hominy, Okla. (population: 3,565). “Small-town kid with a really serious chip on his shoulder to be great,” said a third scout. “He’s 260 and runs 4.5. He makes plays in the run game, in the pass game. I’d put him at Mike, but he could be an outside ‘backer, too, because he’s really good at blitzing. Top 25 probably.”

Pete Werner, Ohio State (6-foot-2½, 240 pounds): Three-year starter in a linebacking corps with three other prospects in the draft. “I wasn’t that high on him coming into the fall,” said one scout. “The more I watched him, I said this is exactly what you want. Smart, active, quick. He can tackle and he can cover. There’s nothing he can’t do. I’ve got him in the second half of the first round.” Never intercepted a pass but broke up 13. “He’s got speed to carry routes, he can match up with tight ends and he’s a good blitzer,” a second scout said. “He’s got really good run fits. Really good kid. Everybody there loves him. One of those guys who will knock the shit out of you.”

Ex-Buckeye MLB James Laurinaitis, a second-round pick in 2009, played almost every snap for St. Louis for seven seasons. “I think Werner is better,” a third scout said. “Laurinaitis was almost like another coach on the field, but was a below-the-line athlete. This kid is a good athlete. He’ll run 4.6. He’s very similar to (Logan) Wilson from last year. This guy’s a little better even.” Said a fourth scout: “He’s limited. Try-hard guy.”

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame (6-foot-1, 215 pounds): “He can pick up people and run all over the field with them, go deep with them, break up passes,” one scout said. “He plays much bigger than his size. You talk about explosive. When he hits people at 215 pounds, they rock. Size and the position he’ll play are the only questions.” Played safety in high school and as a space linebacker for the Fighting Irish. “I got a vibe the Notre Dame people were nervous about making this guy a safety because of his ability to communicate and he freelanced so much,” another scout said. “I saw him as an elite cover ‘backer. Put him at Will and let him run around and hit people and play in coverage. To put this guy inside facing blocks all the time, I don’t know why you’d do that.”

Didn’t compile any statistics in two games as a sophomore but had major production in 2019 and ’20. “I don’t think he has the frame to get any bigger,” a third scout said. “He’s going to get crushed (against) guys in the box. He’s more instinctive and runs to the ball better than Isaiah Simmons. He’s an outside space player who probably will wind up being a nickel or dime linebacker.” A fourth scout, however, compared him to (Atlanta’s) Deion Jones. “All right, if you want a tackle 15 yards down the field, he’s your guy,” a fifth scout said. “He can run around, but do you want this guy out in space in coverage? No. You love the way he plays, but he’s little. He might even be 200 pounds.”

Micah Parsons, Penn State (6-foot-3, 245 pounds): Played extensively off the bench as a true freshman in 2018, started in ’19 and opted out of ’20. “The player he reminds me of is Myles Jack,” said one scout. “They’re rare athletes, but not great linebackers. He’s not (Tampa’s) Devin White. He can be closer to what Fred Warner is. Similar to (Indianapolis’) Darius Leonard. (Buffalo’s) Tremaine Edmunds would have a little higher grade. The consistent point-of-attack play isn’t there. He doesn’t penetrate and make tackles in the backfield, which is kind of what separates linebackers.”

Had 109 tackles, five sacks, five pass breakups and four forced fumbles in 2019. “Lot of hype. I see bust potential,” another scout said. “Zaven Collins (of Tulsa) was a much better player.” Some teams view him fitting better as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or as a Sam in a 4-3 rather than inside in either defense. “What you have is a space chase ‘backer,” said a third scout. “If everything is straight-line for him and he sees (the play), he’s explosive in-line. His sacks, (Penn State does) games up front and blitz him right through the middle. They scheme him to do that stuff. When he’s in space and if he’s chasing somebody, you can see his speed. Besides that, he is not an exceptional athlete. His effort is OK. He is a complete nonfactor when a blocker is on him. He reminds me of Isaiah Simmons last year. Simmons just had an average year (for the Cardinals).”

Nick Bolton, Missouri (6-foot-0, 232 pounds): “Poor man’s Devin Bush (of the Stealers),” said one scout. “He’s athletic. Can play in coverage. He played Mike (at Missouri), but he might be better served playing on the outside because of his size. Really, really good kid. Really good second-round pick.”

Third-year junior played three seasons, starting two. “He reminds me of Demario Davis,” a second scout said. “Physical like that. He’s got nice, instinctive feel. Makes a shitload of plays. I’d like to see him develop a better feel in the passing game. All in all, he’s a pretty good player. Second round.” A third scout evaluated Bolton as a lesser athlete than Purdue MLB Derrick Barnes. “He’s physical and tough, but he’s stiff in space and has short arms,” he said. “Just a little tight in his movement. I wasn’t enamored by the athlete. Fourth round.”

