Cleveland Football Team (Episode 2) Week

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Only a silly few ever doubted this. Mixon is going to show up and show out soon enough. The Oline has been blocking better is the story here.

Yes, Jamie, but how much better will Mixon's blocking in the backfield be better for Joe?

Hey, wouldn't it be great to see Optimus Perine with more yards than Chubby?

image.jpeg.7301bd1373f4545e4ece67be9dc19754.jpeg

1 hour ago, MOC said:

And we hear from the ref quite a bit of "#77 reporting eligible, #77 eligible" we'll be in even better shape :gobengals:

That's true but OK, MOC.  With Tormund Giantsbane out I'm OK with Adeniji as an extra blocker vs Garrett and/or Clowney.

Hey, surprise us.  Throw him one.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Yes, Jamie, but how much better will Mixon's blocking in the backfield be better for Joe?

Hey, wouldn't it be great to see Optimus Perine with more yards than Chubby?

image.jpeg.7301bd1373f4545e4ece67be9dc19754.jpeg

That's true but OK, MOC.  With Tormund Giantsbane out I'm OK with Adeniji as an extra blocker vs Garrett and/or Clowney.

Hey, surprise us.  Throw him one.

!st off that's a fucking awesome nickname. 

2nd, Mixon is a bigger threat to take one to the house on any given play than Perine is, that's why he's the starter. His blocking is not as bad as some make it out to be.

First time Mixon has another plodding 3 yard carry where he goes down with first contact, or misses a block, fans are going to be screaming for his head.. And rightly so..

I'd like to see him show why he's the starter over Perine other than relative salary because frankly I'm unconvinced.

37 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

2nd, Mixon is a bigger threat to take one to the house on any given play than Perine is, that's why he's the starter. His blocking is not as bad as some make it out to be.

Take one to the house?   When?  One game where he had 5 TDs doesn’t count.  Other team folded like a cheap suit. 

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

First time Mixon has another plodding 3 yard carry where he goes down with first contact, or misses a block, fans are going to be screaming for his head.. And rightly so..

I'd like to see him show why he's the starter over Perine other than relative salary because frankly I'm unconvinced.

Quite frankly the above is where I'm at on the situation.

While I agree that the OLine has improved and they should get a decent amount of credit, I do see something in Perine that I don't see in Mixon...at least as much anymore from Mixon.  Perine is one of those players who play with off the charts "heart"...he gains yards like his life is depending on it.  He's in the same mold as some of my other favorites such as Hurst, Burkhead, etc.  Players that had critical in-game results greater than their expectations and sometimes greater than their "on paper" skills. 

I'd love to see Mixon come back and have another game like his last, but I'm not holding my breath on that, and I admit I'll have limited patience if he doesn't.

Bottom line for me is yeah give the OLine some due credit, but there's something special about Perine...and to some extent I don't think Mixon is what he used to be for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Take one to the house?   When?  One game where he had 5 TDs doesn’t count.  Other team folded like a cheap suit. 

Yes it counts, but more importantly your missing the point here. The Oline playing better is why Perine has played well in Mixon's absence, they started that in the very game you said doesnt count. So let's see how Mixon does over the next couple of weeks and see just what the actual problem was. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So let's see how Mixon does over the next couple of weeks and see just what the actual problem was. 

Hear me out but..  Why?  Perine's running like his hair's on fire. Making blocks, clutch catches, fighting for extra yards.. All things Mixon wasn't doing and none of those can be blamed on the OL.

Now he goes to the bench because... ?  I DGAF what Mixon's problem was, Perine's been kicking ass.  Why not let him keep kicking ass?

Just now, T-Dub said:

Hear me out but..  Why?  Perine's running like his hair's on fire. Making blocks, clutch catches, fighting for extra yards.. All things Mixon wasn't doing and none of them can be blamed on the OL.

Now he goes to the bench because... ?  I DGAF what Mixon's problem was, Perine's been kicking ass.  Why not let him keep kicking ass?

I just dont agree with this, Mixon was absolutely making catches and fighting for extra yards, the blocking thing is being overhyped, sure Perine blocks well and its why he's the 3rd down back, but Joe isnt as bad at blocking as people make him out to be. I am 100% on the idea that what we are seeing is Oline that has been playing better and given that, do you keep the guy that can get yards, or do you go with the guy who is also a home run threat? Having both is a pretty nice problem to have, but Taylor just answered that question today. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

We’ll see what Mixon does.  The eye test says Mixon runs WAY softer than Perine, and isn’t some amazing speed back.  Hopefully he is motivated by the challenge. 

Oh I fully expect the narrative to be Mixon was pushed by Perine rather than the Oline is playing better. Doen't make it true.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Oh I fully expect the narrative to be Mixon was pushed by Perine rather than the Oline is playing better. Doen't make it true.

