21 minutes ago, Sox said:

OMG...really? The point is the offense sputtered because he is NOT A #1. Yes he got his yards while playing outside.. he's talented enough to do that, yet the offense died, and you want to point the finger at the supporting cast? So here you go...NO I don't think the next four receivers had anything to do with it, they are what they were...a supporting cast. 

The reality is Boyd is a talented SLOT receiver NOT a #1. The offense will never thrive without a true #1, and Boyd as much as I love him as a slot receiver simply is not, and will never be a #1. Expecting the supporting cast to magically become more talented and to fill the void is...silly.

Last year the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl. Mike Evens was their top receiver with 1006 yards. He ran a 4.53 forty  which is barely faster than Boyd. 

In 2019 the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.  Top receiver was Travis Kelce. They did have 5th round pick Tyreek Hill on their team. 

In 2018 the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Their #1 receiver was 2nd rounder Julian Edelman. He had 815 yards.  James White was #2. 7th rounder.  Josh Gordon was on the team but got suspended weeks before the playoffs. 

In 2017 the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Their #1 receiver was Zach Ertz.  He had 824 yards. Alshon Jeffrey was a second round pick. 

In 2016 Patriots and Edelman again. 

Your logic is faulty.  

46 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Last year the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl. Mike Evens was their top receiver with 1006 yards. He ran a 4.53 forty  which is barely faster than Boyd. 

In 2019 the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.  Top receiver was Travis Kelce. They did have 5th round pick Tyreek Hill on their team. 

In 2018 the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Their #1 receiver was 2nd rounder Julian Edelman. He had 815 yards.  James White was #2. 7th rounder.  Josh Gordon was on the team but got suspended weeks before the playoffs. 

In 2017 the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Their #1 receiver was Zach Ertz.  He had 824 yards. Alshon Jeffrey was a second round pick. 

Your logic is faulty.  

WR is the most overrated position in football

56 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

AND!!!We have 2 very good guys and a good guy. Upgrading that position should take minimal investment not maximum. 

This is essentially where I am on the subject.  I don't see why "balls-to-the-wall" is where we need to go at WR when we already have good players there and our OL is comparatively shite.

I am in the camp that Boyd should NOT be moved to the outside.  He has a great skill set in the slot and is one of the better guys in the league at that position.  Why mess it up?  Boyd would be OK on the outside, but he is great in the slot.  You put someone else in the slot and you have two OK guys?  No thanks.  Finding another OK guy on the outside shouldn't be that hard.  Then you have an OK guy and a great guy.  Much better than two OK guys.

5 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

This is essentially where I am on the subject.  I don't see why "balls-to-the-wall" is where we need to go at WR when we already have good players there and our OL is comparatively shite.

Because nobody buys jerseys for rookie OTs.  There's no fantasy football stat for blocking.

Ridiculous as that is I'm starting to think it really is that simple.

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

Your logic is faulty.  

It is? I noticed in your examples you stated Tyreek Hill (their playmaker) was a 5th round pick, but when it came to Mike Evans you used his 40 time, but left out when he was drafted. So, humor me. What round and what number in that round was Mike Evans selected? I'll wait.

1 hour ago, Sox said:

It is? I noticed in your examples you stated Tyreek Hill (their playmaker) was a 5th round pick, but when it came to Mike Evans you used his 40 time, but left out when he was drafted. So, humor me. What round and what number in that round was Mike Evans selected? I'll wait.

Yeah, and as you wait remember that it's a fact that we have two 2nd round guys in fold, one of which was drafted #33 one position beyond the 1st round.

People who share your way of thinking, would ignore the more needy and hard to fill offensive line concerns, just to add the best wide receiver to this group.

People who share your way of thinking must not have a damn bit of confidence that Joe Burrow is an elite level QB and one who doesn't need that to be successful.

I don't feel that way! 

3 hours ago, bengaled said:

Yeah, and as you wait remember that it's a fact that we have two 2nd round guys in fold, one of which was drafted #33 one position beyond the 1st round.

People who share your way of thinking, would ignore the more needy and hard to fill offensive line concerns, just to add the best wide receiver to this group.