Jamin Davis, Kentucky (6-foot-4, 232 pounds): Fourth-year junior, one-year starter. “He’s by far my No. 1 pure linebacker,” said one scout. “Plays hard. Can run. Not the greatest take-on guy, but who is nowadays? He’s tough. He can slip and dip. In coverage stuff, they never take him off the field. Just really instinctive in coverage. Against Florida, they were spread out and he was just running all over the place making plays.”

Made 102 tackles and intercepted three passes in 2020. “He wouldn’t have even started this year except another guy (Chris Oats) had a stroke this summer,” another scout said. “He’s big and long, and he can run. He makes plays, but there are times he just freezes. As far as a physical talent, he’s a second-day guy. But there’s something missing.” A third scout said he was the most talented linebacker other than Parsons. “I’m really excited about him,” he said. “Looks like (Houston’s) Zach Cunningham, but he’s more physically gifted and a more physical player. He’s got a really high ceiling. He can really run. A unique athlete.”

Cornerbacks (9)

Patrick Surtain II, Alabama (6-foot-2, 202 pounds): Third-year junior, three-year starter. “I think he’s better than (Baltimore’s) Marlon Humphrey coming out,” one scout said. “He’s technically sound. He’s ready right now. Loves the games. Competes. Same guy every day. They all rave about this guy (at Alabama).” His father, Patrick, had 37 interceptions in an 11-year NFL career and made the Pro Bowl twice. “His dad ran 4.52 for me,” a second scout said. “I estimated the son would run 4.50. I watched nine games this year and a bunch of games last year. I question his top-end speed. They play so much zone, and he’s got help most of the time. Good football player. He’s got a little bit of hip tightness to him. That’s the thing that bothers me about him. He has to gather when he changes direction. Once he comes out of it, he can close.”

Picked off four passes to go with 24 passes defensed for the Crimson Tide. “He’s the best guy,” said a third scout. “Wow athlete for his size, got pedigree, effortless in coverage. He’s not an ass-kicker as a tackler, but he’s big and can run and cover people. He’s a sure thing.”

Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech (6-foot-2, 207 pounds): High-school quarterback who began his collegiate career as a cornerback, spent the spring of 2017 as a wide receiver before moving back to corner that fall. “He’s not a finished product yet,” one scout said. “Huge ceiling. He’ll eventually be a No. 1. He’s got the size to cover big targets and the speed to cover fast guys. Big personality. Is he mentally tough enough? He did have a back injury in 2019 that (teams) must figure out. He’s new to the position, but he has instincts and feel.”

Suffered a torn ACL in August 2017 and redshirted. Started in 2018 and ’19 before opting out of ’20. “I have him bottom of the second round,” said a second scout. “He’s my No. 6 corner. He has length and speed. He’s very linear and not very strong. He will struggle against some physical wide receivers in the NFL. You’ve got to be able to change direction, be strong and be competitive. Those are his three biggest weaknesses. When they run a slant or comeback, or get in his face, I don’t know what he’s going to do. If you’re picking in the top 15, you want a guy who can compete with some of that stuff.” Finished with six picks and 19 passes defensed. “He’s not a top pick,” a third scout said. “He’s big and fast, but he’s a press guy only. When he’s off, he’s rigid and stiff. Run support is average for a guy that big. He’s a Seattle-type guy. I’m just not crazy about his overall talent.”

Jaycee Horn, South Carolina (6-foot-1, 205 pounds): His father, Joe, was a quirky four-time Pro Bowl receiver for the Chiefs, Saints and Falcons from 1996-07. “We’re not holding Joe against him,” one scout said, laughing. “(Jaycee) is the least talented of the top five, but maybe the best football player. He’s not a 4.3 guy. He’s probably high 4.4s. But he’s tough, competitive and super instinctive. Takes the ball away. Physical in coverage. He’s a little bit grabby, and probably will go through some growing pains because he’s so physical in coverage.”

Third-year junior, three-year starter. “He’s a dog,” a second scout said admiringly after ranking Horn No. 1. “Plays the game the right way. He’s a big, physical guy on the outside, which is hard to find these days.” Another scout said Horn was “top 15, definitely.” Said a fourth scout: “I’m not sold on him yet. He kind of scares me. He’s got wonderful size. He can be inside, outside. You can match him up. He’s a physical player. He’s a good athlete, not a great athlete.” Had two career interceptions. “The whole thing with him will get down to speed,” a fifth scout said. “If he can run, he becomes a first-rounder.”