Please.  Acting like none of this is on Mixon is BS.  He runs soft.  Statistics back it up.  He doesn’t break tackles.  Perine is out there running over guys.  Acting like this doesn’t matter just isn’t correct. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Please.  Acting like none of this is on Mixon is BS.  He runs soft.  Statistics back it up.  He doesn’t break tackles.  Perine is out there running over guys.  Acting like this doesn’t matter just isn’t correct. 

Nonsense

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah the OL isn't stiff arming defenders to the turf.  Sure they're playing better.  So is Perine.

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Seriously. This is starting to get comical. 

The narrative is chameleon like, first it's Joe is cooked, he scores 5 TDs in a game (that apparently doesn't count) and the running game takes off from there, and it's Perine doing it, if Joe comes back and lights it up, the narrative is already hinted at that "we can't afford to keep him" if we want to keep everyone else. 

Joe Mixon will be here until his contract is up.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The nickname is plagiarized.  I saw it on Cincy Jungle or Bengals Wire so I can't take credit for it.

With Hurst out we will see a lot of Adeniji on the line probably across from Garrett whenever possible.

This will help Mixon as a running back.

However, Mixon gives me a real case of the willies when it comes to protecting Joe Burrow.  Not good, Perine better at that.

Perine seems to get positive yardage with every touch.  Maybe not break one, but he can stiff arm and bully his way for 3+ or more

far more often than not.

Mixon may break more for big yardage but more often than not he is dancing or bumping into the line for no gain.

I think... have to go back and check to make sure... he had fewer than 20 yards in a half when the concussion occurred.  

Somehow I missed the replay of when he got cold cocked.

All a moot point.  Zac said he's starting and I'm sure he will do well with the extra motivation.

I simply hope he does not get Athens Joe killed in the process.

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The nickname is plagiarized.  I saw it on Cincy Jungle or Bengals Wire so I can't take credit for it.

With Hurst out we will see a lot of Adeniji on the line probably across from Garrett whenever possible.

This will help Mixon as a running back.

However, Mixon gives me a real case of the willies when it comes to protecting Joe Burrow.  Not good, Perine better at that.

Perine seems to get positive yardage with every touch.  Maybe not break one, but he can stiff arm and bully his way for 3+ or more

far more often than not.

Mixon may break more for big yardage but more often than not he is dancing or bumping into the line for no gain.

I think... have to go back and check to make sure... he had fewer than 20 yards in a half when the concussion occurred.  

Somehow I missed the replay of when he got cold cocked.

All a moot point.  Zac said he's starting and I'm sure he will do well with the extra motivation.

I simply hope he does not get Athens Joe killed in the process.

Im not sure Hurst being out is going to bring Adiniji in, he wasn't inactive when Hurst went down, and instead we just saw Wilcox come in as TE1. I'm not sure that changes.

I was watching some low lights of desean Watson practicing in cold Cleveland he looked stiff and balls were low. He didn’t seem to want to be out in cold. He played in Houston. Hoping he is hit early often and confuse him. We have to stop run, easier said than done. Punter kick it out of bounds. They ran back a return last week. Hear an article talking about Watson desire to play in warm weather. 
Report: Deshaun Watson doesn't want to play in cold weather 

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/report-deshaun-watson-doesnt-want-to-play-in-cold-weather

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Im not sure Hurst being out is going to bring Adiniji in, he wasn't inactive when Hurst went down, and instead we just saw Wilcox come in as TE1. I'm not sure that changes.

My thinking is the running game has clicked esp for Mixon when Adeniji has been in.  I recall seeing 77 in the end zone on a replay of a Perine touchdown, too.

Just thinking that since we are down an Oline hybrid, we may see more of him for blocking.

Also thinking we need someone on the Oline to help Athens Joe from getting killed because we know Disco Joe is useless as a pass protector in the backfield.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

My thinking is the running game has clicked esp for Mixon when Adeniji has been in.  I recall seeing 77 in the end zone on a replay of a Perine touchdown, too.

Just thinking that since we are down an Oline hybrid, we may see more of him for blocking.

Also thinking we need someone on the Oline to help Athens Joe from getting killed because we know Disco Joe is useless as a pass protector in the backfield.

I'd have to go back and look but i'm pretty sure all of the big runs Perine had were with normal packages, not the jumbo one, same with Mixon's 5 TD game, which my contention here is that was the game that things clicked for the Oline. We're going to see Mixon play well coming back imho

I also dont agree that Mixon doesn't block, I do agree he's not as good at it as Perine which is why he's in on 3rd down instead of Joe, but don't agree that he doesn't do it.

Archived