Jump to content

2023 Free Agency thread


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Show-me-the-money GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yes...

The Bears have around 100mil cap space so signing Higgins as a playmaker for Fields would be ideal plus they have first pick in draft to pick or trade..

 

Bears could be a force in the NFCN next year..

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes...

The Bears have around 100mil cap space so signing Higgins as a playmaker for Fields would be ideal plus they have first pick in draft to pick or trade..

 

Bears could be a force in the NFCN next year..

 

$92 million is around $100m I guess. 
 

A billion here…a billion there…pretty soon you’re talking about real money. 
 

All good…except Tee is still under contract here. 
 

Have you even seen any scuttlebutt from the Bears?

 

Squawking Head media projecting they “may target” these guys

 

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/ContentGallery/Top-5-Free-Agents-to-target-in-2023-for-the-Chicago-Bears-200167233/Amp/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd prefer to keep Tee but you have to draw the line somewhere. For me it would be at 20 mil per year in new money on an extension. Keep his low base salary for 2023 but his cap hit would go up from the new signing bonus proration.

 

If we have to trade him, he would have a market as he's better than any WR in this draft and probably better than Drake London, the first WR in last year's draft. 

 

Bears could sign Orlando Brown as a free agent, trade down from pick 1 once or twice and flip a top 10 pick for Tee. Bengals could take Paris Johnson with that pick, then any of lots of good players at 28. Trading Tee and cutting Mixon while letting Bates leave sets the table to extend Bell, Hurst, Pratt, Wilson, and Burrow. Probably Apple too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

$92 million is around $100m I guess. 
 

A billion here…a billion there…pretty soon you’re talking about real money. 
 

All good…except Tee is still under contract here. 
 

Have you even seen any scuttlebutt from the Bears?

Under contract yes.

Maybe they let him play out his contract next year.

Then they lose him with but a comp pick.

 

There's sufficient need for the Bears to upgrade Fields arsenal...

Money isn't a problem with them so..

 

No rumors..just an idea..😊

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd prefer to keep Tee but you have to draw the line somewhere. For me it would be at 20 mil per year in new money on an extension. Keep his low base salary for 2023 but his cap hit would go up from the new signing bonus proration.

 

If we have to trade him, he would have a market as he's better than any WR in this draft and probably better than Drake London, the first WR in last year's draft. 

 

Bears could sign Orlando Brown as a free agent, trade down from pick 1 once or twice and flip a top 10 pick for Tee. Bengals could take Paris Johnson with that pick, then any of lots of good players at 28. Trading Tee and cutting Mixon while letting Bates leave sets the table to extend Bell, Hurst, Pratt, Wilson, and Burrow. Probably Apple too. 

Ill ride with that scenario..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any drafted WR is not going to produce the numbers for at least a season in place with Tee right now. 
 

How many clutch receptions and TD catches can this team afford to lose in 2023? Trenton Irwin won’t be making it up. Heavy duty dice throwing. 
 

This isn’t worrying—it’s just common sense. Or dollars and cents..I don’t know. 
 

Unless St. Joseph needs every dime, then I guess you take your chances. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Wouldn't put it past them..or the NFL.  

 

And these squawking media harpies...how the literal fuck would they know if Tee or the Man in the Moon "could be traded"--like it is some actual quote by an actual human being with actual interconnected ties to the Bengals? 

 

I need to stay away from this annoying shit. 

 

 

Anyone under contract could be traded. This story is a nothingburger with a side of sour grapes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Any drafted WR is not going to produce the numbers for at least a season in place with Tee right now. 
 

How many clutch receptions and TD catches can this team afford to lose in 2023? Trenton Irwin won’t be making it up. Heavy duty dice throwing. 
 

This isn’t worrying—it’s just common sense. Or dollars and cents..I don’t know. 
 

Unless St. Joseph needs every dime, then I guess you take your chances. 

 

More inclined to trade Boyd if we're forced to choose. Think that's $8-9m off the books?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Here's another conspiracy theory:  the national media really want to see this team broken up for spare parts & the top talent playing in larger markets.

 

Yeah let's not forget Stephen A actually suggested the league shouldn't let the Bengals draft Joe because "the franchise doesn't deserve him".  Not to mention the (typical) fake rumours that he didn't want to come to Cincinnati.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

$92 million is around $100m I guess. 
 

A billion here…a billion there…pretty soon you’re talking about real money. 
 