People who share your way of thinking must not have a damn bit of confidence that Joe Burrow is an elite level QB and one who doesn't need that to be successful.

I don't feel that way! 

You have no idea how I think, and you certainly don't have a clue about what I think about Joe Burrow.

Now since you felt the need to interject your rambling totally unrelated lecture as to what I asked SF2, how about YOU answer the question-what round and position was Mike Evans selected? He used him as an example as to why 2nd round Tyler Boyd would be able to be a #1 receiver, while leaving out some very important facts/data. 

50 minutes ago, Sox said:

He used him as an example as to why 2nd round Tyler Boyd would be able to be a #1 receiver

Ooh can I play? 

Trick question; he would be able because he is able, he's gone out and done it at a high level (at least when the other WR wasn't checked out or made of porcelain.)

No need to explain to me again that the Bengals FO haven't a clue as to building a winning roster & want to keep parking Ferraris in front of their Section 8 project housing.

57 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Ooh can I play? 

Trick question; he would be able because he is able, he's gone out and done it at a high level (at least when the other WR wasn't checked out or made of porcelain.)

No need to explain to me again that the Bengals FO haven't a clue as to building a winning roster & want to keep parking Ferraris in front of their Section 8 project housing.

Yet he hasn't. He's thrown numbers, yet somehow the offense was much worse. Thanks for playing.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:45 AM, T-Dub said:

WR is the most overrated position in football

Pittsburgh may agree with you somewhat..

No 1st round receivers in a dozen years.

Example.

Mike Wallace........3rd

Emanuel Sanders..3rd

Antonio Brown.......6th

Could go on but u get the jist if it..

They put more stock in oline or front 7 

They let their oline finally crap out and now theyre in a bad place..

Guess theyll draft a 1st round wideout to get them out of it..😎

23 hours ago, Sox said:

1st round #7. And prior to this past season how many post seasons games had Evan’s played in?  Zero in 6 years.  The Bucs record the 6 years Evans played before Brady showed up?  34-62. 

If he is such a difference maker, why didn’t he make a difference before Brady arrived?  He was 18th in yards behind a whole bunch of guys picked later than 7th this year.  

BTW, 1 out of 5 examples and Evans had 1 catch for 11 yards in the Super Bowl.  Not exactly a difference maker.   He is a good player but not at $16.5 mil a year and with Brady’s weak arm not exactly a key component.  

The top 5 receivers from the class of 2019 all picked after round 1. 

18 hours ago, Sox said:

You have no idea how I think, and you certainly don't have a clue about what I think about Joe Burrow.

Now since you felt the need to interject your rambling totally unrelated lecture as to what I asked SF2, how about YOU answer the question-what round and position was Mike Evans selected? He used him as an example as to why 2nd round Tyler Boyd would be able to be a #1 receiver, while leaving out some very important facts/data. 

If memory serves me correctly he was a 1st round pick...much as were three players on Tom Brady's offensive line this year.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, spicoli said:

There are a whole lot of people out there that are 100% convinced that Mac Jones is going to SF. I personally have no idea but that would be a nice break for us if it turns out to be true. 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:12 AM, Sox said:

OMG...really? The point is the offense sputtered because he is NOT A #1. Yes he got his yards while playing outside.. he's talented enough to do that, yet the offense died, and you want to point the finger at the supporting cast? So here you go...NO I don't think the next four receivers had anything to do with it, they are what they were...a supporting cast. 

The reality is Boyd is a talented SLOT receiver NOT a #1. The offense will never thrive without a true #1, and Boyd as much as I love him as a slot receiver simply is not, and will never be a #1. Expecting the supporting cast to magically become more talented and to fill the void is...silly.

Totally agree

13 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Pittsburgh may agree with you somewhat..

No 1st round receivers in a dozen years.

Example.

Mike Wallace........3rd

Emanuel Sanders..3rd

Antonio Brown.......6th

Could go on but u get the jist if it..

They put more stock in oline or front 7 

They let their oline finally crap out and now theyre in a bad place..

Guess theyll draft a 1st round wideout to get them out of it..😎

I doubt it. I fully expect them to refortify their OL, as any professionally run organization that consistently goes to the playoffs would do.

Archived