Greg Newsome II, Northwestern (6-foot-0, 192 pounds): First pure three-and-done player in coach Pat Fitzgerald’s 15-year tenure. “He’s an instant starter,” said one scout. “He’s got confidence. Excellent athlete. He has feet, hips, twitch. When he presses, it’s an easy flip and run. The instincts are there. He’s got excellent ball skills. He tackles good enough.”

Played just three games in 2020 due to injury and his decision to declare for the draft before the Citrus Bowl. “Only negative would be durability,” a second scout said. “He has missed 13 games in three years. Very disciplined. He went four games this season and nobody caught a ball on him. He’s better than (Indianapolis’) Rock Ya-Sin coming out. Very confident and self-assured. Money’s not going to change this dude. Very low maintenance. He is obsessed with the game of football. He’s a smooth and easy mover. Never out of position.”

Played three seasons, intercepted one pass. “He’s a perfect nickel,” said a third scout. “Strength is probably his biggest deficiency. The guy gives effort. He probably has to get a little bigger and stronger. Still, he’s athletic enough to tackle guys. He wins the 50-50s more with quickness, savvy and instincts than he does physicality and presence. He’s really good in a lot of things, but no flat-out wow. These guys usually end up in the second round.”

Eric Stokes, Georgia (6-foot-1, 185 pounds): Coach Kirby Smart took a chance on Stokes, who had as much if not more success in high school as a sprinter in track than he did in football. After redshirting in 2017, Stokes moved into the lineup in late 2018 and started from there on. “I’d take him over Farley,” said one scout. “He’s big, too, and he’s smooth. He’s got excellent feel and body control. Just a natural at what he does. Press stuff is easy for him. When he’s off, he’s not instant change of direction. His length kind of saves him. Excellent ball skills.”

All four of his interceptions came in 2020, two of which he returned for touchdowns. “He’s probably the fastest guy of the group,” said another scout. “He’s a better athlete than Horn.” Played well on special teams early in his career. “Late one, early two,” a third scout said. “He’s got great recovery skills. He’s got a knack for the interception. He just stands out. He’s a physical tackler. There’s high upside with this guy.” A fourth scout described him as “highly overrated.” A fifth scout said he wouldn’t draft him in the first two rounds.

Tyson Campbell, Georgia (6-foot-2, 185 pounds): Played at American Heritage (Fla.) under coach Patrick Surtain on a team that included Patrick Surtain II and Auburn receiver Anthony Schwartz. “(Schwartz) ran a 10.19 (in the 100 meters), and this kid ran 10.39,” said one scout. “I’d feel comfortable taking him at the end of the first round.”

Third-year junior made 24 starts over three seasons. “He’s a better athlete than Horn,” said a second scout. “Big, athletic, can cover anybody. He has elite movement, maybe the best of the group. Stokes is skinnier than Campbell, but probably is a click faster.” Minimal ball production: one pick, 10 passes defensed. “Athletically, he is a freak,” said a third scout. “If anything, you’ve got to get into his head and find out who he is. I think he’ll be an outside corner. He’ll tackle good enough. He’s going to run like the wind.”

Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse (6-foot-2½, 212 pounds): Fourth-year junior backed up in 2018 then started 19 combined games in 2019 and ’20. “He’s excellent,” said one scout. “Against Clemson, Trevor Lawrence would not throw to his side. Good tackler, good cover guy. I see nothing wrong with this guy until he runs. He looks special to me.” His brother, Obi, was drafted by the Raiders as a safety from Connecticut in 2017. In January, he signed as a free agent with the 49ers after playing merely seven games in four years. “I actually like him (Ifeatu),” said a second scout. “If he had a different last name, he’d be a first-round pick. But people are so afraid because of his brother. Corners that big with ability don’t last that long. He’s raw, but he’s big, fast, physical. Some of the change-of-direction stuff isn’t great because he’s so big. There’s only so well he’ll move in transition unless you’re Jalen Ramsey, who was a top-5 pick.”

Obi had eight interceptions in four seasons at UConn. Ifeatu had three in three seasons. “You kind of wonder if he’s exactly like his brother, and his brother had no instincts,” said a third scout. “His brother played safety and this guy played outside, and outsides don’t necessarily have to have those kinds of instincts. He’s big, gifted, but he’s a little bit of an underachiever. You want him to be better for his size and skill set. Still, if you’re talking about a guy like this in the third round, for sure.”