All good…except Tee is still under contract here. 
 

Have you even seen any scuttlebutt from the Bears?

 

Squawking Head media projecting they “may target” these guys

 

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/ContentGallery/Top-5-Free-Agents-to-target-in-2023-for-the-Chicago-Bears-200167233/Amp/

 

 

I think the Bears will have cap at 115mil come free agency less team signings beforehand....

 

Bears have never been in this position to get a winner in decades.

 

Very interested to watch how they make this team into a division power or blotch the whole thing..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I think the Bears are will have cap at 115mil come free agency less team signings beforehand....

 

Bears have never been in this position to get a winner in decades.

 

Very interested to watch how they make this team into a division power or blotch the whole thing..

 

 

NFCN does seem pretty open..  Detroit is Detroit & Discount Doublecheck seems like he's been boofing too much bug powder with Joe Rogan..  Yes the Vikings were somehow 13-4 but couldn't beat the 9-7 Giants in their own dome.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Wouldn't put it past them..or the NFL.  

 

And these squawking media harpies...how the literal fuck would they know if Tee or the Man in the Moon "could be traded"--like it is some actual quote by an actual human being with actual interconnected ties to the Bengals? 

 

I need to stay away from this annoying shit. 


I do think we have established one thing about the Brown regime over the years, they could give two shits what the NFL wants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a precedent out there to trade WRs that want huge contracts.  Not to say that will Happen with Higgins, but who knows.  
 

I don’t know why some of y’all watch this crap.  These talking heads need stuff to scream about, and particularly stuff that will get somebody all twisted. Don’t take the bait. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The teams that traded for star receivers last offseason had cheap QBs. Tua and Hurts were on their rookie deals and Carr was pretty cheap for a franchise QB. If Bengals extend Burrow this offseason, they will be hard pressed to give Tee the money he'd command on the open market. So they may well consider trading him to a team which can afford that. He certainly has trade value, it's just a matter of who the Bengals want to keep. He might cost more than Bell, Hurst, and Apple combined. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The teams that traded for star receivers last offseason had cheap QBs. Tua and Hurts were on their rookie deals and Carr was pretty cheap for a franchise QB. If Bengals extend Burrow this offseason, they will be hard pressed to give Tee the money he'd command on the open market. So they may well consider trading him to a team which can afford that. He certainly has trade value, it's just a matter of who the Bengals want to keep. He might cost more than Bell, Hurst, and Apple combined. 

 

Lose Collins, Apple & Mixon. There's at least $15m free.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apple is already a free agent so if he goes elsewhere, it doesn't save the Bengals any money as he's not on their current cap. Cutting Mixon and Collins saves about 13 mil for the pair but also means we need to find a new RT (as well as an Apple replacement).

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Apple is already a free agent so if he goes elsewhere, it doesn't save the Bengals any money as he's not on their current cap. Cutting Mixon and Collins saves about 13 mil for the pair but also means we need to find a new RT (as well as an Apple replacement).

 

Im curious about two things.

1. How much will collins even play next year

2. Can you cut a hurt vet?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Im curious about two things.

1. How much will collins even play next year

2. Can you cut a hurt vet?

 

 

That's where I'm at, we already had to find a new RT when it mattered with Collins on the roster.  The way the contract is structured makes it clear they were concerned, & rightfully so..  He was getting an extra $100k per game start, $150k next year and $175k in 2024.  There's also an extra mil incentive at both 80% & 90% availability - I've not seen a contract like his before.

 

To your second point; hthat contract also has a buyout but I'm uncertain as to how that works even aside from being "injured" since he arrived here.  Maybe someone else can clarify.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/lael-collins-17403/

 

Credit to Spotrac for having by far the best contract breakdowns I've found online

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Collins contract is team friendly, I think he stays, but I am very much in favor of drafting a RT very early. I do not want Adiniji on this team next year.

 

 

Hoping a rookie plays well enough to make him miss those incentives is probably the smart move, but there is an out in his contract.  Not sure if that costs beyond the dead cap money or  how exactly that would work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Hoping a rookie plays well enough to make him miss those incentives is probably the smart move, but there is an out in his contract.  Not sure if that costs beyond the dead cap money or  how exactly that would work.

 

I'd love to see camp battles at both tackle spots. If we somehow got very lucky and Carman can be the guy at LT going into the future, things might end up being ok. Fingers crossed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...