Bengals Free Agency Thread.

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

This is not accurate. 

We were on pace for the most yards ever last year with AJ Green being terrible. Anyone who isn't a negative is an upgrade. A stud OT effects this team for 10 years

Read this until it becomes a part of your zeigiets, then let's have a conversation about what we have on this team and what we should be addressing based on what the VALUE of the talent is and then what the position we need is based on this. 

Ranking each position's importance, from quarterback to returner

I'll start. 

Let's assume that we believe them and that Johna Williams is the Left Tackle for the next 10 years. 

Then based on this link we should be geting a RDE right? As we already have the QB, and LT. 

Problem. This draft class doesnt really have top end talent at RDE.

Ok that should mean that getting a LCB should be top priority, well we just signed Trae Waynes last year to a multi year deal.

Next WR 1, Tyler Boyd is not a WR1, I like him alot (even picked him as our 2nd rounder in the mock draft I did the year we drafted him)  but he is easily more of a TJ Housh mold, #2. 

Do we believe that Higgins could be the #1 WR?  No? Take Chase. Yes? Keep going

DT, we just signed two guys to play that spot both last year and this year. both to multi year deals.

LDE is next, but again there isnt talent at that spot with taking this high in the draft. 

Mike Linebacker? Same lack of talent at the top 5 

So you are left with Tight End if you think Higgens can be the #1 WR, because the TEs we have on the roster arent super talented, and because Pitt's is above and beyond them in talent, you take him. And I hate the idea of taking a TE this high, but that's how this works out.

It's as simple as these questions. 

1. Do we believe the Bengals when they say Williams is the LT?

---No? Get Sewell, and if he is gone, is the talent at that position worthty of a top 5 pick? 

--- Yes? Don't draft a LT.

2. Is Higgins capeable of being the #1 WR?

--- No? Take Chase or Smith.

---- Yes? Because of the other positions that are of higher imortance than TE we have a guy signed to a mulit year deal, or because the talent at the other positions of higher performace in this draft aren't worthy of a top 5 pick, you take Pitts

(of course I'm not opposed to trading down at all) 

If Williams is the guy at LT, and we have already signed a Reiff even for ust a year, do you know where RT is in postion of importance on this list? #13

You can get RT's in round two oreven in the laster part of round one which I expect us to be drafting laster next year, so we could potentiall even get a RT next year. 

(Oh and guard and center? much further down the list than #13)

13 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

This one is simple. We have ignored the OL for years, to our detriment. It has cost us at least 3 years of being competitive and to keep doing so is just insanity. We have a chance to get an elite guy who is there for the next decade. We should do it. 

No we have not ignored the OL for years, it's worse, we have tried to address it and picked some REALLY shitty picks. 

We have such a good unit of playmakers and AJ was so bad that the strategy we should take there is that if there were 10 good ones in the draft and we get the 10th that we are still good to go and it's an improvement. 

We have such a bad offensive line and it's so important that we shouldn't be willing to take the leftovers at the position. We should want and need the elites.

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

This is true. 

But after we failed we just kept trying real hard with the failures. 

Thank God Alexander and Turner are gone, because the guys we failed with were mostly Alexander picks, and Turner just plain sucked. Hopefully Pollack can turn the unit around.

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

We have such a good unit of playmakers and AJ was so bad that the strategy we should take there is that if there were 10 good ones in the draft and we get the 10th that we are still good to go and it's an improvement. 

We have such a bad offensive line and it's so important that we shouldn't be willing to take the leftovers at the position. We should want and need the elites.

You don't get left overs at he RT, G, and C, where you would be taking them later in the draft You get the best guys because that's where the draft values them.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

My concern about the D is we got better up front but other than Mike Hilton, who is ok against the pass but more used for his ability to blitz, that we got weaker in the backfield. It feels like we are putting all our chips in getting to the QB and stopping the running game. I like it but good QBs are going to get their passes out, and I worry that against the better QBs we will struggle because other than Bates (And maybe Tray Waynes? Who was hurt all last year so we dont know what he can do in this D) I'm not entierly comfortable with our DBs.

My main concern with the defense is the DC. A good one can make due with a few lesser players, this guy we have has only proven to be worthless. 

18 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

My main concern with the defense is the DC. A good one can make due with a few lesser players, this guy we have has only proven to be worthless. 

Well I was speaking on a player front, but yes I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Well I was speaking on a player front, but yes I agree with you. 

With the players on D currently on the roster I can al least see an average performing group. I am just not sold on the system and play calling. That to me is the biggest question mark and/or roadblock to improvement. We did have a lot of injuries last year but I had no idea what the defense was trying to do.

How good can a DC really look with no DL?

Almost every decent player they had up front last year was either hurt, opted out or just plain quit. They were literally pulling guys off the street and throwing them into the line-up. What DC is going to succeed without a DL to speak of? It 100% affects every level of the D. 
Honestly I don’t really care about Anurumo one way or the other but he had no shot last year, IMO. 

58 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

With the players on D currently on the roster I can al least see an average performing group. I am just not sold on the system and play calling. That to me is the biggest question mark and/or roadblock to improvement. We did have a lot of injuries last year but I had no idea what the defense was trying to do.