Asante Samuel Jr., Florida State (5-foot-10, 184 pounds): Almost every scout referenced his father. A fourth-round draft pick by the Patriots in 2003 from UCF, the elder Samuel intercepted 51 passes in 12 seasons for three teams and made four Pro Bowls. He was 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds, and ran 4.52. “Kind of like his dad, honestly,” said one scout. “I think he goes second round on his good ball production and the name. He’s just small. There aren’t many corners (that small) who are good. It’s hard to last.”

Third-year junior with 23 starts in 32 games. “Plays like his dad,” said a second scout. “Knows how to play. Quick as can be. Attacks the ball. But his size does show up. He can get pushed around, and in run support, he’s more of a drag-you-down type. More second round.” Finished with four interceptions and 29 passes defensed. “Not very big and he can’t run,” said a third scout. Added a fourth scout: “Probably best served in the slot. His feet were really quick. He’s got loose hips. Not very physical. Didn’t like to tackle.”

Rodarius Williams, Oklahoma State (5-foot-11½, 193 pounds): One of the most seasoned top players in the draft. After a redshirt season in 2016, he started every game for four years. “Not a really big guy in terms of mass and doesn’t always play big,” said one scout. “But he’s fast, has cover skills and is pretty instinctive in coverage. Good, solid player with upside. Character is a little bit of an issue, but not enough to scare you away.”

His brother, Greedy, was a second-round draft choice by the Browns in 2019. He started on the outside as a rookie before missing all of last season with a shoulder injury. “Better tackler than his brother,” a second scout said. “You’ve got to find out what this guy is all about, but he’s got talent. He can press and do zone. He can track the vertical ball.” Had 27 passes defensed and two interceptions. Will be 25 in mid-September. “Since the beginning of the year, a lot of people have him as the most improved player in the Southwest,” a third scout said. “Good athlete. I probably wouldn’t take him until the fifth (round). I’ve heard some people say late first, top of the second. I thought he gave up a lot of separation at the top of routes.”

Safeties (2)

Trevon Moehrig, Texas Christian (6-foot-2, 202 pounds): Three-year player, two-year starter. “Not a great group of safeties,” one scout said. “He’s the best guy. He’s the most versatile of all the safeties. Good run defender. Good tackler. He’s fast. Really good cover skills. Second-round guy. Good, solid player. Don’t know if he ever goes to a Pro Bowl.” Voted special-teams MVP by his teammates as a true freshman in 2018. “At first I didn’t like him, but as I watched him more, he kind of grew on me,” a second scout said. “He’s got burst and close. Gets his hands on a lot of balls in man coverage. He is a little late when he has to transition. He’s a really good communicator. He can play dime linebacker for you. He likes to be physical. He’s deceptively better than you think in the passing game, but I don’t think he’s a first-round pick.”

Intercepted seven passes and broke up 21 in his college career. “I thought the guy was just excellent,” a third scout said. “That (Big 12) Conference probably is the best passing conference in football, and he was really good. I don’t have one weakness on the guy. It will get down to what he runs. I estimated at least a 4.5.” A fourth scout remained unimpressed. “I don’t see anything to him,” he said. “You can see he knows how to play. He’s not really fast, he’s not really athletic, he’s not a knock-you-out tackler or anything. He’s just OK.”

Elijah Molden, Washington (5-foot-10½, 192 pounds): Often compared to Pro Bowl safety Budda Baker (5-foot-9½, 193 pounds, 4.50 40), the Cardinals’ second-round pick in 2017 from Washington. “The Washington staff talks about the kid like he’s Baker,” said one scout. “He doesn’t have that kind of movement. Quicker than fast. He’s small, and he isn’t flat-out fast for being that small. He is a scrappy little guy. We see him as a nickel.”

Backed up for two seasons before starting for the final two. “His greatest strength is his instincts,” said another scout. “He’s got twitch and body control. He can play nickel or safety. He’s similar to Taylor Rapp (of the Rams). He’s a special kid. He’ll play on special teams. Second round.” Elijah’s father, Alex, was the Saints’ first-round draft choice in 1996. He played cornerback for three teams in an eight-year career. “He’s a little Honey Badger,” a third scout said in reference to Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu. “He’s like a safety-nickel. I have him top of the third round.”

Had five interceptions and 19 passes defensed. “He’s a good, good player,” said a fourth scout. “He is tough. He runs around and gets to the ball. He’d be a really good cover guy for a safety, not for a corner. If you’re looking for the Budda Baker-type guy and you ignore the size, this is your guy. Somebody might get desperate and go first (round).” Had a history of injuries in high school, including surgery to repair a skull fracture in 2015.

Archived