Yeah to me this is the prove it year for the coaching staff. Burrow should be healthy they should have addressed the Oline mostly, and the D has a bunch of highly paid Free agents. 

Unless the team loses multipule guys in multiplue positiions there is no reason that we shouldnt be fighting for the last wild card spot imho

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Read this until it becomes a part of your zeigiets, then let's have a conversation about what we have on this team and what we should be addressing based on what the VALUE of the talent is and then what the position we need is based on this. 

Ranking each position's importance, from quarterback to returner

I'll start. 

Let's assume that we believe them and that Johna Williams is the Left Tackle for the next 10 years. 

Then based on this link we should be geting a RDE right? As we already have the QB, and LT. 

Problem. This draft class doesnt really have top end talent at RDE.

Ok that should mean that getting a LCB should be top priority, well we just signed Trae Waynes last year to a multi year deal.

Next WR 1, Tyler Boyd is not a WR1, I like him alot (even picked him as our 2nd rounder in the mock draft I did the year we drafted him)  but he is easily more of a TJ Housh mold, #2. 

Do we believe that Higgins could be the #1 WR?  No? Take Chase. Yes? Keep going

DT, we just signed two guys to play that spot both last year and this year. both to multi year deals.

LDE is next, but again there isnt talent at that spot with taking this high in the draft. 

Mike Linebacker? Same lack of talent at the top 5 

So you are left with Tight End if you think Higgens can be the #1 WR, because the TEs we have on the roster arent super talented, and because Pitt's is above and beyond them in talent, you take him. And I hate the idea of taking a TE this high, but that's how this works out.

It's as simple as these questions. 

1. Do we believe the Bengals when they say Williams is the LT?

---No? Get Sewell, and if he is gone, is the talent at that position worthty of a top 5 pick? 

--- Yes? Don't draft a LT.

2. Is Higgins capeable of being the #1 WR?

--- No? Take Chase or Smith.

---- Yes? Because of the other positions that are of higher imortance than TE we have a guy signed to a mulit year deal, or because the talent at the other positions of higher performace in this draft aren't worthy of a top 5 pick, you take Pitts

(of course I'm not opposed to trading down at all) 

If Williams is the guy at LT, and we have already signed a Reiff even for ust a year, do you know where RT is in postion of importance on this list? #13

You can get RT's in round two oreven in the laster part of round one which I expect us to be drafting laster next year, so we could potentiall even get a RT next year. 

(Oh and guard and center? much further down the list than #13)

I don't remember Taylor saying anything about JW being the left tackle for the next ten years and think what he said was more in line with Jonah being the left tackle of the guys he currently has, and only that.

24 minutes ago, bengaled said:

I don't remember Taylor saying anything about JW being the left tackle for the next ten years and think what he said was more in line with Jonah being the left tackle of the guys he currently has, and only that.

Here is the article. He didn't specifiy that Williams would be there 10 years, he did specifiy that he would be there this coming season. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/11/22324552/bengals-news-zac-taylor-joe-burrow-injury-jonah-williams-sticking-at-lt

47 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Here is the article. He didn't specifiy that Williams would be there 10 years, he did specifiy that he would be there this coming season. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/11/22324552/bengals-news-zac-taylor-joe-burrow-injury-jonah-williams-sticking-at-lt

Exactly. If they do draft Sewell, I'd expect him to be the prime candidate at RG this year, then once he gained a year's experience he'd be the left tackle from there on. That only makes too much sense.

39 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Exactly. If they do draft Sewell, I'd expect him to be the prime candidate at RG this year, then once he gained a year's experience he'd be the left tackle from there on. That only makes too much sense.

What wouldn't make sense to me is why play Williams at LT 2 years in a row and them move him from that spot? Do it now if your are going to move him. 

Draft the best players you can and let them all fight for spots. These guys should all understand most spots are always open for competition. Jonah has proven very little other than he shows promise to be a good LT. Sewell could come in and in 1 year far surpass Williams - if so Williams moves, it should not be rocket science from that aspect. We have very few players who are locks in their positions for the foreseeable future - JB, Mixon, Boyd, Higgins - that is it on offense. 

23 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Draft the best players you can and let them all fight for spots. These guys should all understand most spots are always open for competition. Jonah has proven very little other than he shows promise to be a good LT. Sewell could come in and in 1 year far surpass Williams - if so Williams moves, it should not be rocket science from that aspect. We have very few players who are locks in their positions for the foreseeable future - JB, Mixon, Boyd, Higgins - that is it on offense. 

What no Michael Jordan on that list?

Seriously if they do draft Sewell i slot him at LT from day one..

Jonah moves to LG to give them a better look on the left side than they have now..much better..

The Right side with Reiff and Spain 

is allright but id like still like an upgrade 

over Spain if possible...

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'll settle for him being here for 10 games.

Still have serious doubts about the lad and hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Griever said:

Trade Gio?

Yes..

Either swap him for a player or take a very late 3rd or probably take a 4th..

Let Trayveon Willaims take over his role..hes ready...

10 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you are going to have to come to terms with the idea that this is a passing league, and let go of your running game biases. 

I think you are going to have to come to terms with the idea of Joe Burrow on IR & let go of your balanced offense biases.

Archived